Animated Films You Probably Never Saw (DW, Dis. seqs, obsc.)

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Themightytom
Sith Devotee

Re: Animated Films You Probably Never Saw

Post by Themightytom »

Pick wrote:Uh, yeah... I know it was based off a book; in my original post, I mentioned that I'd read it. (I actually read the entire series, unless more have come out since then.)

I have to admit, though, I detest The Last Unicorn (the book). The movie is weird, but due to nostalgia, is one of my favorites. The book, however, I simply... dislike. :Have a taco" indeed.
I meant it Starts as in, thats the one that lays the ground work. I much preferred the next two books, but stopped following the series after the Dragon at Lyonesse. It had gotten a bit formulaic

"Since when is "the west" a nation?"-Styphon
"ACORN= Cobra obviously." AMT
This topic is... oh Village Idiot. Carry on then.--Havok
The Spartan
Sith Marauder

Post by The Spartan »

The only one of those I've seen was Flight of the Dragons. We used to have a VHS tape of it that I seem to recall my parents had recorded off the TV for us to watch. I liked it quite a bit but it's been a long, long time since I've seen it so my recollection might be getting tinted by the rose colored glasses of childhood nostalgia.
The Gentleman from Texas abstains. Discourteously.
PRFYNAFBTFC-Vice Admiral: MFS Masturbating Walrus :: Omine subtilite Odobenus rosmarus masturbari
Soy un perdedor.
"WHO POOPED IN A NORMAL ROOM?!"-Commander William T. Riker
Bluewolf
Dishonest Fucktard

Post by Bluewolf »

Bluewolf, others: I clearly need to check out this Farthing Wood thing. I usually don't bother with most animated series, since I simply don't have the time and the animation is generally lesser and harder to characterize, but hey! If it's anything like David the Gnome, I'm all on board. (And there's a fox in it, so it is at least something like DtG!)
I never saw Daid the Gnome so I cannot compare it but I have seen Watership Down and its pretty much on a similer level as that is. The show is not afraid to be harsh which in a sense is quite refreshing, even if a bit depressing at times. A fair amount of AoFW episodes are scattered online and there is the intro:

Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

Ooh, looks interesting.... I wonder why I'd never heard of it before?
"The rest of the poem plays upon that pun. On the contrary, says Catullus, although my verses are soft (molliculi ac parum pudici in line 8, reversing the play on words), they can arouse even limp old men. Should Furius and Aurelius have any remaining doubts about Catullus' virility, he offers to fuck them anally and orally to prove otherwise." - Catullus 16, Wikipedia
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

God damn I love that tune. I have to agree that calling it Watership Down: The Series isn't completely inaccurate. I think it had the 'parental guidance is recommended' disclaimer before it (like degrassi lol).
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

I remember back when they were promoting the hell out of Farthing Wood. It was an EBU project to make a big-budget series none of the member countries could afford on their own, and it got dubs in pretty much every Union language. They did it again with Noah's Island, but that didn't look half as good from the trailers.

Farthing wood, though... I don't know what gave me more nightmares, the road crossing in that series, the Egyptian episode of Ovide, or David The Gnome. What were animators back then thinking?
Dooey Jo
Sith Devotee

Post by Dooey Jo »

They show that on the mornings every summer, or at least they did back when I was a kid. Being an animal is dangerous as hell :shock:
"Nippon ichi, bitches! Boing-boing."
Mai smote the demonic fires of heck...

Faker Ninjas invented ninjitsu
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Bounty wrote:the road crossing
Oh Jesus Christ.
What is Project Zohar?

Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

So that Pick isn't spoiled because she better goddamn watch this show, I will make use of the spoiler tags.
Spoiler
Man, how sad was Badger's decline as the series went on. The guy went completely senile and it was just so painfult o watch at times. 'Mole!? Mole!?' :cry:
What is Project Zohar?

Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

can we get this moved to off topic? Id hate to have these lists of great ld movies lost to testing
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Bluewolf
Dishonest Fucktard

Post by Bluewolf »

Pick wrote:Ooh, looks interesting.... I wonder why I'd never heard of it before?
Well I am not sure but the only people who I know who know of this show are usually British people so I am willing to guess its was pretty much a Britain only series.
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

Bluewolf wrote:
Pick wrote:Ooh, looks interesting.... I wonder why I'd never heard of it before?
Well I am not sure but the only people who I know who know of this show are usually British people so I am willing to guess its was pretty much a Britain only series.
No, it was an EBU co-production between 20 EU countries. I thought they would've tried to sell it outside Europe too but evidently that didn't work out all that well.
Darkdrium
Padawan Learner

Post by Darkdrium »

Man I remember watching that show when I was a kid, the french version that is. I think it was one of the first cartoons I watched that regularly killed recurring characters.

Damn, now I remembered about one of Fox's cubs who fled to the city and eventually died there of hunger or disease. I can't remember which though, maybe both.
El Moose Monstero
Moose Rebellion Ambassador
Location: The Cradle of the Rebellion... Oop Nowrrth, Like...

Post by El Moose Monstero »

Interestingly enough, in the books...
Spoiler
Badger doesn't die, and in fact survives through the hurricane that hits the park. To my recollection, mole dies, but his son lives on and Badger takes him on, thinking he is still mole, whilst the mole junior hasn't the heart to tell him. In the meantime, Badger becomes a sugar daddy to some young badgerette whose sett he invades after the storm passes. The sly old devil.
"...a fountain of mirth, issuing forth from the penis of a cupid..." ~ Dalton / Winner of the 'Frank Hipper Most Horrific Drag EVAR' award - 2004 / The artist formerly known as The_Lumberjack.

Evil Brit Conspiracy: Token Moose Obsessed Kebab Munching Semi Geordie
Bob the Gunslinger
Has not forgotten the face of his father

Post by Bob the Gunslinger »

What, no mention of Animalympics?
"Gunslinger indeed. Quick draw, Bob. Quick draw." --Count Chocula

"Unquestionably, Dr. Who is MUCH lighter in tone than WH40K. But then, I could argue the entirety of WWII was much lighter in tone than WH40K." --Broomstick

"This is ridiculous. I look like the Games Workshop version of a Jedi Knight." --Harry Dresden, Changes

"Like...are we canonical?" --Aaron Dembski-Bowden to Dan Abnett
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Off to Off-Topic this goes because enough people asked me to move it.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

They actually showed the Animals of Farthing Wood here in Australia on the ABC, for the kids to watch after school. It was good stuff, since the show, despite being depressing at times, is damn good and actually pretty inspiring at that age.

I don't think they ever showed more than the first season, though, or at least not when I was watching (hell, I didn't even know it had more than one!), probably due to licensing or budget problems.
"Doctors keep their scalpels and other instruments handy, for emergencies. Keep your philosophy ready too—ready to understand heaven and earth. In everything you do, even the smallest thing, remember the chain that links them. Nothing earthly succeeds by ignoring heaven, nothing heavenly by ignoring the earth." M.A.A.A
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

loomer wrote:I don't think they ever showed more than the first season, though, or at least not when I was watching (hell, I didn't even know it had more than one!), probably due to licensing or budget problems.
They aired all three seasons in Australia. I actually watched all of it on ABC myself.
What is Project Zohar?

born in shadow
Youngling

Post by born in shadow »

Pick wrote: Freddie as F.R.O.7 (in the USA, "Freddie the Frog") (UK 1992)
Holy crap! I saw this film when I was a kid! I swear I saw it at a little dollar theater near my house too! I've been wracking my brain for years as to "that movie with the frog secret-agent and some glowing red thing"

The others are...disturbing for the most part :shock:
white_rabbit
Jedi Council Member

Post by white_rabbit »

I'd forgotten how fucking brutal the Farthing Wood stuff was.

Its amazing this sort of stuff was marketed at kids back then. Or was it ? I can't honestly say I've paid enough attention to modern animation, but I can't see Farthing wood making it as a new production, even though it wasn't all cute animals getting killed. mind you, the book death of sinous was worse, she got eaten alive, mainly as a revenge attack for the slaughter of Rat females and babies by the two Adders!

Flight of Dragons is still one of my favourite movies ever. Even rigorous application of anti-nostalgia cream doesn't change that, when I watch that film, I instantly regress to a kid. Plus, Ommadon and Bryaugh were fucking awesome bad guys. I still get the shivers thinking about some of the scenes. I particularly love Bryaugh, that malevolent laugh and dialogue by James Gregory. James Earl Jones as Ommadon was fantastic as well.

" Puny scum of Carolinus, Prepare to Die! " (must be bellowed whilst diving out of the sky)
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

Its amazing this sort of stuff was marketed at kids back then.
I'm getting the impression kids were given a lot more credit in terms of understanding "grown up" themes fifteen years ago than they are given today. For instance:
Episode 22 through 25 are essentially an allegory of the rise and fall of Nazism, with Dolf himself, though wearing a Napoleonic uniform, as a clear caricature of Adolf Hitler. It begins with Dolf returning from abroad, in a train with Austrian markings, and meeting up with his friends. He then discusses the current political climate in Great Waterland, and expresses disgust of it. Dolf then decides to found a political party, the later National Crows Party, for which he goes to Alfred to lend money. he explains his ideas, but Alfred refuses and Dolf barges out of Alfred's house in a fit of rage. Alfred and Henk express their fear of Dolf, but Henk reassures Alfred that Dolf will never gather enough money to fund his intended party. Not much later however, Dolf inherits a huge fortune. He found his party, which trough promising employment and change, quickly becomes a major and powerful political movement. Dolf eventually stages a coup d'etat and takes over the country. Political opponents, including Alfred, are imprisoned on the charge of high treason. Alfred and his friends barely escape and flee abroad to the neighboring country of Great reedland. Not much later the King of Great Waterland himself flees as well, and Dolf proclaims himself Emperor Dolf I. Alfred and the other political dissidents however devised a plan to dispose of Dolf and steal Dolfs inheritances from the vaults of his palace. Without his money, Dolf's power quickly dwindles and he is imprisoned.

Dolf is eventually released from prison, and makes as an appearance illegal arms dealer and general criminal in further episodes. In the 43rd and 44th episodes, the King has decided to abdicate and for the first time democratic elections are held. Dolf once again attempts to rule Great Waterland as one of the three official candidates. He cunningly withdraws his entry as one of the other candidates is much more popular than he is. He then pays Lispel the Jellyfish to causes a huge flood in Great Waterland. Dolf then publicly gives away all his money to help the victims; sky rocketing his popularity and prompting his reentry in the presidential race. He then, in an attempt to get rid of any compromising evidence, tries to kill Lispel, who escapes and, though heavily wounded, tells Alfred the truth on the flood.

Dolf is once again imprisoned, yet after his release again continues his life of crime. In the final two episodes, Dolf becomes the henchman of an oil magnate who is attempting to get his hands on the blueprints of an environmentally friendly fuel, invented by Professor Buffon. After a fight, in which Dolf attempts to kill Alfred by pushing his car of the road, Dolf is again captured and is sentenced to be imprisoned for 26 years. This time however, he escapes, aided by a former member of his Crows Party, and takes Winnie, Alfreds girlfriend, hostage. In the series finale, and after a manic hunt, Alfred finds and defeats Dolf.
This is the synopsis of a cartoon starring a talking duck who lives in a shoe.
hongi
Jedi Council Member

Post by hongi »

I guess All Dogs Go to Heaven isn't obscure enough to warrant a mention here?
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

The Spartan wrote:The only one of those I've seen was Flight of the Dragons. We used to have a VHS tape of it that I seem to recall my parents had recorded off the TV for us to watch. I liked it quite a bit but it's been a long, long time since I've seen it so my recollection might be getting tinted by the rose colored glasses of childhood nostalgia.
I used to have The Flight of Dragons on VHS from when I recorded it off of the TV.

I believe it was mentioned that it was based on the book The Dragon and the George by Gordon R. Dickson but there was also another book actually titled The Flight of Dragons by Peter Dickinson that explained the dragons biology as it worked in the film. Essentially the dragons produce hydrogen and fly by being kind of blimp like and also breath fire by igniting the hydrogen they expel from their mouths. This was something used in the film that was different from the book The Dragon and the George. In the book tDatG the dragons just fly and don't breath fire at all. I remember checking The Flight of Dragons book out from my local library several times as a kid.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flight_of_Dragons
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

white_rabbit wrote:mind you, the book death of sinous was worse, she got eaten alive, mainly as a revenge attack for the slaughter of Rat females and babies by the two Adders!
Sinuous was Adder's boyfriend (seriously, the guy has a moustache). :P That said, I'm bizarrely impressed. I thought Sinuous getting the life choked out of him was awful enough. That said it's not always mouse babies impaled on thorns; the show wasn't an unrelenting torrent of brutality. Usually it was just pretty good fun and then sometimes it would diverge into some pretty dark territory. DON'T PANIC! DON'T PANIC! DON'T PANIC! :o
What is Project Zohar?