"The Blackest Night" Talkback Thread (Spoilers)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Re: "The Blackest Night" Talkback Thread (Spoilers)

Post by TimothyC »

Martha's response to Lois-2 was awesome. I really do like how Johns is characterizing her.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

A reminder to everyone that Green Lantern# 46 goes on sale on Wednesday; IGN has uploaded their preview and, well, this looks like it'll kick as much ass as last issue. My initial thoughts:
Spoiler
* Interlude: Again, as with GL 44, this looks like it'll work nicely as TBN # 3.5 -- though it again brings up a question a lot of people have been wondering: How will DC collect TBN? Presumably, the main mini-series will get its own collection. But given how GL/GLC are closely linked to the main narrative and indeed, in this case, bridging crucial scenes, it could end up being collected together in publication order. Just a question that I've wondered about.

* Unreliable Narrator: Somebody on the ComicBloc forums made an interesting observation: every TBN issue of GL has been narrated by a different representative of the emotional spectrum (Black Hand, Hal, Carrol, and now Sinestro). It's a nice touch and hopefully Saint Walker, Larfleeze, Atrocitus, and Indigo-1 will get their share.

Speaking of narrators, Sinestro's inner monologue is interesting and not just because of the confirmation that he and Arin had the fling. Remember, Johns' emphasized back in "Alpha Lanterns", "Secret Origin", and even the SCW prologue that Sinestro had the greatest respect for Abin Sur; he was the only officer other than Hal whom Sinestro considered a friend rather than a colleague. I like that in spire of all he's done, Sinestro still feels regret over his refusal to take Abin's warnings about the Ysmault prophecies seriously until after the latter's death. It again adds to the complexity that the character has received in the last 5 years and it pretty much garuntees how Sinestro will react when he encounters Black Lantern Abin.

And of course his analysis of Hal -- "He arrives as always. Loudly."

:lol: :lol: :lol:

* Surprise Resurrections: As with Larfleeze's victims, I should have realized that the dead bodies Slussh was carrying around in his membrane would be targets for Black Rings; great visual.
On a somewhat interesting side-note, a recent interview with Alan Moore brought up the matter of TBN; remember, Moore's short stort "Tygers" from the late 80's served as a cornerstone for much of SCW and in turn, TBN. Moore's given his thoughts and, well...
I was noticing that DC seems to have based one of its latest crossovers [Blackest Night] in Green Lantern based on a couple of eight-page stories that I did 25 or 30 years ago. I would have thought that would seem kind of desperate and humiliating, When I have said in interviews that it doesn’t look like the American comic book industry has had an idea of its own in the past 20 or 30 years, I was just being mean. I didn’t expect the companies concerned to more or less say, “Yeah, he’s right. Let’s see if we can find another one of his stories from 30 years ago to turn into some spectacular saga.” It’s tragic. The comics that I read as a kid that inspired me were full of ideas. They didn’t need some upstart from England to come over there and tell them how to do comics. They’d got plenty of ideas of their own. But these days, I increasingly get a sense of the comics industry going through my trashcan like raccoons in the dead of the night.
You know, on one hand I have the utmost respect for Moore's contributions to the medium. On the other hand, this just adds to the bitter curmudgeon public image that Moore perpetuates and incites every time he gets interviewed.
Trogdor
Sith Devotee

Post by Trogdor »

JME2 wrote:Spoiler
Surprise Resurrections: As with Larfleeze's victims, I should have realized that the dead bodies Slussh was carrying around in his membrane would be targets for Black Rings; great visual.

Spoiler
Did one of the black rings raise Amon Sur out of Slushh? Wasn't Amon already there? Wasn't he the one taunting Sinestro just before then? :?
"I want to mow down a bunch of motherfuckers with absurdly large weapons and relative impunity - preferably in and around a skyscraper. Then I want to fight a grim battle against the unlikely duo of the Terminator and Robocop. The last level should involve (but not be limited to) multiple robo-Hitlers and a gorillasaurus rex."--Uraniun235 on his ideal FPS game

"The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant compared to the power of the Force."--Darth Vader
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Trogdor wrote:
Surprise Resurrections: As with Larfleeze's victims, I should have realized that the dead bodies Slussh was carrying around in his membrane would be targets for Black Rings; great visual.

Spoiler
Did one of the black rings raise Amon Sur out of Slushh? Wasn't Amon already there? Wasn't he the one taunting Sinestro just before then? :?
Spoiler
Yes, he was. Slussh managed to kill him -- again -- but didn't destroy the ring, allowing it and its compadres to resurrect him again in addition to the others. At least that's what I'm seeing.
Trogdor
Sith Devotee

Post by Trogdor »

Yes, he was. Slussh managed to kill him -- again -- but didn't destroy the ring, allowing it and its compadres to resurrect him again in addition to the others. At least that's what I'm seeing.
That would definitely make more sense than an incredibly obvious goof.
"I want to mow down a bunch of motherfuckers with absurdly large weapons and relative impunity - preferably in and around a skyscraper. Then I want to fight a grim battle against the unlikely duo of the Terminator and Robocop. The last level should involve (but not be limited to) multiple robo-Hitlers and a gorillasaurus rex."--Uraniun235 on his ideal FPS game

"The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant compared to the power of the Force."--Darth Vader
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Another reminder that TBN: Titans # 2 also goes on sale tomorrow; IGN has uploaded their customary preview and, well, I for one welcome our new zombie infant overlords... :twisted:
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

My thoughts on this week's installments...
Spoiler
TBN: Titans -- So, Titans Tower gets detroyed agian and Donna's got a zombie virus. * yawn *

GL: AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. :twisted: Yes! Fuck yes. :twisted:

* Heart of Stone: Well, son of a bitch, it was Khufu and Chay-ara's bodies in the Zamaron Central Battery; the theory had been going around since TBN # 2 and it's another nice element from Johns' Hawkman run coming up. And now we've got two more undead Hawks running around; lovely...

* Adios Muchachos Well, with Zamaron abandoned and the CPB destroyed and the Predator on the loose, I think it's safe to say the Star Sapphires Corps is out of the game.

* New Recruits: Crap, Ash and Saarek didn't make it off Ryut alive...

* Sinestro vs. Mongul: Hehehehehe....Ah, Sinestro -- the consummate sneaky bastard. I loved how he's not actually going to kill Mongul until he's certain the dead aren't rising anymore. And Korugar proves it's learned nothing...
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

Spoiler
Sometimes I think the Suicide Squad has a hirer survival rate than the Teen Titans.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

Spoiler
We know that they can't read Dove, and that the old Dove was "At Peace", so could the current dove, being seen as white, simply have all of the emotions, but they are all in balance? IE all of the emotional spectrum being put together to make white?
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
Jedi Master

Post by avatarxprime »

MariusRoi wrote:Spoiler
We know that they can't read Dove, and that the old Dove was "At Peace", so could the current dove, being seen as white, simply have all of the emotions, but they are all in balance? IE all of the emotional spectrum being put together to make white?
Spoiler
That was my thinking as well since Dove does respond with anger to her sister's death and clearly shows other emotions despite being unreadable.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Spoiler
My guess would be that Dove characteristically is not driven by one of the major emotions of the spectrum, and instead draws equally on all of them.
The hope, compassion and love to always look for a peaceful solution, the anger and fear to act when necessary and the willpower to sustain and balance the decisions either way.

The only thing that leaves out is Avarice, which in Dove's case can be described as an excessive or insatiable desire for peace instead of possessions.

If you look at the Avatars of the other Corps, they all draw far too much on one emotion, which is how their rings chose them in the first place. The Black Lanterns choose the dead because they have no emotions at all.

Carol Ferris loves (Hal) to the point of tormenting and hurting herself.
Sinestro uses fear so much that even his own family is afraid of him.
The Blue dude relies on hope so much that he is defenseless.
Atrocious has so much rage that it blinds him to everything else.
Hal is so willful i.e. headstrong and stubborn, that he sacrifices love and friendships because of it.
Indigo is so full of compassion that there is no room for in her life for herself, it is always about others.
Larfreez is so full of greed that there is no room for others in his life, it is always about himself.

Someone like Dove, who is a compassionate, hopeful, loving, warrior (rage and fear) who is 'greedy' for peace and has the willpower to balance his thoughts emotions and actions accordingly, is not a suitable candidate for any one ring, and I surmise that that makes Dove a horrible candidate for a Black Ring. Basically Dove represents wisdom and balance, which is what life is about, balancing all your emotions, thoughts and actions properly.

Wisdom may be what is assigned to whatever new ring/corps/being/light/color that is used to defeat the Black Lanterns.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

A reminder to everyone that TBN: Batman # 3 and GLC# 41 will be released on Wednesday. The former is not only the first tie-in mini-series to conclude, but should prove interesting given the mind-fucks being perpetuated against the Bat-family. The latter looks to continue the Black Lantern assault on Oa, all the more enjoyable considering it hasn't been touched on in the main book since issue 1.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

I'm sorry, but this is just fucking dragging. I've stopped reading until the whole thing is finished and then will re-read it all at once. Maybe that will pick the pace up a bit.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Havok wrote:I'm sorry, but this is just fucking dragging. I've stopped reading until the whole thing is finished and then will re-read it all at once. Maybe that will pick the pace up a bit.
True; this has been a problem with the tie-in's as the exact same scenario is playing out. As Steve observed a few pages back, things should start picking up once issue 4 hits and power levels reach 100%.
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

After Blackest Night: Superman #3, Krypto is officially my favorite of all of the Superman characters.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

A reminder to everyone that the final issue of TBN: Titans, as well as Green Lantern # 47 and, of course, TBN# 4 go on sale tomorrow. IGN has posted a preview of Green Lantern # 47 and, well...
Spoiler
...aside from another Corps 'General' providing narration, it's darkly amusing to see the Black Lanterns are going to have trouble with Atrocitus and his merry band... :twisted:
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

TBN #4 was freakin' SWEET. :twisted:

Ironically I had to go back and read GLC #41 and the conclusion to the Batman and Superman mini-series since I've been so busy with other projects. I actually skipped a week of comics.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

TimothyC wrote:After Blackest Night: Superman #3, Krypto is officially my favorite of all of the Superman characters.
Robinson's been giving a good take on Krypto since the "Coming of Atlas" arc in Superman. I can't wait to see the Dog of Steel tackle Dex-Star... :twisted:
Steve wrote:TBN #4 was freakin' SWEET. :twisted:.
No shit... :twisted:
Spoiler
* Second Act Syndrome: Mmm, no I think we're still firing on all cylinders; sorry, Mr. Bendis... :twisted:

* Agent of the Bat: Kinda of a letdown that after all the teases on Rip Hunter's chalkboard in Booster Gold, Jean Paul Valley has indeed been dead since the end of his series a few years back. Still, the confrontation with Scarecrow was unexpected, but well executed. It's a nice nod, similar to Crane nearly receiving Amon Sur's ring back in "Alpha Lanterns".

* A Different Lens: I'm actually really digging that the main focus this issue was Barry, Ray, and Mera. 52 proved you could do a major story with minor characters in the driver's seat and Johns learned well from his contributions. I'm even more impressed that, barring Hal and Barry, the big guns still have only had cameos in the main event. It's a refreshing change of pace from the all-star casts of recent events.

* Damage Report: Well, now we know another reason why Johns focused so much on Damage during his final two years on JSA.Glad to see Johns writing the JSA again, if briefly; the confrontations with Jean Lorning and Al Pratt were again, expected but well executed. And by fighting Jean, perhaps Ray will finally make peace with the events of Identity Crisis.

* Fallen City, Risen City: I called it. :twisted: Oh, just wait until Hal faces off against the Black Lantern Jordan family... :twisted:

* Big Bad: We knew it was coming, but Nekron's reveal was still cool as hell.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Hav, man, you don't know what you're missing here. Slow? This isn't slow. It's just a shitload of story going by at just the right pace.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

And GL #47 was just as awesome.

I'm recalling when IGN named Sinestro Corps War the Best Story of 2007 and stated that they hoped the followup wasn't better because "We don't know if our brains can handle the thrill".

Well, looks like IGN's comics guys might suffer brainsplosions.... :twisted:

JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Steve wrote:And GL #47 was just as awesome.

I'm recalling when IGN named Sinestro Corps War the Best Story of 2007 and stated that they hoped the followup wasn't better because "We don't know if our brains can handle the thrill".

Well, looks like IGN's comics guys might suffer brainsplosions.... :twisted:
While the scope of TBN far surpasses SCW, I think ultimately SCW is still going to be my favorite installment in the trilogy and not just because that was the story that fully sold me on Johns. The moment Arkillo received the first yellow ring in Green Lantern # 10, we knew we were looking at a countdown for a major ticking time bomb; the last page reveal of the Black Lanterns rising in SCW produced a similar effect. The difference is that even with that subplot, none of us realized how big or awesome the SCW would become. As you put it a few months ago, Steve, it bitchslapped our expectations. With TBN, we've gone into it expecting it to surpass SCW. It's still a kick-ass, awesome story, though and I'm loving every minute of it.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

....you remember me using that terminology after almost 9 months? :shock: I literally had to do a search just to remember I'd said something like that. :lol:

You do have a good point, though, if just that we've been expecting TBN to kick unholy amounts of ass for, what, a year now? It's not going to surprise us. But we never imagined Sinestro Corps War would be so awesome as to take Amazons Attack, Countdown, World War Hulk, Infinity Crisis, and Civil War and make them its bitches in the quality department. So SCW may yet leave the bigger luster for us, even if TBN exceeds it in epicness.

JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Steve wrote:....you remember me using that terminology after almost 9 months? :shock: I literally had to do a search just to remember I'd said something like that. :lol:
What can I say, I usually have a good memory. 8)
Steve wrote:Hav, man, you don't know what you're missing here. Slow? This isn't slow. It's just a shitload of story going by at just the right pace.
Exactly,. Remember, what we're seeing here is the payoff to five years of build-up. Johns, Tomasi, and the other writers have to juggle the Earth Lanterns, the Color Guard (a name for the Lantern 'Generals' that's been popping up on Newsarama), and the casts of the 8 Corps -- not to mention the other major players of the DCU as a result of the expansion from the GL titles. It's admittedly been a bit repetitive, ala the Skrull reveals, but now that we've hit 100%, the pace should increase as we near the denouement.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

This is actually why I wasn't as shook up as some to hear that Didio and DC made TBN their big event this year. As much as it made me leery - especially after seeing the acid-trip mess that was Final Crisis - it also occurred to me that it'd let Johns tell more story. And as he made such remarks - that the storyline having a main mini-series with GL and GLC branching out of it meant he could do more - I felt even better. I knew this could end up being very special...

And so far I've been right. THE BLACKEST NIGHT has come..... :twisted:

The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

Steve wrote: It's not going to surprise us. But we never imagined Sinestro Corps War would be so awesome as to take Amazons Attack, Countdown, World War Hulk, Infinity Crisis, and Civil War and make them its bitches in the quality department. So SCW may yet leave the bigger luster for us, even if TBN exceeds it in epicness.
In all fairness though, all of those except for WWH and IC SUCKED. (And out of the two remaining, only World War Hulk was actually really good :)).
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.