Space doodles

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Melchior
Jedi Master

Space doodles

Post by Melchior »

A pair of quickly coloured classroom sketches with a "space travel" theme (actually, the first one is a point-defence missile):

Darth Ruinus
Jedi Master

Re: Space doodles

Post by Darth Ruinus »

The first one is a missile?
Those are pretty cool, I wish I could do that, since I've never been good at coloring pictures.
"I don't believe in man made global warming because God promised to never again destroy the earth with water. He sent the rainbow as a sign."
- Sean Hannity Forums user Avi

"And BTW the concept of carbon based life is only a hypothesis based on the abiogensis theory, and there is no clear evidence for it."
-Mazen707 informing me about the facts on carbon-based life.
Melchior
Jedi Master

Post by Melchior »

Darth Ruinus wrote:The first one is a missile?
Yes, and a three stage one at that. It's meant to be cold-launched with a railgun (the end of the rails are visibile on the left) to help escaping detection; it's also equipped with its own deployable interferometer (detail inspired by a discussion on sensors that I read on this board, actually).
Melchior
Jedi Master

Post by Melchior »

This picture, not being a doodle, isn't exactly on topic, but there isn't probably any need for a new thread.

It's my first serious attempt at modelling, texturing and rendering something cohesive, and, as such, is generally built around my ignorance of most the functions of the software I'm using (Modo, if anyone is interested; old version, I haven't yet updated to the new student edition).
Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

Now you're talking...
'Alright guard, begin the unnecessarily slow moving dipping mechanism...' - Dr. Evil

'Secondly, I don't see why "income inequality" is a bad thing. Poverty is not an injustice. There is no such thing as causes for poverty, only causes for wealth. Poverty is not a wrong, but taking money from those who have it to equalize incomes is basically theft, which is wrong.' - Typical Randroid

'I think it's gone a little bit wrong.' - The Doctor
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Post by Phantasee »

Fins! Are those supposed to solar panels or radiator fins? I dig it.
XXXI
Melchior
Jedi Master

Post by Melchior »

Phantasee wrote:Fins! Are those supposed to solar panels or radiator fins? I dig it.
Radiators. Since the thing has several nuclear reactors (the thrusters are VASIMRs and need electrical power) they are probably unrealistically undersized, but bigger ones would have visually unbalanced the design.

Better picture (featuring simulated depth of field), from a different viewpoint:

Memnon
Padawan Learner

Post by Memnon »

Melchior wrote:
Phantasee wrote:Fins! Are those supposed to solar panels or radiator fins? I dig it.
Radiators. Since the thing has several nuclear reactors (the thrusters are VASIMRs and need electrical power) they are probably unrealistically undersized, but bigger ones would have visually unbalanced the design.

Better picture (featuring simulated depth of field), from a different viewpoint:

What I like best about these pictures is the way the light plays off of the render. Despite its somewhat staid and serious structure, the way it's washed out in light gives it a sort of lightness of being :P Also, it's pretty sweet anyways.

Just one thing- is anyone else getting some weird text picture for the missile?
Are you accusing me of not having a viable magnetic field? - Masaq' Hub, Look to Windward
Melchior
Jedi Master

Post by Melchior »

Memnon wrote: Just one thing- is anyone else getting some weird text picture for the missile?
Try this one. Does it work?
EDIT: Might have something to do with this.

I'm reworking the model into something rather bigger:

Melchior
Jedi Master

Post by Melchior »

Some slow progress:

Memnon
Padawan Learner

Post by Memnon »

Melchior wrote:Some slow progress:
pic
It looks somewhat bloated as it is now, though I like where the nose is going. Possibly a different point of view (one where everything is showing) would help?
Are you accusing me of not having a viable magnetic field? - Masaq' Hub, Look to Windward
Melchior
Jedi Master

Post by Melchior »

Memnon wrote:
pic
It looks somewhat bloated as it is now, though I like where the nose is going. Possibly a different point of view (one where everything is showing) would help?
That image was framed to avoid showing anything that was grossly unfinished. For reference:
Memnon
Padawan Learner

Post by Memnon »

Melchior wrote:
Memnon wrote:
pic
That image was framed to avoid showing anything that was grossly unfinished. For reference:
[side view]
Oh, I see. Hm, what is the boom for? And are the engines (or reactors) properly sized for that big of a load? o.o
Melchior
Jedi Master

Post by Melchior »

Memnon wrote: Oh, I see. Hm, what is the boom for? And are the engines (or reactors) properly sized for that big of a load? o.o
Boom? You mean the long, featureless, flat deck? It will house additional reactors, engines, and reaction mass (and will end with a suitably impressive prow).
Memnon
Padawan Learner

Post by Memnon »

Melchior wrote:
Memnon wrote: Oh, I see. Hm, what is the boom for? And are the engines (or reactors) properly sized for that big of a load? o.o
Boom? You mean the long, featureless, flat deck? It will house additional reactors, engines, and reaction mass (and will end with a suitably impressive prow).
oh, that makes a lot more sense than what I was thinking. In my mind, it was some kind of air forklift, hence my thinking that it should have bigger engines XD
looking forward to see what emerges from the blank canvas, then!