The Salvation War: Pantheocide. Part Forty One Up

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

JBG
Padawan Learner

Re: The Salvation War: Pantheocide. Part Forty Up

Post by JBG »

A particularly good chapter Stuart.

I'd join Mark in querying - why 50 kts. Apart from the artillery shells that Mark referred to, what is reasonably available that won't be so obviously heavy, or am I getting into finger breaking territory there?

Whatever, it does present huge problems for Michael. Yes he's lost a big shipment. But it shows that humans now know of his "needs". Running his op in Heaven just got so much harder given the importance of human sourced "products". And that includes innocuous items like Gatorade.

"Hell had tons of harpies, but harpies were short ranged and too slow to engage fixed wing aircraft effectively. Angels aren't any faster, but they're much longer ranged, which offsets the speed disadvantage somewhat. It also makes close air support of ground formations extremely difficult..."

It has already been postulated that angels are multi-purpose whereas there are different demons for different roles - classic trident armed demons, harpies, naga et al.

"If you pop troops out of a portal right into the middle of the Eternal City, you're stuck in house to house infantry fighting with the local angel population, who are about as tough as the demons that gave 10th Mountain a beating at Hit."

An assault unit now would be better equipped than the 10th Mountain. Eg, .50 longarms, more grenade launchers. And angels, being multi-purpose, may just be jacks of all trades, masters of none. The demons did indeed attack the Eternal City istelf.
Chris OFarrell
Durandal's Bitch

Post by Chris OFarrell »

You know...

Michael opened the portal and sent the cart back, and almost at the same time our heroic Captain Wong screams in through ANOTHER portal, blasts and Angel, and flies back out.

Michael won't have any way of knowing that was Uriel. And he probably won't know that there WAS a nuke in the cart either. He might just jump to the conclusion that there was some kind of technology inside the cart that triggered when he brought it through, somehow letting Earth 'lock on' to Heaven and generate their own portal in tandem, sending an aircraft or something through to check out the situation.

It doesn't really matter much in the long run as ultimately he DID give Earth the key to Heaven, apparently, by opening the portal with all of that monitoring equipment pointing at him. But he might now not see that portal as Uriel failing to return, and as Earth screwing around.
Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

Chris OFarrell wrote:It doesn't really matter much in the long run as ultimately he DID give Earth the key to Heaven, apparently, by opening the portal with all of that monitoring equipment pointing at him.
Thanks for saying better than I did why fictional Petraeus seems so "callous" about the loss of CPT Madeuce's team.
"Yee's proposal is exactly the sort of thing I would expect some Washington legal eagle to do. In fact, it could even be argued it would be unrealistic to not have a scene in the next book of, say, a Congressman Yee submit the Yee Act for consideration. :D" - bcoogler on this

"My crystal ball is filled with smoke, and my hovercraft is full of eels." - Bayonet

Stark: "You can't even GET to heaven. You don't even know where it is, or even if it still exists."
SirNitram: "So storm Hell." - From the legendary thread
drakensis
Padawan Learner

Post by drakensis »

Very nice chapter. The We Will Rock You moment was enough to mark this as one of the best chapters so far IMHO... and then Wong groin-shots Uriel twice with missiles. I really didn't think it could get better... until Michael demonstrates he's not just a mastermind, he's also good at thinking under pressure.

That's at least three CMoA in my book. Well done.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

JBG wrote:"Hell had tons of harpies, but harpies were short ranged and too slow to engage fixed wing aircraft effectively. Angels aren't any faster, but they're much longer ranged, which offsets the speed disadvantage somewhat. It also makes close air support of ground formations extremely difficult..."

It has already been postulated that angels are multi-purpose whereas there are different demons for different roles - classic trident armed demons, harpies, naga et al.
True, but that's not reassuring when you're flying over them. The angels' integral trumpeting ability is actually somewhere close to AAA in its effectiveness, at least over short ranges; like AAA it forces aircraft to operate faster and higher than the ground troops would like. Once they're airborne you can go after them with your own AA weapons; taking them out might actually get easier.
"If you pop troops out of a portal right into the middle of the Eternal City, you're stuck in house to house infantry fighting with the local angel population, who are about as tough as the demons that gave 10th Mountain a beating at Hit."

An assault unit now would be better equipped than the 10th Mountain. Eg, .50 longarms, more grenade launchers. And angels, being multi-purpose, may just be jacks of all trades, masters of none. The demons did indeed attack the Eternal City istelf.
Yes. And they lost, which should give everyone some pause. What I'm trying to get at here is that angels are at least roughly as dangerous in close combat as demons of equal rank... which means you do not want them getting anywhere near your soft, squishy infantrymen. Yes, the infantry can take them down, but it won't be nearly as one-sided as you'd like your battle to be, especially in close quarters where you can't use artillery support because the artillery hasn't been hauled through the portal yet.

I mean, this is just common sense: you're fighting an enemy with swords; you don't want your initial beachhead to be in a place where they can pile in on you. You want it to be out somewhere you can roll a battalion of armored cavalry through the portal to set up a perimeter with nice mile-long lines of sight all around.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Chris OFarrell
Durandal's Bitch

Post by Chris OFarrell »

Edward Yee wrote:
Chris OFarrell wrote:It doesn't really matter much in the long run as ultimately he DID give Earth the key to Heaven, apparently, by opening the portal with all of that monitoring equipment pointing at him.
Thanks for saying better than I did why fictional Petraeus seems so "callous" about the loss of CPT Madeuce's team.
I don't think he was being callous so much as being a General, and a good one. And just to offer my 10 cents on this topic...

This is a war, and in war, good men die for the sake of the mission. Petraeus risked a squad or so of men for the chance to force a perma-portal into Heaven at best, and hopefully get a lot of impossibly valuable intel about Heaven and how to get to it, at worst. He also clearly looked to risk at least one person there who was going down soon anyway and would probably prefer to just end it in the nanosecond of a fireball...

Remember, this is the guy who coldly put an infintry brigade into a house to house fight against several legions of Baldricks at Hit, well before the US upgraded their PBI kit with rifles capable of doing the damage they needed, and with no organic air support, and even no helicopter support, because he *needed* to see how well infantry could do in such a situation sooner rather then later.

Its easy in a Holywood film to have the Generals break down and rant over the death of 'a few good men' or something, but 5 Star Generals get paid to look at the 'big' picture, not the small one.
Stuart Mackey
Drunken Kiwi Editor of the ASVS Press

Post by Stuart Mackey »

Chris OFarrell wrote:
Its easy in a Holywood film to have the Generals break down and rant over the death of 'a few good men' or something, but 5 Star Generals get paid to look at the 'big' picture, not the small one.
The team in question, certainly its leader, was dead anyway, better they go out doing something useful than a heathy team.
Via money Europe could become political in five years" "... the current communities should be completed by a Finance Common Market which would lead us to European economic unity. Only then would ... the mutual commitments make it fairly easy to produce the political union which is the goal"

Jean Omer Marie Gabriel Monnet
--------------
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

drakensis wrote:Very nice chapter. The We Will Rock You moment was enough to mark this as one of the best chapters so far IMHO... and then Wong groin-shots Uriel twice with missiles. I really didn't think it could get better... until Michael demonstrates he's not just a mastermind, he's also good at thinking under pressure.
Honestly? I liked everything but that. It was all nice and dramatic and then the bit with Uriel going down with his eyes crossed from getting his nutsack blown off by AIR-120s was completely SoD breaking for me.
SDN Worlds 5: Sanctum
Baughn
Padawan Learner

Post by Baughn »

There's an important difference there. Stuart didn't say he went down with his eyes crossed, or even that he was hit in the groin (..I think; that last one may be misremembered); instead, it was mentioned that the pilot was bragging about that for years afterwards.

Pilots will do that. It seems perfectly realistic to me, and funny enough to keep in.
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

Baughn wrote:There's an important difference there. Stuart didn't say he went down with his eyes crossed, or even that he was hit in the groin (..I think; that last one may be misremembered); instead, it was mentioned that the pilot was bragging about that for years afterwards.

Pilots will do that. It seems perfectly realistic to me, and funny enough to keep in.
Well whatever. It was the line that did it. Maybe I'm just a bore but I wouldn't have written it that way.

Then again, I'm not published, either. :P
SDN Worlds 5: Sanctum
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

really? I looked on amazon and it wasn't there.
dragon
Sith Marauder

Post by dragon »

Sweet update, shame the nuke didn't go off in heaven, granted there's a lot of innocents there.
"There are very few problems that cannot be solved by the suitable application of photon torpedoes
Ted C
Sith Marauder

Post by Ted C »

Baughn wrote:Portals do pass electromagnetic radiation.

They're transparent; you can see through them, and there's no reason to think visible light is the exception here. However, since there's a potential energy barrier in the portals, any EM radiation that passes through should be redshifted slightly. This effect will probably not be noticable without special equipment.
Uhm... I dispute your conclusion. Portals do NOT pass electromagnetic radiation, because they had to run wire from the Earth side to the Hell side of the Iraq portal to establish communications. Further, the simple fact that a portal looks like a black ellipse rather than an elliptical "window" to the other side makes it obvious that visible light, at least, does not freely pass through a portal.
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."
-- The King of Swamp Castle, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

"Nothing of consequence happened today. " -- Diary of King George III, July 4, 1776

"This is not bad; this is a conspiracy to remove happiness from existence. It seeks to wrap its hedgehog hand around the still beating heart of the personification of good and squeeze until it is stilled."
-- Chuck Sonnenburg on Voyager's "Elogium"
PhilosopherOfSorts
Jedi Master
Location: Waynesburg, PA, its small, its insignifigant, its almost West Virginia.

Post by PhilosopherOfSorts »

Chris OFarrell wrote:
Edward Yee wrote:
I don't think he was being callous so much as being a General, and a good one. And just to offer my 10 cents on this topic...

This is a war, and in war, good men die for the sake of the mission. Petraeus risked a squad or so of men for the chance to force a perma-portal into Heaven at best, and hopefully get a lot of impossibly valuable intel about Heaven and how to get to it, at worst. He also clearly looked to risk at least one person there who was going down soon anyway and would probably prefer to just end it in the nanosecond of a fireball...

Remember, this is the guy who coldly put an infintry brigade into a house to house fight against several legions of Baldricks at Hit, well before the US upgraded their PBI kit with rifles capable of doing the damage they needed, and with no organic air support, and even no helicopter support, because he *needed* to see how well infantry could do in such a situation sooner rather then later.

Something that I have read, (I think on this board, actually) is that a good general must love his men, but a great general must be willing to destroy that which he loves.
A fuse is a physical embodyment of zen, in order for it to succeed, it must fail.

Power to the Peaceful

If you have friends like mine, raise your glasses. If you don't, raise your standards.
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

I think that was mentioned in the Killer Angels by Jeff Shaara, when Lee was talking to Longstreet.
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.
PhilosopherOfSorts
Jedi Master
Location: Waynesburg, PA, its small, its insignifigant, its almost West Virginia.

Post by PhilosopherOfSorts »

It may well have been, but I didn't read that book, so I'm pretty sure I saw it here.
A fuse is a physical embodyment of zen, in order for it to succeed, it must fail.

Power to the Peaceful

If you have friends like mine, raise your glasses. If you don't, raise your standards.
Baughn
Padawan Learner

Post by Baughn »

Yes, thank you, I misremembered that; fortunately, three or four of you quickly popped up to correct me. :P

Although, it seems very odd to me that wired conduction works, when EM isn't otherwise passed. There's no fundamental difference, and EM radiation is also responsible for things like keeping molecules from flying apart.. hm, though I suppose that could connect to the way electricity misbehaves in hell.
tedisbest
Redshirt

Post by tedisbest »

Ted C wrote:Uhm... I dispute your conclusion. Portals do NOT pass electromagnetic radiation, because they had to run wire from the Earth side to the Hell side of the Iraq portal to establish communications. Further, the simple fact that a portal looks like a black ellipse rather than an elliptical "window" to the other side makes it obvious that visible light, at least, does not freely pass through a portal.
Actually, the first thing to go into Hell was a Predator drone. Since the drone was able to send images out, and the controller was able to send signals in, radio waves could obviously pass through the portal.
starslayer
Jedi Knight

Post by starslayer »

Baughn wrote:Although, it seems very odd to me that wired conduction works, when EM isn't otherwise passed. There's no fundamental difference, and EM radiation is also responsible for things like keeping molecules from flying apart.. hm, though I suppose that could connect to the way electricity misbehaves in hell.
Even though EM radiation may not be passed, wired conduction through a portal would not depend upon this, seeing as it is governed by the physical movement of electrons first and foremost. Individual electrons would be moving across the portal barrier at their drift velocity, and then normal operation would resume on the other side of the portal. I don't think the delay would be very large, seeing as although the electron drift velocity is quite slow, this would only matter at the portal interface itself, which is very thin.
Baughn
Padawan Learner

Post by Baughn »

Well, you still have to explain why the wire doesn't fall apart, with the near-field electrostatic effect meant to keep its distinct molecules connected apparently (not) blocked. ;)
MondoMage
Padawan Learner

Post by MondoMage »

Jamesfirecat wrote:
Michael may rationalize the nuclear strike as Bowl 4; he did in fact deliver an awful lot of fire there.
The only problem with this idea is that the blast clearly went up and at no point did it fall down, so that's more like fire shooting out of the ground than fire falling from the sky.

That said oh yeah I think a guy like Michael could sell that to a guy like Yah-Yah as Bowl 4.
It just dawned on me that there's going to be a lot of explaining needing to be done in heaven. Not only has Uriel failed his mission again, his attempt to escape allowed a human aircraft into heaven, albeit briefly - and an angel was turned into red rain as a result. If nothing else, word of this is going to spread amongst the masses - it was most likely witnessed by a lot of people/angels.

And if Michael was smart enough to figure out that there was something nasty in the cart, then he's also going to realize that humans might have also been using it as a beacon into heaven. I imagine that he's going to have to advance whatever timetable he's operating on, and being forced to do so may very well wreck his plans.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Ted C wrote: Uhm... I dispute your conclusion. Portals do NOT pass electromagnetic radiation, because they had to run wire from the Earth side to the Hell side of the Iraq portal to establish communications. Further, the simple fact that a portal looks like a black ellipse rather than an elliptical "window" to the other side makes it obvious that visible light, at least, does not freely pass through a portal.
Visible light might not pass, but radio waves sure as shit do. This was explicitly demonstrated by the fact that the first human weapon to pass through the portal ever back in Armageddon was a radio controlled Predator drone. It flew through, employed weapons under constant human control with a steaming video feed no less, and then flew back.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

Chris OFarrell wrote:Remember, this is the guy who coldly put an infintry brigade into a house to house fight against several legions of Baldricks at Hit, well before the US upgraded their PBI kit with rifles capable of doing the damage they needed, and with no organic air support, and even no helicopter support, because he *needed* to see how well infantry could do in such a situation sooner rather then later.
This is actually the very first thing I thought about when Darth Wong (to differentiate from the fictional Squid pilot) asked about GEN Petraeus. I think many of us have forgotten that Tucker McElroy -- who we've followed from the resistance with Aeneas and Oro all the way through the attack on Palelabor and beyond -- was one of those in "Mango-Four" KIA in Hit. In fairness, in the general's view the armored vehicles that did so well out in the open would have been hampered by the urban terrain, but he approved the brigade's temporarily cutting off its own retreat, and he did think what you just described.

So long as the telemetry was received and actionable, strategically the "sting" operation was a success.
"Yee's proposal is exactly the sort of thing I would expect some Washington legal eagle to do. In fact, it could even be argued it would be unrealistic to not have a scene in the next book of, say, a Congressman Yee submit the Yee Act for consideration. :D" - bcoogler on this

"My crystal ball is filled with smoke, and my hovercraft is full of eels." - Bayonet

Stark: "You can't even GET to heaven. You don't even know where it is, or even if it still exists."
SirNitram: "So storm Hell." - From the legendary thread
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Baughn wrote:Well, you still have to explain why the wire doesn't fall apart, with the near-field electrostatic effect meant to keep its distinct molecules connected apparently (not) blocked. ;)
The portal might have frequency-dependent permittivity and/or permeability, in which case its ability to pass EM radiation would likewise be frequency-dependent. Above some cutoff frequency, the portal would be either opaque or reflective (depending on details).

Real materials have this property, which is why three meter FM radio waves can pass through the walls of your house but 600 nm visible light can't.

Electrostatic and magnetostatic forces would be unaffected; you'd only have problems when you tried to run very high frequency oscillations through the portal. If the critical frequency is in the THz range or higher, you'd wind up with a portal that doesn't interfere with electrostatic forces or radio waves but is completely opaque to visible light... unless I'm missing something.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Crayz9000
Sith Apprentice

Post by Crayz9000 »

Sea Skimmer wrote:It flew through, employed weapons under constant human control with a steaming video feed no less, and then flew back.
I don't recall any Predators broadcasting demon porn from Hell... ever.
A Tribute to Stupidity: The Robert Scott Anderson Archive (currently offline)
John Hansen - Slightly Insane Bounty Hunter - ASVS Vets' Assoc. Class of 2000
HAB Cryptanalyst | WG - Intergalactic Alliance and Spoof Author | BotM | Cybertron | SCEF