"The Blackest Night" Talkback Thread (Spoilers)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Re: "The Blackest Night" Talkback Thread (Spoilers)

Post by Tsyroc »

JME2 wrote:IGN has posted a preview for GLC # 39. Glad to see that the dangling threads from "Emerald Eclipse" haven't been forgotten; this is looking good... :twisted:
Spoiler
I'm trying to decide whether the Daxamite being so straight forward with Arisa in the preview looks more like Christopher Lee or Frank Langella. :) Have the Daxamites always been xenophobic leaning? I thought that was something that was started in one of the Legion reboots.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Crom
Jedi Council Member

Post by Crom »

Spoiler
I'm trying to decide whether the Daxamite being so straight forward with Arisa in the preview looks more like Christopher Lee or Frank Langella. :) Have the Daxamites always been xenophobic leaning? I thought that was something that was started in one of the Legion reboots.
Spoiler
I don't know if they've always been xenophobes, but Sodam Yat's childhood implies that they have had a xenophobic culture for most of his life.
"Our people were meant to be living gods, warrior-poets who roamed the stars bringing civilization, not cowards and bullies who prey on the weak and kill each other for sport. I never imagined they'd prove themselves so inferior. I didn't betray our people – they betrayed themselves."

-Gaheris Rhade, Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Crom wrote:Spoiler
Spoiler
I don't know if they've always been xenophobes, but Sodam Yat's childhood implies that they have had a xenophobic culture for most of his life.
Spoiler
I think the xenophobia was grafted on after the Zero Hour reboot. We'll have to see how the super-powered Daxams play into the War of Light, but I still think that's a potential thread to carry over into the Superman books given the events of "World of New Krypton" and the developments there.
Anyway, IGN has uploaded the preview for TBN: Batman# 1. This is issue is somewhat important because, remember, Johns has been stating how he spent 3 months in New York coordinate the TBN tie-in stories. Thus, it's our first glimpse to see just how well the tie-ins flow into the main series. Thus far....
Spoiler
...this looks like it fits in nicely with the events of TBN # 0 and GL# 44.

In addition, Deadman's presence and inner monologue confirms a few new things about the Black Lanterns. The spirits are untouched and not needed by the rings and the bodies are reanimated against their will.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

A reminder to everyone that TBN# 2, TBN: Batman # 1, and GLC# 39 will be shipping tomorrow.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Yesssss.........

I may need to do another Emerald Tidings chapter to commemorate. :twisted:
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Bedlam
Jedi Council Member

Post by Bedlam »

Just read blackest night 2 and it doesn't seem to have moved the story on much a lot more black lanterns turning up and the death of a third stringer and a bit about how indistructable the undead seem to be also a few of the magic types taken out of the picture (you have to do this for every big event to stop them just waving a wand and fixing everything, once again we get I cannot interfer from the phanton stranger). Still 6 parts to go I supose but it doesn't seem to great so far.
Spoiler
Its interesting from the deadman bit it seems the spirit is inside the Black Lantern but does not control it. The way they act makes it seem that the animating force has access to their memories and are using them to create as much emotion in their target as possible before killing them.

I found it more interesting that Dove could not be affected by the rings, it seems his tomb is protected in some way. Anyone got any idea why? I dont know much about the character, I think he might embody hope or maybe compassion and if so it might suggest what lanterns might have powers against the Black lanterns but thats only a guess. Small amounts of Blue energy doesn't seem to stop them as that seems to be what they draw from Aqualad before killing him. More likely it would seem that white would beat Black which would be a mixture of all the lantern colours together which matches something someone said a while back about Hal ending up with all the rings
Crom
Jedi Council Member

Post by Crom »

Hal's going to look pretty funny in the Star Sapphire uniform.

In that vein, the Indigo Tribe doesn't have rings, right? That'll probably change through the course of the event.
"Our people were meant to be living gods, warrior-poets who roamed the stars bringing civilization, not cowards and bullies who prey on the weak and kill each other for sport. I never imagined they'd prove themselves so inferior. I didn't betray our people – they betrayed themselves."

-Gaheris Rhade, Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda
Murazor
Jedi Council Member

Post by Murazor »

Bedlam wrote:Spoiler
Its interesting from the deadman bit it seems the spirit is inside the Black Lantern but does not control it. The way they act makes it seem that the animating force has access to their memories and are using them to create as much emotion in their target as possible before killing them.

I found it more interesting that Dove could not be affected by the rings, it seems his tomb is protected in some way. Anyone got any idea why? I dont know much about the character, I think he might embody hope or maybe compassion and if so it might suggest what lanterns might have powers against the Black lanterns but thats only a guess. Small amounts of Blue energy doesn't seem to stop them as that seems to be what they draw from Aqualad before killing him. More likely it would seem that white would beat Black which would be a mixture of all the lantern colours together which matches something someone said a while back about Hal ending up with all the rings
Spoiler
About Deadman the preview for Blackest Night: Batman 1 showed the spirit trying (and failing) to take control of his reanimated spirit. The Black Lanterns seem to have the memories and (negative) emotional drives of their living counterparts, but it seems that they are soul-less.

Regarding Dove, I've seen two possible explanations. 1) The guy is at peace in his death and for some reason the Black cannot touch people who are like that and 2) The guy was a victim of the Anti-Monitor and the AM didn't go into the Black Lantern willingly.

Some speculate that this might be a sign of the Anti-Monitor fighting against the current Big Bad.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Usually the first few issues are all setup, so if TBN #2 seems to have not moved the story much that's understandable. I suspect the story will only really pick up in a couple months with TBN #4.

That said, two issues in and this event has already beaten the shit out of Final Crisis and is glaring menacingly at Secret Invasion as Bendis' little work cowers in the corner wetting itself. :twisted:
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Spoiler
Of all the things in TBN #2, I think the most interesting was that there is a limit to whom a ring can claim. Witness the black ring being unable to raise Don Hall, Dove I, instead getting the error response "Don Hall of Earth is at peace" whenever it tries. The ring may only be able to raise those who were not at peace with their deaths (which, granted, means virtually everyone who dies) and can then feed off the negative emotions of dying, the regret and the anger attendant with it.

This may very well be a key point in how the Black Lanterns are dealt with ultimately.

Superboy
Padawan Learner

Post by Superboy »

There's something in the Blackest Night stories that I'm still not completely clear on. Are the rings just randomly raising the dead, or are they specifically targeting people who are important to the super-community? It was hard to get a scale of how many people are being raised on earth; I can't tell if all the cemetaries in the world are being overrun with black rings or if it's just the few people with ties to super heroes.
Jedi Master

Post by avatarxprime »

Superboy wrote:There's something in the Blackest Night stories that I'm still not completely clear on. Are the rings just randomly raising the dead, or are they specifically targeting people who are important to the super-community? It was hard to get a scale of how many people are being raised on earth; I can't tell if all the cemetaries in the world are being overrun with black rings or if it's just the few people with ties to super heroes.
They're taking dead that matter to the super community (both heroes and villians).
Spoiler
They need the targets whose hearts they take to have an intense emotional experience in order for the heart to fuel their central power battery.
Also concerning the Black Rings Spoiler
I'm guessing that Dove was protected from the rings through Compassion. We've seen how the Indigo Tribe members (or at least their leader) can absorb and utilize the powers of other Lanterns (similar to the way Black Lanterns absorb power from the Emotional Spectrum) and that they are fairly flat in their dealings with people (no real emotion from them in a way) as they seem to be at peace with everything. That would interesting with Compassion as the semi-opposite of Death. That would also make them the Big Guns, in their own way, against the Black Lanterns.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

A couple of things.

1. My thoughts on this week's issues...
Spoiler
TBN: Overall, TBN# 2 is a bit slower, but this was to be expected and frankly, I'm fine with it. Undead Aquaman was also quite the bad ass. I'm a little annoyed about the Spectre being taken out, though; he's essentially become the Watcher/Worf. How terrible is the new threat to the DCU? Have him/her/it take down the Spectre, kids!

* TBN -- Batman: Undead Arnold Wesker creating a construct of Scarface was hilarious.

* GLC# 39: It was nice to see the assault on Oa expanded upon through the perspectives of Guy, Kyle, and company.
2. IGN has posted their preview for TBN: Superman# 1 and I've gotta say...
Spoiler
...ah, poor Smallville. :twisted:
3. IGN has also posted the November solicitations involving TBN tie-ins. I'm a little annoyed now that the event is now moving out of the tie-in minis and into individual titles. That having been said...
Spoiler
...I'm looking forward to seeing Booster and Jaime Reyes tangle with the undead Ted Kord. And Black Lantern Solomon Grundy vs. the 'World's Finest' looks hysterical. Kinda annoyed about Prime coming back, though; Lo3W should have been the end of the character's arc, but I'm still gleefully anticipating him having to deal with the Black Rings... :twisted:
4. Finally, Diamond Comics and then later IGN have revealed...
Spoiler
...the identity of the mastermind behind the Black Lanterns.

It's Nekron.

Some fans are decrying this spoiler, but I'm not really upset. On the contrary, I'm glad it's Nekron. Coupled with Johns' love of revamping lesser-known and forgotten characters, Nekron was the only candidate whose M.O. made sense. I'm curious to see how Johns explores what the character's been up to since his last appearance when Kyle tangoed with him 15 years ago.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Spoiler
Okay, seriously, who is surprised that Nekron is the power behind the Black? Show of hands?
Anyway, this event is still looking supremely kickass. :twisted:

JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Steve wrote:Anyway, this event is still looking supremely kickass. :twisted:
Oh, absolutely; like you said, it's easily maintaining its momentum and overshadowing the starts of SI and FC.
Bedlam
Jedi Council Member

Post by Bedlam »

I've just read the first part of the Superman tie in and I've got a few points I've found interesting to raise: -

Normal people seem to generate as much energy for the Black lantern as supers still going up by 0.01% per person. How it seems to me that some of the higher powered undead shouldn't have much of a problem killing 10000 people quite quickly if they wanted to. Now, having to drive them to an extreem of emotion might slow it down a bit and possibly always having to rip their heart out would slow it even more but I still doubt it would take more than a few minutes. Immagine Superman or Martian manhunter appearing in a crowded area throwing a few cars about you could easily get a thousand people terrified then they could tear hearts out at superspeed and vola 10% power. In fact this seems to be whats happening in this issue although to a limited extent zombie superman kills 27 people at a drive in. Not sure if this is a plot hole or if theres more behind it that powering up as quickly as they can.

For the first time people are shown representing multiple emotions under Black Lantern visiontm. Superman shows 5 of the 6 colours at once (no compassion) and superboy shows fear and anger. Not nessecerily important but interesting, it seems the vision does not just show the most prominent emotion. I'd think that under most cercumstances people should always show multiple emotions.

Intersting that Kal-l digs up Jonathan Kents grave but theirs no sign of a ring flying around to reanimate him. Could it just be a plan to get superman as angry as possible rather than an attempt to animate him? If Jonathan un raisable in the same way as Dove was?

Food for thought
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

The level of the power-up's will likely be explored in coming months within the main mini-series. But this appears to add more subtext to the selections of J'onn, Kal-L, and the other heavy hitters other than their emotional connections to their victims. I'm just as curious as the multiple-emotions vision; not sure if Robinson's laying the groundwork for revelations within the main title or if it's a continuity goof.
Trogdor
Sith Devotee

Post by Trogdor »

I've been picking these up myself, having gotten to read (most of) the prelude to the blackest night books. I sort of get the suspicion that the plot won't be advanced very much until the black central battery reaches 100% power, which is kind of annoying, but the whole thing is still supremely kickass.

Anyone want to takes bets on when/if Abin and Amon Sur will rise? (I can easily Abin coming back as a black lantern, telling Hal he sucks at being the GL of 2814 and generally screwing with his mind. Amon maybe not so much.)

By the way, whatever did happen to Oa's armor, anyway? I missed that somehow.
"I want to mow down a bunch of motherfuckers with absurdly large weapons and relative impunity - preferably in and around a skyscraper. Then I want to fight a grim battle against the unlikely duo of the Terminator and Robocop. The last level should involve (but not be limited to) multiple robo-Hitlers and a gorillasaurus rex."--Uraniun235 on his ideal FPS game

"The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant compared to the power of the Force."--Darth Vader
Jedi Master

Post by avatarxprime »

Trogdor wrote:By the way, whatever did happen to Oa's armor, anyway? I missed that somehow.
Scar made it break apart.

Also I was thinking about Dove again as well as the Rainbow-vision that Superman gave us. Spoiler
Superman didn't show Compassion, Dove appeared to be protected by an Indigo light shield, and the Indigo Tribe has utilize other Lanterns and kill (similar but different to Black Lanterns) and its been stated that they will not be what everyone would think compassion should be. So, what if Compassion ends up as the living anti-Death to the extent that they are invisible to Death and when they "mercy kill" someone they are in fact protecting them from being used by the Black Lanterns?
Trogdor
Sith Devotee

Post by Trogdor »

Trogdor wrote:Anyone want to takes bets on when/if Abin and Amon Sur will rise? (I can easily Abin coming back as a black lantern, telling Hal he sucks at being the GL of 2814 and generally screwing with his mind. Amon maybe not so much.)
Just re-read BN #2, so never mind about that question.
avatarxprime wrote:Also I was thinking about Dove again as well as the Rainbow-vision that Superman gave us. Spoiler
Superman didn't show Compassion, Dove appeared to be protected by an Indigo light shield, and the Indigo Tribe has utilize other Lanterns and kill (similar but different to Black Lanterns) and its been stated that they will not be what everyone would think compassion should be. So, what if Compassion ends up as the living anti-Death to the extent that they are invisible to Death and when they "mercy kill" someone they are in fact protecting them from being used by the Black Lanterns?
I guess it's possible, but I don't think so. Spoiler
Dove's light shield didn't look particularly Indigo to me. Besides, black is the opposite of life, and to live is to feel. It seems to me that the opposite of the black would be the entire emotional spectrum; I don't see how one color could be the "anti-Death." Also, the power to kill people in a way that the black rings can't raise them doesn't seem all that useful when you think about it.
"I want to mow down a bunch of motherfuckers with absurdly large weapons and relative impunity - preferably in and around a skyscraper. Then I want to fight a grim battle against the unlikely duo of the Terminator and Robocop. The last level should involve (but not be limited to) multiple robo-Hitlers and a gorillasaurus rex."--Uraniun235 on his ideal FPS game

"The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant compared to the power of the Force."--Darth Vader
Jedi Master

Post by avatarxprime »

Trogdor wrote:I guess it's possible, but I don't think so. Spoiler
Dove's light shield didn't look particularly Indigo to me. Besides, black is the opposite of life, and to live is to feel. It seems to me that the opposite of the black would be the entire emotional spectrum; I don't see how one color could be the "anti-Death." Also, the power to kill people in a way that the black rings can't raise them doesn't seem all that useful when you think about it.
Spoiler
I'm not saying that its the opposite, I agree that should be the entire emotional spectrum making a White lantern, but the Black Lanterns require intense emotion for fuel and see in terms of intense emotion; they require turmoil. This is where Compassion fits in my current theory. As an emotion that, despite it being on an extreme end of the spectrum, does not actually feed into the Black Lantern energy. That is what makes them useful as people who can fight against the Black Lanterns without further fueling them.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Murazor wrote:
Bedlam wrote:Spoiler

Spoiler
About Deadman the preview for Blackest Night: Batman 1 showed the spirit trying (and failing) to take control of his reanimated spirit. The Black Lanterns seem to have the memories and (negative) emotional drives of their living counterparts, but it seems that they are soul-less.

Regarding Dove, I've seen two possible explanations. 1) The guy is at peace in his death and for some reason the Black cannot touch people who are like that and 2) The guy was a victim of the Anti-Monitor and the AM didn't go into the Black Lantern willingly.

Some speculate that this might be a sign of the Anti-Monitor fighting against the current Big Bad.
Dove has been reanimated two times to my recollection, and by powers far lesser than the Black Lanterns. I don't think it has anything to do with the Anti-Monitor, and probably is the fact that he is at peace, as was his nature, and since the rings themselves said that as they failed to reanimate the corpse. The issue that arises because of this is that clearly based on Deadman, the spirit has no say in the reanimation process, so even if Dove was at peace, it should have made no difference. The argument against that however, is that Deadman, although he didn't want his body reanimated, certainly is not a spirit at peace.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Alright,

IGN has uploaded previews for TBN: Titans # 1 and GL# 45, which will both be on sale tomorrow.

In regards to Titans...yeah, we all knew how screwed the Titans are due to the number of dead teammates over the years (it's the same reason the Rogues are screwed when TBN: The Flash hits in December). But I haven't been feeling positive regarding either the Titans or the Teen Titans for a while, so we'll see. And of course, no Ed Benes' comic is complete without at least one ass shot... :roll:

In regards to GL...oh yeah, bring on the Sinestro/Star Sapphire Corps War... :twisted: And as for John Stewart...forgive me for getting a wee bit biblical, but to hell with Ranx the Sentient City; the one, true Anti-Mogo has arrived and you will know its name is Xanshi when it lays its vengeance upon thee... :twisted:
Trogdor
Sith Devotee

Post by Trogdor »

Oh yeah, GL 45 looks like it'll be made of condensed win. Bring on Mogo vs. Xanshi!

As for the other one, I'm not a huge Titans fan, but it seems to provide a bit of insight into why the black ring can't raise Don Hall.

By the way, does anyone else suspect those skeletons at the heart of the Zamaron central power battery might be recieving black rings soon?

Superboy
Padawan Learner

Post by Superboy »

I just finished reading the Blackest Night: Titans issue and it was fantastic. I'm not at all a Titans fan, I barely know the first thing about their history and couldn't even tell you who's on the team, but this issue had a nice bit of exposition that told me all I needed to know.
Spoiler
Apparently Dove either doesn't experience emotion, or experiences some kind of emotion that the black rings don't recognize (possibly just being at peace). That probably explains why they can't raise the old Dove.
I'm off to read the new GL now.