Clone Wars season 2

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

VT-16
Sith Marauder

Re: Clone Wars season 2

Post by VT-16 »

New preview is up on YT. First Holocrons, now Spoiler
Emperor's Hands precursors. Well, that's Sidious plan anyway, it seems.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

I finally saw the preview after the credits, it's cool that they made sure to remember that the V-19 Torrent is likely too small to equip a hyperdrive.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
VT-16
Sith Marauder

Post by VT-16 »

Oh, yeah, I think that was even noted in an issue of Republic. Wow, not bad.
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

Was anyone else a little disturbed by the scene with Cad Bane's interrogation?
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
TC Pilot
Jedi Council Member

Post by TC Pilot »

I don't think it's supposed to make the Jedi look good.

The episodes so far seem a bit... rushed. But overall, I don't have much to comment on. Nothing really sprang to mind as being blatantly wrong, but Palpatine's plan to enslave younglings seemed a bit off.
"He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot, but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."

"Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero."
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

one of the problems I have with this series is that they sometimes try to cram too much into a single episode. In this episode, we have Bane's escape from the Resolute, the kidnapping of the children, and the events on mustafar. Realistically, each of those events could have been an episode unto itself.
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
VT-16
Sith Marauder

Post by VT-16 »

The problem is, the previous two were setting up this one, and they felt dragged out because they took place in only one or two locations. Now we had five locations and little time spent on each one, and it felt like a fresh breeze in comparison. One of my favorite so far. 8)
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Obviously didn't like the bit about going to Mustafar. I'd be (morbidly) interested to know what the 'slave surgery' Palpatine was planning was.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

Vympel wrote:I finally saw the preview after the credits, it's cool that they made sure to remember that the V-19 Torrent is likely too small to equip a hyperdrive.
not that the use of the hyperdrive rings bothers me, but why is the V-19 too small for a hyperdrive unit? We've seen them on craft of similar size. A Torrent isn't much smaller than an X-wing or a B-wing, and they have internal hyperdrive units.
TC Pilot
Jedi Council Member

Post by TC Pilot »

Well, that new episode was a nice pile of continuity errors all wrapped into one: Padme goes with a treasonous Senator whose part of the.... Banking Clan to.... Cato Neimoidia and meets.... the Trade Federation Senator.
"He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot, but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."

Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

TC Pilot wrote:Well, that new episode was a nice pile of continuity errors all wrapped into one: Padme goes with a treasonous Senator whose part of the.... Banking Clan to.... Cato Neimoidia and meets.... the Trade Federation Senator.
Erm.... yeah.

When I saw Lot Dodd I was like "why the fuck isn't he in prison?"

also, somehow Poggle the Lesser escaped the battle of Geonosis. Also, the preview said that the assault on the droid foundry is meeting heavy resistance from the "native geonosians" so apparently Count Dooku built his new droid factory on....... Geonosis? I like the idea of intrigue in the senate, but they could have done it without blatantly violating continuity. This is going to make the hyper-inclusionists on wookiepedia's heads explode.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Darksider wrote: also, somehow Poggle the Lesser escaped the battle of Geonosis.
Well we know he had to have since he was killed on Mustafar in Episode III. As far as the Banking Clan is concerned, I have seen it stated before that the IBC actually financially supported both sides of the conflict despite deploying its military assets for the Confederacy.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

Did they say he was the senator from the banking clans, or the banking guilds? we could be dealing with two separate entities.

Still, I hope the web comic clears up the bullshit about Cato Neimoidia, since it's listed as a key founding member of the CIS, although they might be ignoring that completely, since no one has actually call the seps the Confederacy in the series, just the Separatist Alliance. Still, we know that there was a major battle going on on Cato Neimoidia in Ep III, so at some point it's going to fall into confederate hands. I'm more concerned about the next episode, which apparently shows the republic attack a secret droid factory on Geonosis, which they apparently failed to secure at the onset of the war when they captured it or something. I seriously hope it's a geonosian colony or something.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Darksider wrote:also, somehow Poggle the Lesser escaped the battle of Geonosis. Also, the preview said that the assault on the droid foundry is meeting heavy resistance from the "native geonosians" so apparently Count Dooku built his new droid factory on....... Geonosis? I like the idea of intrigue in the senate, but they could have done it without blatantly violating continuity. This is going to make the hyper-inclusionists on wookiepedia's heads explode.
Maybe the Geonosians settled on more than one world? Or the Separatists retook Geonosis at some point?
TC Pilot
Jedi Council Member

Post by TC Pilot »

Darksider wrote:Did they say he was the senator from the banking clans, or the banking guilds? we could be dealing with two separate entities.
It's the Banking Clan, but he's the Senator from a specific planet.

Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

still, it looks like we'll get some decent battle scenes in the next episode, plus, we get to see those cool new clone troopers with the flamers make bugs all crispy-like. I just hope they include some space combat too. I think the space aspect of the war has been woefully under-represented in the series. I want to see a massive battle of endor style space engagement at least once.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Darksider wrote:still, it looks like we'll get some decent battle scenes in the next episode, plus, we get to see those cool new clone troopers with the flamers make bugs all crispy-like. I just hope they include some space combat too. I think the space aspect of the war has been woefully under-represented in the series. I want to see a massive battle of endor style space engagement at least once.
It would be nice. We had one fairly big space battle near the end of season one over Ryloth as I recall, but it was still only eight ships or so. Don't think we've had anything surpassing that yet, though I could be wrong.
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

It seems like most of the naval combat in the Clone Wars EU is simply a side effect of getting troops to a planet. The republic has to break a token separatist blockade to land their forces on the ground and engage the droid armies, and the CIS seems to primarily target undefended planets like Ryloth and Kayyyshyk in order to use their numerical advantage to spread the republic thin. This fits with the material that says the Confederate navy's ships are generally inferior to republic vessels. They can't match them in open naval combat, so they have to resort to swarming them with superior numbers of ships, tricks like the nemoidian commander pulled over ryloth, or attacking planets that don't have significant naval defenses. Remember that three Venator-class star destroyers were able to "scrap" General Grevious' entire fleet at Bothaui, even though one of them had already taken a pretty nasty hit. The Battle of Coruscant might have been one of only a few major naval engagements of the war.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Offhand, I assumed the Banking Clan senator was senator for some nominally loyal planet. Hence the worry about him working with the Seperatists. Lott Dodd could simply have not been on Coruscant when the war kicked off.

As for the notion that it's on Geonosis, that doesn't really bother me that much. Given the importance of Geonosians to the Confederacy, and the fact that both sides were reasonably evenly matched, I see nothing preventing them retaking the place after episode 2.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

NecronLord wrote:
As for the notion that it's on Geonosis, that doesn't really bother me that much. Given the importance of Geonosians to the Confederacy, and the fact that both sides were reasonably evenly matched, I see nothing preventing them retaking the place after episode 2.
True, and as for the droid factories, The Republic seemed more interested in destroying the droid army and preventing the core ships from taking off rather than taking out the factories themselves. They only sent commandos in to perform low level sabotage to keep the factories from reinforcing the droids on the surface, so I suppose most of the infrastructure would still be intact. I doubt it would be difficult for the Confederacy to restore most of the planet's production capability.
VT-16
Sith Marauder

Post by VT-16 »

The behind the scenes video for this ep actually describes the relation between the Separatists and the commerce guilds. Basically, while the known leaders of each are known to be separatists themselves and bankroll the movement, the actual guilds and member-species are still nominally part of the Republic, at least this early in the war. That's why Padme doesn't treat Dodd as a separatist or the Neimoidians as a whole.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Is it just me or did it seem like Anakin intentionally left the corrupt Senator to die out of jealousy? Even though the way he walked toward the battle droids at the end without him getting killed right away had me thinking "TRAP TRAP TRAP."
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

So, was this a jump back in time (pre CW movie) or was Ahsoka just not around? Or will we never know?

PS: If there is a way to know, where does one look? Or do you just have to have a lot of EU experience to place it all together.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

RogueIce wrote:So, was this a jump back in time (pre CW movie) or was Ahsoka just not around? Or will we never know?

PS: If there is a way to know, where does one look? Or do you just have to have a lot of EU experience to place it all together.
Leland Chee has said the TCW continuity is up in the air at the moment, and they will not bother to determine what happened when in the show until after the show is finished.

All we know for a faction at this stage is that this is still early in the Clone Wars rather than late, hence the continued use of Phase I Clonetrooper Armor by every Clone.

Personally I'd like to see them change Obi-Wan's and Anakin's outfits. They should be closer to what they wear in RotS, or at least should become closer.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

Vympel wrote:
Leland Chee has said the TCW continuity is up in the air at the moment, and they will not bother to determine what happened when in the show until after the show is finished.

All we know for a faction at this stage is that this is still early in the Clone Wars rather than late, hence the continued use of Phase I Clonetrooper Armor by every Clone.

Personally I'd like to see them change Obi-Wan's and Anakin's outfits. They should be closer to what they wear in RotS, or at least should become closer.
Do we know how long the clone wars is going to last? I've heard anywhere from three to five seasons. That's a lot of shit to cram into a three and a half year timeline which is already so full up. My guess is that something's getting tossed. (*Crosses fingers* c'mon true colors. Throw it the fuck out)
as for the outfits, they seem like a logical extension of the armor they wore in the micro-series, and it makes sense for Jedi Knights to actually, y'know, wear armor when they're leading an army.