SDN Photo-a-Day (Rules updates - read the OP)

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Re: SDN Photo-a-Day

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

2 Last shots from the Con:

And one from a party:
The largest geek you'll ever see. (He's about 2 meters tall and works out a lot. Nice guy).
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Simplicius
Jedi Council Member

Post by Simplicius »

Death wrote:
Elliott Erwitt wrote:Image
New York is such a great city... .
That lens isn't much for paparazzi shots of people though. (That, or you need to work on your sneaking around skills :D)
Death wrote:
William Eggleston wrote:Image
Memphis is such a great city... .
That lens isn't much for paparazzi shots of people though. (That, or you need to work on your sneaking around skills :D)
Death wrote:
Robert Capa wrote:Image
Normandy is such a great coast... .
Death wrote:
Willy Ronis wrote:Image
Paris is such a great city... .
Death wrote:
Cornell Capa wrote:Image

Buffalo is such a great city... .
Get the picture?
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

While my skills at people-photography are admittedly subpar, "sneaking around skills" is not exactly what's needed, nor - as Simplicius has just pointed out - is my lens the problem.
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

phongn wrote:While my skills at people-photography are admittedly subpar, "sneaking around skills" is not exactly what's needed, nor - as Simplicius has just pointed out - is my lens the problem.
Those shots are crowd or landscape+person shots in my notebook :P.
So your argument fails, in the face of my undefined definitions!
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Image Image
J
Kaye Elle Emenopey

Post by J »

The 2nd picture's beautiful, you have the light fixture & the domed ceiling tilted & offset just enough to make it look lively & eyecatching. I've tried angled views similar to this in a few of my photos but I have a hard time getting the right balance between energy and "ow, I went too far and I don't know which way is up anymore", I usually go too far or not enough, what looks ok on my camera's screen usually doesn't when it's blown up on my computer monitor.
This post is a 100% natural organic product.
The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects

I'm not sure why people choose 'To Love is to Bury' as their wedding song...It's about a murder-suicide
- Margo Timmins

When it becomes serious, you have to lie
- Jean-Claude Juncker
Simplicius
Jedi Council Member

Post by Simplicius »

J wrote:The 2nd picture's beautiful, you have the light fixture & the domed ceiling tilted & offset just enough to make it look lively & eyecatching. I've tried angled views similar to this in a few of my photos but I have a hard time getting the right balance between energy and "ow, I went too far and I don't know which way is up anymore", I usually go too far or not enough, what looks ok on my camera's screen usually doesn't when it's blown up on my computer monitor.
Judging by phongn's photo, and by automotive photography, successful angles are those that bring a strong background-to-foreground line close to the frame's diagonal. Tilting flat scenes gives the "Help, the world's falling over" effect.
The Grim Squeaker wrote:Those shots are crowd or landscape+person shots in my notebook :P.
So your argument fails, in the face of my undefined definitions!
You're not off the hook yet. You didn't grasp even the most basic point of his photo, and instead jumped to make an irrelevant comment about the type of photo you thought he should have been making. You need to pay more attention to others' work, and do more asking and less telling.
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Simplicius wrote:Judging by phongn's photo, and by automotive photography, successful angles are those that bring a strong background-to-foreground line close to the frame's diagonal. Tilting flat scenes gives the "Help, the world's falling over" effect.
In a sense, that's an application of the Golden Ratio (and its applications in the Golden Triangle and Golden Spiral). This blog entry has a brief description and some overlays of how they work. The famous "rule of thirds" is an approximation of the areas defined by the Golden Spiral.

When I'm more mindful, I try to shoot to those proportions - though most of the time I'm not quite so thoughtful. I'm as guilty of firing off snapshots as anyone else.
You're not off the hook yet. You didn't grasp even the most basic point of his photo, and instead jumped to make an irrelevant comment about the type of photo you thought he should have been making. You need to pay more attention to others' work, and do more asking and less telling.
For that matter, there's the whole "lens" comment. The shots I've been posted the last few days are some of my favorite shots - and were taken with my least expensive equipment.
Simplicius
Jedi Council Member

Post by Simplicius »

I'm not much good at candid photography myself, and I don't get much chance to practice it. I stumbled across an opportunity to give it a shot the other day..

I'm not very happy with it, but there's at least some meaning to it if you're a local: there's been a big flap lately over whether undeveloped Sears Island, where POV is standing, should have an intermodal port built on it or not.

Another one, the concept of which I think I like better, if not the execution.
J
Kaye Elle Emenopey

Post by J »

phongn wrote:In a sense, that's an application of the Golden Ratio (and its applications in the Golden Triangle and Golden Spiral). This blog entry has a brief description and some overlays of how they work. The famous "rule of thirds" is an approximation of the areas defined by the Golden Spiral.

When I'm more mindful, I try to shoot to those proportions - though most of the time I'm not quite so thoughtful. I'm as guilty of firing off snapshots as anyone else.
Thanks for the link! I know of the first two rules though I don't consciously use them much, the Golden Spiral is new to me and I'll definitely try to find some applications for it in future photos.
The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects

I'm not sure why people choose 'To Love is to Bury' as their wedding song...It's about a murder-suicide
- Margo Timmins

- Jean-Claude Juncker
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Now for something somewhat different (still from my KR64 binge):

I shot the Bean in some pretty drab lighting giving everything a sort of blue-gray look (the blue might just be my scanner - I really need to get a light table or something). It was also a bit off-center - so, here's the pic cropped a bit and desaturated.

Here's another shot - unfortunately, my focus with my rangefinder isn't so hot so detail was lost, plus the lighting was pretty harsh at that time of day. Thus, I overprocessed the image (heavy contrast, saturation, etc.) to see what I could do with it. I'm not quite pleased with the water, though.

aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

phongn wrote:Now for something somewhat different (still from my KR64 binge):
The Bean is cool, B&W works pretty well with it.

The colours definitely went a bit wonky with the second picture, it now looks like a confused digital camera picture, not Kodachrome. If you don't mind sending me the originals, I'd like to take a shot at fixing up both of these pictures.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Simplicius wrote:Image
Another one, the concept of which I think I like better, if not the execution.
I like this one better too. For one, the colors aren't distracting like the first picture (it has an odd reddish hue to it) and two, the eye is immediately drawn to the dog - who seems much more alert than his master. I wonder, then, what's the guy picking up?

EDIT: Some thoughts about the first picture - I can't quite tell what the subject is. Is it the couple or is it the storage tanks across the river? The couple's dark clothing is also in-line with the much brighter buildings - so they seem to blend in.
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Here's some people. Pentax 645N / Kodak TMY-2 400.

Image Image
Simplicius
Jedi Council Member

Post by Simplicius »

phongn wrote:I like this one better too. For one, the colors aren't distracting like the first picture (it has an odd reddish hue to it) and two, the eye is immediately drawn to the dog - who seems much more alert than his master. I wonder, then, what's the guy picking up?
The hue is just a sloppy color correction job on my part. Sometimes my scans come out with a heavy green-blue tinge to them, and my quick edits are just that. Everything will eventually get proper editing, but I've got another 1300 frames or so to scan first.

If I remember right, the guy was going for something he could toss.

Fake Edit: Do you find having the native format be portrait odd, or is it easy to get used to?
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Simplicius wrote:The hue is just a sloppy color correction job on my part. Sometimes my scans come out with a heavy green-blue tinge to them, and my quick edits are just that. Everything will eventually get proper editing, but I've got another 1300 frames or so to scan first.
I tend to like somewhat colder images so my scans (especially the Kodachrome stuff) probably reflects that. And I know what you mean about huge numbers of frames to scan :x
Fake Edit: Do you find having the native format be portrait odd, or is it easy to get used to?
The 645N is a landscape camera. I've briefly handled a Fuji GA645 and it feels a bit odd, to be honest.
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

3 shots from today:
I've been hankering to get my hands on a macro lens exactly this short of shot of an eye. Focus is a bloody headache with a 100mm Macro lens though...

Photography
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Simplicius wrote:Fake Edit: Do you find having the native format be portrait odd, or is it easy to get used to?
I'm shooting a bit with my Olympus Pen FT which also has portrait as the default, I find I don't really notice it at all. Then again this is the first camera I learned to use so it's 2nd nature, more or less.

Edit: And a photo.

The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Macro:

Jerusalem towers at sunset:

Urban landscape inside a botanical garden:
Photography
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

Death, that second photo two points up - the girl praying - is beautiful.
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Bounty wrote:Death, that second photo two points up - the girl praying - is beautiful.
She's actually Orthodox Jewish, and the church is a christian one, but once we found that the rail overlooked the church and I moved her around a bit, it all just clicked.
I'm enraptured by the light, it just came out so soft and golden (it was midday light through trees, so no idea why it wasn't harsh), it just made the whole thing "Click". :D.
Photography
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

I seriously overexposed a bunch of Fortia shots - I need to be more careful about it and learn how to properly meter (i.e. not trust the camera all the time!) But here are a couple of my better shots from this particular roll. 645N / Fortia SP @ EI 64.

The second shot is a crop from a larger image; LR's crop feature conveniently shows rule-of-thirds for you. The crop also measures quite close to the size of a 135 frame!

Image Image
Last edited by phongn on 2009-10-17 07:45pm, edited 1 time in total.
J
Kaye Elle Emenopey

Post by J »

My husband made me do camera duties at the bicycle race since he was trying to pick up women too busy socializing.
Action photography usually isn't my thing so I had more duds than normal.

Best socks of the day

Jumping over the barriers

- Margo Timmins

- Jean-Claude Juncker
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Parents. A few words of caution: don't do this to your kid too many times or he'll get motion sick and upchuck his lunch. My friend's husband had his kid run at him, then he'd pick him up and backflip him in the air & catch him. After a few flips the kid wasn't running too straight anymore.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
generator_g1
Jedi Master

Post by generator_g1 »

Animal pics for the day. :)

My FLICKR page! :D
Remember, people, commas are your friends. Love them, embrace them, cherish them, and for crying out loud, USE them.