Clone Wars season 2

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Old Plympto
Jedi Master

Re: Clone Wars season 2

Post by Old Plympto »

When the Clone Wars series began, there had been no stories about Anakin and Obi-Wan for about 18 months in the Republic comic series from the Battle of Zaadja to the Battle of Rendili, where we see the clones in Phase II armor for the first time in the comics. There is only one issue in the interim with Aayla Secura and Bly on Honoghr. They can easily fit the ongoing series into that pocket.

Whether this is a jump back in time, we have no clear suggestion of that. We've seen Anakin operating without Obi-Wan and Ahsoka before last season ("Hostage Crisis"). I would guess if there's no definite hint of that (i.e. "The Hidden Enemy" leads to the Battle of Christophsis and Rotta's abduction in the movie) we can consider it be set after the previous episode.

Until an official chronology is released, that is.
Old Plympto
Jedi Master

Post by Old Plympto »

I just checked the Battles chronology on Wookieepedia again after a long time. It seems that Zaadja and Rendili is now placed closer at 12 months apart. And someone's listed the entire Clone Wars series a whole year before Zaadja. Plus now according to the new list, the entire series run so far's taken place in just two months from "The Hidden Enemy" to "Senate Spy".

Really? Is it possible to account for the planning and execution for everything we've seen in the series within two months?

Gah! Now, I can't wait for an official chronology.
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

Just want to let anyone following the series know, for some reason CN is showing the next episode of Clone Wars on Wednesday this week for some reason.
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Darksider wrote:Just want to let anyone following the series know, for some reason CN is showing the next episode of Clone Wars on Wednesday this week for some reason.
Probably so they can fit in all of their halloween themed programming.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

Just another update for anyone who didn't pay attention and missed the episode on Wednesday. They're showing it again tonight. Apparently Wednesday was an advance showing or something.

No, I don't know why.
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

Holy Shit! Filoni wasn't kidding when he said this episode would make up for the last one's lack of action. Jesus.

This episode was great, although Anakin and Asokha's killcount competition got old real fast.

Bit of technical info, apparently the Droideka's shields work like the gungan theater shield. Anakin and Rex are able to move through them and attack the Droidekas inside. Obviously, most people wouldn't get a chance to do that with a Destroyer Droid spewing blaster fire at them, but it was rather surprising.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

We already knew that from the movies - Destroyer droids push their guns through their own shields to fire. And last season, Ashoka sticks her lightsabre through the shield, then turns it on, to destroy one.

Still haven't seen the episode. It's aired twice this week, and no bastard's capped it.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Just saw the episode. Holy fuck was it awesome. 21 minutes of non-stop asskicking, LAAT/i's, AT-TEs, Jedi feats, huge explosions, Geonosian fighters, Clones with flamethrowers, shitloads of blaster bolts, it had it all.
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

Just a quick thought, Can anyone grab a screencap of the AT-TE's guns blasting down the geonosian gun positions? IIRC one of the last shots knocks down a pretty sizable rock spire. Could be nice for gauging firepower.
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Yeah, watched the 'making of the episode' bit Vympel linked to earlier and then the show. Longest Day indeed, up to and including the Geonosian on the heavy repeating blaster just nailing the Clone positions at the Wall. It was well done.

On the flip side, I wish they'd ditch the self contained 30 minute episodes and do more two to three episode story arcs that don't necessarily wrap up in the episode.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Kane Starkiller
Jedi Council Member

Post by Kane Starkiller »

What's up with capital ships sitting in the atmosphere uselessly? Couldn't they, I don't know, take their sweet time to break up Geonosian ground defenses before landing? Maybe take down that wall everyone was talking about since before the start?
And if a running clone can pass through the shield why not a megaton level turbolaser bolt which will have 10,000 times greater momentum? Or maybe the Venators simply don't have the firepower? This episode certainly casts doubt.
I mean I get it, it's a kids show but really they could've shown the ships doing some damage and helping the invasion force.
But if the forces of evil should rise again, to cast a shadow on the heart of the city.
Call me. -Batman
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Kane Starkiller wrote:What's up with capital ships sitting in the atmosphere uselessly? Couldn't they, I don't know, take their sweet time to break up Geonosian ground defenses before landing? Maybe take down that wall everyone was talking about since before the start?
They excused that with the throw away line of 'We're doing a planet wide invasion.' in that they couldn't spare more fighters or presumably naval fire support for that. However, I agree, they could have at least shown some prepping of the surface, though I guess you could say they wanted the factories in tact and/or other infrastructure.
And if a running clone can pass through the shield why not a megaton level turbolaser bolt which will have 10,000 times greater momentum?
They said specifically that it was Ray Shielded, which means blasters can't penetrate while the shield is up, or at least according to SW lore. Physical objects are supposed to be able to penetrate, though the question of what will happen to a naked person going through one seems to be in doubt. A armored clone trooper should be able to run through one no problem. That said, I suppose they are more or less attributing it to a Hoth-like shield for that particular part of Genonosis.
Or maybe the Venators simply don't have the firepower? This episode certainly casts doubt.
Again, I attribute it to a Hoth-like shield. Sure the Venstar's could have blasted the ground between targets, and perhaps they should have, or put down fire on the shield causing the Separatists to expend energy and attention on it but...
I mean I get it, it's a kids show but really they could've shown the ships doing some damage and helping the invasion force.
Agreed, but it was a minor concern for me.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

I haven't seen a single episode this season. I really need to stop missing them.

Anyway, I am curious as to weather they gave any numbers for how many soldiers were involved in this attack. I remember commenting back during the Ryloth arc that the three-Acclamator invasion force they showed was rather small for a planetary attack (48,000 troops). Was wondering how many ships they showed, how many troops can be inferred, etc.
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

The Romulan Republic wrote:I haven't seen a single episode this season. I really need to stop missing them.

Anyway, I am curious as to weather they gave any numbers for how many soldiers were involved in this attack. I remember commenting back during the Ryloth arc that the three-Acclamator invasion force they showed was rather small for a planetary attack (48,000 troops). Was wondering how many ships they showed, how many troops can be inferred, etc.

I didn't count but they showed a whole sky full of Venstars and Acclamators, so it was more than Ryloth.

Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

And if a running clone can pass through the shield why not a megaton level turbolaser bolt which will have 10,000 times greater momentum?
Uhhhh what? By the same reasoning, the Trade Federation should've easily gotten through the shield in TPM. Shields do not work that way.
I really don't care. It was lampshaded and dealt with in a throw-away line.
TC Pilot
Jedi Council Member

Post by TC Pilot »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Anyway, I am curious as to weather they gave any numbers for how many soldiers were involved in this attack. I remember commenting back during the Ryloth arc that the three-Acclamator invasion force they showed was rather small for a planetary attack (48,000 troops). Was wondering how many ships they showed, how many troops can be inferred, etc.
IIRC, I counted 4 Venators and 6 Acclamators. That means roughly 104,000 clones on the ground, 33,800 for crew. They seem to have avoided numbers, though. When Ki-Adi Mundi asks how many casualties they suffered, his clone commander only says they were heavy.
"He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot, but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."

"Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero."
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

The Romulan Republic wrote:I haven't seen a single episode this season. I really need to stop missing them.

Just watched it again. When the Republic fleet comes out of hyperspace at the start of the episode, I count six Venators and seven Acclamators.

TC Pilot
Jedi Council Member

Post by TC Pilot »

Actually, it's 6 Venators and 8 Acclamators
"He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot, but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."

Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

The new one tonight was not nearly as good. I mean, can't do a frontal assault because casualties will be too high, so you do a sneaky thing. Only problem with that is that to work you need to distract them with a frontal assault.

SylasGaunt
Sith Acolyte

Post by SylasGaunt »

True but there's a difference between a frontal assault that's being launched as a diversionary attack (which is basically there to look scary and make a lot of noise) and a frontal attack that you have to actually push forward into the stronghold. You're probably going to take far fewer casualties with the fake attack for one unless something goes horribly wrong.
TC Pilot
Jedi Council Member

Post by TC Pilot »

So let's see, the Seperatists' brand-new tanks that are apparently impervious to any conventional Republic ground weaponry.... is sliced open by a lightsaber in seconds? And where did Obi-Wan and Ki-Adi Mundi run off to?

I did like Anakin's frantic rescue attempt, foreshadowing his utter desperation to prevent Padme's death in ROTS.

Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

I think the cowl that retracts and reveals those projectile launchers at the top is a weak point?

Funny commentary
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

TC Pilot wrote:And where did Obi-Wan and Ki-Adi Mundi run off to?
They were injured last episode and boarded a transport, with Anakin and Obi-wan saying goodbye. So I presume they're off at a medical ship/station somewhere.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

RogueIce wrote:
TC Pilot wrote:And where did Obi-Wan and Ki-Adi Mundi run off to?
They were injured last episode and boarded a transport, with Anakin and Obi-wan saying goodbye. So I presume they're off at a medical ship/station somewhere.

Complete with a throw away line by Anakin saying, "I should have this droid factory destroyed by the time you get back Master." Or something close to that.

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

I saw the new episode last night, and was wondering what people thought of the depiction of a Geonosian "Queen" analagous to a Queen bee or ant. Also, Spoiler
zombie Geonosians.
I was disappointed though, especially in that I felt Kenobi came off as a bit of a dick in this episode.