Feddy Phasers

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

SPOOFE wrote:
Actually, many infrared systems do give away your location to other Infrared systems.
Of course, this shouldn't be a big concern to people who use guns that create a really big, bright stream of energy that points right to their location.
I agree, it's more or less irrelevent, I just wanted to correct a minor error. Call it a nit-pick.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Actually, many infrared systems do give away your location to other Infrared systems.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Of course, this shouldn't be a big concern to people who use guns that create a really big, bright stream of energy that points right to their location.

I agree, it's more or less irrelevent, I just wanted to correct a minor error. Call it a nit-pick.
Well, since we're already nitpicking, how exactly does a passive infrared
system give itself away to another? Unless they give off MORE heat than a human body, they shouldn't affect detectabilty in any way.
Unless you're assuming that, due to their stupdity, the Feds would use mainly active IR, which is of course distinctly possible :)

Batman
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

SPOOFE wrote:Looking good, Alyeska. Although I note that in the carbine picture, you still have a label for the power cell. Have you just not fixed that yet, or do you intend for the power cell to be built right into the handgrip?

Personally, I think that if you make the power cell similar to an M-4 clip, you should make it straight, and very short... probably extending out about half as far as the first version did. And, of course, there should be a tiny power indicator bar built into the side, situated so that it can only be seen from behind (so your target can't see if you're almost out of ammo), similar to the little bars they have on Duracell batteries.
Well, at the moment I am toying with the idea of the hand grip being the powercell itself. Because it is a energy weapon, the powercell can be shapped just about any way I want, so the powercell can be hidden inside the grip. Just quick detach the grip and pop a new one in.

But believe me, I do like the idea of a clip. But it just won't work. The earlier version with the clip look ok, but the problem was that the pistol grip was WAY to small, like a baby grip even. I had to fix that, and by doing that I used up some space that was originally used to place the clip I first had. Now there just isn't enough room to place a clip infront of the pistol grip. Though possibly placing the powercel in the pistol grip itself could work.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Raxmei
Rabid Monkey

Post by Raxmei »

Wouldn't the shoulder stock be a better place to keep the power cell? It's on the top of the weapon, so you can mount a shot counter there too.
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Raxmei wrote:Wouldn't the shoulder stock be a better place to keep the power cell? It's on the top of the weapon, so you can mount a shot counter there too.
Thats an interesting idea... The shoulder stock on either one is relatively large to begin with and would have enough room.

Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Ah, a new attempt. This is a SMG.

http://community.webshots.com/storage/1 ... waP_ph.jpg

I might need to make the Carbine somewhat larger because of this SMG.

SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

Alyeska wrote:Ah, a new attempt. This is a SMG.

I think the thing still needs some good old fashioned iron sights. Much better than most designs, though.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

SirNitram wrote:
Alyeska wrote:Ah, a new attempt. This is a SMG.

I think the thing still needs some good old fashioned iron sights. Much better than most designs, though.
I have been thinking about the iron sights bit. Weapons like the Styr Aug IIRC have no iron sights, but rather rely solely on their scope. I have never heard of any problem with that. So here is what I rationalized. The SMG has what looks like a very similar TA/S to the other two weapons. Except this thing does not fire at the ranges of the other weapons. So the reason it retains the size of the other ones is because this TA/S is reinforced to survive extreme abuse. The level of abuse that can destroy the SMG TA/S is the same level of abuse that can destroy the front sight on either the Carbine and the Rifle.

Of course I will still likely experiment with some iron sights just to be sure.

SirNitram

Post by SirNitram »

Sounds good. I like the larger one you posted a few posts back. Very practical design, and the energy clip is in a very good place for 'natural' reloading. It's a real pity we can't get this into Nemesis.. It'd be a damn sight better than most of the props Paramount and Beavis and Butthead have.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

SirNitram wrote:Sounds good. I like the larger one you posted a few posts back. Very practical design, and the energy clip is in a very good place for 'natural' reloading. It's a real pity we can't get this into Nemesis.. It'd be a damn sight better than most of the props Paramount and Beavis and Butthead have.
Well you have to give them credit for begining to design semi realistic weapons. Trigger guards, stocks, and even an aparent aiming device. But as you said, my design (yes, this is ego talking here) is much superior 8)

Its got backup iron sites and is designed with other options in mind as well. Funny thing is I took a picture of the EVA phaser rifle (shown in the scenes on the outside of the E-E in First Contact when Picard and Co. were fighting at the Deflector) and played around with it a bit.

You should see my earliest designs (they are somewhat *odd* looking)

http://community.webshots.com/rs1/7/89/ ... qVq_ph.jpg

http://community.webshots.com/rs1/7/90/ ... lRg_ph.jpg

Oh, and yes, that rifle would be really nice to see in Nemesis, hell any of those three designs would make good apperances.

Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

SirNitram wrote:Sounds good. I like the larger one you posted a few posts back. Very practical design, and the energy clip is in a very good place for 'natural' reloading. It's a real pity we can't get this into Nemesis.. It'd be a damn sight better than most of the props Paramount and Beavis and Butthead have.
And one other bit. The large one (M23 Phaser Rifle) has what I would say is a very lethal look to it. Practical, yet good looking. Sleek yet still deadly and useful. Ideally located items, and nice capabilities. The perfect intimidation weapon.

SirNitram

Post by SirNitram »

Alyeska wrote:
And one other bit. The large one (M23 Phaser Rifle) has what I would say is a very lethal look to it. Practical, yet good looking. Sleek yet still deadly and useful. Ideally located items, and nice capabilities. The perfect intimidation weapon.
Yea, I'll agree there. Mind you, it doesn't match this

http://www.stardestroyer.net/Empire/Tec ... /E-Web.jpg

In terms of pure intimidation.

Never before has so much been used to compensate for so little. 8)

Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

SirNitram wrote:
Alyeska wrote:
Yea, I'll agree there. Mind you, it doesn't match this

http://www.stardestroyer.net/Empire/Tec ... /E-Web.jpg

In terms of pure intimidation.

Never before has so much been used to compensate for so little. 8)
I should let you know that I have developed the stats for such a weapon, the problem will be creating the picture 8)

SirNitram

Post by SirNitram »

A Federation HMG? Could only be from the Mirror Universe.

Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

SirNitram wrote:A Federation HMG? Could only be from the Mirror Universe.
Uh, what? Use of something like that? Hell, we already know they don't use the weapons I just designed. Making something like this won't be a problem. The problem will be finding a picture, or pictures of items that I can use to turn into a phaser HMG.

SirNitram

Post by SirNitram »

Alyeska wrote:
Uh, what? Use of something like that? Hell, we already know they don't use the weapons I just designed. Making something like this won't be a problem. The problem will be finding a picture, or pictures of items that I can use to turn into a phaser HMG.
Hrm... Could you extend the barrel of your largest, and work out a tripod of some kind? Phasers exhibit almost zero recoil or barrel heat, so you shouldn't have a problem with the normal difficulties.

Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

SirNitram wrote:
Alyeska wrote:
Hrm... Could you extend the barrel of your largest, and work out a tripod of some kind? Phasers exhibit almost zero recoil or barrel heat, so you shouldn't have a problem with the normal difficulties.
Rate of fire: 66 or 100 rounds per second
With a refire rate like that, overheating might still be a problem.

Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Ok, I got a better link to look at the pictures now.

M23 Phaser Rifle
http://www.tyan.freeserve.co.uk/1.jpg

M21 Phaser Carbine
http://www.tyan.freeserve.co.uk/2.jpg

M19 Phaser SMG
http://www.tyan.freeserve.co.uk/3.jpg

Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Compliments of Arachnid over at SB.com. He decided modeling the weapons would be a worthy challenge.

http://members.shaw.ca/arachnid2/3D%201.jpg

SirNitram

Post by SirNitram »

Alyeska wrote:Ok, I got a better link to look at the pictures now.

M23 Phaser Rifle

M21 Phaser Carbine

M19 Phaser SMG
Yay! Iron sights!

Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

SirNitram wrote:

M23 Phaser Rifle

M21 Phaser Carbine

M19 Phaser SMG
Yay! Iron sights!
You have NO idea how infuriating it gets not seeing iron sights on Trek weapons. Not a single one of their Type-2 phasers ever had sights. My favorite two phaser pistols, NO SIGHTS! And look at that damned Type-2 in TNG+!!! That thing isn't even shaped for a pistol grip fit (making it less accurate) and they STILL seem to hit targets! :evil:

SirNitram

Post by SirNitram »

Alyeska wrote:
SirNitram wrote:

M23 Phaser Rifle

M21 Phaser Carbine

M19 Phaser SMG
Yay! Iron sights!
You have NO idea how infuriating it gets not seeing iron sights on Trek weapons. Not a single one of their Type-2 phasers ever had sights. My favorite two phaser pistols, NO SIGHTS! And look at that damned Type-2 in TNG+!!! That thing isn't even shaped for a pistol grip fit (making it less accurate) and they STILL seem to hit targets! :evil:
Just repeat slowly:

Everything after Gene is trash.

And TOS is good.

Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

SirNitram wrote:Just repeat slowly:

And TOS is good.
IMO most of TNG was good and I liked most of DS9 because of its darker view of the Federation. Generations was Crap, VGR was crap (except for the Prometheus) and ENT isn't looking all that good right now.

Oh, and The Final Frontier fucking sucked EXCEPT for the music (Jerry Goldsmith), most of Scotty's lines, the cool looking shuttle, and the introduction of the Assault Phaser. Basically the plot sucked ass and only one character (who had little screen time at that) did any good.

SirNitram

Post by SirNitram »

First Contact was the last peice of Good Trek, IMHO. And yes, I think Nemesis will destroy the even-odd rule.

As for TNG, yea, I liked a good bunch of it, especially the Borg episodes.