SDN Photo-a-Day (Rules updates - read the OP)

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Simplicius
Jedi Council Member

Re: SDN Photo-a-Day

Post by Simplicius »

Still making pictures, believe it or not.

Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

I spotted this at the train station. The wall above the ticket counter had posters which I don't remember changing... well, ever. It contrasts well with the "hotspot available" sign Telenet put up next to them.

Phone camera, unfortunately.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Simplicius wrote:Still making pictures, believe it or not.
It's kinda funny, when I'm looking at these pictures I'm thinking "hey, these look like they were taken in the '80s" based on the way the colours look. The pictures my parents took in the 80's and the ones we took in the early 90's have that look while pictures from the mid 90's onwards have fairly different looking colours even though we used the same film the whole time and had all our prints made on Kodak paper.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Simplicius
Jedi Council Member

Post by Simplicius »

aerius wrote:It's kinda funny, when I'm looking at these pictures I'm thinking "hey, these look like they were taken in the '80s" based on the way the colours look.
It's an '80s camera with '80s autoexposure; maybe that's got something to do with it?

A few more quick edits:

Oversaturated fall colors ahoy!

This one wants more detailed work, but I think it's got promise.

The CLC system on the Minolta gave some amazingly contrasty results. Examples to follow.
J
Kaye Elle Emenopey

Post by J »

Humber bridge, and more fun with the channel mixer tool. One day I'll go back there with a tripod so I can get it perfectly centred and aligned.

This post is a 100% natural organic product.
The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects

I'm not sure why people choose 'To Love is to Bury' as their wedding song...It's about a murder-suicide
- Margo Timmins

When it becomes serious, you have to lie
- Jean-Claude Juncker
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

3 quick pictures from my week's work as a photographer in Icon. Many, many more to come.

Elf dude!

Awesome Graphiti :D.

Some girls partying furing the Rocky horror show.
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Been busy and hence little time for photo-a-day, but have some time to post some random shots I took awhile ago. Shot on a Canonet and KR64.

Image Image
Simplicius
Jedi Council Member

Post by Simplicius »

phongn wrote:Been busy and hence little time for photo-a-day, but have some time to post some random shots I took awhile ago. Shot on a Canonet and KR64.
I was going to comment on the peculiar quality of the color, particularly in the second photo...and then I saw what film you used. There's nothing else like it.

The difference between Sunny-16:

and CLC autoexposure on the Minolta (no post for either):

It tends to underexpose, I think, compared to the center-weighted averaging of the Pentax ES and the Vivitar. It came as a bit of a surprise.
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Simplicius wrote:
phongn wrote:Been busy and hence little time for photo-a-day, but have some time to post some random shots I took awhile ago. Shot on a Canonet and KR64.
I was going to comment on the peculiar quality of the color, particularly in the second photo...and then I saw what film you used. There's nothing else like it.
Kodachrome scans weirdly, alas (that blue cast) and I don't have Silverfast AI which has a built-in Kodachrome profile (much less the IT8 calibration target). I also had a shot of that Chevy from the front side but I misfocused (had some trouble getting contrast out of the focusing patch) :banghead:
Simplicius
Jedi Council Member

Post by Simplicius »

I'm on my laptop monitor so things look different, but I didn't notice a bluish cast nearly as much as I did the slightly brownish reds. I always associate that with late '40s-early '50s color.
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Phongn, I don't have much to add other than those are some sweet shots. The first one is a very nice slice of life capture, and I love the light and it's reflections off the cars in the second shot.
It might have benefited from getting a little closer to the "subject matter" (light line in no1, cars in no2), to give it a bit more "punch", as it is it's a bit detached.

I really should try shooting on Kodachrome one of these days :D.
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Photography
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

The Grim Squeaker wrote:Phongn, I don't have much to add other than those are some sweet shots. The first one is a very nice slice of life capture, and I love the light and it's reflections off the cars in the second shot.
It might have benefited from getting a little closer to the "subject matter" (light line in no1, cars in no2), to give it a bit more "punch", as it is it's a bit detached.
Couldn't have done so in the first picture - my Canonet has a fixed 40/1.7 lens.
Well, if you don't mind shipping it all the way to Kansas for development ;)
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

phongn wrote:
The Grim Squeaker wrote:Phongn, I don't have much to add other than those are some sweet shots. The first one is a very nice slice of life capture, and I love the light and it's reflections off the cars in the second shot.
Couldn't have done so in the first picture - my Canonet has a fixed 40/1.7 lens.
Walk a bit closer, and anyway, you have no excuse for the second shot. It's still quite a keeper :).
Well, if you don't mind shipping it all the way to Kansas for development ;)
:P
Photography
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

The Grim Squeaker wrote:I really should try shooting on Kodachrome one of these days :D.
Well you better hurry up cause they're only developing Kodachrome till the end of next year. After that, it'll cost you $40 a roll and up to a year of waiting time to get it developed at specialty film labs.
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

aerius wrote:
The Grim Squeaker wrote:I really should try shooting on Kodachrome one of these days :D.
Well you better hurry up cause they're only developing Kodachrome till the end of next year. After that, it'll cost you $40 a roll and up to a year of waiting time to get it developed at specialty film labs.
I really should try overusing saturate and contrast on photoshop while messing with the levels one of these days :P
Photography
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

The Grim Squeaker wrote:
phongn wrote:
Walk a bit closer, and anyway, you have no excuse for the second shot. It's still quite a keeper :).
I really couldn't quite walk much closer for shot one. The second shot - I pretty much just turned around and everything worked out right then and there. Could've tightened it up but that might've taken too long :P
aerius wrote:
Kodak will cease producing the chemistry so even if you did have a K-Lab or something like that the best development you could get would result in B&W.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

phongn wrote:Kodak will cease producing the chemistry so even if you did have a K-Lab or something like that the best development you could get would result in B&W.
Kodak won't make the chemicals anymore but you can still buy the raw ingredients from chemical supply stores and mix them yourself. The problem is one of the ingredients is only available in large bulk quantities, but otherwise there's nothing stopping a person with a decent amount of darkroom experience in mixing his own developing solutions from making Kodachrome solutions.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

The Grim Squeaker wrote:I really should try overusing saturate and contrast on photoshop while messing with the levels one of these days :P
That's Velvia, not Kodachrome, the colour effects of Kodachrome are actually fairly subtle and you're not going to be able to duplicate them with the saturation, levels, and contrast tools. You'll need curves to do it right, and chances are you'll have to mess around in LAB colour mode.

For instance this is a picture more or less as seen with my eyes and pretty much how it came out of my camera.

This is the same picture edited in Photoshop to look like Kodachrome. That colour shift is not easy to do, it took me around 10 minutes of editing in LAB colour to get it this far.

This is simulated Velvia. Very different from Kodachrome. It's much easier to get a Velvia look than Kodachrome.

phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

aerius wrote:Kodak won't make the chemicals anymore but you can still buy the raw ingredients from chemical supply stores and mix them yourself. The problem is one of the ingredients is only available in large bulk quantities, but otherwise there's nothing stopping a person with a decent amount of darkroom experience in mixing his own developing solutions from making Kodachrome solutions.
The old Kodak guys on APUG and photo.net are indicating that it's not very easy at all. Some people are trying anyways and are rather stymied - K-14 is just so very different from anything else. The re-exposure stages in particular are apparently very sensitive to wavelength and duration (though LEDs of proper wavelength probably can overcome that). Fortunately, the process is in the (expired) K-14 patents but it's still a hell of a mess to try and replicate.
J
Kaye Elle Emenopey

Post by J »

Interesting lighting effect, I'm not sure how the lights ended up being that red.

This post is a 100% natural organic product.
The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects

I'm not sure why people choose 'To Love is to Bury' as their wedding song...It's about a murder-suicide
- Margo Timmins

When it becomes serious, you have to lie
- Jean-Claude Juncker
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

White balance. You had it on auto probably, right? (the blue neon lights came out well)
Photography
Simplicius
Jedi Council Member

Post by Simplicius »

Exif data says manual. It's probably the lights themselves; I've seen some streetlights that are particularly orange, even for sodium lights.
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Couple shots from Union Station:

Image Image
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Chicago is such a great city... (excellent composition on the first shot).
That lens isn't much for paparazzi shots of people though. (That, or you need to work on your sneaking around skills :D)
Photography