SGU 105: Light (Spoilers)

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Rate 'Light' 1-5

5 - The worshippers of Ra referred to it as the Heart of Light.
30%
4 - Beyond the Night, arising sun.
38%
3 - I believe this is the room of Light of which Daniel Jackson has spoken.
17%
2 - Point of arrival is dark.
10%
1 - The Eye of Odin grows dim.
5%

Total votes: 60

Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Re: SGU 105: Light (Spoilers)

Post by Gil Hamilton »

Bounty wrote:I actually find Rush's character very recognisable - the perfectionist who envisions an environment that perfectly supports his genius, who gets cripplingly frustrated when anyone around him doesn't live up to that ideal. It's almost the perfect opposite of Baltar, who comes across as a chronic underachiever. Look what happens when both are given responsibility: Rush works himself into a coma trying to get his work done, Baltar orders booze and hookers.
You find alot of Rushs in academic departments. You also find alot of Baltars.
Starglider wrote:SGU and nBSG are both soap operas with deeply flawed characters and lots of sex and swearing. It has a similar visual style, dark dramatic lighting, grittiness, drunken camera, but less exagerated. I don't think the music is similar though; it's just really heavy handed. In that last episode the music hardly ever stopped and overpowered the dialogue (not that that was a bad thing, because the dialogue sucked).
I still don't think they are that similar overall. Alot of new additions, like flawed characters, some sort of visual style at all, a bit of grittiness; these were things that Stargate could use. Stargate SG-1 and Atlantis are kind of fluffy; the universe could use some edge to it.
That's bizarre. Baltar has always been charming, Rush acts like an asshole, I don't see how you could reconcile that blatant difference with 'same character'.
I myself don't. However, when SG-U started, I heard alot of "Oh, Lord, they cloned Baltar". However, I disagree with you though. Baltar tends to act like an asshole too, just one that has been accustomed to a cozy semi-celebrity lifestyle. Stick Baltar ass on Icarus base for six months and then strand him on a ship which can't support the population, make him the only person who can credibly fix the problem in the long term, and then make everyone hate him. I wonder how charming he'd be then. Rush is an arrogant prig, but alot of his assholishness comes from his situation, in my opinion.
Anyway, I gave this a 2 since it was really boring and what wasn't boring (the last 5 minutes) was predictable. As my wife said, almost nothing of note happened in this episode. The middle 20 minutes were particularly annoying, with everyone sitting around and moping/fucking, where you can bet your ass that SG-1 or the SG:A team would be trying something, anything to change the situation. I like the idea of the situation being the life-or-death challenge rather than introducing humanoid enemies, and I can tolerate the protagonists being annoying. Any more of this pathetic passiveness and stupid Lost-style massive-blocks-of-irrelevant-backstory and we will not be watching or buying the DVDs.
Well, they could have had Carter or Daniel go "Eureka!" then solve the problem by opening a panel, rearranging some random pointy lucite bits inside, and hitting a button in the last five minutes, while shooting off one-liners to each other, in order to solve the problem.

Their solution to getting the shuttle back to the ship was hokey (gravity boosting doesn't work that way!), but at least they are trying something different than the standard Deus Ex Machinas that the other series pull frequently.
"Show me an angel and I will paint you one." - Gustav Courbet

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

no, Baltar is a NARCISSTIC BASTARD
Rush is an ARROGANT PRICK

there's a big differance

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

The Yosemite Bear wrote:no, Baltar is a NARCISSTIC BASTARD
Rush is an ARROGANT PRICK

there's a big differance
And after the direction Baltar's character went in the second half of the series, Rush is also a nice breath of fresh air (and not just in regards to Baltar; Rodney was a prick at times, but he was still likable enough. Rush, though, is a prick through and through and I'm loving it).
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

damn straight, we need more smart misenthropes, fuck this drama, I know what I'm doing, I may be crazy but I'm not a knuckle dragging fundy.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

Rush, though, is a prick through and through
I wouldn't call him a prick.

He's deeply lacking in coping skills, sure. He's blunt and he's a cynic when it comes to other people. But that's an outgrowth of the circumstances - he should be living his dream of exploring an alien spacecraft and instead he's stuck with soldiers who don't shut up and do what he says, kids running around touching buttons, panicky people who want him to drop whatever he's doing to get them home. It's a nightmare for him. The few times when he's calmed down a bit, that scene where he's talking to Eli and just after he wakes up after collapsing, I think those are the real Rush.

He's not being blunt for the sake of it, or to hurt people, he's blunt because he's deeply frustrated and nobody around him is qualified to help. It still makes him a deeply flawed human being and a pain to work with, but it doesn't mean he likes that any more than the people who suffer through his tirades.
Bilbo
Jedi Master

Post by Bilbo »

Bounty wrote:
Rush, though, is a prick through and through
I wouldn't call him a prick.

He's deeply lacking in coping skills, sure. He's blunt and he's a cynic when it comes to other people. But that's an outgrowth of the circumstances - he should be living his dream of exploring an alien spacecraft and instead he's stuck with soldiers who don't shut up and do what he says, kids running around touching buttons, panicky people who want him to drop whatever he's doing to get them home. It's a nightmare for him. The few times when he's calmed down a bit, that scene where he's talking to Eli and just after he wakes up after collapsing, I think those are the real Rush.

He's not being blunt for the sake of it, or to hurt people, he's blunt because he's deeply frustrated and nobody around him is qualified to help. It still makes him a deeply flawed human being and a pain to work with, but it doesn't mean he likes that any more than the people who suffer through his tirades.
I can see a comparison of himself and McKay running through Rush's mind constantly.

"Rodney got an entire ancient city with a dedicated team of scientists to help him and a civilian commander. I get a falling apart ship whose mainframe I cannot log into and a group of whiney bitches who keep touching shit!!"
I KILL YOU!!!
Stargate Nerd
Padawan Learner

Post by Stargate Nerd »

Stargate Universe certainly does remind me of nBSG. Mainly the emo whining by the likes of Chloe and the moronic plotting by parts of the crew. But what SGU reminds me even more so is Lost. Seemingly every character has either a dark secret, a mysterious past or a fucked up childhood. :lol:

Still I'm not complaining, after 15 seasons of lighthearted Stargate a little bit of forced darkness is quite welcome.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Stargate Nerd wrote:Stargate Universe certainly does remind me of nBSG. Mainly the emo whining by the likes of Chloe
What emo whining? She has a realistic appraisal of her worth to the mission (alive and able bodied) and is upset about her father's death what's wrong with that?
and the moronic plotting by parts of the crew.
What? Wanting to know what the leaders are up to? How's that moronic?
But what SGU reminds me even more so is Lost. Seemingly every character has either a dark secret, a mysterious past or a fucked up childhood. :lol:
Chloe has none of these. She's merely got an crappy recent past.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Stargate Nerd
Padawan Learner

Post by Stargate Nerd »

NecronLord wrote:What emo whining? She has a realistic appraisal of her worth to the mission (alive and able bodied) and is upset about her father's death what's wrong with that?
I think you misunderstand. I'm not saying it's not justified. It probably is. Just as Colonial whining was justified after their whole civilization was destroyed. It's just we've never had this expressed to this degree in the other Stargate series or any other SciFi series I've watched no matter what just happened. Carter getting emotional after Daniel died is all I can think of.
What? Wanting to know what the leaders are up to? How's that moronic?
The way the go at it 1 or 2 days after being stranded? Weren't parts of the mob actually present when Rush and Young got into it over dialing back to earth in the Pilot? I just think the way the mob formed out of thin air on day 2 is stretching it.
Chloe has none of these. She's merely got an crappy recent past.
Good enough.
Bilbo
Jedi Master

Post by Bilbo »

NecronLord wrote: Chloe has none of these. She's merely got an crappy recent past.

Naw, this is Emogate. I fully expect by the end of Season 1 we are going to learn that she was her father's aide in an attempt to save her parents marriage because her father the senator couldnt keep his pants on and had fucked every other aide or intern on his staff.
I KILL YOU!!!
CaptJodan
Jedi Council Member

Post by CaptJodan »

NecronLord wrote:What emo whining? She has a realistic appraisal of her worth to the mission (alive and able bodied)...
Yes, that's my problem with her. She whines about being practically useless (other than alive and able bodied), but doesn't work to solve that problem. Have we seen her volunteer for anything other than to be Scott's new fuck toy? Tried to apprentice herself out to someone? Has she even offered to pick up one crate, or help be a gopher, or do anything but suck air and eat food?

She recognizes, rightly, that she's all but useless right now. Fair enough, and I give her credit for recognizing that she shouldn't be one of the two handpicked by Young. But the next step is to work on becoming useful. Should Young not be in charge at the next crisis which requires a lottery (for example, if the IOA woman is in charge), she may find herself cut from the survivor list in short order unless she contributes. I would think that to be a good motivator for showing usefulness.
It's Jodan, not Jordan. If you can't quote it right, I will mock you.
Zac Naloen
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zac Naloen »

Remember Jodan, in real time they've been there, what a week?

Having watched the Sky 1 special feature, she will make efforts to find her place in coming episodes. They are just letting their characters develop more organically than any stargate before... and as the people who are writing this show have never done anything like it before, I imagine there is a bit of a learning curve to such a sudden change in style with regards to the writing as well.

Right now I can accept that it is only natural that those who are already established SGC will rise to the top at first.
Member of the Unremarkables
Just because you're god, it doesn't mean you can treat people that way : - My girlfriend
Evil Brit Conspiracy - Insignificant guy
tezunegari
Jedi Knight

Post by tezunegari »

NecronLord wrote:What? Wanting to know what the leaders are up to? How's that moronic?
It's moronic how the mob tried to pressure Eli into giving them the info. Lt. "Nipples" James lured him away from a showering Chloe with what appeared to be a "let's 'talk' in private" wink-wink-nudge-nudge acting. Then they all ganged up on him.

Just having James asking him about keeping the NCOs and assorted non-command people informed about the situation would have been easier. (And it would have allowed for a nice fan-service if Lt. James had included a line like "I need a shower, promise to keep us informed and this time you can stay were you are..." :mrgreen: )
"Bring your thousands, I have my axe."
"Bring your cannons, I have my armor."
"Bring your mighty... I am my own champion."
Cue Unit-01 ramming half the Lance of Longinus down Adam's head and a bemused Gendo, "Wrong end, son."
Ikari Gendo, NGE Fanfiction "Standing Tall"