Coolest "wow futuristic!" scene you've ever seen

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Re: Coolest "wow futuristic!" scene you've ever seen

Post by Coyote »

The Colonial Marines from Aliens themseleves were not so impressive, but their ship, the Sulaco, and the stuff surrounding it, were, to me, very realistic and believable applications of technology. When Ripley used the personal lifter to load munitions; when they opened the belly of the Sulaco and the dropship just cascaded out superfast into the atmosphere for a rough insertion, I thought, I could see this really happening someday.

The city scenes in both 5th Element and the SW prequels were cool, too. If you're aware of what you're looking at, seeing the multi-ton Senatorial cruiser land on that anti-grav platform, and having the anti-grav platform not even nudge, was pretty awesome to think about the tech involved.
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Oh, fuck, Sunshine. That was one very awesome audiovisual experience.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

The grand reveal of the Executor from The Empire Strikes Back. The volcano lair from You Only Live Twice and Atlantis from The Spy Who Loved Me. ED-209 stomping into the conference room. The USS Excelsior.
'Alright guard, begin the unnecessarily slow moving dipping mechanism...' - Dr. Evil

'Secondly, I don't see why "income inequality" is a bad thing. Poverty is not an injustice. There is no such thing as causes for poverty, only causes for wealth. Poverty is not a wrong, but taking money from those who have it to equalize incomes is basically theft, which is wrong.' - Typical Randroid

'I think it's gone a little bit wrong.' - The Doctor
paladin
Jedi Master

Post by paladin »

Arthur_Tuxedo wrote:When they're wandering around inside the giant supermachine complex in Forbidden Planet. I still don't know how they captured those shots with 1956 movie technology.
I think they used matte paintings for the scene.
"Single-minded persistence in the face of futility is what humanity does best." Tim Ferguson
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

The iPhone.

No, seriously, I'm not joking. Remember, when I was born NASA engineers were still using slide rules. Hell, even my relatively low-tech flip-phone (beam me up, Scotty!) with more computer power than the Apollo spaceships would qualify. The thing isn't just a phone, it's got a calculator, calendar, phone book, and a bunch of shit I've never bothered to use. Every time I see a modern, state of the art phone/communication device I think "Holy fuck! I'm living in a science fiction novel!"
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
andrewgpaul
Jedi Council Member

Post by andrewgpaul »

True; That scene at the beginning of Minority Report, with Tom Cruise using that fancy touch screen thingy isn't that far off, it seems.
"So you want to live on a planet?"
"No. I think I'd find it a bit small and wierd."
"Aren't they dangerous? Don't they get hit by stuff?"
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

To go along Broomstick's bit:
Perceptive Pixel's multi-touch. When I saw that, I thought: "Now, that is the next step in user interfaces: intuitive, realistic and elegant. Holograms and neural links are pretty much just ideas, but this: this is amazing." I first saw it on TED and later heard that the creator made his own company.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

Zixinus wrote:To go along Broomstick's bit:
Perceptive Pixel's multi-touch. When I saw that, I thought: "Now, that is the next step in user interfaces: intuitive, realistic and elegant. Holograms and neural links are pretty much just ideas, but this: this is amazing." I first saw it on TED and later heard that the creator made his own company.
Holy hell, thats awesome. I had to watch that three times just to get my jaw off my desk.

As for my favorite "futuristic" moments, I have to say it's whenever I see an Omega class Cruiser from Babylon 5 in action. I just love the entire idea and aesthetic behind the whole design.
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
Sam Or I
Jedi Council Member

Post by Sam Or I »

Blade Runner for me still tops the list.

The post-apocalyptic vision in the Road Warrior. Many times, and still copied. Just the practical use of forgotten present day technology.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Back to the Future II. When Marty first steps out of the alleyway into the Hill Valley town centre. Cars are flying, there's holograms, and people just looked different.

Since I first saw that scene I was enamoured with ideas of the future and what awesome shit science could do.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Littlefoot
Youngling

Post by Littlefoot »

Shroom Man 777 wrote: ....but because they looked rough and rigid and hard and like something a modern-day Marine might use to waste some motherfucker through the proper application of killfuck.
Best line ever Shroom.

Some "wow Futeristic" moment for me:

The Mos Eisly (spelling?) Spaceport, pre-Special Edition. I think of that as what a colony on some backwater world should and probably will look like.

The T1 and T2 war scenes. As was said earlier they did convay a real sence of not impending doom, but that Doom had just breached the door and was kicking your ass seven ways from sunday.

The fleet action in Starship Troopers where the Roger Young goes up in flames. The detail in those shots was incredible.
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

Minority Report is pretty sweet as far as future stuff goes, as is the Fifth Element and the Axiom. However, i am going to have to give an honorable mention to a good deal of stuff in Planetes for giving the impression of what the future in space could very well be.

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

Most of Event Horizon. Apart from few movies really capturing the more horrifying side of sci-fi (and I'm not necessarily talking about the demon-from-hell aspect; rather the relatively mundane horrors of hard vacuum, deep space, and wondering if you've managed to salvage enough CO2 scrubbers), it had some great visuals to go along with it. Searching the Event Horizon, patching the outer hull of the rescue ship, and the drive core of the Event Horizon herself.
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

The first reveal of a star destroyer, ever, something that scale just freaking blows the mind for a moment. Another bit would be 2001 where the pan-am shuttle docks, and of course Blade Runner....

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

The Cityscape of Fifth Element, and the massive battle over Coruscant in the beginning of AOTC(I do not lie when me and my wife went through repeatedly pausing, checking out the ships).

Honorable Mention: Final Check and Launch of the Kushan Mothership.

"The Mothership has cleared the Scaffold. I repeat, we have cleared the Scaffold. We are away."
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
Kingmaker
Jedi Knight

Post by Kingmaker »

I agree with the Battle of Coruscant in ROTS. In retrospect, it didn't make a whole lot of sense (why are kilometer space ships trading broadsides?), but seeing it for the first time was awesome.

And I know it might be kind of lame, but the Starcraft II trailer, with Tychus Findlay getting armored up.
In the event that the content of the above post is factually or logically flawed, I was Trolling All Along.

"Essentially, all models are wrong, but some are useful." - George Box
Slacker
Jedi Knight

Post by Slacker »

I have to echo Fifth Element, but for a slightly different scene-what does it for me is the scene where the shuttle's leaving Future JFK and is taking off over Manhattan/Brooklyn. The distinctly different visual, with the Statue of Liberty still there as a bit of a reminder of what was, really does it for me. Especially with the city obviously extending out into the river and going even into the Atlantic. It's such a stunning contrast from the cityscape I see on a regular basis visiting my in-laws, and even before that growing up and going into the City on a regular basis.

Pretty sure the Verrazano got melted down to make the "Welcome to New York" sign that's flashing on the southern edge of the city. :lol:
"I'm sorry, you seem to be under the mistaken impression that your inability to use the brain evolution granted you is any of my fucking concern."
"You. Stupid. Shit." Victor desperately wished he knew enough Japanese to curse properly. "Davions take alot of killing." -Grave Covenant
Founder of the Cult of Weber
andrewgpaul
Jedi Council Member

Post by andrewgpaul »

Nitram's mention of the Mothership from Homeworld reminds me - one thing that always makes me go "cool!" is big, heavy things floating - Venator-class Star Destroyers leaving Coruscant, or the alien ships appearing in Independence Day or the "prawn" ship in District 9. It just shows a civilisation that's sufficiently advanced to give the laws of physics a big "fuck you". :)
"So you want to live on a planet?"
"No. I think I'd find it a bit small and wierd."
"Aren't they dangerous? Don't they get hit by stuff?"