Does anyone find Clone Wars too minimalistic?

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Rommie2006
Padawan Learner

Does anyone find Clone Wars too minimalistic?

Post by Rommie2006 »

While I do enjoy the ongoing Clone Wars series, I do find their depiction of the Clone Wars too minimalistic. Fleet engagements usually encompass about half a dozen or so ships on each side. That's pathetic. There was one episode where 3 Venators was all the Outer Rim command (or whatever) could spare. WTF?!?!

In the recent episode with the "major invasion" on Geneosis, I counted a little over a dozen ships. How is sending a dozen ships sufficient for a "major invasion"? Doesn't the SW verse have at least a dozen Star Destroyers as garrison forces for unimportant puny planets? I would think that a typical engagement should include dozens of ships, and full scale assault should numbers at least in the four digits.

This is no damn Rebel Alliance. Confederacy and Republic should have ramped up number of ships, especially considering that they have been at war for some time in the depiction of the Clone Wars series. Hasn't it already been determined that conservatively there are 20,000 ISDs in the Galactic Empire (not counting smaller support shops). That was during a relatively "peaceful" reign of Palpatine where the only nuisance was the Rebel Alliance. In war, there should have much more ships in service! The Old Republic should have at least as many ships the Empire have.

Let's not get started on ground combat. Based on visual evidence, the recent "major invasion" would have at most 30 tanks (about 10 from each Jedi general) assuming nobody got shot down. Even the United States sends more tanks to invade Iraq!
DarkAscendant
Redshirt

Re: Does anyone find Clone Wars too minimalistic?

Post by DarkAscendant »

I have a strange feeling that the intended audience couldn't give a damn about this "minimalism" and neither do the people making it.
Anguirus
Sith Marauder

Post by Anguirus »

How is sending a dozen ships sufficient for a "major invasion"?
How many did you count invading the same planet in AotC?

How many Star Destroyers were dispatched in RotS to fight off entrenched Seperatists on Utapau and Kashyyyk? I counted one at Kashyyyk, maybe three at Utapau?

The Republic barely had a fleet before AotC. There are lots of ships but also LOTS of worlds that they are fighting on. Outer Rim Command only able to spare three ships huh? How many do you figure they NEED for day-to-day operations? The Outer Rim ain't small.

I haven't seen much of this show and maybe I'm talking out of my ass, but nothing you describe seems out of line from the way we see the Republic fighting the war in the films.
"I spit on metaphysics, sir."

"I pity the woman you marry." -Liberty

This is the guy they want to use to win over "young people?" Are they completely daft? I'd rather vote for a pile of shit than a Jesus freak social regressive.
Here's hoping that his political career goes down in flames and, hopefully, a hilarious gay sex scandal.
-Tanasinn
You can't expect sodomy to ruin every conservative politician in this country. -Battlehymn Republic
My blog, please check out and comment! http://decepticylon.blogspot.com
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

It bothers me somewhat, but its simple to remember that the war is being fought over the galaxy. Multiply the fights you see by who knows how many thousand for how many forces they have in action at any one time. Also just because say at Geonosis you see a dozen ships doesn't mean they're the only ships in the system.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Kane Starkiller
Jedi Council Member

Post by Kane Starkiller »

I have no problem with how many ships they have but that they don't use them. It seems that lately beginning even with AOTC the starships become more of an irrelevant scenery and it's all about Jedi running with their lightsabers in front of dense Clonetrooper formations straight for a dense battledroid formation. Almost as if authors (perhaps even Lucas) wish they could change the setting to fantasy and be done with all the inconvenient space and air support that sci-fi setting provides.
But if the forces of evil should rise again, to cast a shadow on the heart of the city.
Call me. -Batman
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

I'll defend it on the current Geonosis arch; you are following in the show only one part of a global invasion. Anakin and company are assaulting the main complex/factory on the planet while other forces are attacking other parts of the planet. They made comment to that a couple times, most prominently when Anakin wanted air support and the Admiral dude wouldn't or couldn't give it telling him he was coordinating a global invasion and not just his attack.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

Kane Starkiller wrote:I have no problem with how many ships they have but that they don't use them. It seems that lately beginning even with AOTC the starships become more of an irrelevant scenery and it's all about Jedi running with their lightsabers in front of dense Clonetrooper formations straight for a dense battledroid formation. Almost as if authors (perhaps even Lucas) wish they could change the setting to fantasy and be done with all the inconvenient space and air support that sci-fi setting provides.
Um...you DID see the figth in the Arena, did you? You noticed that Count Dooku would be dead if the gunship had any missiles left? You noticed that most of the Battle of Geonosis was fought by the clones?
And you did see the major fleet battle in RotS?

I think that it is nice to see some ground combat for a change - way to rare for Sci-Fi.
SoS:NBA GALE Force
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The world owes you nothing but painful lessons" - CaptainChewbacca
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Divine Administration - of Gods and Bureaucracy (Worm/Exalted)
Kane Starkiller
Jedi Council Member

Post by Kane Starkiller »

As I said: scenery. First there was no spacebattle in orbit of Geonosis, it would've been nice to actually see Acclamators and Trade Federation ships duking it out. Whoops our gunships have no missiles so we're useless-time for a lightsaber fight, Acclamators will just hang in the back doing jack shit while Mace Windu runs across a gigantic fucking field twirling his purple lightsaber deflecting enemy blaster bolts thus turning the tide of the battle by saving those few clonetroopers behind him. AWESOME!
A big-ass battle at the beginning of ROTS but nothing really happens, just ships exchanging fire in the background-Jedi board the ship and there goes more lightsaber twirling.
But if the forces of evil should rise again, to cast a shadow on the heart of the city.
Call me. -Batman
open_sketchbook
Jedi Master

Post by open_sketchbook »

You realize, of course, that Star Wars really IS just fantasy in space, right? Lucas never, ever gave a shit about technical, strategic or scientific accuracy; he set out to make a fairy tale IN SPACE and that's exactly what he made.
1980s Rock is to music what Giant Robot shows are to anime
Think about it.

Cruising low in my N-1 blasting phat beats,
showin' off my chrome on them Coruscant streets
Got my 'saber on my belt and my gat by side,
this here yellow plane makes for a sick ride
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Rommie2006 wrote:While I do enjoy the ongoing Clone Wars series, I do find their depiction of the Clone Wars too minimalistic. Fleet engagements usually encompass about half a dozen or so ships on each side. That's pathetic. There was one episode where 3 Venators was all the Outer Rim command (or whatever) could spare. WTF?!?!
On the contrary, if anything the Clone Wars has been less minimalist than a lot of recent Star Wars content. Not that that is saying much.

Consider: when a war is being fought over thousands or millions of systems, 3 capital ships in a single system is a lot. We see a lot of this throughout Star Wars: huge fleets on a galactic scale, but mostly individually small engagements. Its just par for the course. At worst, The Clone Wars is just following a pattern, and I'm not sure how fair it is to single it out.
In the recent episode with the "major invasion" on Geneosis, I counted a little over a dozen ships. How is sending a dozen ships sufficient for a "major invasion"? Doesn't the SW verse have at least a dozen Star Destroyers as garrison forces for unimportant puny planets?
No it doesn't. A Sector Fleet is around 25 ISDs plus support ships at the height of the Empire.
I would think that a typical engagement should include dozens of ships, and full scale assault should numbers at least in the four digits.
Wouldn't really fit with the canon, and in my opinion is borderline wank.
This is no damn Rebel Alliance. Confederacy and Republic should have ramped up number of ships, especially considering that they have been at war for some time in the depiction of the Clone Wars series. Hasn't it already been determined that conservatively there are 20,000 ISDs in the Galactic Empire (not counting smaller support shops). That was during a relatively "peaceful" reign of Palpatine where the only nuisance was the Rebel Alliance. In war, there should have much more ships in service! The Old Republic should have at least as many ships the Empire have.
Why should they? The Old Republic was severly under-militarized. They were basically building an army from scratch during the Clone Wars. Yes, Palpatine's Empire (pre-Endor) was more peaceful, but it was also to all appearences far more militarized. Palpatine kept order precisely by building a massive military.
Let's not get started on ground combat. Based on visual evidence, the recent "major invasion" would have at most 30 tanks (about 10 from each Jedi general) assuming nobody got shot down. Even the United States sends more tanks to invade Iraq!
Source for the "30 tanks" statement? Just because you never saw more than thirty on-screen at a time doesn't mean that's all they had on the entire planet.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Kane Starkiller wrote:I have no problem with how many ships they have but that they don't use them. It seems that lately beginning even with AOTC the starships become more of an irrelevant scenery and it's all about Jedi running with their lightsabers in front of dense Clonetrooper formations straight for a dense battledroid formation. Almost as if authors (perhaps even Lucas) wish they could change the setting to fantasy and be done with all the inconvenient space and air support that sci-fi setting provides.
Ships have been used routinely to land troops and engage other capital ships (the latter occuring in maybe a third to half of the episodes so far). They have not been used for planetary bombardment to assist a ground assault, but their are so many possible reasons for that.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Among other things, if the turbolaser energy output calculations on this site are sound, even the small capital ship energy weapons have power in the megaton/gigaton range. That's too big to be used for fire support of ground troops, because anything close enough to the ground troops to threaten them is close enough that they'd be inside the blast radius.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
NoogDeNoog
Youngling

Post by NoogDeNoog »

Simon_Jester wrote:Among other things, if the turbolaser energy output calculations on this site are sound, even the small capital ship energy weapons have power in the megaton/gigaton range. That's too big to be used for fire support of ground troops, because anything close enough to the ground troops to threaten them is close enough that they'd be inside the blast radius.
The Imperial Sourcebook says that they do use ship's turbolasers to support ground troops. I imagine they don't use them at full power, just enough to get the job done.
Bakustra
Sith Devotee

Post by Bakustra »

NoogDeNoog wrote:
Simon_Jester wrote:Among other things, if the turbolaser energy output calculations on this site are sound, even the small capital ship energy weapons have power in the megaton/gigaton range. That's too big to be used for fire support of ground troops, because anything close enough to the ground troops to threaten them is close enough that they'd be inside the blast radius.
The Imperial Sourcebook says that they do use ship's turbolasers to support ground troops. I imagine they don't use them at full power, just enough to get the job done.
That doesn't mean that they bombard the area directly around their troops. Megaton-range light weapons would presumably be used against concentrations of enemy troops and/or forts/defensive areas, well away from friendlies. Gigaton-teraton heavy and medium turbolasers are presumably limited to use in strategic bombardments, again likely well away from friendlies. Now, the point-defense guns would be capable of close-in support, but they have starfighters for more precise support.
Invited by the new age, the elegant Sailor Neptune!
I mean, how often am I to enter a game of riddles with the author, where they challenge me with some strange and confusing and distracting device, and I'm supposed to unravel it and go "I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE" and take great personal satisfaction and pride in our mutual cleverness?
- The Handle, from the TVTropes Forums
Covenant
Sith Marauder

Post by Covenant »

I think when you consider the technical power that Star Wars vessels and technology are supposed to be capable of, it seems minimalistic--but overall, I think it's fine. It's just as probable that the handful we see in any given scene are multiplied thousands of times across other battlefields--not including space patrols, defensive fleets, losses, replacements, and pure space engagements currently ongoing.

It's like watching Full Metal Jacket and wondering why we only see one tank really put to any use, despite hearing about how awesome tanks are and how powerful tanks would be.

While it would have been nice to at least get the feeling that sometimes they fight with slightly more advanced methods than "unload the block of soldiers and take back off," I don't think it's really problematic. Within the movies, it's fine. Inside the larger canon context it looks odd, but if they had gone for ridiculously huger numbers or things it wouldn't have fit real well with the Original Trilogy's depictions of soldiery.
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

Having a capability and using it intelligently are two different things entirely. Its easy to forget in the context of a SW vs ST debate that the GE or Republic might be inefficient in some or many ways oftne because they aren't inefficient enough to cripple any of their significant advnatages - ie even a fraction of the industrial capability, firepower, defenses, or whatever would be enough to ensure victory in that case. In other casees (EG the clone wars) the same isn't neccesarily true, and inefficiencies can be more telling or relevant.

Ideas like the 3 million clones stretch credibility because its too fucking tiny a number to meaningfully impact a large scale conflict no matter how you try to cut the numbers (even assuming tens of thousands of systems rather than millions as implied in the ovels, 3 million troops isn't going to do shit, nevermind the significant chunk of the galaxy actually repreesnting the Republic.) But saying that "there can't be 3 million clones" doesn't automatically mean they neccesarily had or employed super huge legions of quintillions of clones because militaries don't neccesarily fight intelligently or at maximum capability. (Iraq, anyone?) And I daresay the Clone Wars is a very good example of stupid choices popping up (starting off with the Battle of Geonosis in AOTC and moving onwards.)
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

NoogDeNoog wrote:The Imperial Sourcebook says that they do use ship's turbolasers to support ground troops. I imagine they don't use them at full power, just enough to get the job done.
I'm skeptical. In real life, there are very few pieces of hardware that can operate efficiently over an energy range of more than, say, three orders of magnitude. Even if you dial down a capital ship turbolaser to 0.1% of its maximum firepower, it's still ludicrously overpowered for close air support, or even not-so-close air support. You don't use hydrogen bombs in direct support of ground formations, either, for the same reasons.

Fighters, gunships, shuttles, they might carry weapons light enough to do the trick. But capital ship guns are just too big for anything other than strategic bombardment of targets far from your ground forces.
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

Simon_Jester wrote:I'm skeptical. In real life, there are very few pieces of hardware that can operate efficiently over an energy range of more than, say, three orders of magnitude. Even if you dial down a capital ship turbolaser to 0.1% of its maximum firepower, it's still ludicrously overpowered for close air support, or even not-so-close air support. You don't use hydrogen bombs in direct support of ground formations, either, for the same reasons.

Fighters, gunships, shuttles, they might carry weapons light enough to do the trick. But capital ship guns are just too big for anything other than strategic bombardment of targets far from your ground forces.
Not necessarily, according to the AOTC ICS, the Acclamator features light weapons that are in the range of 6 megatons. Those weapons could potentially be scaled down to attack smaller targets.

EDIT: fixed the wording slightly
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

Simon_Jester wrote:
NoogDeNoog wrote:The Imperial Sourcebook says that they do use ship's turbolasers to support ground troops. I imagine they don't use them at full power, just enough to get the job done.
I'm skeptical. In real life, there are very few pieces of hardware that can operate efficiently over an energy range of more than, say, three orders of magnitude. Even if you dial down a capital ship turbolaser to 0.1% of its maximum firepower, it's still ludicrously overpowered for close air support, or even not-so-close air support. You don't use hydrogen bombs in direct support of ground formations, either, for the same reasons.

Um, the Death Star? It could fire anything from planet shattering blasts to shots that *merely* vaporized shielded warships.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Kane Starkiller wrote:As I said: scenery. First there was no spacebattle in orbit of Geonosis, it would've been nice to actually see Acclamators and Trade Federation ships duking it out.
NItpick: There was one, just not depicted in the film. It is portrayed in the game "Jedi Starfighter"
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

between not seeing "the whole picture" of battles, size of the galaxy and the fact there's engagement where Jedi are uncommon or totally absent (according to what's implied in the medstar dualogy) while clones are used, any minimalism in the clone wars series doesn't bother me too much.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

Darth Fanboy wrote:
Kane Starkiller wrote:As I said: scenery. First there was no spacebattle in orbit of Geonosis, it would've been nice to actually see Acclamators and Trade Federation ships duking it out.
NItpick: There was one, just not depicted in the film. It is portrayed in the game "Jedi Starfighter"
Oh, I remember that. That was indeed a pretty cool fight.
Now if only we could see it in something that more than a fraction of Star Wars fans would get to see...
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Connor MacLeod wrote:Um, the Death Star? It could fire anything from planet shattering blasts to shots that *merely* vaporized shielded warships.
Hmm. You have a point. There was no overpenetration when the DS-II blew up the Liberty.

At a guess:
The Death Star fires a continuous beam*, which means that it may be practical to reduce total power output by reducing the duration.** Cut the duration to, say, a few nanoseconds, and the beam energy drops correspondingly. Moreover, a pulsed beam will not overpenetrate the way a continuous beam would, because the material dispersed by the head of the beam won't have time to get out of the way before the tail of the beam passes through.

The catch is that conventional ISD guns don't seem to fire on continuous beam, so they may not be able to do that. There's always a limit on how short you can make the pulses.

*as far as beam physics goes, two seconds is continuous.
**Beam duration tends to be easier to manipulate than beam intensity, at least for particle beams, though I can't prove that applies to Star Wars energy weapons.
Dark Primus
Jedi Master

Post by Dark Primus »

And to add a little bit more, a huge chunk of the Republic fleet are also assigned to protect worlds, escorting convoys etc etc.
EAT SHIT AND DIE! - Because I say so

"Me Grimlock Badass" -Grimlock
Darth Hoth
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Hoth »

open_sketchbook wrote:You realize, of course, that Star Wars really IS just fantasy in space, right? Lucas never, ever gave a shit about technical, strategic or scientific accuracy; he set out to make a fairy tale IN SPACE and that's exactly what he made.
No shit, really? But nasty, evil EU authors KJA, Stackpole et al absolutely, positively, undeniably wrote purposely minimalistic and/or retarded books with malice aforethought and took great pains to think things over and intentionally portray numbers they considered wildly inappropriate to the scale of the setting, for the sole purpose of irritating the analyst fans/VS debaters. This is why most people see nothing wrong with lambasting them while Lucas is immune to criticism. :roll:

What point did you aim to make here, exactly?
"But there's no story past Episode VI, there's just no story. It's a certain story about Anakin Skywalker and once Anakin Skywalker dies, that's kind of the end of the story. There is no story about Luke Skywalker, I mean apart from the books."

-George "Evil" Lucas