Beware the Loomer's Artistic Inclinations

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

loomer
Sith Marauder

Beware the Loomer's Artistic Inclinations

Post by loomer »

The horror, I'm drawing again! This is still a WIP, should be done in a few days.

"Doctors keep their scalpels and other instruments handy, for emergencies. Keep your philosophy ready too—ready to understand heaven and earth. In everything you do, even the smallest thing, remember the chain that links them. Nothing earthly succeeds by ignoring heaven, nothing heavenly by ignoring the earth." M.A.A.A
Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

Weird and vivid, keep on going.
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

Is that oil or digital?
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

Pencil sketch with digital colouring and the application of a filter on the pencil layer.
"Doctors keep their scalpels and other instruments handy, for emergencies. Keep your philosophy ready too—ready to understand heaven and earth. In everything you do, even the smallest thing, remember the chain that links them. Nothing earthly succeeds by ignoring heaven, nothing heavenly by ignoring the earth." M.A.A.A
Apollonius
Youngling

Post by Apollonius »

I think that one branch that comes out almost vertically out of the big tree would look better if it were only half its length. For once, it looks like it would break off if it were made of real wood. It also looks like a parasite. And it makes the main tree look as if it were struggling for balance.

I like the colours, though. A lot. I think it would look even better if you made the wood a very dark brown. This light brown competes with the purple too much, it makes its brilliance less apparent.

Also, those white areas make the whole look a bit unfinished. Can you make all the whites a light grey?

Oh, and maybe get rid of all that green. If you're thinking of alien landscapes, don't try to make them like earth landscapes. Besides, green rolling hills look naive. :)
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

Silence! I've never even see green rolling hills, damn it. I've only ever seen hills of dead and dying Australian grass, stretching out to the horizon a seared yellow and brown. So they're alien to me.

I'll see about moving that branch, and I do plan to deal with the white (in fact, today I did the first sky layer as well as more mountain work, and touched up the shitty little farm.)
Apollonius
Youngling

Post by Apollonius »

About that farm... Don't. Seriously.
Putting a farm there would make it un-alien and very very mundane.
And if you're so much in love with your green hills, at least make them a shade of green that can't be found on earth grass. Like this here. Don't smother that beautiful purple of yours with competing flashy colours.
Apollonius
Youngling

Post by Apollonius »

Well? Show us how it turned out. :-)
loomer
Sith Marauder

Re: Beware the Loomer's Artistic Inclinations

Post by loomer »

That project is still on the go, with many variations currently in progress that I can't be assed to upload. There are some that emphasize the alien aspects, a couple a t night (one with the trees actually glowing and drowning out the stars), and a couple of mundane ones to go with the original purpose of the image.

In the meanwhile, though, I have tried my hand at drawing a human face. This is completely from scratch, with only memory for reference and a grid in Photoshop, using my new tablet. It's basic and shitty, with poor proportions, but this is my first time actually drawing a person of any kind, real or not. So far it's just a head. I'm planning on expanding it down to a full body, and thinking of a Russian/Mongol sort of theme - furs, claws, a bow over his shoulder, and maybe even a hat. The nose is an abomination unto god, but I have no damn idea of how to work with noses.

This actually started out as just me deciding 'fuck it, screw proportions and actually measuring, just fucking DRAW'.

EDIT: Damn, I didn't realize how fucked the eyes were.
Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

You're going in the right direction, but the jaw is too pointed.
'Alright guard, begin the unnecessarily slow moving dipping mechanism...' - Dr. Evil

'Secondly, I don't see why "income inequality" is a bad thing. Poverty is not an injustice. There is no such thing as causes for poverty, only causes for wealth. Poverty is not a wrong, but taking money from those who have it to equalize incomes is basically theft, which is wrong.' - Typical Randroid

'I think it's gone a little bit wrong.' - The Doctor
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

I initially had a squarer jaw, but I couldn't get it to look even halfway decent with the cheek bones. Once I get my shading down to give him quite hollow cheeks, I'll get the jaw back out to a decent width.
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

A new doodle has been done, rather than improving that last one. I got lazy as hell with the skyline, but I kind of like how bold the line is - just need to seperate it from the cave walls. Mostly an experiment in blending, done at 50% full size, so it isn't quite as nice full size. 20 layers, not counting the background layer.