Netherlands To Tax Drivers By the Kilometer

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

[R_H]
Sith Devotee

Netherlands To Tax Drivers By the Kilometer

Post by [R_H] »

Wired
The Dutch government wants to abolish ownership and sales taxes on automobiles and instead levy a fee on every kilometer driven. The Transport Ministry says the move will cut congestion in half and curb carbon dioxide emissions by 10 percent.

Motorists driving a typical sedan would pay 3 Euro cents per kilometer, or about 7 U.S. cents per mile, under the law, which if passed would take effect in 2012. The tax would climb to 6.7 Euro cents (16 U.S. cents) in 2018.

“Each vehicle will be equipped with a GPS device that tracks how many kilometres are driven and when and where. This data will be then be sent to a collection agency that will send out the bill,” the ministry said in a statement, according to AFP.

The tax would vary by the type and weight of automobile. Buses, taxis, vehicles owned by the disabled and motorcycles would be exempted.

The Dutch cabinet approved the legislation Friday; it must be passed by Parliament before becoming law. Finance Minister Wouter Bos calls the proposal financially irresponsible. According to Radio Netherlands / Expatia, he fears that national budget could take a big hit because people might be less inclined to drive.

Advocates of the tax say nearly six in 10 drivers will benefit because the tax burden will be shifted to people who drive the most and at peak times. The price of a new car also would decrease significantly, because taxes comprise about 25 percent of the sticker price.
Yahoo News
AMSTERDAM – The Dutch government plans to bring the polluter-pays principle into the home garage.

Rather than an annual road tax for their cars, drivers will soon pay a few cents for every kilometer (mile) on the road, in a plan aimed at breaking chronic traffic jams and cutting carbon emissions, the Cabinet decided Friday.

The GPS monitoring system could be a test case for other countries weighing options for easing crowded roads. Some cities like London have created congestion charges to control traffic in downtown areas, but only Singapore has a similar scheme for charging according to the amount of travel.

When the plan takes effect in 2012, new car prices will drop as much as 25 percent with the abolition of a purchase tax and the road tax, which now totals more than euro600 ($900) per year for a mid-sized car.

Instead, an average passenger car will pay euro0.03 per 1 kilometer ($0.07 per mile), with higher charges levied during rush hour and for traveling on congested roads. Trucks, commercial vehicles and bigger cars emitting more carbon dioxide will be assessed at a higher rate, the Transport Ministry said.

The GPS devices installed in cars will track the time, hour and place each car moves and send the data to a billing agency.

The Netherlands — and especially the coastal area encompassing the cities of Amsterdam, The Hague and Utrecht — has one of the most burdened road networks in Europe, with traffic jams likely at dozens of places virtually throughout the day. Hourly broadcasts report where the traffic is snarled, but often few alternatives exist to escape the highways.

The ministry said the new GPS monitoring system would discourage drivers from clogging the highways during peak hours, and in some cases, from driving at all. It estimated traffic would drop 15 percent and rush-hour congestion would be halved when drivers begin getting regular bills.

With less traffic and perhaps fewer stressed drivers, fatal accidents should fall 7 percent, and carbon emissions from road travel would be cut by 10 percent, the ministry said.

The tax will ratchet up every year until 2018 and could be adjusted if it fails to change traffic patterns.

Opponents were concerned the system will be a heavy burden on business drivers and could cost the government more than euro1 billion ($1.5 billion) a year in tax income.

But the government figured nearly six out of 10 drivers would benefit while tax revenue would remain the same. Public transportation, including taxis, will be exempt.

"The goal is a different manner of paying for mobility that is more fair. Not paying more, but paying differently, with a positive income effect for most households," Traffic Minister Camiel Eurlings said Friday.

The kilometer tax has been debated for 20 years, raising other concerns that it would intrude on privacy.

The ministry said, however, the information collected by GPS would be "legally and technically protected," and the data would not be accessible to the government for other purposes. "The privacy of road users is protected," it said.
I'm surprised they'll abolish the taxes on purchasing and owning a vehicle. Fuel is still taxed, right?
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Re: Netherlands To Tax Drivers By the Kilometer

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

Oh wow. Someone actually beat the Singapore Government to the use of GPS to tax the use of roads.

That's quite an achievement.
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

That's actually a fascinating idea. Granted, I don't see it happening here, though I'd think I'd like it. It is clear to me that not much will stop the car culture and utter sprawl of our urban cities until the death of car culture; not that I think we need to get rid of cars, rather just culture. I could see a progressive tax depending on type of car driven as well, less for small economical cars and a shit ton more for big SUV's.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

So rather than impose a beefy fuel tax, which effectively taxes distance driven while ALSO encouraging fuel-efficient cars, they impose a distance-tax directly. Seems...unwise and redundant.
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

The utterly retarded thing is that it would be basically cheaper than the current tax structure on cars in the USA--for big, fat, road-hogging, gas-guzzling SUVs.

7 cents a mile at, say, 20,000 miles of driving in one year is $1,400.00.

Now, $50.00 license and registration fee yearly + 10% sales tax on a vehicle worth $25,000.00, divided over a 10 year average service life is $250.00 a year, and then we have the gas tax, which in Washington State is at 50 cents per gallon. My car gets about 40mpg, so... another $250.00 a year in taxes. So someone with a small and efficient car normally pays $550.00 a year in tax, and would now pay $1,400.00 -- nearly three times as much. Someone with a gas-guzzling Ford Excursion that gets 12 mpg on the highway, however, would have already been paying... Twice as much in initial purchase price tax (50k is a reasonable price for a loaded V-10 Ford Excursion), double the license and registration fee for a large vehicle (trucks cost more to register in Washington), but most importantly the gas tax they pay would go up hugely, from $250.00 a year to $833.33 a year. Add in $500.00 per year equivalent in purchase price sales tax, and $100.00 a year in vehicle license and registration, and this person is paying $1,433.33 a year in taxes already.

Whereas under the Dutch scheme they would pay only $1,400.00 a year in taxes.

So, that's right--this tax literally punishes people driving fuel efficient cars and rewards people driving massive gas-guzzlers.

That is more than sufficient demonstration of how utterly, almost impossibly retarded this policy actually is.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

So, that's right--this tax literally punishes people driving fuel efficient cars and rewards people driving massive gas-guzzlers.
Note that gas a lot more expensive in Europe. Gas guzzlers are a lot less popular here anyway, and fuel efficiency is the main selling point in new vehicles.
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Bounty wrote:
Note that gas a lot more expensive in Europe. Gas guzzlers are a lot less popular here anyway, and fuel efficiency is the main selling point in new vehicles.
Yes, but a lot of that expense is taxation, which will be eliminated here, if I understand the article correctly.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

Taxes on ownership and sales will be abolished, not tax on fuel. That will still scale with usage. Also:
The tax would vary by the type and weight of automobile.
[R_H]
Sith Devotee

Post by [R_H] »

White Haven wrote:So rather than impose a beefy fuel tax, which effectively taxes distance driven while ALSO encouraging fuel-efficient cars, they impose a distance-tax directly. Seems...unwise and redundant.
No, the fuel tax is still in place, if I'm not mistaken. The road and purchase tax are replaced by the distance tax (cost per kilometer being dependant on how much the vehicle pollutes). Why not implement tolls where the roads are overburdened and invest more money in public transit. I wonder how hybrid and electric vehicles will be treated under this tax scheme.
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

Why not implement tolls where the roads are overburdened and invest more money in public transit.
It basically is a road toll, it just automates payment and spreads the cost.
I wonder how hybrid and electric vehicles will be treated under this tax scheme.
Less or not at all, I'd imagine, as the tax is calculated on carbon emissions.
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Okay, that makes a lot more sense. And I guess that means for a small (subcompact, by American standards) two-door coupe like the one I drive the fuel tax per kilometer might actually be lower than that quoted for a sedan.

Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

The Duchess of Zeon wrote:Okay, that makes a lot more sense. And I guess that means for a small (subcompact, by American standards) two-door coupe like the one I drive the fuel tax per kilometer might actually be lower than that quoted for a sedan.
Nono - the fuel tax is added to fuel prices; you just pay more per litre at the pump. This road tax is separate from that.

Basically, in the past the amount of tax at you paid was calculated on the size and economy of your vehicle, and you paid extra tax per litre of fuel used. Now your tax is calculated based on a combination of its efficiency and the number of miles driver, but you still pay the same tax on fuel.
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Bounty wrote:
Nono - the fuel tax is added to fuel prices; you just pay more per litre at the pump. This road tax is separate from that.

Basically, in the past the amount of tax at you paid was calculated on the size and economy of your vehicle, and you paid extra tax per litre of fuel used. Now your tax is calculated based on a combination of its efficiency and the number of miles driver, but you still pay the same tax on fuel.
I meant " tax per kilometre" , that was just a blonde moment. Yeah, I get how it works now, though my point is still the same, I think, that the tax per kilometre should be lower for a small car?

Atlan
Jedi Knight

Post by Atlan »

The Duchess of Zeon wrote:
Bounty wrote:

I meant " tax per kilometre" , that was just a blonde moment. Yeah, I get how it works now, though my point is still the same, I think, that the tax per kilometre should be lower for a small car?
Yes.
Tax per litre of fuel stays the same.
Tax per kilometre is dependant on how clean/efficient your car is, but NOT on it's size, as in the previous tax.
The smaller and cleaner your car, the less you pay.
Obviously newer models will also pay less, because cars tend to become cleaner as far as carbon emissions go.
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects."
R.A. Heinlein.
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

Why do they bother with GPS systems, rather than just using odometer readings when people go in for smog checks? The GPS idea seems needlessly expensive to implement, to me.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Master of Ossus wrote:Why do they bother with GPS systems, rather than just using odometer readings when people go in for smog checks? The GPS idea seems needlessly expensive to implement, to me.
I remember in the 90s a lot of truck drivers freaking out their odos to get around laws regarding maximum driving times and distances (because xyz was set as a safe level but employers still forced drivers to meet deadlines that required them to exceed these limits), so perhaps odometer readings aren't considered reliable?
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

Isn't it illegal to tamper with the odometers? Though a lot of penny pinching companies wouldn't really care, considering the peanuts that white collar criminals get punished with.
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

Master of Ossus wrote:Why do they bother with GPS systems, rather than just using odometer readings when people go in for smog checks? The GPS idea seems needlessly expensive to implement, to me.
Another thing to remember is that this system doesn't just register how many kilometers you drive, but also where and at what time. If you drive X kilometers across a jam-prone road at a particularly busy time of the day, you pay more than when you drive the same number of kilometers across a road in the middle of nowhere in the depth of night. An odometer wouldn't register this difference. The system is supposed to stop the busiest parts of the highway system from jamming up completely. It's a good idea at least, I'm eager to see if it'll work.
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

The Duchess of Zeon wrote: So, that's right--this tax literally punishes people driving fuel efficient cars and rewards people driving massive gas-guzzlers.
Did you miss this?
with higher charges levied during rush hour and for traveling on congested roads. Trucks, commercial vehicles and bigger cars emitting more carbon dioxide will be assessed at a higher rate, the Transport Ministry said.
Looks like small, efficient, and clean cars will be taxed at a lower rate than gas-guzzlers.

Between that and exempting buses, taxis, and motorcycles this tax does seem designed to encourage mass transit, doesn't punish taxi drivers which actually reduce congestion in urban areas (as instead of needing to park a car people just use the taxi), and exempts the most high-mileage of vehicles.

I also like that the cars of the disabled are exempt, as the disabled have fewer alternatives for getting around.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
[R_H]
Sith Devotee

Post by [R_H] »

Atlan wrote:[
Tax per litre of fuel stays the same.
Tax per kilometre is dependant on how clean/efficient your car is, but NOT on it's size, as in the previous tax.
The smaller and cleaner your car, the less you pay.
Obviously newer models will also pay less, because cars tend to become cleaner as far as carbon emissions go.
Is the tax per kilometer also dependant on the physical dimensions of a vehicle? If one of the motivations is to reduce congestion on certain roads, then all vehicles should be taxed (because they all contribute to congestion, to varying degrees), even motorcycles, hybrids, electric vehicles and those being used by the disabled.
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

Motorcycles won't pay the new tax, because installing the GPS-transmitter is supposedly too much of a hassle on bikes. They will continue to pay the old vehicle tax. Classic cars (built before 1987) are completely exempt from the taxes. The kilometer tax itself will be calculated on basis of fuel type and CO2 emissions (diesel engines without a particulate filter pay more). Presumably this means hybrid cars will pay taxes, just less. Electric vehicles might not, but they're a non-factor anyway and will most likely remain that way for years to come.
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

White Haven wrote:So rather than impose a beefy fuel tax, which effectively taxes distance driven while ALSO encouraging fuel-efficient cars, they impose a distance-tax directly. Seems...unwise and redundant.
Not to get picky this just seemed the best starting point for my statement which is that use of the road IN AND OF ITSELF is much more of a determinant of harm to both fellow drivers and the environment. That is a decrease of 10% in VMT versus an increase in 10% of MPG will favor the decrease in VMT (Vehicle Miles Traveled for those who have never seen the acronym).

The reason is rather simple, by driving a car regardless of size and composition occupies space and time within the road network which is in limited supply particularly in peak periods. In turn this creates congestion which slows traffic, leads to idling and longer durations of running engines at less than peak capacity even before one considers the financial cost of congestion (The DC region alone lost something like $19 Billion just in lost productivity due to congestion). This is also without going to deep in to the fact that road maintenance is based more on total number of vehicles traveled (and thus reflected in VMT) so more efficient vehicles taxed based on fuel alone will contribute less for repairs but still cause just as much wear.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
[R_H]
Sith Devotee

Post by [R_H] »

Siege wrote:Motorcycles won't pay the new tax, because installing the GPS-transmitter is supposedly too much of a hassle on bikes. They will continue to pay the old vehicle tax. Classic cars (built before 1987) are completely exempt from the taxes. The kilometer tax itself will be calculated on basis of fuel type and CO2 emissions (diesel engines without a particulate filter pay more). Presumably this means hybrid cars will pay taxes, just less. Electric vehicles might not, but they're a non-factor anyway and will most likely remain that way for years to come.
What about using RFID-transmitters for the motorcycles? Why are classic/older and electric cars exempt from the taxes? They still contribute to congestion, even if there aren't many of them relative to other vehicles on the roads. I'm still trying to wrap my head around the proposal's use of GPS-transmitters instead of something more conventional and wide spread like RFID or DRSC.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

They contribute to congestion, but in small enough numbers that the aggregate effect of the tax on them isn't enough to matter? Remember that what's really going on here is a change in how taxes are levied. Neither the actual goal nor the approximate cost of the tax is changing much, as I understand it. If it's not practical to levy the tax that way on a certain small fraction of the population, there's nothing wrong with the old style, and you still get, say, 95 to 99% of the desired effect.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov