14%
Other
14%

Total votes: 7

weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Re: The MMA thread (mk1)

Post by weemadando »

Zadius wrote: Well, I have them at #7 and #6 respectively, with Alves, Fitch, Shields and Koscheck ranked above them. But GSP has already beaten 3 of those guys, and Shields isn't with the UFC. Both guys were top 10 middleweights before dropping weight, so I'd say the winner of that fight should fight for the title next. Who else is there? A rematch with Fitch perhaps?
Well it makes sense, but really, when you talk about top contenders at Welterweight it's not like those names just fly into your mind immediately. That said, I'll be happy to see them get a shot.
Depends on how much you value low kicks. Belcher had him limping from those, but Akiyama clearly landed more effective punches to the head and had takedowns in every round. I'm not that surprised it was a split decision.
He got leg kicks in sure, but Akiyama outworked him in every round. I can see maybe round 1 being given to Belcher due to the "knock down", but certainly not round 2 or 3.
aerius wrote:I don't think it was on the PPV last night, but we got a Buffer 360!
And did Joe Rogan shit his pants?
Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

If true*... what the fuck, Barnett, WHAT THE FUCK.

On the other hand, Affliction: Trilogy is still scheduled to have Mousasi vs. Babalu, plus Mousasi will take on Sokoudjou at DREAM.11 in the "Super Hulk" semifinal, with Minowaman vs. Hong Man Choi for the other semifinal, along with the Featherweight Grand Prix semis and final. Also, DREAM.10: Welterweight Grand Prix (semis and final) was AWESOME.

* "If true" due to Kimo Leopoldo being alive.
"Yee's proposal is exactly the sort of thing I would expect some Washington legal eagle to do. In fact, it could even be argued it would be unrealistic to not have a scene in the next book of, say, a Congressman Yee submit the Yee Act for consideration. :D" - bcoogler on this

"My crystal ball is filled with smoke, and my hovercraft is full of eels." - Bayonet

Stark: "You can't even GET to heaven. You don't even know where it is, or even if it still exists."
SirNitram: "So storm Hell." - From the legendary thread
Zadius
Jedi Knight

Post by Zadius »

I'm very angry at Barnett. I've been waiting for this fight for so long and he just fucked it up. They're talking about having Vitor Belfort fight Fedor now, so that fucks up Vitor vs. Santiago too. God dammit. :evil:
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Looks like the roiding is confirmed, LA times and Forbes are both reporting the story.

LA Times
MMA star Barnett tests positive for anabolic steroid ahead of title fight
DAVE SKRETTA, AP Sports Writer
4:06 PM PDT, July 22, 2009
Former heavyweight champion Josh Barnett tested positive for steroids and was scrapped from the main event of the "Affliction: Trilogy" show on Wednesday, less than two weeks before he was scheduled to fight Fedor Emlianenko in Anaheim, Calif.

The California State Athletic Commission denied Barnett a license to fight on the mixed marital arts card after a drug test taken June 25 came back positive for anabolic steroids. The commission learned of the results Tuesday and immediately denied Barnett a license.

"Our primary concern is for the health and safety of fighters," David Thornton, interim executive director of the California State Athletic Commission, said in a statement. "Anabolic agents and other banned substances put the users of those agents at risk, as well as their opponents. The commission simply will not tolerate their use."

A message left with Affliction vice president Tom Atencio was not returned.

The commission said Barnett's sample was tested at the World Anti-Doping Agency facility at UCLA. Barnett has the right to appeal the denial of his license.

The 31-year-old Barnett was expected to fight Emelianenko in the main event at the Honda Center on Aug. 1, on a card promoted by Affliction Entertainment and M-1 Global in association with Golden Boy Promotions and Donald Trump.

It was unclear whether Emelianenko (30-1) would remain on the card.

Barnett (24-5) also failed a post-fight drug test in 2002, after he defeated Randy Couture to win the UFC's heavyweight title. Barnett's license to fight was suspended by the Nevada State Athletic Commission after a hearing in which he denied having used performance-enhancing drugs.

The former wrestler spent some time fighting in Japan, where he beat Emelianenko's brother Aleksander during the Pride Open Weight Grand Prix, before returning to the United States.

He fought in the inaugural Affliction show last July, knocking out Pedro Rizzo in the second round to avenge his first career loss. In January, Barnett stopped Gilbert Yvel in the third round of the second Affliction show before 13,228 fans at the Honda Center.

Other fights scheduled for "Affliction: Trilogy" included Renato Sobral against Gegard Mousasi, Vitor Belfort against Jorge Santiago and Yvel against Paul Buentello.
You dumbass motherfucker, you just had to go fuck everything up. And this is the 2nd time he's been caught roiding it up.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

What a fucking shock. Barnett is a fighter who I've never really liked, and given his history I'm not entirely surprised by this.

Want to know the funniest thing? I'd give Vitor better odds on beating Fedor than I EVER would have given Barnett.
Zadius
Jedi Knight

Post by Zadius »

I think Barnett was potentially a bigger threat than Arlovski was and the only fight I'd have rather seen at HW is Fedor vs. Lesnar. I just don't see what threat Vitor poses. He has to KO Fedor quick, like he did Lindland, otherwise I see him getting tossed to the ground and pummelled relentlessly.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

I think that Belfort has improved out of sight in recent years and though he's only a middleweight or very small light heavy, he has the capacity to trouble Fedor in stand-up and has some awesome BJJ which should be enough to keep Fedor from dominating grappling (though that might just be my affiliation shining through).

Sure, it's not exactly equal, but I have always thought of Barnett as top 20 at best, never top 10.
Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

At least Jake Shields may be able to step in if Vitor takes on Fedor, although it seems Fedor's camp wants Brett Rogers instead.

Also: I completely missed this, as it seems Mario Yamasaki did... for all the good it did Evans (read: almost got him swept, and Machida beat him to the punch). WIN
"Yee's proposal is exactly the sort of thing I would expect some Washington legal eagle to do. In fact, it could even be argued it would be unrealistic to not have a scene in the next book of, say, a Congressman Yee submit the Yee Act for consideration. :D" - bcoogler on this

"My crystal ball is filled with smoke, and my hovercraft is full of eels." - Bayonet

Stark: "You can't even GET to heaven. You don't even know where it is, or even if it still exists."
Zadius
Jedi Knight

Post by Zadius »

Affliction Trilogy is cancelled. Some reports that they are out of the fight promotion business altogether.

Link
Later on Friday, Affliction opted to get out of the promoting business and, in a joint statement with the Ultimate Fighting Championship, announced it would become a sponsor of the UFC. The fate of the fighters under contract with Affliction is not known yet.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Wup, wup, waaaaaah. T-shirt guy is back to selling T-shirts.

And how many minutes do you think were spent cheering/high-fiving in the Zuffa offices when they got that call from Affliction before saying: "sure, we'll do it."

Well - this is now one step closer to Lesnar v Fedor and that's good. Let's just hope that Fedor's management don't fuck about again.

That said, there's a bunch of high level guys who just hit the market and can give the UFC a bit more depth after trimming a lot of their dead-weight recently.
Pablo Sanchez
Commissar

Post by Pablo Sanchez »

I would feel poorly if Fedor lost to Lesnar. Since I watch fights for fun and not for handicapping the odds and wanking about technique, I have no idea what the probability of that would be, but my favorite fighters to watch are the ones who look like reasonably normal human beings. Emelianenko isn't a man-mountain, he doesn't have copious tattoos, a bad dye-job, or laughable facial hair. He doesn't even have six-pack abs, let alone the cut-like-a-diamond steroidal deformities that some other fighters sport. I don't know them, so I can't judge their character, but a lot of people in the MMA business really have the appearance of young men with serious aggression problems--guys who have so much to prove that they work their bodies into blocks of iron and then cover them with inky threat-symbols. I look at Fedor and I see a trained and professional technician, whose technical discipline happens to be wrecking shit. I like his narrative structure. He is really good at ruining human beings, and he's a master at it, but he's not doing it to get back at his abusive stepdad or the bully who humiliated him in the fifth grade, it's just his job. Meanwhile Brock Lesnar looks like a sculpture of Mount McKinley made out of beef, and he has a big-ass sword tattooed up his fucking chest. Fedor beating Lesnar would renew my hope that humanity can win the war against the meat-beasts, but a loss--it would be personally devastating to me. :lol:

I also like Vitor Belfort, but mainly because of how he shows up the MMA vs. Boxing rivalry. His stand-up game is regarded as very dangerous in MMA matches because of how he can pummel opponents with fast, accurate, powerful punches, but as a boxer his hands are good but not amazing. Imagine somebody with hands like Pacquiao and some good BJJ training. With those light gloves they use in MMA it'd be like you got punched by a laser beam. Of course, somebody with hands like Pacquiao can make a lot more money at boxing, so it's not really likely, but it'd be interesting.
"I am gravely disappointed. Again you have made me unleash my dogs of war."
--The Lord Humungus
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

I really can't see Fedor losing to Lesnar, I mean - yes Lesnar has giant hams where his hands should be and the speed that should rightfully not belong to such a large gent, but the fact is that we've seen Fedor take shit like this:

I'm fairly sure that that guy is made out of some kind of crazy Russian unobtainium.
Pablo Sanchez
Commissar

Post by Pablo Sanchez »

weemadando wrote:I really can't see Fedor losing to Lesnar, I mean - yes Lesnar has giant hams where his hands should be and the speed that should rightfully not belong to such a large gent, but the fact is that we've seen Fedor take shit like this:

I'm fairly sure that that guy is made out of some kind of crazy Russian unobtainium.
No, I agree that on the face of it Fedor will outfight Lesnar because of his insane skills. I was just saying that, in the outside chance that Lesnar gets lucky (as Randleman got lucky with that insane suplex which honestly should have ended anybody but Fedor), I would be sad to see such a skillful and level-headed fighter lose to a gigantic psycho.

EDIT:
I think my favorite thing about Fedor videos is how fucking fast he does stuff, like stand-up exchanges where he and his opponent both throw combinations that miss, but in the half second that it took to do that Fedor also hooked his leg, or when he completely changes positions during a grapple on the ground and attacks from an unexpected angle.
"I am gravely disappointed. Again you have made me unleash my dogs of war."
--The Lord Humungus
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Fedor is crazy fast. It's why I like seeing him fight the smaller guys as it makes it slightly fairer.

I also still want to see Randy v Fedor. Sure, Randy's not as amazing anymore, but if he can pull out something like that Tim Sylvia fight and take Fedor into the second or third round you can guarantee I'd be on my feet and going batshit crazy.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

weemadando wrote:I'm fairly sure that that guy is made out of some kind of crazy Russian unobtainium.
Nah, he's human, and you can knock him loopy as Fujita demonstrates.

Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

Marius Zaromskis' DREAM.10 entrance

Also, great news: Babalu vs. Mousasi is back on, this time for the Strikeforce Light Heavyweight Championship on August 15 at "Carano vs. Cyborg." WAR MOUSASI!

Zadius
Jedi Knight

Post by Zadius »

Interesting news coming from the Affliction fallout.

Mousasi vs. Babalu has been moved to the Aug. 15 Strikeforce event for the LHW title. (Source)
Jay Hieron has moved in to fight Nick Diaz at the same event for the WW title. He's replacing Joe Riggs who had to pull out. (Source)
Ben Rothwell vs. Chase Gormley is being moved to UFC 104. (Source)

There are also some reports of UFC signing Fedor, but I'm still skeptical. Fedor has a press conference Wednesday and Dana has one Friday, so I guess we'll find out then.
Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

Zadius wrote:Jay Hieron has moved in to fight Nick Diaz at the same event for the WW title. He's replacing Joe Riggs who had to pull out. (Source)
Glad to hear that he's got the fight, if he doesn't "wuss out" (I don't believe that his heart will falter, but I hope that it's a good fight) then it should raise his profile and stock, being a title fight, and in any case it's great that all those bills weren't completely for nothing. :)
Zadius wrote:Ben Rothwell vs. Chase Gormley is being moved to UFC 104. (Source)
So much for never fighting in the UFC. :lol:

weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

I can say with some confidence following Fedor's Press Conference: Fedor ain't comin' to the UFC.
Let's list the reasons why:
-Fedor will be headlining the upcoming video game for EA Sports. Dana's already said that anyone who appears in that game will NEVER be in the UFC. But then again he also said Tito would never be back, and he's fighting Franklin at UFC103 apparently. For those of us who are Mousasi fans, this will also apply to him as he's apparently signed up with EA too.
-M-1 Global has stated that they will work only under co-promotion conditions. And the UFC will never co-promote, they're the worldwide brand. People know the UFC - they don't know what MMA is, but they know the UFC. They certainly don't know who M-1 is, so why would the UFC put that on their banner?
-The UFC has made a very good offer to Fedor, but Fedor has other very good offers he can accept at this time. Read: Fedor isn't being offered $1m a fight by the UFC to fight cans.

And finally? The rumours are flying that the UFC press conference on Friday has nothing to do with Fedor and the Affliction fallout and is the announcement of a new ESPN series/deal.
Zadius
Jedi Knight

Post by Zadius »

Yeah, I'm not buying the whole EA thing. I haven't seen any confirmation that the UFC ever said such a thing other than Dana White saying, "Yeah, that sounds like something I'd say." Sounds more like he likes the rumor floating around, but doesn't want to be held to it. Randy Couture is part of the game after all.
Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

Along with other good or great fighters that down the line would presumably make good in the UFC. I've read that Babalu is signed and that he and Mousasi will both be sponsored by EA Sports at their Strikeforce fight; also, the Army Times reported that middleweight Tim Kennedy (10-2, main-evented with Mayhem on a HDNet Fights card in December 2007 if anyone remembers that) will be in the game.

Oddly enough, Gegard Mousasi wants to box too.

weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Zadius wrote:Yeah, I'm not buying the whole EA thing. I haven't seen any confirmation that the UFC ever said such a thing other than Dana White saying, "Yeah, that sounds like something I'd say." Sounds more like he likes the rumor floating around, but doesn't want to be held to it. Randy Couture is part of the game after all.
Randy's in it because that was part of the court settlement he reached with the UFC - he retains his own likeness rights.

And as for Dana saying shit. He most certainly did make himself very clear. But then again, he was very clear about Tito not coming back either.
MMA Junkie wrote: ..."EA Sports told us, 'You're not a real sport,'" White said. "'We wouldn't touch this thing. We want nothing to do with this.'"

With EA Sports passing on the rights to the UFC's video game license, rival software company THQ elected to partner with mixed martial arts' biggest promotion. The company's first effort, "UFC Undisputed 2009," has shipped approximately 2 million units since its May release according to White, and the fiery exec is upset that EA Sports is now changing their tune with the recent announcement of a forthcoming "EA Sports MMA" title.

"We put our asses on the line, THQ and the UFC, to make a video-game deal in the worst economy in the world," White said. "We go out there and do this thing, and it's successful, and now [expletive] EA Sports wants to do a video game. Really? That's not what you told us a year-and-a-half ago.

"You told us you'd never be in business with us. They wouldn't even take a meeting because mixed martial arts disgusted them. This wasn't a real sport. Boy, they got over that real quick, didn't they?"

White views EA Sports' tactics with obvious disapproval, and he's made it clear that any fighter who signs over their likeness to the new project will be blacklisted from the UFC.

"I'm not tap-dancing around this thing or whatever," White said. "I'm telling you straight-up, I'm at war with them right now. That's how I look at it."

While former UFC champion and currently contracted UFC fighter Randy Couture is expected to appear in the EA Sports offering – a matter White says the company worked through with "The Natural" during a recent court appearance – the UFC president said not to expect that trend to continue.

"You won't be in the UFC," White said about additional fighters who sign with EA Sports...

And M-1 are a pack of fuck-ups. They go into a negotiation with one immutable on the table - any event featuring Fedor must be a M-1/Whoever cross-promotion - knowing damn well that is the one thing that the UFC will never bend on, because they control the world market on MMA everywhere except Japan and maybe Eastern Europe. It's just hte typical shady bullshit we've come to expect from M-1.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

OK, two items from the Sherdog forums.

1) BJ Penn bitches and whines about how he never gets any good press. 100% win to the guy who made the call of: "BJ sat down to read 5 sherdog articles. But he quit after the fourth."

2) I have no idea how real this is. It's on a forum via twitter from local radio, so grain of salt is in effect, but it sounds like the kind of offer that the UFC can afford to make. And if it comes out that this is the actual offer they made, then I really do wish all kinds of horrific and painful demises upon M-1's management.
Sherdog.com Forums wrote:What M-1 meant by the UFC's"very generous offer"....

By: Carmichael Dave
CBS Radio MMA Host
Twitter.com/Carmichaeldave

So we all know the deal with M-1 and what they are saying about co-promotion. I'm not here to say who's right and wrong in this deal, but I can tell you some of the specifics that were offered to Fedor.....

- The UFC offered Fedor a 6 fight, 30 million dollar contract. That's 5 mil a fight

- The UFC offered Fedor an immediate title shot

- Lesnar/Fedor would be the biggest PPV in MMA history (we assume), and the UFC offered M-1 Global a cut of the PPV on top of Fedor's purse.

- Fedor was free to wear as many M-1 logoed items as he wished.

- The UFC also relented on allowing Fedor to compete in combat sambo.

Apparently, for good or bad, M-1 refuses to sign a deal unless the UFC agrees to co-promote.

I can tell you right now, the boys at ZUFFA will never, EVER agree to that. So if M-1 doesnt relent on that item alone, the Fedor to UFC talks are dead. Look for Team Emelianenko to turn to Strikeforce next. With co-promotions already in the books with Affliction, that shouldnt be a stopping point.

I will have more comprehensive coverage on my show tonight at 9pm PST. You can stream live at Northern California's Sports Station KHTK - Homepage and call toll free at 1-800-920-1140. Twitter updates to the minute at twitter.com/carmichaeldave

Updated: 6:55 PST
Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

The worst part is re: and co-promoting as a deal-breaker is, M-1 would be making money directly off of the damn PPV (in addition to Fedor's purse). For a deal like that, I would get in the Octagon! (I'd promptly get killed, but you have to look at this sort of thing the way that Forrest Griffin looked at Anderson Silva.)

aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

And Tito's back in the UFC. I can't wait to see him get his ass whooped.
I wonder if Chuck'll make a comeback and knock his ass out again.