The Mercedes-Benz museum in Stuttgart

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

The Mercedes-Benz museum in Stuttgart

Post by Lonestar »

Waaaayyy back in April I went to the Mercedes-Benz museum. I took a lot of photos(about 120). Here is 18 of them.

Onward to the Atrium!

Off to famous people's cars, starting with....

Kaiser Bill's!

Emperor Hirohito's!

Random G=class that drove across Eurasia!

InGen Mercedes!

Guess.

and finally...

Truck racing!

More to follow.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Simplicius
Jedi Council Member

Re: The Mercedes-Benz museum in Stuttgart

Post by Simplicius »

From the few you've posted so far, that atrium looks awesome with the cars on the walls and on pillars and the huge open space. If I were there, I probably would have gone nuts trying to make a panorama of the place to catch it all in one image.
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

Say what you want about the movie, but I always liked those Lost World cars.

The presentation in that museum is pretty sweet, but how was the info? Did they have background for each of those cars or was it just a naked exhibition?

Love the Kaiser quote, by the way. Mercedes' very nice way of saying "I told you so" :D
Frank Hipper
Overfiend of the Superego

Post by Frank Hipper »

That would be a post-abdication auto of the Kaiser's.

Prossibly a 770K?
Life is all the eternity you get, use it wisely.
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

Frank Hipper wrote:That would be a post-abdication auto of the Kaiser's.

Prossibly a 770K?
Yes, a 1932 770 "Großer Mercedes". I guess he fell for the fad after all.
tim31
Sith Devotee

Post by tim31 »

The atrium wall is pretty crazy. Do they have a recreation of Karl and Bertha Benz gazing in awe at his chugging workbench creation? If not, they should.
Bounty wrote:Say what you want about the movie, but I always liked those Lost World cars.
The Explorers from the first movie fared better against a rex attack in my opinion.
lol, opsec doesn't apply to fanfiction. -Aaron

PRFYNAFBTFC
CAPTAIN OF MFS SAMMY HAGAR
ImageImage
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Who knew T-Rex would have a harder time biting through glass sunroofs than steel-barred windows? :D

The Lost World was awesome.

That is an awesome museum, Loinstar. They should have a time-travelling DeLorean somewhere there!
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

They should have a time-travelling DeLorean somewhere there!
An 300SL, sure, if you really want a gullwing, but the DeLorean isn't a Mercedes :P
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Wait... oh right. Mercedes Benz museum. I thought I saw some non-Mercedeses in there but I was apparently mistaken.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Post by Phantasee »

Amusingly, the Chrysler museum has a similar layout. Not along the wall, but the cars on podiums gave me deja vu.

Are those bullet holes across the DS quarter panel on that G Wagon?

My favourite thing at the Chrysler museum was the Dodge Viper that won the 24 hours of LeMans. They took it straight off the track, put it in a container, and shipped it to the museum. It's got all the original bugs still splattered on the windshield, and it's really neat to see how bad the paint gets messed up after 24 hours of driving at ridiculous speeds.
XXXI
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

Are those bullet holes across the DS quarter panel on that G Wagon?
The blacks marks? They're paw-print decals, you cans see them on the front panels too.
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Post by Phantasee »

Oh. :oops: Not nearly as bad ass as I imagined a drive across Eurasia would be.

I want to learn more about this truck racing thing. I've seen a clip of a crash at one of these races, but I have no info on the series, and it looks neat.
XXXI
Dahak
Emperor's Hand

Post by Dahak »

Bounty wrote:The presentation in that museum is pretty sweet, but how was the info? Did they have background for each of those cars or was it just a naked exhibition?
Now that I've been twice to the museum (nice thing for friends on visit ;)), I can say that you get a lot of information, if you have the time...
You start your tour at the top of the museum with the invention period, and then as you wind your way down, get more recent. Between each section, they have a nice gallery of pictures that give a historical context.
As for the information, you get a handheld controller, and you just point it at the numerous information spots. On almost all cars you get clips for technical, cultural or historic information. Comes in quite a lot languages. So if you really wanted to hear everything, you'd be quite busy :)

What I don't like: it could have more real technical background on the car. And the museum's cafe is in the basement, giving you fuck-all view, while you could have a stunning view of the surrounding wineyards from the top. But it's just a small nitpick :)
Great Dolphin Conspiracy - Chatter box
"Implications: we have been intercepted deliberately by a means unknown, for a purpose unknown, and transferred to a place unknown by a form of intelligence unknown. Apart from the unknown, everything is obvious." ZORAC
GALE Force Euro Wimp
Human dignity shall be inviolable. To respect and protect it shall be the duty of all state authority.