LEGO roadster

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Bounty
Emperor's Hand

LEGO roadster

Post by Bounty »

After discovering that Lego Digital Designer for some reason works better in Wine than it does in XP, I've given it another go. Behold, the result of literally minutes of mixing and matching parts:

It's a minifig-scale, two-seater, rear-engine, rear-wheel-drive open-top roadster.

View of the cabin

The chassis

RogueIce
_______

Re: LEGO roadster

Post by RogueIce »

And apparently, it will be defeated by the first speed bump it comes across. :razz:

I like your seat design, though. I might use that instead of the chair pieces. Since those actually take up three bricks of width because of the back.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

Wheels are always a problem. The realistically-sized ones looks ridiculous and you have the problem that you can't really do proper suspension without a boatload of Technic and wasted space. If I ever find a decent solution I'd be a happy man.

My seats take up three bricks too - one studded to secure the figure, one smooth, and the back, but you can integrate that into the rear wall if you colour-coordinate.

And come on now, there's at least 1/3 of a brick's worth of clearance there :P
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Bounty wrote:Wheels are always a problem. The realistically-sized ones looks ridiculous and you have the problem that you can't really do proper suspension without a boatload of Technic and wasted space. If I ever find a decent solution I'd be a happy man.
You and me both. Really my thing is getting decent wheel wells. I have to really make shit up on this. And of course the silly Minifig scale. Stupid fat blocky bastards. Makes doors a PITA, unless I want to use the red, which doesn't really fit in with a lot. And my (or rather, LDD's solution which I blatently copied) means the minifig has to stick his arm up to fit. Ah well...
Bounty wrote:My seats take up three bricks too - one studded to secure the figure, one smooth, and the back, but you can integrate that into the rear wall if you colour-coordinate.
Yeah, should have realized that. Silly me. Looks better than the chair though, at least for vehicle seating.
Bounty wrote:And come on now, there's at least 1/3 of a brick's worth of clearance there :P
Have fun with that. :razz:
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

Outside of LDD I use vertical thin bricks mounted on a sideways double hinge for doors (basically, one hinge is locked to keep the door construction at 90° from the car, the other opens the door). It looks decent and it means you can have the full eight-stud width for the minifig, as the doors are technically outside the body. Looking at the parts it should be pretty easy to make Lambo-style "scissor" doors - it's too bad there aren't many Technic hinges 'cause I'd have loved to make a gullwing.

I used to have the plans for a neat convertible targa design. I had a T-shaped roof structure (windscreen + sides), and the roof was stored on double hinges underneath a cover plate that lifted and rotated into place. There's not enough parts in LDD to do it, though. I don't suppose there's any expansion packs?
Memnon
Padawan Learner

Post by Memnon »

I don't know if the app will let you use them, but I just built a lego model that uses a rubber band :P
that would be a good way of cutting down on technic pieces, though it would probably be hard to use if it is implemented XD
Are you accusing me of not having a viable magnetic field? - Masaq' Hub, Look to Windward
JointStrikeFighter
Worthless Trolling Palm-Fucker

Post by JointStrikeFighter »

Except all those lego kits which use rubber band suspension?
Memnon
Padawan Learner

Post by Memnon »

JointStrikeFighter wrote:Except all those lego kits which use rubber band suspension?
Well, I meant hard to use in the Digital Designer app.
Are you accusing me of not having a viable magnetic field? - Masaq' Hub, Look to Windward
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Bounty wrote:After discovering that Lego Digital Designer for some reason works better in Wine than it does in XP, I've given it another go. Behold, the result of literally minutes of mixing and matching parts:
Very nice! I like this a lot.
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

Thanks. I was going to modify the bottom edge of the body to angle inward a bit and reduce the brickishness but since the original design files died with the laptop my next one will have to be a completely new build.
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Bounty wrote:Thanks. I was going to modify the bottom edge of the body to angle inward a bit and reduce the brickishness but since the original design files died with the laptop my next one will have to be a completely new build.
I was going to ask, was there any particular reason you used the two-part hinge as seen on the left instead of something like the parts in the center? It would get rid of the gap above the hinge that's visible in front of the tail lights on the sides.

Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

Force of habit. That's how I built cars IRL :P