Cake Ideas.

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Isolder74
Official SD.Net Ace of Cakes

Cake Ideas.

Post by Isolder74 »

Now this is meant as a serious question. So I don't want any smart aleck remarks.

My birthday is coming up and I am having a hard time coming up with ideas for a cake for my birthday. I was wondering if any of you have any good ideas for making into a cake for my birthday? It needs to be something I can make quickly so nothing too elaborate

Edit: I have two problems. Only about a half a day to decorate a cake and no ideas so keep suggestions fairly uncomplicated.
Last edited by Isolder74 on 2009-07-24 02:19am, edited 1 time in total.
Hapan Battle Dragons Rule!
When you want peace prepare for war! --Confusious
That was disapointing ..Should we show this Federation how to build a ship so we may have worthy foes? Typhonis 1
The Prince of The Writer's Guild|HAB Spacewolf Tank General| God Bless America!
ZGundam
Padawan Learner

Re: Cake Ideas.

Post by ZGundam »

My wife does this almost all the time. She makes all sorts of cakes based of what the person likes or their hobbies.

So what are your hobbies or what activities do you like?
Isolder74

Post by Isolder74 »

Star Wars, Star Trek, classic Sci-fi. Fantasy, Lord of the Rings. Lots of stuff.

I have made lots of cakes buildings, car's, trucks, Star Destroyer, Turkeys.......Check out the other threads of mine on cakes. Do a search on Isolder74 and cakes.

I'm just short on ideas for the moment.
That was disapointing ..Should we show this Federation how to build a ship so we may have worthy foes? Typhonis 1
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

Try a Moebius strip cake (artistically represented, not for real). Artistic and a cinch.
"The rest of the poem plays upon that pun. On the contrary, says Catullus, although my verses are soft (molliculi ac parum pudici in line 8, reversing the play on words), they can arouse even limp old men. Should Furius and Aurelius have any remaining doubts about Catullus' virility, he offers to fuck them anally and orally to prove otherwise." - Catullus 16, Wikipedia
Isolder74

Post by Isolder74 »

Pick wrote:Try a Moebius strip cake (artistically represented, not for real). Artistic and a cinch.
That would end up looking like a number 8. But that isn't a bad idea.
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

That's what lines are for. Also, it should ideally be shaped slightly differently than an 8, as the strips are. Some people should "get" it, anyway. Besides, it's cake!

You could also do an artistic representation of a Klein bottle, I suppose.
"The rest of the poem plays upon that pun. On the contrary, says Catullus, although my verses are soft (molliculi ac parum pudici in line 8, reversing the play on words), they can arouse even limp old men. Should Furius and Aurelius have any remaining doubts about Catullus' virility, he offers to fuck them anally and orally to prove otherwise." - Catullus 16, Wikipedia
Faabio
Padawan Learner

Post by Faabio »

Some sort of a shield with the white tree of gondor on it or some other sign from Middle-earth perhaps? Pretty simple in cake shape and more challenging with the frosting and stuff for the image you choose for it.

Or some other symbol from different scifi in cake form. The star trek pin/communicator, the warhammer aquila or the rebel symbol from SW just from the top of my head. I hope those are some help for you.
Isolder74

Post by Isolder74 »

Faabio wrote: The star trek pin/communicator
I already made one of those.
squidman001
Padawan Learner

Post by squidman001 »

If you'd like to really take things up to the next notch, you could always do a Balrog. That would be pretty interesting.
"Generally I find that killing mice is easier if you use your mind." Ford Prefect

"It's like a camel pissed on raspberries and then they bottled it."
The Spartan
Sith Marauder

Post by The Spartan »

I can't recall if you've done a Yoda cake yet, if not, why not that? Or Vader?

Just thinking in terms of Star Wars here.

What about a Ywing? It would let you sculpt a little bit without getting too elaborate.
The Gentleman from Texas abstains. Discourteously.
PRFYNAFBTFC-Vice Admiral: MFS Masturbating Walrus :: Omine subtilite Odobenus rosmarus masturbari
Soy un perdedor.
"WHO POOPED IN A NORMAL ROOM?!"-Commander William T. Riker
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

How about a battleship cake for a challenge?

EDIT: Like this
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Isolder74

Post by Isolder74 »

Thanas wrote:How about a battleship cake for a challenge?

EDIT: Like this
Good but I don't have the time for something that elaborate.
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

A castle cake. You can slope the walls to make it more stable and make the parapet out of a solid sweet (maybe those thin plates of chocolate you sometimes get with coffee?). It's really just a solid cube of cake in terms of structure, so the base shouldn't be too hard to make, and then you can go nuts with the decorations.
Isolder74

Post by Isolder74 »

Bounty wrote:A castle cake. You can slope the walls to make it more stable and make the parapet out of a solid sweet (maybe those thin plates of chocolate you sometimes get with coffee?). It's really just a solid cube of cake in terms of structure, so the base shouldn't be too hard to make, and then you can go nuts with the decorations.
I like that idea. I can make bricks out of graham crackers.
Isolder74

Post by Isolder74 »

Any other ideas?
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Isolder74 wrote:
Bounty wrote:A castle cake. You can slope the walls to make it more stable and make the parapet out of a solid sweet (maybe those thin plates of chocolate you sometimes get with coffee?). It's really just a solid cube of cake in terms of structure, so the base shouldn't be too hard to make, and then you can go nuts with the decorations.
I have seen a castle wedding cake.

The bricks were spice-cake mini-loaves, stacked upon each other with marzipan paste mortar. The roof was marchpane, a baked marzipan cookie. The windows of the castle were colored clear candies melted on parchment sheets, and they glowed from a low-watt lightbulb set inside the castle.

The cake was roughly 2ft square, open inside obviously, so it had taken quite a few 'bricks' and a while to make, I understand. Unfortunately, the spice cake recipe they used, while good and steady for walls, was so dense it tasted like shit. No one ate more than a bite or two as I recall, so nearly the whole cake went to waste.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Isolder74

Post by Isolder74 »

LadyTevar wrote:
Isolder74 wrote:
I have seen a castle wedding cake.

The bricks were spice-cake mini-loaves, stacked upon each other with marzipan paste mortar. The roof was marchpane, a baked marzipan cookie. The windows of the castle were colored clear candies melted on parchment sheets, and they glowed from a low-watt lightbulb set inside the castle.

The cake was roughly 2ft square, open inside obviously, so it had taken quite a few 'bricks' and a while to make, I understand. Unfortunately, the spice cake recipe they used, while good and steady for walls, was so dense it tasted like shit. No one ate more than a bite or two as I recall, so nearly the whole cake went to waste.
That is why I wouldn't do it that way unless the spice cake(aka fruitcake) is worth eating as I want more to something I make then stability. For example, the Guggenheim I made collapsed slightly, the part on the roof that is the elevator equipment room fell, because of the summer heat(it didn't fit in the fridge and the AC didn't cool the room enough) I made the bottom level of the cake out of devil's food and the ring out of white cake trying to keep the weight down for that part. I'm thinking that the cake would have been more stable if the whole thing was devil's food.

For a castle, I think it would be best to make a tier style cake and frost and use coverings to make it look like it has bricks rather then make bricks out of cake. That would be much more edible and physically stable. Melting issues probably mean I'll be forgoing the making of a building just to be safe.
Frank Hipper
Overfiend of the Superego

Post by Frank Hipper »

Teotihuacan's Pyramid of The Sun.

It's an awfully simple shape.
Life is all the eternity you get, use it wisely.
Isolder74

Post by Isolder74 »

If I had more time, maybe.
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

FHTAGN!

You can never go wrong with Cthulhu.
Isolder74

Post by Isolder74 »

I've decided on a cake shaped like a car. I now need to pick the model. This is because I bought some Ding Dongs to make sure my plans for the fire truck in sept will work when i get about to making them and i HATE those things. So I'm making cars to get rid of the wheels.

Any suggestions.
The Spartan
Sith Marauder

Post by The Spartan »

Mustang
Corvette
or
a Ferrari of some kind.

Maybe a Jeep if you want a little more structure.
The Gentleman from Texas abstains. Discourteously.
PRFYNAFBTFC-Vice Admiral: MFS Masturbating Walrus :: Omine subtilite Odobenus rosmarus masturbari
Soy un perdedor.
"WHO POOPED IN A NORMAL ROOM?!"-Commander William T. Riker
Jaepheth
Jedi Master

Post by Jaepheth »

My idea is to have someone else make the cake for your birthday.

But barring that, go for broke and make a Gothic cathedral being destroyed by a Chaos demon.

and barring that, and going with the car thing, make something classic.... like a Model T, or a 1925 Rolls Royce
Children of the Ancients
I'm sorry, but the number you have dialed is imaginary. Please rotate the phone by 90 degrees and try again.
Isolder74

Post by Isolder74 »

Jaepheth wrote:My idea is to have someone else make the cake for your birthday.
But I enjoy doing it and I'm really really REALLY good at it.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Porsche 911. It has a good cakey shape.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs