Memorial Day Cake

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Isolder74
Official SD.Net Ace of Cakes

Memorial Day Cake

Post by Isolder74 »

Behold my newest cake for the Family Memorial Day Picnic!

Just a simple American Flag. Nothing too fancy, other then the cake is blue and red inside.

Comments are as always welcome
Hapan Battle Dragons Rule!
When you want peace prepare for war! --Confusious
That was disapointing ..Should we show this Federation how to build a ship so we may have worthy foes? Typhonis 1
The Prince of The Writer's Guild|HAB Spacewolf Tank General| God Bless America!
Isolder74

Re: Memorial Day Cake

Post by Isolder74 »

Update!

Just got back and here are shots of the inside of the cake.

That was disapointing ..Should we show this Federation how to build a ship so we may have worthy foes? Typhonis 1
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Post by Phantasee »

Oh man, I was concerned the red inside would have been something awful like rasberry jam or something. I hate cakes with that layer, and it's like every cake you can get has it.

That's a pretty cake, Is.
XXXI
Isolder74

Post by Isolder74 »

Phantasee wrote:Oh man, I was concerned the red inside would have been something awful like rasberry jam or something. I hate cakes with that layer, and it's like every cake you can get has it.

That's a pretty cake, Is.
Thanks, I do try to be more creative then that. I wouldn't make a cake with the raspberry stuff as i can't stand that. Actually Perhaps blueberry jam might make a good filling.
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Post by Phantasee »

I'll try a blueberry jam cake, but I won't lie to you, nobody I know likes the raspberry fillings. Yet it's almost impossible to find a store-bought cake that doesn't have that...
XXXI
Isolder74

Post by Isolder74 »

Phantasee wrote:I'll try a blueberry jam cake, but I won't lie to you, nobody I know likes the raspberry fillings. Yet it's almost impossible to find a store-bought cake that doesn't have that...
Nobody I know likes the stuff either. Makes sense actually that they use it alot as they get it in 50 gallon drums. The stuff is mostly sugar but they like Raspberry as it is strong flavor so it doesn't take much real jam to flavor the stuff. Like I said I don't like the stuff so I'll never use it. It is just a cheap out, in my opinion, rather then a true filling. I'd rather use ganache or a pudding or something else instead that actually shows I put some effort into making the cake rather then just slapping it together.

I also think they use it because it basically goes with anything so they can just slap it on cake after cake without worry about what the final outer frosting it is going to be. So it feels just plain lazy to me.
Dark Flame
Jedi Master

Post by Dark Flame »

How did it taste? It sure looks good!

Also, what method did you use to make the different colored layers? Did you put food coloring in the batter and just bake two seperate cakes and stack them up?
"Have you ever been fucked in the ass? because if you have you will understand why we have that philosophy"
- Alyrium Denryle, on HAB's policy of "Too much is almost enough"

"The jacketed ones are, but we're talking carefully-placed shits here. "-out of context, by Stuart
Isolder74

Post by Isolder74 »

Dark Flame wrote:How did it taste? It sure looks good!

Also, what method did you use to make the different colored layers? Did you put food coloring in the batter and just bake two seperate cakes and stack them up?
It tasted really good.

I colored the batter and baked them in separate pans. I leveled the cake and put the cut sides together making the final cake more square. I used icing, not enough for my sister, to attach the layers together then frosted the cake. The icing didn't seem as much because the cut cake soaks it up, sis :roll: .
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Phantasee wrote:I'll try a blueberry jam cake, but I won't lie to you, nobody I know likes the raspberry fillings. Yet it's almost impossible to find a store-bought cake that doesn't have that...
I like all flavors of jam filling. I hate that generic food-colouring sponge you have there though; chocolate sponge is ok but the usual tasteless stuff is nasty.
Isolder74

Post by Isolder74 »

Starglider wrote:
I like all flavors of jam filling. I hate that generic food-colouring sponge you have there though; chocolate sponge is ok but the usual tasteless stuff is nasty.
I'm not going to get offended by that under the premise that you have never eaten a made from scratch Butter cake in your life. It is totally different from one made from a box.

Vanilla is hardly tasteless, buster. A true butter cake is not anything to poke fun at. You should try one sometime.

BTW a sponge cake is totally different leavened by egg white foam rather then baking powder and creamed butter. Best for tress de leche.