So I read the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

hongi
Jedi Council Member

So I read the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe

Post by hongi »

...because I've heard so much about it. And for the life of me, I can't understand why it's such a loved book. The characters are boring. I don't know whether that's due to Lewis' prose or because he's writing for children or because it's not very long. The only person who I thought was interesting was Edmund, and that's only because he's a miserable snot whom you could actually get angry at.

I know it's supposed to be a kid's book but even if I was a kid, I'd have thought it a totally average fantasy book and move onto something else, like His Dark Materials.
DataPacRat
Youngling

Re: So I read the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe

Post by DataPacRat »

Perhaps it seems average because it /defined/ many of the tropes now used by average youth fantasy fiction...
Thank you for your time,
--
DataPacRat
hongi
Jedi Council Member

Post by hongi »

DataPacRat wrote:Perhaps it seems average because it /defined/ many of the tropes now used by average youth fantasy fiction...
I don't think it was the tropes - otherwise I wouldn't enjoy Tolkein's works at all.

I really do have a problem with the characterisation...Lewis describes Peter (sorely neglected overall) after the battle to save Narnia with just one line: 'his face was so pale and stern and he seemed so much older'. That's it? How could any reader get into the story with such cardboard protagonists?

What's so interesting about TLWW that they decided to make a movie out of it?
Last edited by hongi on 2009-10-09 04:56pm, edited 1 time in total.
DataPacRat
Youngling

Post by DataPacRat »

hongi wrote:
DataPacRat wrote:Perhaps it seems average because it /defined/ many of the tropes now used by average youth fantasy fiction...
I don't think it was the tropes - otherwise I wouldn't enjoy Tolkein's works at all.

I really do have a problem with the characterisation...Lewis describes Peter (sorely neglected overall) after the battle to save Narnia with just one line: 'his face was so pale and stern and he seemed so much older'. That's it? How could any reader get into the story with such cardboard protagonists?
... youthful imagination and enthusiasm, combined with not knowing any better at the time/age?
Thank you for your time,
--
DataPacRat
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

hongi wrote:

What's so interesting about TLWW that they decided to make a movie out of it?
Nostalgia and Lord of the Rings made a fuckton of money. Thus taking a beloved book from a similar era and viola!

Nothing more really.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Superboy
Padawan Learner

Post by Superboy »

I know that when I was in school, the book was pushed on all of the students because of the religious aspects. It's viewed as a great christian book for kids, so a lot of parents buy it for their children.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Hell, I liked it when I first read it. Of course, I was four at the time. I still liked it when I was eight to ten or so; I can't remember reading it since.

It's actually not bad for its target audience; fairy-tale characters are rarely as deep and multidimensional as characters in other types of fiction. Adults don't read that type of fairy tale very often for a reason- it's not aimed at them.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

It's a product of its time, much like Tolkien, but I enjoyed reading through them as a primary school kid. Supposedly there is a deeper meaning to the seven Narnian books and they're based on the seven planets known to Medieval astrologists and there has been a book published on the subject, Planet Narnia: The Seven Heavens in the Imagination of C. S. Lewis (Dr. Michael Ward).
'Alright guard, begin the unnecessarily slow moving dipping mechanism...' - Dr. Evil

'Secondly, I don't see why "income inequality" is a bad thing. Poverty is not an injustice. There is no such thing as causes for poverty, only causes for wealth. Poverty is not a wrong, but taking money from those who have it to equalize incomes is basically theft, which is wrong.' - Typical Randroid

'I think it's gone a little bit wrong.' - The Doctor
hongi
Jedi Council Member

Post by hongi »

lol at the sexism:

'Why, sir?" said Lucy. "I think - I don't know - but I think I could be brave enough."
"That is not the point," he said. "But battles are ugly when women fight."

As opposed to battles being bright and cheerful when men fight? 50s mentality pff.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Big Orange wrote:It's a product of its time, much like Tolkien, but I enjoyed reading through them as a primary school kid. Supposedly there is a deeper meaning to the seven Narnian books and they're based on the seven planets known to Medieval astrologists and there has been a book published on the subject, Planet Narnia: The Seven Heavens in the Imagination of C. S. Lewis (Dr. Michael Ward).
There was a deeper meaning to the Narnia books: Aslan = Jesus. All the books of Narnia are metaphorical battles against evil, and it's why "The Last Battle" is such a mind-bending read. If you want the TRULY metaphysical doctorine, the Perelanda series is the one to read.
Personally I enjoyed Narnia better, as the metaphors were better hidden and not being smacked over your head repeatedly.
lol at the sexism
The Perelanda series had this even worse. The final novel has the female protagonist hating her life and her marriage, until she 'accepts her place' as per the Bible's idea of a good, submissive help-meet for her husband. I was in college when I read that, as it was part of a English Lit class assignment. The ladies got into a long discussion with the teacher over that particular character, which got fobbed off as 'mentality of the time of writing'.

IIRC, C. S. Lewis was a very old-fashioned Christian scholar.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Jim Raynor
Sith Devotee

Post by Jim Raynor »

It's a story for children, and also a product of its time. Of course it won't seem as amazing when you read it for the first time as an adult with high expectations due to years of hype.
"They're not triangular, but they are more or less blade-shaped"- Thrawn McEwok on the shape of Bakura destroyers

"Lovely. It's known as impugning character regarding statement of professional qualifications' in the legal world"- Karen Traviss, crying libel because I said that no soldier she interviewed would claim that he can take on billion-to-one odds

"I've already laid out rules for this thread that we're not going to make these evidential demands"- Dark Moose on supporting your claims
Samuel
Sith Marauder

Post by Samuel »

Has there ever been an attempt to rewrite the stories similar to Draka fic?
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

LadyTevar wrote:
lol at the sexism
The Perelanda series had this even worse. The final novel has the female protagonist hating her life and her marriage, until she 'accepts her place' as per the Bible's idea of a good, submissive help-meet for her husband. I was in college when I read that, as it was part of a English Lit class assignment. The ladies got into a long discussion with the teacher over that particular character, which got fobbed off as 'mentality of the time of writing'.

IIRC, C. S. Lewis was a very old-fashioned Christian scholar.
Yup. That Hideous Strength was written in 1945, and it wasn't just conservative; it was reactionary, literally so.

Lewis was deeply worried about the dehumanizing effect he perceived in early 20th-century social trends; about bureaucrats who were capable of doing anything, no matter how horrible, because they feared neither man nor God, stuff like that. It really shows.

In my opinion, he wasn't even wrong to be worried about half of it; some of the things that the technocratic movement of the early 20th century could have grown into, armed with even semimodern technology, scare the hell out of me. But because he was worried about what he thought "modernity" as we understand it was becoming, and because he was at heart a very old-fashioned man, his response was to react against everything modern, in the true sense of the word "reactionary."
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Elaro
Padawan Learner

Post by Elaro »

It's an easy read, it's got child-pleasing puppet characters, and mostly, it does have some interesting ideas (like the Many Worlds, the fair depiction of Dragon Edmund, and... well... okay, I'm done). But even when I first read it (I was 10-11, maybe?), I found things that irked me, for reasons that I can't quite remember.

Oh right: The characters were bloodily, death-defyingly, stupid. That, and the situations were really stilted, as though made to teach a lesson.

I much preferred The Hobbit.
"The surest sign that the world was not created by an omnipotent Being who loves us is that the Earth is not an infinite plane and it does not rain meat."

"Lo, how free the madman is! He can observe beyond mere reality, and cogitates untroubled by the bounds of relevance."
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

There was a deeper meaning to the Narnia books: Aslan = Jesus.
Quite literally - Aslan even says in one of the books that he "goes by another name" in their world. He's supposed to be like one of several different faces of God, or like that (except that he's not "God", per se - that's The Emperor-Over-The-Sea).

As for the book, I remember it being mostly like a lot of young adult fiction I've read in terms of prose, although obviously a bit old-fashioned due to the time period when he was writing it. He threw some random stuff in there, too, like Spoiler
having Father Christmas appear in the middle of the story to give them weapons.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Post by Eleas »

My reaction to the Narnia series when I read the Swedish translation - being seven years old and all - was lukewarm. Some of them I found okay, in the case of Voyage of the Dawn Treader I even found a lot of enjoyment. But the general feeling was that I was being condescended to by a sanctimonious, reactionary kindergarten teacher, and not a particularly bright one at that. I know he was striving for a sort of warm, cozy fables-by-the-fireplace vibe there, and it sort of works at times. Mostly, though, it just felt as if I was listening to bedtime stories by Ned Flanders.
Björn Paulsen

"Travelers with closed minds can tell us little except about themselves."
--Chinua Achebe
dworkin
Jedi Master

Post by dworkin »

I remember it for Santa Claus handing out real weapons to children.
That's got a lot of appeal when you're 10.
Don't abandon democracy folks, or an alien star-god may replace your ruler. - NecronLord
RecklessPrudence
Padawan Learner
Location: Largest Island, Sol III - invasion not recommended, terrain and wildlife extremely hostile.

Post by RecklessPrudence »

I never really thought of the Narnia series as top-tier books, but I could ignore most of the things I found objectionable in them when I had to read it for (what was for most of the class, not me) the first time in primary school. Coming back a few years later because I thought I might have misjudged it and decided to give it another chance, though, I found my gorge rising and literally had to put the book down and relax a few times before I could continue reading it, until I gave up in disgust.

Now admittedly, I was not in the best state of mind for reading something even mildly annoying at the time, what with all the shit that was going on in my life then, but still, some of the stuff felt like Lewis was clubbing me over the head with his chosen message while repeating 'This is for your Own Good, you'll Thank Me Later,' and playing gospel music.

It was very irritating, and when I tried to express this to a friend, he hadn't noticed any subtext at all, and told me that the Narnia series was one of his favourites. Of course, he also really liked the His Dark Materials trilogy, so it doesn't seem as if he liked Narnia because of its message... Then again, later, he decided that Eragon and the sequels were some of the finest literature ever created, when they seem like bad fanfiction to me, so...
Yes, I know my username is an oxyMORON, thankyou for pointing that out, you're very clever.

MEMBER: Evil Autistic Conspiracy. Working everyday to get as many kids immunized as possible to grow our numbers.

'I don't believe in gunship diplomacy, but a couple of battleships in low orbit over my enemy's capital can't but help negotiations.'
Mayabird
Storytime!

Post by Mayabird »

Elaro wrote:I much preferred The Hobbit.
Funny that you mention that since Lewis and Tolkein were good friends and both very religious, though Tolkein absolutely loathed everything fictional Lewis wrote (by the way, having read most of it in high school out of boredom, I'll sum it up for everyone: "Very thinly veiled, often to the point that it's not even veiled, Christian apologism." There. Saved you many boobless hours.) He believed in writing a good story, not allegories beating people over the head with something you want to force on them.
DPDarkPrimus is my boyfriend!

SDNW4 Nation: The Refuge And, on Nova Terra, Al-Stan the Totally and Completely Honest and Legitimate Weapons Dealer and Used Starship Salesman slept on a bed made of money, with a blaster under his pillow and his sombrero pulled over his face. This is to say, he slept very well indeed.
Covenant
Sith Marauder

Post by Covenant »

I never liked this as a kid, or that other book series... what the hell was it... something about time... Ah! A Wrinkle in Time. They gave us these books to read but I never cared for them and could just never get into them at all. I had my grandfather's copies of the LotR trilogy and The Hobbit though, which I devoured even though half of it made no sense (and probably doesn't now either, sooo much exposition).

So yeah, I don't know. For some kids it's a fun trip into a fantasy realm that excites their youthful imaginations with talking lions and evil monsters, but I think a combination of unhappy strangeness and religious overtones made it unpalatable for me and it just made me feel uncomfortable.
The Wench
Youngling

Post by The Wench »

Coincidentally, I was just talking about this series with someone today. I was mumbling something about how I didn't enjoy Victor Gischler's change from crime fiction to fantasy/sci-fi, which I don't like or read much. Half an hour later, I'm running down the list of things I loved about the Narnia Chronicles (go figure), which I read from start to finish in about a week because 1. It's an easy read, and 2. The Magician's Nephew is an interesting take on a creationist mythology, and that really drove me to continue the entire seven books.

The prose flows easily, which doesn't make it a struggle, but the way Lewis presents his concepts of God and Heaven are easily understood, colorful concepts, unlike the traditional Bible (King James, for instance), which is not only confusing but inconsistently structured, fluxing between prose and poetry, and then babble. For example, a lion was an appropriate image for a god (King of the big cats), and embodied symbolism most could easily grasp. The struggles the children experience are those that can easily transcend across ages and cultures: the concepts of wanting to escape reality, searching for some kind of truth/acceptance through that sort of detached escapism and fantasy that we grasp onto as children but seem to lose as adults and somehow try to find in religion/faith/philosophy/theology/etc., and of course, how do you organize the realities so they then make sense? Do they make sense? I think it's interesting Lewis tried to answer these questions in a simpler way.

He also presented war in a way that wasn't so fire and brimstone. I get it's geared towards a younger mindset, but I really enjoyed the chronicles myself. I disliked that the movies skipped over the more beautiful stories that moved slowly (The Magician's Nephew, The Horse and His Boy), in order to get to the "action" like Wardrobe and Prince Caspain. I imagine if they finish the series, they'll jump straight to The Last Battle and ditch Voyage of the Dawn Treader and The Silver Chair.
Drooling Iguana
Sith Marauder

Post by Drooling Iguana »

Actually [url=http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0980970/]Voyage of the Dawn Treader[/i] is currently in production and is scheduled for release in 2010. And the reason that they started with LWW and PC is that those were the first two books in the series - The Magician's Nephew and A Horse and His Boy were prequels written years later.
"Stop! No one can survive these deadly rays!"
"These deadly rays will be your death!"
- Thor and Akton, Starcrash

"Before man reaches the moon your mail will be delivered within hours from New York to California, to England, to India or to Australia by guided missiles.... We stand on the threshold of rocket mail."
- Arthur Summerfield, US Postmaster General 1953 - 1961
Darth Wong
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Post by Darth Wong »

Covenant wrote:I never liked this as a kid, or that other book series... what the hell was it... something about time... Ah! A Wrinkle in Time. They gave us these books to read but I never cared for them and could just never get into them at all. I had my grandfather's copies of the LotR trilogy and The Hobbit though, which I devoured even though half of it made no sense (and probably doesn't now either, sooo much exposition).

So yeah, I don't know. For some kids it's a fun trip into a fantasy realm that excites their youthful imaginations with talking lions and evil monsters, but I think a combination of unhappy strangeness and religious overtones made it unpalatable for me and it just made me feel uncomfortable.
Was the Wrinkle in Time book the one where the girl finds that the enemy is a giant brain and she literally defeats it with love? That was such stupid vomit-inducing bullshit. Evil = pure rational thought!

As for Narnia, I saw the movie and thought it was the dumbest ending ever, when it turned out that the big villain lost because she forgot to read the fine print on her magic spell. I've heard this is faithful to the book, which makes me think that the book must also be incredibly stupid. And from the sounds of it, preachy too.
"It's not evil for God to do it. Or for someone to do it at God's command."- Jonathan Boyd on baby-killing

"you guys are fascinated with the use of those "rules of logic" to the extent that you don't really want to discussus anything."- GC

"I do not believe Russian Roulette is a stupid act" - Embracer of Darkness

"Viagra commercials appear to save lives" - tharkûn on US health care.

http://www.stardestroyer.net/Mike/RantMode/Blurbs.html
Drooling Iguana
Sith Marauder

Post by Drooling Iguana »

In the book she never knew about the fine print as it was put there before she came on the scene and Aslan never bothered to tell her. Makes Aslan come off as a jerk but what else is new?
"Stop! No one can survive these deadly rays!"
"These deadly rays will be your death!"
- Thor and Akton, Starcrash

"Before man reaches the moon your mail will be delivered within hours from New York to California, to England, to India or to Australia by guided missiles.... We stand on the threshold of rocket mail."
- Arthur Summerfield, US Postmaster General 1953 - 1961
Darth Wong
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Post by Darth Wong »

Drooling Iguana wrote:In the book she never knew about the fine print as it was put there before she came on the scene and Aslan never bothered to tell her. Makes Aslan come off as a jerk but what else is new?
Either way, it's stupid writing. It's as if the movie is saying "remember to read your Bible, kids".
"It's not evil for God to do it. Or for someone to do it at God's command."- Jonathan Boyd on baby-killing

"you guys are fascinated with the use of those "rules of logic" to the extent that you don't really want to discussus anything."- GC

"I do not believe Russian Roulette is a stupid act" - Embracer of Darkness

"Viagra commercials appear to save lives" - tharkûn on US health care.

http://www.stardestroyer.net/Mike/RantMode/Blurbs.html