SDN Photo-a-Day (Rules updates - read the OP)

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Re: SDN Photo-a-Day

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

aerius wrote:
The Grim Squeaker wrote:
Statues: I would have preferred a smaller aperture for this one. You've made only one statue the subject of the photo with no clear reason why, and it's not even the one whose face we can see.
Low light. I tried playing with the angles, but couldn't zoom due to the 1/30s limitation.
Get closer if possible so you can use a shorter zoom for less shake, then with practice you can easily handhold down to 1/8 of a second especially with image stabilization. If you don't believe me this is a 1/6 second handhold at a 80mm equivalent, no shake, no blur, all good.
I've tried it, believe me (I love low light shooting) - 1/30 is the lowest I can go without spraying and praying, 1/13 is the lowest I can go with my stabilized 17mm lens while having a chance of evena third of my shots in focus.
My hands aren't very steady :(. (Probably something's wrong with my posture or button pressing since my hands are fine in other endeavours, low hand-eye coordination aside).

I prefered a larger distance due to trying to play with the size of the area in focus (shooting right up close/Very close means you'll have less in focus even with the larger DOF provided by a wide angle in many cases).
I'll be shooting with a compact for most of the time from now on, and mainly in mornings on the way to study, so DOF (and anything in low light) is going to be much less relevant for me now :(.

In short, your hands are super strong and stable from squeezing your wife's.. bike. (handles). :P
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

The Grim Squeaker wrote:I've tried it, believe me (I love low light shooting) - 1/30 is the lowest I can go without spraying and praying, 1/13 is the lowest I can go with my stabilized 17mm lens while having a chance of evena third of my shots in focus.
My hands aren't very steady :(. (Probably something's wrong with my posture or button pressing since my hands are fine in other endeavours, low hand-eye coordination aside).
Some people will have steadier hands than others, but the key is practice and putting conscious thought into the whole procedure. The way you plant your feet, hold your camera, your stance, breathing, and a nice soft shutter squeeze, staying firm yet relaxed, you gotta think about it all and practice it. I had to relearn a few things when I went from a film SLR which I held against my face to a digital compact which is held in front of my face most of the time. The grip & shutter squeeze is a lot different.

And if you can, cheat. Lean against a tree, lightpole, fence, garbage can, or other sturdy object to help steady your hands. I was leaning my whole body and my camera arm against a wall for this picture, no tripod here. There's no way I could get it this sharp without bracing myself against something. This was a 2 second handheld shot, it took me a couple tries to get it right.

aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

aerius wrote:
The Grim Squeaker wrote:I've tried it, believe me (I love low light shooting) - 1/30 is the lowest I can go without spraying and praying, 1/13 is the lowest I can go with my stabilized 17mm lens while having a chance of evena third of my shots in focus.
Some people will have steadier hands than others, but the key is practice and putting conscious thought into the whole procedure. The way you plant your feet, hold your camera, your stance, breathing, and a nice soft shutter squeeze, staying firm yet relaxed, you gotta think about it all and practice it. I had to relearn a few things when I went from a film SLR which I held against my face to a digital compact which is held in front of my face most of the time. The grip & shutter squeeze is a lot different.
I hold the dslr right up to my face and lean it against my forehead-nose to help steady myself.
I used to have 1/50 as my lower limit :P (though that was with a lens with crappier IS).
And if you can, cheat. Lean against a tree, lightpole, fence, garbage can, or other sturdy object to help steady your hands. I was leaning my whole body and my camera arm against a wall for this picture, no tripod here. There's no way I could get it this sharp without bracing myself against something. This was a 2 second handheld shot, it took me a couple tries to get it right.
I prefer just placing the camera on a solid surface at an angle (the lens cap is good for this along with the strap). MUCH more stable.

I now have a camera (my dad's old sd950) at Uni. Turns out it has a macro (well, digital zoom crop more like it) feature. There goes the degree :).

"Be Happy!"
"Ready to work?"

IMG_0008
Silly consumer features :P
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
generator_g1
Jedi Master

Post by generator_g1 »

My share for the day.

Yellow Santan flower macro. :)

Luminous Orchids :)
My FLICKR page! :D
Remember, people, commas are your friends. Love them, embrace them, cherish them, and for crying out loud, USE them.
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

The yellow flowers macro is quite nice. (colourful, uses most of the frame, nice green background)
The white flowers just doesn't grab me/interest as much.
Photography
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

I prefer just placing the camera on a solid surface at an angle (the lens cap is good for this along with the strap). MUCH more stable.
It's why I now carry a small tripod.

Another trick: find the shot and if it's static, set the self-timer to two seconds. That way you only have to worry about keeping a steady hand.
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Bounty wrote:
It's why I now carry a small tripod.

Another trick: find the shot and if it's static, set the self-timer to two seconds. That way you only have to worry about keeping a steady hand.
I just can't make myself use the tripod. It's not my style. (and when i'm with other people, they don't use tripods either!)
Photography
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

There's a time and place for them. The time being "a lot", granted, but you take architecture shots and they are perfect for those if you can get a good angle.
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Bounty wrote:There's a time and place for them. The time being "a lot", granted, but you take architecture shots and they are perfect for those if you can get a good angle.
Failing that, a monopod wedged in one's belt can do wonders.
J
Kaye Elle Emenopey

Post by J »

A selection of fall colours. I aimed for a film like appearance with the photos with both the camera settings and editing.

This post is a 100% natural organic product.
The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects

I'm not sure why people choose 'To Love is to Bury' as their wedding song...It's about a murder-suicide
- Margo Timmins

When it becomes serious, you have to lie
- Jean-Claude Juncker
Simplicius
Jedi Council Member

Post by Simplicius »

Just tooling around, mostly.

Route One.

Barrel train.

Sardine carrier. Getting the old-fashioned look with the Zeiss. Looking at the roll I found inside, looks like it was last used in England (Great Britain at least) in the mid-late 1960s or early 1970s.
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

Where did you find that barrel train?
charlemagne
Jedi Knight

Post by charlemagne »

Simplicius wrote:Image

Barrel train.
That's an awesome photo. I love the light and colors.

And yeah, awesome barrel train :)
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

A compact camera and a laptop improve certain efficiencies. (I'd still prefer a camera with ANY manual controls. Even shutter priority! I'll never get my photocontest pic at this rate :( ).

Heatturret. There was something ever so vaguely surreal about it, jutting out on the concrete roof.

Some more macro experimentation. This is the only one that wasn't horridly generic/boring/greenish brown. (Great light).

The wall. Or is it a fence? A block of stone? A statue?
Photography
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Some Fortia SP madness (none really that good, but I think they show the film's unique qualities)

J
Kaye Elle Emenopey

Post by J »

The first picture you took of the sunset scene using Fortia SP this summer looks so much different than the last couple batches, was there something different you did with that photo or is it just the way the film responds to different colours? That one had crazy saturation and wild colours while the recent ones don't look nearly as over the top.
This post is a 100% natural organic product.
The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects

I'm not sure why people choose 'To Love is to Bury' as their wedding song...It's about a murder-suicide
- Margo Timmins

When it becomes serious, you have to lie
- Jean-Claude Juncker
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

J wrote:The first picture you took of the sunset scene using Fortia SP this summer looks so much different than the last couple batches, was there something different you did with that photo or is it just the way the film responds to different colours? That one had crazy saturation and wild colours while the recent ones don't look nearly as over the top.
It's color response is kind of weird - it is especially strong in red/magenta (rumour has it that this film was designed to photograph cherry blossoms). Also, by the time I hit downtown the skies were seriously overcast and probably putting a damper on the color. However, if you look below, there's a picture I posted earlier; the saturation is strong but not too too strong.

The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Phongn - the colours in those pics are interesting, there seems to be a much stronger Red/green response, and it's "Warmer" somehow. It's not as good as some of the other crazy films you used, but that's just my personal kink.
The last pic you just showed (lake+tree) is very nice, same or different film?
Photography
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Pictures from a costume party, unfortunately most of the good pics were of people who might not necessarily want their pics uploaded, so this is what was left. (I was Dr Who. Leather coat, Scarf, tie, trousers, shoes and all!) :

Indiana Jones? No one came as him :P.

Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy costume that I invented for a friend :D. (He was wearing a bathing robe under all that).

One more pic to round things up :).
Photography
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Re: SDN Photo-a-Day (Rules updates - read the OP)

A textbook case of how sometimes you only have a moment to take a shot - The compact was on the setting of 2MP (out of 14, though I usually only shoot at 5MP) and a cloudy WB.
I took the shot, saw the potential, but by the time I was done fiddling with menus and exposure, the sun had come out and blew up subsequent shots :(.

Biology Life:
Simple and peaceful. (Lots of glaze & haze though, I cleaned it up a bit in post production with Picasa via "Auto-contrast").

Stretch up as I might, I couldn't get rid of the trees. (And photoshopping didn't seem worth the time, as it doesn't detract much, just my sense of neatness).
Photography
Oberleutnant
Jedi Council Member

Post by Oberleutnant »

A friend of mine being very unhappy, for she was forced to stand still on a freezing Saturday evening. Jyväskylä, Finland.

View from the university campus. Jyväskylä, Finland.

Customer at a barber, enjoying a break and drinking his coffee on a balcony overlooking the street. Helsinki, Finland.
"Thousands of years ago cats were worshipped as gods. Cats have never forgotten this."
Pulp Hero
Jedi Master

Post by Pulp Hero »

Went to NYC, my favorite three photos:

I can never love you because I'm just thirty squirrels in a mansuit."

"Ah, good ol' Popeye. Punching ghosts until they explode."[/b]-Internet Webguy

"It was cut because an Army Ordnance panel determined that a weapon that kills an enemy soldier 10 times before he hits the ground was a waste of resources, so they scaled it back to only kill him 3 times."-Anon, on the cancellation of the Army's multi-kill vehicle.
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Oberleutnant - Really nice pics. Long exposure for the second pic?
The contrast and cleanliness of the colours in the BW barber pic is excellent. Post production or film?
Photography
Simplicius
Jedi Council Member

Post by Simplicius »

Still doing a lot of nature, at least on digital.

Surf, Owls Head. Look, Ma, I'm using masking!

Beech leaves, Montville

Tidal flat, Frankfort
Instant Sunrise
Jedi Knight
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Angeles del Río de Porciúncula

Post by Instant Sunrise »

@Pulp Hero. I really like that photo of Times Square in the fog.

The first two pics that you posted feel very busy and I don't really have a place to rest my eye. It also feels like the use of black and white there is working against the photo instead of with it. If I were to try and fix those photos I would have had them still be in color but bring the saturation down to play up the wet and rainy aspect of it a little more.

Your third one feels much better. It's less busy and I get a real sense of the scale of Times Square. With the other two, because you've pointed me directly across the street it feels like a much smaller space and it seems to lack depth.

------------

Anyway, here are some photos of the Orange Street Fair that I made a while ago but couldn't get around to posting.

-----------------

Also, on a procedural note, I've changed the rules in the OP.

I edited rule number 2 to clarify it: Basically, if you critique a photo, put some effort into your critique. I've been seeing a lot of low-effort critiques in here and I feel that they are doing more harm than good.

The other rule is at the end of the rules list and is self-explanatory.
Hi, I'm Liz.
SoS: NBA | GALE Force
Twitter
Tumblr