Learning to Draw!

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

defanatic
Jedi Knight

Learning to Draw!

Post by defanatic »

I'm currently learning to draw, and figure my way around this tablet thing. I've done a few pictures, but I'm quite proud of this one.

Erm... What do you guys think?

EDIT: Err... I realise the picture is too wide for my monitor, at least. What do I do?

EDIT2: This should be better.
>>Your head hurts.

>>Quaff painkillers

>>Your head no longer hurts.
Darth Ruinus
Jedi Master

Re: Learning to Draw!

Post by Darth Ruinus »

2 things stand out to me. The first is his head, or rather one of the straps of that gas mask. The strap on the left doesn't seem to make sense. Shouldn't it curve right, following the curve of his head? Also, the shadow on the tree he is leaning against implies the lightsource is coming from the top left corner of the picture, but the shadow he casts implies the lightsource is directly infront of him. (Damn, that probably doesn't make sense.)

Those are minor things though, they just stood out to me. But besides that this is a pretty cool drawing, is it based off of anything?
"I don't believe in man made global warming because God promised to never again destroy the earth with water. He sent the rainbow as a sign."
- Sean Hannity Forums user Avi

"And BTW the concept of carbon based life is only a hypothesis based on the abiogensis theory, and there is no clear evidence for it."
-Mazen707 informing me about the facts on carbon-based life.
aimless
Youngling

Post by aimless »

In terms of graphic design you can probably try moving/cropping the frame around a bit as well as the text, but as for the rest it looks pretty good. I guess I don't know what you were trying to accomplish but you've at least gotten to a level where most everything looks like you meant it to be that way :)

I like the color scheme, I like the funny Dr. Seuss look of the mushroom cloud (thought it was a tree in the thumbnail hehe). I think you could do more with the shadows (the prev. posters question: is the light source coming from the blast or something else?), which would liven up the ground and I suspect do some other nice things.
defanatic
Jedi Knight

Post by defanatic »

Yeah. Apparently my mushroom cloud looks like a tree, which begs the question, what does my tree look like?

The light is supposed to be coming from a setting sun or something like that. I do need to do something with the ground. It looks mostly empty, and yes, the shadows are bad. I did them at different times, so clearly my mind wandered a bit. Oops. :P
>>Your head hurts.

>>Quaff painkillers

>>Your head no longer hurts.