Smithsonian Air & Space Museum (With Shep!)

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Smithsonian Air & Space Museum (With Shep!)

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

An extraction from my USA trip, Washington DC: The Air and Space museum complex (part of the Smithsonian). Also includes Shep.
I'll leave additional annotations to Shepy-poo :P
IMG_2121
IMG_2119
IMG_2116
IMG_2112
IMG_2108
NCC 1701

IMG_2102
IMG_2099
IMG_2097
IMG_2096
infrared

IMG_2093
IR

IMG_2091
IMG_2085
IMG_2078
IMG_2076
IMG_2073
IMG_2072
IMG_2062
Quantification!

IMG_2061
IMG_2057
aces

IMG_2051
IMG_2046
IMG_2043
IMG_2030
IMG_2038
bullseye

IMG_2026
IMG_2029
IMG_2023
zeppelin

IMG_2025
IMG_2021
aerogel

IMG_2013
Shep

a quickr pickr post
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Re: Smithsonian Air & Space Museum (With Shep!)

Post by Broomstick »

Someone pass me a drool bucket, please.

Dammit, I've been wanting to visit there for years!
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Broomstick wrote:Someone pass me a drool bucket, please.

I have a lot more photos from there (that I didn't upload). Anything you're particularily interested in? :). (We didn't visit the annex though)
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Mostly, I just wanted to go and soak up the ambiance. For a pilot, being around that much aviation history would be amazing.

But, mostly, I'm interested in civilian and pre-1950 aviation.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Broomstick wrote:Mostly, I just wanted to go and soak up the ambiance. For a pilot, being around that much aviation history would be amazing.

But, mostly, I'm interested in civilian and pre-1950 aviation.
The exhibition hall on that subject was Awesome, from the history, the early aircraft, the uniforms...
Photography
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Like I said, pass me a drool bucket.

Now that I've satisfied that decades-long desire to fly a Stearman biplane my next Impossible Dream is to get into the cockpit of a Jenny. Even more wildly unlikely, unless I become a tens-of-millionaire and buy/restore one myself. >sigh<

The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Broomstick wrote:Like I said, pass me a drool bucket.

Now that I've satisfied that decades-long desire to fly a Stearman biplane my next Impossible Dream is to get into the cockpit of a Jenny. Even more wildly unlikely, unless I become a tens-of-millionaire and buy/restore one myself. >sigh<
Fair nuff, mine's to steal a SR-71 Blackbird (Or a modern B-2) and to pilot it after having it painted bright blue, while firing fireworks out of the window.
Photography
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Great pics. Makes me wish I had something better than a Instamatic with 110 film during my two visits back in the late 1980s.
Broomstick wrote:Someone pass me a drool bucket, please.

You've never been? They just had a big fly-in at the Udvar-Hazy Center just over a week ago with 60+ aircraft. But the best part about NASM and the annex is the free admission. :) That goes for all of the Smithsonian's museums, of course. Hope you get to go some time!
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

FSTargetDrone wrote: But the best part about NASM and the annex is the free admission. :) That goes for all of the Smithsonian's museums, of course. Hope you get to go some time!
Well, it's pretty much all I did in DC (I did everything in the Smithsonian institutes apart from the Indian museum), and all for free! Huzzah! (I did't even need to pay for the subway, my hostel was just 35 minutes walk from the strip :D).
Even the national monument was free (And offers great views!)
Photography
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

FSTargetDrone wrote:You've never been? They just had a big fly-in at the Udvar-Hazy Center just over a week ago with 60+ aircraft.
>sigh<... No, I've never been
Hope you get to go some time!
Started planning a DC vacation - including that museum, among others - about 5 or 6 years ago. It's been one crisis after another since then. And now I'm a bit short of funds for traveling. I'm sure I'll get there one day, but life has been interfering with my vacation plans for some time now.

Anguirus
Sith Marauder

Post by Anguirus »

When were you there, man? I was just there a few days ago.

Also: why did you photograph the non-detailed side of the Enterprise? :P
"I spit on metaphysics, sir."

"I pity the woman you marry." -Liberty

This is the guy they want to use to win over "young people?" Are they completely daft? I'd rather vote for a pile of shit than a Jesus freak social regressive.
Here's hoping that his political career goes down in flames and, hopefully, a hilarious gay sex scandal.
-Tanasinn
You can't expect sodomy to ruin every conservative politician in this country. -Battlehymn Republic
My blog, please check out and comment! http://decepticylon.blogspot.com
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Anguirus wrote:When were you there, man? I was just there a few days ago.
It was the second place in my USA trip, so about... 18-22.5.2009
Photography
Anguirus
Sith Marauder

Post by Anguirus »

Heh, that was about when I was busy graduating college. :D
"I spit on metaphysics, sir."

"I pity the woman you marry." -Liberty

This is the guy they want to use to win over "young people?" Are they completely daft? I'd rather vote for a pile of shit than a Jesus freak social regressive.
Here's hoping that his political career goes down in flames and, hopefully, a hilarious gay sex scandal.
-Tanasinn
You can't expect sodomy to ruin every conservative politician in this country. -Battlehymn Republic
My blog, please check out and comment! http://decepticylon.blogspot.com
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Anguirus wrote:Heh, that was about when I was busy graduating college. :D
Well, see you next time i'm there then. Probably when you'll have a phd due :P
Photography