The Salvation War: Pantheocide. Part Forty One Up

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

bcoogler
Youngling

Re: The Salvation War: Pantheocide. Part Twenty Five Up

Post by bcoogler »

Stuart wrote:At that sort of level, if you're going in for an operation (even a minor one) that needs anasthesia, the security forces send somebody in to sit in the operating theater with you. I've often wondered if their job is to cut the patients throat if he starts to mumble or listen and then decide whether to shoot the operating staff
A side effect of some anesthesia is to block your short-term memory. When you first come out of anesthesia, you look and sound perfectly normal to anyone talking to you. The person talking to you may even wonder why you are being kept there -- you seem perfectly fine -- until the conversation starts over.

You could easily be questioned by someone, give lucid and accurate answers, and have absolutely no recollection of the conversation afterward.

EDIT. This is not to say you would auto-magically spill your guts about secrets just because you've been under anesthesia. Let's say a spy comes to you in the recovery room and starts asking questions about classified equipment. He shows you an ID, which you promptly spot as a fake and call him on it. Oops. All the spy needs to do is step out of the room, wait a few seconds, step back in, and there you sit, all smiles, waiting to be introduced to the nice man, and he is free to try another tact.
Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Re: The Salvation War: Pantheocide. Part Twenty Six Up

Post by Edward Yee »

"Everybody bombed up?"
Is this a typo that should be "everyone topped up" or "topped off"?

Whadya know, Yahweh is capable of throwing a pebble into the gears of Michael's plotting. Lessee if he can make it a wrench :twisted:
"Yee's proposal is exactly the sort of thing I would expect some Washington legal eagle to do. In fact, it could even be argued it would be unrealistic to not have a scene in the next book of, say, a Congressman Yee submit the Yee Act for consideration. :D" - bcoogler on this

"My crystal ball is filled with smoke, and my hovercraft is full of eels." - Bayonet

Stark: "You can't even GET to heaven. You don't even know where it is, or even if it still exists."
SirNitram: "So storm Hell." - From the legendary thread
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Edward Yee wrote:
"Everybody bombed up?"
Is this a typo that should be "everyone topped up" or "topped off"?
If a plane has completed loading it's payload of munitions, it is said to be 'bombed up'. It's not a typo.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Jamesfirecat
Padawan Learner

Post by Jamesfirecat »

The big question so far that nobody seems to have asked is that will Micheal be even able to portal down to anywhere near Uriel is? If we've still got the high energy pumping out to keep U from portaling back to heaven, might the energy also be able to disrupt portals from heaven, thus making it much more difficult for Micheal to step out of a portal grab his wounded "buddy" and evac out of there?

Also another big question though I understand it's "rule of funny" as the mason has so far been described only as human, would he really be able to give the boot to a couple of Seraphim who are after all suppose to be some of the strongest angels out there?

Also on the issue of if Yah-yah ever leaves his seat well far be it for me to reuse a joke from Munchkin Adventure, but I suppose that could be the reason they call it the throne room.... (plays rimshot) and I'll see myself out....
muon
Redshirt

Post by muon »

Stuart wrote:Let me give you an example of how to generate a pencil beam that has very limited spread and is only a few millimeters across using WW2 technology.
Stuart, many thanks for posting this. I hadn't wanted to argue over classified systems when I'm not privy to such data and you couldn't discuss them regardless; this example however greatly clarifies the fact that, as I'd suspected, we were indeed talking past each other. We are in complete agreement that it's quite possible (and indeed, has been practical for decades) to track and image objects, and to provide guidance, etc, via radar systems with a very high spatial precision.

The sole point of contention in this mini-debate is whether or not all the power of a microwave transmitter can be focused into a very narrow angle - to summarize:

----------

Stuart says: The SPY-1 can generate a "pencil beam", putting almost all the power of the whole array into a spot just a few centimeters across on a target many kilometers away.

muon (and BR7) says: No, that violates the laws of EM propagation.

Stuart says: Yes it can, many modern classified systems do indeed have these capabilites, and while I can't say more about those, even very old radar systems could perform such feats that show this is possible.

muon (and BR7) says: Of course all these things are possible, because they don't in fact require the transmitter power to be focused in the way you were originally claiming, i.e. no violations of the laws of physics are required to accomplish any of that.

----------

In short, as you put it, it simply isn't relevant whether or not one can so tightly focus EM power transmission, for none of these radar-system capabilities depend on such a feat. EXCEPT, of course, the original point of contention itself: while you can do everything else described with a radar, you can't cook something at such a long range with an array of that diameter at that frequency, because the power focusing limit IS relevant, and crucial, to that specific point.
Stuart wrote:We take a standard dish antenna and mount it slightly assymetically so that the center of rotation of the disk is slightly off the axis... [SNIP]

To simulate this, get a sheet of paper and roll it into a cone (the proportions of the cone don't matter but start with a long, thin one and experiment). That simulates the radar beam generated by the set. Now, get a knitting needle and tape it to the inside surface of the cone so that its aligned with the axis of the cone. Now, hold the knitting needle by the end at the small end of the paper cone and rotate said needle. You'll see the beam sweep around the axis represented by the needle. You've just generated a literally needle thin pencil beam that's independent of the size and shape of the paper cone.
This nicely validates what I was originally trying to say. To wit, you can in fact have a rather wide beam (indeed - note the bolded parts - as you yourself note, it doesn't even matter what the proportions of the cone are, i.e. how wide the actual transmitted beam happens to be!), and this technique will still work fine. (As an aside, the picture isn't that simple, as the beam will not have razor-sharp edges, but the example you give still stands as a very good illustration of the fact that you do NOT need to tightly focus the beam itself to perform highly accurate guidance or tracking.)

Even more importantly, this clearly illustrates our apparent mis-communication here. You refer to the virtual line in space designated by the outer edge of this moving beam as a "pencil beam", but there's no physical reality to this line. There isn't actually an extremely narrow and intense beam of microwaves, along which the missile rides. And that's what I was referring to as a "pencil beam", an extremely narrow subtended angle within which most of the power of the entire transmitter would be focused. Again, you don't need to focus the transmitter's power so tightly to accomplish such guidance and tracking... but you WOULD need to do this, if you were going to cook something at range.
Simon_Jester wrote:on a side note, conical sweeping gives you a needle beam, but it doesn't get you past the diffraction limit. The needle has orders of magnitude more energy flowing down it than the area swept by the main beam, but on a millisecond-by-millisecond basis it isn't getting hit with more energy than the radar could otherwise achieve at a given range. So you get your target illumination all right, but if you can't achieve cooking at long range just by pointing the beam at a wall and letting it sit there, you won't be able to achieve it this way either.

And you're certainly not putting the full power of the array into the needle beam.
Indeed.

An even simpler example may serve to better illustrate this fundamental issue. Per the link BR7 posted, please see this image (it's bigger than SDN likes to see inlined, and I didn't have time to look over that site's usage rights re editing and re-posting, so I linked):

Diffraction Spot

That's a plot of the EM wave amplitude (E-field strength, square root of power), of a beam striking an x-y plane. Note the shape of the central peak; it's not a point, nor is it a flat-topped cylinder (i.e. the intensity of the illuminated disk varies with the radius from origin). And we can take advantage of this fact to accomplish all sorts of useful things with a radar system. Visualize the radar beam sweeping across a target: the target won't simply be "in" or "out" of the beam; rather, as the illuminated spot sweeps across the target, the target (indeed, individual parts of the target) will be subjected to a gradually increasing and then gradually decreasing intensity. And this can be utilized to more accurately track or image or guide objects, within the beam (e.g. sub-beamwidth resolution). Again, no argument here that one can accomplish all these things, quite easily in principle, with a radar.

HOWEVER - and this is common to all focused EM beams: while one can vary the shape of the irradiated spot (with various transmitter configurations), and while one can also vary the size of the spot, there is a fundamental limit dictated by the laws of physics that says one can NOT make that spot smaller than a certain size, for a given frequency and transmitter aperture and target range.

Of course, there are many much more sophisticated methods of beam control and tracking than the simple mechanical one you mentioned; one can electronically chirp the beam, wobble the beam, pulse the beam, among countless other (actually fairly well-known in the communications industry) beam-shaping techniques; and yes, active phased arrays permit one to use multiple interfering beams, multiple simultaneous frequencies, etc. Yet none of this permits one to focus the power of a beam more tightly than the diffraction limit, which is what is required for an effective directed-energy weapon at microwave frequencies.

Note also, thanks to Lorentz reciprocity, if a given physical antenna could transmit a particularly narrow beam, that same antenna could also receive signals with that same angular resolution. Which would mean that radio telescopes wouldn't in fact need to be much larger than optical telescopes to achieve similar resolution. Or, indeed, that any sort of telescope (these same principles apply to all EM frequencies) wouldn't need to be particularly large to have an arbitarily high resolution! I grant there are a lot of good people continually working on classified improvements to military systems, but there are also a great many good people working on related improvements to commercial and scientific equipment (from Bell Labs and AT&T Long Lines towers back when, to modern astronomy across the entire EM spectrum), and I find it extremely difficult to believe that such an incredibly revolutionary breakthrough would not have been independently rediscovered (a literal revolution, as much of what we thought we knew about EM, up through QED, would need to be drastically revised if this type of extreme power focusing were actually possible - if only I could have told Feynman how wrong he was back at Caltech before he died, LOL!). There is in fact an interesting thread about all this in the SLAM Library - see here - where Mike and Starglider (et al) noted that the physical size of EM sensors will place an absolute limit on the maximum achievable physical resolution (pre-image-processing). With a receiving system (a sensor), there are ways around that, e.g. using an interferometer composed of multiple smaller widely-spaced linked receivers; however that doesn't work for power transmission - as I'd mentioned previously, the "thinned array curse" means that if you try to use a transmitter with such gaps, most of the power will be wasted in sidelobes. The only way to tightly focus a beam is to use a physically contiguous transmitter (dish, array, etc); and if you want a more tightly focused beam, you have to either use a larger transmitter, or a higher frequency.
Stuart wrote:If you're really fascinated by this kind of thing, the best way to get involved is to get hired by the companies that design the equipment. Essentially that's Lockheed-Martin, Raytheon, BAE Systems and Thales...
I know. For what it's worth, my job involves configuring and deploying microwave and millimeter-wave communication links, and I've dealt with OEM suppliers and engineering teams from major military component suppliers like Endwave. Again, I've never had access to classified data, but I find it hard to believe that a concept which could instantly generate so many billions of dollars in increased telecommunication system efficiency and performance (every broadcast engineer in the world would be drooling over the prospect of such boosted link budgets!), would not have been rediscovered in the commercial market.
Stuart wrote:That's why, for sheer shits and giggles, engineering beats pure science any day. Anybody can create a new scientific law but an impressive shiny toy (especially if it costs a billion dollars or so) is really something.
:) Couldn't agree more - I almost went into particle physics, but couldn't stomach the notion of spending my whole career searching for a single elusive particle that might not even exist at all! That said, I don't believe that engineering of whatever sophistication could actually break physical law... we can do amazing things in the year 2009, and it still looks as though we're going headlong toward the Singularity; but at least until we reach that point, there are still fundamental limits that constrain all engineering, and breaking through those limits would mean a profound revision to our understanding of the universe. Obviously, this story is full of such revisions, with portals and other dimensions with their own subset of physical laws, but presenting an existing military system itself as being such a paradigm shift just strains credulity too much, at least for me.
Stuart wrote:Very briefly, the reason why the capability discussed isn't militarily viable is that it doesn't work too well against aircraft. It warms them up by a few degrees but that's all...
I would agree completely. And the reason for that limitation, I would submit, is that you simply can't focus these frequencies that tightly with a reasonably-sized transmitter.
Stuart wrote:As to using the same technology as a dedicated weapon, a lot of research has been put into that area and its still going on. We haven't got a viable weapon yet and given some other factors, the prospects don't look good. To some extent, the same technology has been leveraged into non-lethal weapons; for example crowd dispersal by making people feel uncomfortably hot. That has its problems as well. In that application, its a great help that human flesh is much less temperature-tolerent than metal. But, as a directed energy weapon, lasers have more potential than microwave frequency weapons. As far as I know. It's quite possible somebody is reading this and grinning broadly because he works on something that says otherwise.
Yes, I mentioned the Active Denial System previously - it's actually a millimeter-wave system (W-band), so in theory it could be focused much more tightly than lower-frequency microwaves (of course, you wouldn't want such tight focus in a non-lethal weapon!). However, millimeter waves are much more prone to atmospheric attenuation than lower frequency bands; near the 60 Ghz oxygen resonance attenuation can reach some 15 dB/km (a severe range limitation), and all higher frequencies are susceptible to rain fade (a ground-based system that would be rendered ineffective by foul weather would presumably be militarily unacceptable).

Indeed, lasers (IR to optical band) are the main practical way to make such an EM DEW (as millimeter-wave and terahertz frequencies are so severely attenuated by humidity and/or atmospheric gases). Again, I submit that the primary reason for this isn't some intrinsic superiority of lasers over masers in damaging a target (although there are substantial differences in reflectance, possible shielding, material effects, etc), but the simple fact that microwaves just can't be focused tightly enough - with any physically-possible technique - to be effective.

There are many ways HPMW weapons could cause damage though, particularly to electronic systems as you'd mentioned in-story; and via pulse-shaping additional transients could deliberately be induced, etc (as HERF and TEMPEST topics are also deeply classified, there's no sense going into that here; same with more speculative psychotronic effects on living targets). But all of that is irrelevant to this one point: when we're talking about simply heating a target, via pure brute power, focusing and power density concerns do set these fundamental limits.

Anyway, enough rambling on my part, and with Chapter 26 now up, I'll refrain from posting more about this here, unless there's lots of ongoing interest. Also, I do note that you actually never made any of these ultra-tight focusing claims in-story, as it was only in the story discussion thread where you said this:
Stuart wrote:What is that maximum power? Classified but we can take it for granted it's far higher than 4,000kW and for an AEGIS-ABM its higher still... [SNIP]... Now, note, target designation beam. They're called pencil beams for as reason, that's roughly how big they are. At 70 - 80 miles, that beam is tiny. How small? Classified. But, using other fire control radars as an example, we're talking a beam that's probably a couple of centimeters across at most. Let's be really generous and assume its 5 cm across, that means its area is roughly 75 sq cm and its getting a power input of way over 4,000 kW. I'll leave somebody else to do the maths.
So, the story actually stands essentially as-is; and this is merely an in-thread digression. :) A microwave beam of that intensity would be as destructive as any megawatt-class laser weapon system, such as those now in development. A 40MW beam with a dwell time of just 1 second would deposit energy roughly equal to 10kg of HE directly into an absorptive target! Development of mw-reflective shields for aircraft could offer some protection, but then the aircraft would be brightly visible on radar, defeating all the RAM and RAS incorporated into modern airframes. (The very fact that you point out that such microwave transmitter arrays need powerful active cooling; then by focusing that power into a spot thousands of times smaller in area, indicates the sort of temperatures that would be achieved at such a focus, if it were possible.) But, ultimately, the notion of focusing microwaves so tightly would indeed violate the laws of physics. Lasers could do this, masers of reasonable size could not.
BR7 wrote:Except that no amount of engineering can surpass fundamental limits. If it does, it means that the understanding of the physics was wrong. In this case, I haven't seen enough evidence to convince me that electromagnetic propagation laws as currently understood are wrong. That's the difference between an engineering problem and a physics problem. It's impressive if you build the first supersonic vehicle, but if you want to build the first superluminal vehicle, you'll have to rewrite the laws of physics first.

[SNIP]

As nickolay1 said, it's a phased array. Tracking abilities are the kind of detail I would expect to be impressive, but secret, as Stuart has alluded to. Tracking that well causes no physics problems I'm aware of.
That is the best summary of all. A couple analogies to what this issue really represents:

ANALOGY 1 (energy and weapons performance) : Suppose you wrote in an upcoming chapter about a nuclear device, about to be used in the war. This device is reportedly a new innovative design (that needs to be used for some in-story reason), described as a pure-fusion weapon, with a certain expected yield and a certain mass. Now, some readers might object to that, claiming there's no possible way such a device could be constructed with anything like our current technology; and you might respond, given your classified knowledge, "erm... I can't tell you any more about that". :) Yet there's no fundamental problem here, as it's simply an ENGINEERING challenge; with a sufficiently ingenious design, it might well be possible, and certainly it doesn't violate any fundamental physical laws. However, if the figures you'd presented indicated the device converted 2% of its entire mass into energy, or 150% of its entire mass into energy, that would be an infinitely more profound issue (at a 2% conversion, it would have to be some type of total-conversion device, thus requiring at a minimum dramatic revision of the Standard Model; and at a 150% conversion, much of what we thought we knew about physics would have to be tossed out the window). It's a fundamental physics question, not a matter of clever engineering. And suggesting that microwaves could be brought to a point focus at such ranges is that sort of problem - it would trash current physics (EM no less, that we thought we had completely understood since QED was developed!).

ANALOGY 2 (communications) : Suppose you wrote in an upcoming chapter that a military unit had sent an encrypted message via the strongest available cipher, which is stated as being Rijndael. And that message had been intercepted and decrypted by the enemy (one of Heaven's beings, perhaps). Some readers might object, pointing out that AES-256 could not be brute-forced, even with quantum computers. And you might respond, "erm... I can't say any more". (Although, I guess if you had knowledge that NSA had broken AES and made such a hint, we wouldn't hear from you again for quite a long time...) Anyway though, again, there would be no fundamental problem here, as this is also an "engineering" problem, in that a new mathematical technique might well break the cipher. However, if you wrote that the message in question had been transmitted over a conventional telco copper 24ga twisted-pair landline, at an effective speed of several Gbps, then this would be an infinitely more profound problem, as it would violate the fundamental laws of physics, the Shannon limit. Again, the notion that microwaves, through sufficiently clever engineering, could be so focused, is that sort of problem.

In the end, no, I don't say "it's impossible", for someday there may well be such a revolution in physics - but nonetheless, being able to accomplish such a feat of EM focusing would, in and of itself, require this sort of profoundly deep paradigm shift in science.

--------------------
Simon_Jester wrote:On a semi-intuitive level, I think I can see how an AESA might be able to generate that kind of beam... I think. Don't take my word for it, because I'm not in a good position to put in the time to do the math right now.
I'd like to hear about it, half-baked or otherwise! :)
"Who ordered that..?!"
--I.I.Rabi, reaction to the discovery of the 'mu-meson' (err, ahem, lepton)
R011
Youngling

Post by R011 »

dragon wrote: Well the Israelis did a good job during the 6 day war, granted all the soilders from then are mostly likely dead by now as it was 1967.
Yeah, but they were fighting Arab armies. Arabs tend to make lousy soldiers. Great warriors, guerrillas, terrorists etc. yes. Individually brave, no question. Trained, disciplined team members led by competent officers? No.

I worked on an Egyptian air base once. Their guys literally could not tie their boot-laces, and they were expected to maintain jet fighters. Quite a few Western (and Soviet) observers have noted that the officers do not trust the men or each other and are much more concerned with face than performance. Maintenance and initiative are concepts their armies do not grasp. Beating them is not a good indication of tactical mastery.

Make no mistake, the Israeli air force is first class. Their army isn't bad, but it's got its problems, as was seen in Lebanon a couple of years ago.

Among other problems, they do not have a decent NCO corps. If an Israeli is serious about a military career, its fairly easy to become ana officer. Israelis tell me the people who become professional NCO's are people who are too dumb and lazy to get real jobs. This means that squads are led by senior conscripts and platoons led and administered by junior officers. The experienced NCO platoon second in commands who would mentor the young officer and the section commanders, and the company sergeant majors who run the company for the company commander are not there.
DAVE AAA
tortieconspiracy
Youngling

Post by tortieconspiracy »

Jamesfirecat wrote:Also another big question though I understand it's "rule of funny" as the mason has so far been described only as human, would he really be able to give the boot to a couple of Seraphim who are after all suppose to be some of the strongest angels out there?
Don't forget this description of these particular Seraphim from Chapter 7:
Stuart wrote:At the four corners of the room flew four Seraphs, creatures with huge heads and six wings rooted in their atrophied bodies. They appeared to be nothing other than head and wings, their distorted physique making them of little use other than chanting their ceaseless cry: “Holy, holy, holy is the Lord God Almighty, who was, and is, and is to come.”
It looks to me like he ought to be able to toss them out as long as the bunker is too small for them to effectively use their wings. They haven't got anything else they can fight back with. And I expect that those wings need a lot of space. :twisted:
erik_t
Jedi Master

Post by erik_t »

Muon, thanks for a great post. Frankly it might be worth appending to the space-sensors thread, just as a worthwhile discussion of diffraction and beamforming challenges.
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

Jamesfirecat wrote: Also another big question though I understand it's "rule of funny" as the mason has so far been described only as human, would he really be able to give the boot to a couple of Seraphim who are after all suppose to be some of the strongest angels out there?

Also on the issue of if Yah-yah ever leaves his seat well far be it for me to reuse a joke from Munchkin Adventure, but I suppose that could be the reason they call it the throne room.... (plays rimshot) and I'll see myself out....
I think that going by literal Biblical interpretation, Seraphim would have six wings and could possibly be 'living scenery'. I always thought that the Mason was supposed to be an Angel of sorts, since I doubt that a human could continuously repair that amount of damage by himself on such short notice and if he had help, I doubt a human would be issuing orders to angels or even other humans, since the celestial authorities would find it a potential area for giving the humans dangerous ideas.
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.
Jamesfirecat
Padawan Learner

Post by Jamesfirecat »

I think that going by literal Biblical interpretation, Seraphim would have six wings and could possibly be 'living scenery'. I always thought that the Mason was supposed to be an Angel of sorts, since I doubt that a human could continuously repair that amount of damage by himself on such short notice and if he had help, I doubt a human would be issuing orders to angels or even other humans, since the celestial authorities would find it a potential area for giving the humans dangerous ideas.

Well we do know for a fact that the Seraphim in Yah-yah's court do have six wings since Stuart mentioned it, he hasn't talked about if the Mason is human or angel yet, or at least he hasn't off the top of my head. I'm gonna go do a search through the entire story and Armageddon and edit this post based on what I find that would suggest the nature of the Mason's race...

Okay here we go...
Michael-Lan rose and backed out of the throne room, bumping into an Erelim stone-mason as he did so.

"You had to go and do it didn't you." The Erelim sounded bitter as he surveyed the chipped and battered walls. "I'd just got the place fixed up after your last report."
Looks like you were right the Mason evidently is some kind of angel let me go see if he's used "Erelim" anywhere else in the story and what level of powers those angels have had....

Nope, he's only used the word "Erelim" in reference to the Mason, but if any of you guys want to enlighten me as to how powerful that type of angel should be assuming it's based off of the name of some kind of angel in the Bible you can be my guest....
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Erelim are the 3rd rank of angels, below God. So Michael-Lan outranks him by two orders. Of course, this Erelim is the chief mason of the Holy Court, so he's probably rather highly esteemed. In Jewish traditions they're angels of valor or renown, and are often associated with Ariel, the angel of creation and craftswork.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
bcoogler
Youngling

Post by bcoogler »

Pelranius wrote:I doubt a human would be issuing orders to angels or even other humans, since the celestial authorities would find it a potential area for giving the humans dangerous ideas.
Agreed, a human could never get away with giving an order to an angel. OTOH, I suspect the angels would find it too much of a bother to have to individually instruct every human in Heaven. While even the most respected human in Heaven no doubt ranks lower than the lowest angel, you will still have a human social structure.

Even in an era of slavery -- be it the Roman Empire or Antebellum South -- there was always a pecking order among the slaves, with some slaves acting as foremen, and others working as trusted servants of the household; for example, looking after the master's children.

Of course, having the trust of your master should never be mistaken as being considered an equal.
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

Well, from what we've seen so far, the leaders (like the Patriarchs) seemed to have the dubious honor of serving as choruses to Ya ya and the various high ranking angels, so they probably won't have time to issue orders to the other humans. Of course, that doesn't necessarily preclude other humans becoming 'trusties'.
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.
JN1
Padawan Learner

Post by JN1 »

bcoogler wrote:
Stuart wrote:At that sort of level, if you're going in for an operation (even a minor one) that needs anasthesia, the security forces send somebody in to sit in the operating theater with you. I've often wondered if their job is to cut the patients throat if he starts to mumble or listen and then decide whether to shoot the operating staff
A side effect of some anesthesia is to block your short-term memory. When you first come out of anesthesia, you look and sound perfectly normal to anyone talking to you. The person talking to you may even wonder why you are being kept there -- you seem perfectly fine -- until the conversation starts over.

You could easily be questioned by someone, give lucid and accurate answers, and have absolutely no recollection of the conversation afterward.

EDIT. This is not to say you would auto-magically spill your guts about secrets just because you've been under anesthesia. Let's say a spy comes to you in the recovery room and starts asking questions about classified equipment. He shows you an ID, which you promptly spot as a fake and call him on it. Oops. All the spy needs to do is step out of the room, wait a few seconds, step back in, and there you sit, all smiles, waiting to be introduced to the nice man, and he is free to try another tact.
All anyone would have got from me when I was coming round from anesthesia would be several choruses of 'Daisy, Daisy' and comments on how excellent the Morphine was. :lol:

Love the scene with the Master Mason. A real touch of humor there.
'Fire up the Quattro!'
'I'm arresting you for murdering my car, you dyke-digging tosspot! - Gene Hunt.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Guardsman Bass wrote:Ah ha! I got that - I remember the thread where you brought up the Israelis' military prowess (or lack thereof).
The main thing he actually brought up was the claim that they're trigger-happy. Trigger-happiness (fully understandable in a suicide-bomber-rich environment) does not guarantee military incompetence.
bcoogler wrote:EDIT. This is not to say you would auto-magically spill your guts about secrets just because you've been under anesthesia. Let's say a spy comes to you in the recovery room and starts asking questions about classified equipment. He shows you an ID, which you promptly spot as a fake and call him on it. Oops. All the spy needs to do is step out of the room, wait a few seconds, step back in, and there you sit, all smiles, waiting to be introduced to the nice man, and he is free to try another tact.
On the other hand, you might wind up mumbling under anesthesia something like "grrble grrble... implosion lens... grrble... thirty-two degrees off-axis [continue for some time]" Something like that could be quite a problem.
Jamesfirecat wrote:Also another big question though I understand it's "rule of funny" as the mason has so far been described only as human, would he really be able to give the boot to a couple of Seraphim who are after all suppose to be some of the strongest angels out there?
In this setting, they aren't. They're politically important, but physically not all that impressive.
CaptainChewbacca wrote:Erelim are the 3rd rank of angels, below God. So Michael-Lan outranks him by two orders. Of course, this Erelim is the chief mason of the Holy Court, so he's probably rather highly esteemed. In Jewish traditions they're angels of valor or renown, and are often associated with Ariel, the angel of creation and craftswork.
Apparently, recent events have overwhelmed the mason's valor, forcing him to fall back on his craftwork :)

========
muon wrote:Even more importantly, this clearly illustrates our apparent mis-communication here. You refer to the virtual line in space designated by the outer edge of this moving beam as a "pencil beam", but there's no physical reality to this line. There isn't actually an extremely narrow and intense beam of microwaves, along which the missile rides.
No, although the central 'beam' is carrying far more energy than any other equal-sized region around the antenna when averaged over time. So you could definitely use this for targeting, because the aggregate radar return off the target (which you keep centered in your conical sweep) is much larger than it would be from anything that's off the center of the cone.
HOWEVER - and this is common to all focused EM beams: while one can vary the shape of the irradiated spot (with various transmitter configurations), and while one can also vary the size of the spot, there is a fundamental limit dictated by the laws of physics that says one can NOT make that spot smaller than a certain size, for a given frequency and transmitter aperture and target range.
What assumptions go into the derivation of that limit?
and at a 150% conversion, much of what we thought we knew about physics would have to be tossed out the window).
I've heard it suggested that you might be able to get something like that if you could figure out a way to store individual quarks and release them; a large number of free quarks could trigger chain reactions in matter, liberating large fractions of the mass-energy of several particles per quark before the quarks finally recombined into something stable.

Just a thought, and likely not a way to get >100% of the mass-energy of your original 'explosive' material... and you'd need what amounts to a fundamental revolution in physics to do it to begin with, since trying to confine a quark-gluon plasma is well beyond any capabilities we'll have for the foreseeable future.
Simon_Jester wrote:On a semi-intuitive level, I think I can see how an AESA might be able to generate that kind of beam... I think. Don't take my word for it, because I'm not in a good position to put in the time to do the math right now.
I'd like to hear about it, half-baked or otherwise! :)
It's not anything near half baked; I haven't even sifted the flour yet. It was just a very low-intensity burble from my physics intuition, effectively impossible to tell from a brainfart. If I sat down and worried at it for a few hours I might at least be able to describe what I'm thinking about in mathematical terms, and assuming you've got your math right, I'll give you ten-to-one odds that it's nothing.

Maybe I'll think about it some day on the very unlikely off chance that I have something more than nothing here, but I don't really believe I do on reflection. It's just that the idea of trying to focus a microwave beam so tightly doesn't make my physics-sense scream, and I usually have a pretty good physics-sense.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

The main thing he actually brought up was the claim that they're trigger-happy. Trigger-happiness (fully understandable in a suicide-bomber-rich environment) does not guarantee military incompetence.
You mean the other thread? He actually brought up a number of major things, including poor leadership at the NCO level (R011 brought that up as well), and institutional arrogance. Or are you talking about the Pantheocide thread?
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
bcoogler
Youngling

Post by bcoogler »

JN1 wrote:All anyone would have got from me when I was coming round from anesthesia would be several choruses of 'Daisy, Daisy' and comments on how excellent the Morphine was. :lol:
Yep, and your experience could go something like this (not that you would remember).... :)

JN1 [Sees wife sitting next to his bed in the recovery room]: Daisy, daisy, give me your answer true....
Wife [Smiles]: Hello.
JN1 [Laughs]: See? I told you I'd sing Daisy!
Wife: Yes, you did.
JN1: Good morphine too.
Wife: Not for a colonoscopy.
JN1: Oh, that's right. How about that short-term memory thing. Have I begun to repeat myself yet?
Wife: Actually, this is round 3 of you singing Daisy.
JN1 [Astonished]: It is? Wow... [Zones out]
JN1 [Sees wife sitting next to his bed in the recovery room]: Daisy, daisy, give me your answer true....
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

Couldn't there just be some way to physically restrain the tongue of any patient to prevent leakage of classified information? One might also want to cover/conceal the lips, in case one of the surgery staff can read lips.

Speaking of stuff in story, wouldn't the Thais be better served by going to Napidaw (sp) instead of Yangon?
BR7
Redshirt

Post by BR7 »

Simon_Jester wrote:No, although the central 'beam' is carrying far more energy than any other equal-sized region around the antenna when averaged over time. So you could definitely use this for targeting, because the aggregate radar return off the target (which you keep centered in your conical sweep) is much larger than it would be from anything that's off the center of the cone.
Not necessarily, and in most cases, probably not. Though the central area would be the only area of constant illumination, and a reasonably sophisticated beam-rider should be able to tell that, a tightly-focused beam is not a circle of constant intensity, but an Airy disc. If the center of rotation is near the peak, then yes, but if the center of rotation is near the disk's edge (perhaps in order to make a small constantly-illuminated region), the area of peak intensity will be a ring somewhat farther out.
Simon_Jester wrote:
Maxwell's equations describe the wave nature of EM radiation. The Huygens–Fresnel principle describes how diffraction works in waves. From those follow the limits mentioned.
Simon_Jester wrote:I've heard it suggested that you might be able to get something like that if you could figure out a way to store individual quarks and release them; a large number of free quarks could trigger chain reactions in matter, liberating large fractions of the mass-energy of several particles per quark before the quarks finally recombined into something stable.

Just a thought, and likely not a way to get >100% of the mass-energy of your original 'explosive' material... and you'd need what amounts to a fundamental revolution in physics to do it to begin with, since trying to confine a quark-gluon plasma is well beyond any capabilities we'll have for the foreseeable future.
But in that case, it wouldn't be a pure fusion device, as muon was discussing. Also, as I understand it, you can't get "free" quarks anyway, since as you pull some apart, the bond energy becomes enough to generate more quarks before they are separate in a meaningful sense. I would still expect it to smash up nearby nuclei, though the net effect might be energy negative as things get smashed to H/He or unstable isotopes (is there a particle physicist in the house?). A quark-gluon plasma exists at about about 2 trillion K, where each particle's kinetic energy is far more than its rest energy, and everything is moving at high relativistic speeds. If an amount useful for explosives could be contained in a reasonably-sized device, I would expect civilizations with them to also be able to make crazy stuff like transportation wormholes, tension ringworlds, and black hole guns. The end result might be strictly allowed by basic physics, but getting there would take ridiculous materials technology, probably too ridiculous to actually exist in reality due to constraints derived from basic physics. A given amount of antimatter would be enormously easier and safer to store, probably easier to make, and would get a 200% yield, less neutrino waste.
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

I only can guess that AESA radars utilize a huge number of Phased Lock Loops to lock the phase for all the radar emitters and mimick a grating to produce a spot very far away.... There is plenty of precedence for that, and these days people are using similar techniques to lock 8 or more lasers to do the same thing where they produce a beam at the far field that has the combined power of all lasers. Sure, it's the issue of wavelength, but there's really nothing to stop from producing a small enough beam if one has a tight enough perfect lens... I suspect people have been using some degree of metamaterials for a while now, only that people have only started looking at it seriously.
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

BR7 wrote:
Simon_Jester wrote:No, although the central 'beam' is carrying far more energy than any other equal-sized region around the antenna when averaged over time. So you could definitely use this for targeting, because the aggregate radar return off the target (which you keep centered in your conical sweep) is much larger than it would be from anything that's off the center of the cone.
Not necessarily, and in most cases, probably not. Though the central area would be the only area of constant illumination, and a reasonably sophisticated beam-rider should be able to tell that, a tightly-focused beam is not a circle of constant intensity, but an Airy disc]. If the center of rotation is near the peak, then yes, but if the center of rotation is near the disk's edge (perhaps in order to make a small constantly-illuminated region), the area of peak intensity will be a ring somewhat farther out.
I spoke imprecisely; the return off the geometric center of the cone may not be quite so high as that off something slightly off to one side. However, if we consider the radar "beam" to be defined as the half-max (or quarter-max, or tenth-max, or whatever) width of the Airy disc, the area in the center will still be getting substantially higher input than anything that just happens to momentarily intercept the center of the Airy disc, which is halfway from the center of the cone to the edge.

I expect that if you integrate something like this (the function describing an Airy disc in the xy-plane being rotated around the center, with the center of the disc at radius R) over one rotation, you will get a stronger aggregate value off the center for intelligently chosen values of R.
________
But in that case, it wouldn't be a pure fusion device, as muon was discussing.
no, you're right, it would not.
Also, as I understand it, you can't get "free" quarks anyway, since as you pull some apart, the bond energy becomes enough to generate more quarks before they are separate in a meaningful sense.
As I noted, this really isn't a solution to the problem of "150% yield from the reaction mass of a fusion bomb." It might conceivably be a solution to the problem of "150% yield," but only if there's something very important we don't know about quarks. It's not possible without a physics solution, rather than being not possible without an engineering solution, as I mentioned.

This was just a random side comment, and I don't know QCD well enough to feel secure making confident statements about it.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
muon
Redshirt

Post by muon »

erik_t wrote:Muon, thanks for a great post. Frankly it might be worth appending to the space-sensors thread, just as a worthwhile discussion of diffraction and beamforming challenges.
Thanks. Although I feel I should probably refine my original rambling post into a more quantified rigorous defense of the general claim, before posting the argument in such a reference library. At least, I'm assuming there is a higher expected standard of proof in SLAM than in Fanfics..?

Regardless, this is without question a fascinating topic - damn you, Stuart, for writing such an amazing tale that lured me into all this, and damn you, Mike Wong, for creating such an insidious timesink here on teh interwebs! ;) Over the years, I have thus far avoided reading this site while at work, and all that will probably change now...
BR7 wrote:
Simon_Jester wrote:
Maxwell's equations describe the wave nature of EM radiation. The Huygens–Fresnel principle describes how diffraction works in waves. From those follow the limits mentioned.
It's actually much worse than that. Beyond the invalidation of long-established classical theory, if one could in fact send a low-energy (microwave) photon from such a relatively narrow aperture and have a very high amplitude of detection at such a far-field range within such a small area... well, we would have determined the product of position and momentum to a value much less than h-bar. Time to kiss the Heisenberg uncertainty principle goodbye! And the implications of that... well, among other things, it would suddenly become straightforward to use EPR nonlocality to construct an FTL communication system.

That's why, as I noted in my previous post, it's not an exaggeration to say that the ability to perform such a seemingly relatively innocuous feat as "extra-tightly" focusing a microwave beam would indeed shake the very foundations of physics.
Simon_Jester wrote:
and at a 150% conversion, much of what we thought we knew about physics would have to be tossed out the window).
I've heard it suggested that you might be able to get something like that if you could figure out a way to store individual quarks and release them; a large number of free quarks could trigger chain reactions in matter, liberating large fractions of the mass-energy of several particles per quark before the quarks finally recombined into something stable.
You're correct; my post was somewhat vague, as I didn't clearly indicate that that was referring to "150% of the device itself" being converted into energy. Yes, via a chain-reaction mechanism of some type, it might be possible to thus destabilize additional nuclei in the target; and as BR7 noted, even simple antimatter could arguably be considered "over 100% efficient" in weapons effect (as it would convert its own mass plus an equal mass of matter, minus the neutrinos from pion and muon decay), although of course a practical antimatter bomb would likely have less than 50% of its total mass in the form of antimatter.

It's a pretty good bet that producing and storing free quarks will always remain impossible, if our current understanding of color confinement is at all correct. A more plausible approach to direct-energy conversion might be some sort of mechanism that would catalyze proton decay. If Hawking radiation does in fact exist, baryon number is not always conserved (e.g. protons fall into a black hole, photons are radiated back out, albeit over an incredibly long timespan), so perhaps when we finally crack quantum gravity, we'll be able to leverage that pure science into engineering solutions for total-conversion powerplants and weaponry.

Needless to say, this is little more than handwavium if not outright technobabble at this point, and is far beyond anything Stuart was suggesting re the capabilities of current microwave technology...
Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:I only can guess that AESA radars utilize a huge number of Phased Lock Loops to lock the phase for all the radar emitters and mimick a grating to produce a spot very far away.... There is plenty of precedence for that, and these days people are using similar techniques to lock 8 or more lasers to do the same thing where they produce a beam at the far field that has the combined power of all lasers. Sure, it's the issue of wavelength, but there's really nothing to stop from producing a small enough beam if one has a tight enough perfect lens... I suspect people have been using some degree of metamaterials for a while now, only that people have only started looking at it seriously.
:) Current research on metamaterials is without question little short of incredible. (Personally I find the notion of negative refractive index matter, that would in theory have a reverse doppler shift, halfway beyond science fiction to fantasy, but it's real!) If this pans out, we'll have working optical cloaking devices (!) before too many more years, and I'm sure there's a lot more classified research out there, especially at microwave frequencies. Metamaterials do permit construction of a superlens which will allow one to beat the diffraction limit for some applications. In general however, this only works in the near-field (e.g. using a superlens, one can construct an optical microscope with resolution rivalling an electron microscope - see here (pdf); but not a telescope, or most particularly, an EM emitter that similarly beats the far-field diffraction limit).

There have long been tantalizing suggestions that this might in fact turn out to be possible, e.g. see this recent paper (the first page contains some references directly on point, re this discussion of microwave power transmission, e.g. see the 1948 Woodward & Lawson paper in ref25), but indeed, all research to date does seem to confirm that while yes, one can image with higher resolution than the diffraction limit, if one tries to transmit power with such a narrow focus, there's always some catch that renders the technique ineffective for that purpose. The engineering and practical spin-offs of the research continues to get more and more impressive, but these fundamental physical limits appear to be safe for now.
"Who ordered that..?!"
--I.I.Rabi, reaction to the discovery of the 'mu-meson' (err, ahem, lepton)
Ast
Redshirt

Post by Ast »

Stuart wrote:Don't you know me well enough by now to realize that, when I refer to German "civilization" between 1850 and 1950 I'm being extremely sarcastic? It's worth noting that the only genuine German contribution to civilization coming out of that era was the habit of eating fermenting pickled cabbage.
I beg to differ?

I either strongly disagree, or simply misunderstand your definition of "genuine German contribution to civilization".
BR7
Redshirt

Post by BR7 »

muon wrote:Time to kiss the Heisenberg uncertainty principle goodbye!
D'oh! Forgot about that. I was only going at it from the classical side.
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

muon wrote::) Current research on metamaterials is without question little short of incredible. (Personally I find the notion of negative refractive index matter, that would in theory have a reverse doppler shift, halfway beyond science fiction to fantasy, but it's real!) If this pans out, we'll have working optical cloaking devices (!) before too many more years, and I'm sure there's a lot more classified research out there, especially at microwave frequencies. Metamaterials do permit construction of a superlens which will allow one to beat the diffraction limit for some applications. In general however, this only works in the near-field (e.g. using a superlens, one can construct an optical microscope with resolution rivalling an electron microscope - see here (pdf); but not a telescope, or most particularly, an EM emitter that similarly beats the far-field diffraction limit).

There have long been tantalizing suggestions that this might in fact turn out to be possible, e.g. see this recent paper (the first page contains some references directly on point, re this discussion of microwave power transmission, e.g. see the 1948 Woodward & Lawson paper in ref25), but indeed, all research to date does seem to confirm that while yes, one can image with higher resolution than the diffraction limit, if one tries to transmit power with such a narrow focus, there's always some catch that renders the technique ineffective for that purpose. The engineering and practical spin-offs of the research continues to get more and more impressive, but these fundamental physical limits appear to be safe for now.
If you really want to read the proper papers, read those by John Pendry of Imperial College. The idea behind negative refractive index material is the idea of oscillators (i.e. LRC circuit) that interact with EM waves and produce some interesting effects. There are some experiments being conducted on that end, but in general, the real problem is that most of these materials are all narrow band and they don't work in the visible range. It is a lot easier to make metamaterials for RF than for lasers (largely because of the wavelength size.)

Regardless, discounting metamaterials aside, the main limiting factor in producing a small spot on the far field is how close your EM beams can be at the source. That is the biggest limiting factor for laser coherent combining where you put the laser beams as close as possible to produce a spot on the farfield. Northrop Grumman's 100KW laser is based on this principle and it has worked.
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia