You vs Azazel (spoilers)

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Bakustra
Sith Devotee

Re: You vs Azazel (spoilers)

Post by Bakustra »

Plekhanov wrote:
Bakustra wrote:There is, from what I can tell from the OP, no way to determine where the demon is apart from "probably in the body of the guy/gal trying to kill you," so most people are focusing on a way to actually deal with the demon, rather than theorizing about PKE meters or other pseudoscience. I will admit that the majority of people would probably die, if we assume the demon is out to kill them, before really knowing what's happening, including myself. I mentioned that in my initial post, and then moved on to the more interesting subject of dealing with the demon, assuming I survive the initial attacks. But if you insist, we can have a thread of nothing but "I die lol" posts, and/or various ludicrous methods to try and identify a posessee, unless there is one the OP isn't telling us. Of course, you still have the same problem as everybody else in the thread, with the additional complication of compelling the demon into committing suicide by passing into a dying dog that you then kill, unless you have some hold over the demon that would be no different for everyone else in the threads' plans.

Anyway, if you want a plan for tracking the demon down, well my plan is to let the demon come to me, just as the main character on the movie apparently did, make sure to do so at an abandoned mine with a shaft more than 754 feet deep. There. No need to capture the demon or identify him. He comes to me, and identifies himself. Then the rest of my plan would take over.
Tracking the demon down is next to impossible as in the film it constantly and effortlessly jumps from person to person and by no means always causes those it's possessing to act in a demonic manner. iirc according to the demon's voice over it's been doing this for thousands of years and is very good at it.

If someone is actively trying to kill you there's a good chance it could be demon, or it could be a regular guy seeking revenge for you blackmailing and repeatedly raping their wife/daughter/favourite niece (I mean of course that Azazel would possess the 'victim' and tell the guy you'd raped them). Even if you do correctly identify who's possessed it's all too easy for Azazel to move in an instant. Azazel's ability to possess almost anyone at a whim and access all their memories also makes it extremely difficult to work with anyone to defeat him even if you can convince them of the situation.

Somehow trying to convince him to come to you in a remote location is the only way to play it that I can see of trying to deal with him. This would be very difficult though especially if this is Azazel from the film and he's got the recent (for him) memory of what Hobbes almost succeeded in doing to him fresh in his memory. I've got a large family so this also adds the difficulty that whilst I'm off in this remote location hoping Azazel will come to me he could be causing unpleasant things to happen to them. Defeatist as it may be my best bet might simply be to kill myself and hope he leaves them alone and goes off to play with someone else iirc he had a thing for destroying the lives of the rare people with the fortitude to resist him so with me gone my family may no longer interest him.
Yeah. To be frank, I consider my chances of success to be fairly low, and even if I do survive, I'm likely to be wiped out financially and socially from the demon's efforts. Of course, I'm only a college student, so that's not as much of a big deal, but the consequences of the demon's efforts are likely to remain.
Invited by the new age, the elegant Sailor Neptune!
I mean, how often am I to enter a game of riddles with the author, where they challenge me with some strange and confusing and distracting device, and I'm supposed to unravel it and go "I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE" and take great personal satisfaction and pride in our mutual cleverness?
- The Handle, from the TVTropes Forums
hongi
Jedi Council Member

Post by hongi »

Bakustra wrote: There is, from what I can tell from the OP, no way to determine where the demon is apart from "probably in the body of the guy/gal trying to kill you," so most people are focusing on a way to actually deal with the demon, rather than theorizing about PKE meters or other pseudoscience. I will admit that the majority of people would probably die, if we assume the demon is out to kill them, before really knowing what's happening, including myself. I mentioned that in my initial post, and then moved on to the more interesting subject of dealing with the demon, assuming I survive the initial attacks. But if you insist, we can have a thread of nothing but "I die lol" posts, and/or various ludicrous methods to try and identify a posessee, unless there is one the OP isn't telling us.
If you watch the movie, Azazel is a really arrogant bastard. He may very well reveal himself just to piss you off. He also has a habit of singing 'Time Is on My Side' by the Rolling Stones.
Plekhanov
Sith Marauder

Post by Plekhanov »

hongi wrote:If you watch the movie, Azazel is a really arrogant bastard. He may very well reveal himself just to piss you off. He also has a habit of singing 'Time Is on My Side' by the Rolling Stones.
He's justifiably arrogant as he so outmatches people especially in a city as he knows he's effectively invulnerable in them. He sings 'Time Is on My Side' in situations where there are lots of people around and he can easily jump bodies, in fact at one point he sings 'Time is on my side' whilst jumping from body to body, iirc up until the final confrontation there was never a time when Hobbes could have realistically identified and captured Azazel and then dropped him down a mine shaft.
Bakustra
Sith Devotee

Post by Bakustra »

hongi wrote:
Bakustra wrote: There is, from what I can tell from the OP, no way to determine where the demon is apart from "probably in the body of the guy/gal trying to kill you," so most people are focusing on a way to actually deal with the demon, rather than theorizing about PKE meters or other pseudoscience. I will admit that the majority of people would probably die, if we assume the demon is out to kill them, before really knowing what's happening, including myself. I mentioned that in my initial post, and then moved on to the more interesting subject of dealing with the demon, assuming I survive the initial attacks. But if you insist, we can have a thread of nothing but "I die lol" posts, and/or various ludicrous methods to try and identify a posessee, unless there is one the OP isn't telling us.
If you watch the movie, Azazel is a really arrogant bastard. He may very well reveal himself just to piss you off. He also has a habit of singing 'Time Is on My Side' by the Rolling Stones.
Well, there's another, deliciously, subtle way he could "make my life hellish", then; simply threaten me regularly until I lash out at anybody singing the song. :P

Anyways, even if he reveals himself to me, that doesn't exactly help me unless he's proud or stupid enough to be tricked into a "final showdown" and based on what I've gathered, he doesn't seem to be arrogant enough to fall for that. So, like in most horror-movie situations (RARs) which haven't been rigged in my favor beforehand, my opponent likely triumphs. Even if I manage to destroy him permanently, he still may triumph from all the havoc he could've wreaked in the meantime.
I mean, how often am I to enter a game of riddles with the author, where they challenge me with some strange and confusing and distracting device, and I'm supposed to unravel it and go "I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE" and take great personal satisfaction and pride in our mutual cleverness?
Azazal
Jedi Council Member

Post by Azazal »

Time is on my side, yes it is

Now you always say
That you want to be free
But you'll come running back (said you would baby)
You'll come running back (I said so many times before)
You'll come running back to me......

Though to be honest I always preferred

Please allow me to introduce myself
I'm a man of wealth and taste
I've been around for a long, long year
Stole many a man's soul and faith

Sorry couldn't let the topic go by without some comment
Bedlam
Jedi Council Member

Post by Bedlam »

Azazal wrote:Time is on my side, yes it is

Now you always say
That you want to be free
But you'll come running back (said you would baby)
You'll come running back (I said so many times before)
You'll come running back to me......

Though to be honest I always preferred

Please allow me to introduce myself
I'm a man of wealth and taste
I've been around for a long, long year
Stole many a man's soul and faith

Sorry couldn't let the topic go by without some comment
Sympathy for the Devil is played at the end of the film when Azazel escapes from the trap.

I should be noted that it can and does posses animals as well a people so as well as worrying about friends and family suddenly attacking you so could your pets or any animal on the street.
Winston Blake
Sith Devotee

Post by Winston Blake »

Oni Koneko Damien wrote:Wait, why am I the only one who has to actually demonstrate the capability to do this? Everyone else's solutions involve the exact same thing (somehow identifying, catching, hiding and restraining the host before Azazel has a chance to flee), I was taking it as a given that this step of the process was achievable and it is what would be done afterward that was the important thing.
Because everyone else isn't thinking it through. Everyone is answering the question 'how would I win', not 'what would I do in a terrifying situation like that of Hobbes'?

I have seen the movie, and I seriously doubt I could kill the demon. I think it wasn't even clear that Azazel was actually tricked by Hobbes. He may well have been playing along because he knew he could find a small animal nearby. IIRC the final monologue was a twist where Azazel basically says 'lol noob' at a dead Hobbes for thinking he had won.

This demon is thousands of years old. The smartest, trickiest people ever to have lived have had less than 150 years of knowledge and skill up their sleeves... and they couldn't effortlessly take anyone's memories. It's worse than trying to fight The Doctor. Azazel is a magnificent bastard of the highest order, and enjoys leaving 'breadcrumbs' just to mess with people. In fact, the whole premise of the film is basically that he's trying to get noticed so he can have a little fun.

Now, what if I was in Hobbes' position? Well, assuming the book describing Azazel also mentioned he could jump to animals, I would try to rewrite the end of the movie. First, I would read my ass off trying to find some other way of killing him, that doesn't require me to face him down, and possibly get ensnared in a Tzeentchian nightmare. Like contacting the Vatican or something.

Failing that, I would go somewhere with lots of people, like a shopping centre. This makes Azazel feel safe. Then I turn around, shoot Azazel in the leg, shoot him in the arms and other leg (so he can't off himself), throw him in a nearby dumpster, and shoot wildly and shout that I have a bomb and put bombs everywhere in the building. Everyone evacuates, hopefully far enough away that I can run away past the required radius before Azazel bleeds to death. Or I could smoke the poisoned cigarettes and shoot myself in the legs.

I guess I'd have to make sure there aren't any pet shops around, huh? Maybe execute all the pets?
Robert Gilruth to Max Faget on the Apollo program: “Max, we’re going to go back there one day, and when we do, they’re going to find out how tough it is.”
Bakustra
Sith Devotee

Post by Bakustra »

Winston Blake wrote:
Oni Koneko Damien wrote:Wait, why am I the only one who has to actually demonstrate the capability to do this? Everyone else's solutions involve the exact same thing (somehow identifying, catching, hiding and restraining the host before Azazel has a chance to flee), I was taking it as a given that this step of the process was achievable and it is what would be done afterward that was the important thing.
Because everyone else isn't thinking it through. Everyone is answering the question 'how would I win', not 'what would I do in a terrifying situation like that of Hobbes'?

I have seen the movie, and I seriously doubt I could kill the demon. I think it wasn't even clear that Azazel was actually tricked by Hobbes. He may well have been playing along because he knew he could find a small animal nearby. IIRC the final monologue was a twist where Azazel basically says 'lol noob' at a dead Hobbes for thinking he had won.

This demon is thousands of years old. The smartest, trickiest people ever to have lived have had less than 150 years of knowledge and skill up their sleeves... and they couldn't effortlessly take anyone's memories. It's worse than trying to fight The Doctor. Azazel is a magnificent bastard of the highest order, and enjoys leaving 'breadcrumbs' just to mess with people. In fact, the whole premise of the film is basically that he's trying to get noticed so he can have a little fun.

Now, what if I was in Hobbes' position? Well, assuming the book describing Azazel also mentioned he could jump to animals, I would try to rewrite the end of the movie. First, I would read my ass off trying to find some other way of killing him, that doesn't require me to face him down, and possibly get ensnared in a Tzeentchian nightmare. Like contacting the Vatican or something.

Failing that, I would go somewhere with lots of people, like a shopping centre. This makes Azazel feel safe. Then I turn around, shoot Azazel in the leg, shoot him in the arms and other leg (so he can't off himself), throw him in a nearby dumpster, and shoot wildly and shout that I have a bomb and put bombs everywhere in the building. Everyone evacuates, hopefully far enough away that I can run away past the required radius before Azazel bleeds to death. Or I could smoke the poisoned cigarettes and shoot myself in the legs.

I guess I'd have to make sure there aren't any pet shops around, huh? Maybe execute all the pets?
I didn't think that anyone would want a thread entirely of posts of "I die when Azazel makes his first attack, since I have no clue who he is and looking out for people singing the Rolling Stones is hardly something that would become second nature after reading one book." Of course, your idea of looking up another way to kill Azazel might be useful, but I was simply going off the presumption that the book was the only source about Azazel, and that we find it credible. Anyways, your plan is fairly risky, but mine is less likely to work. Flip a coin? :)
Lusankya
ChiCom

Post by Lusankya »

In the movie, we only ever actually see Azazel possessing cats and humans - never any other kind of animal. Of course, I'm a cat person, so that leaves me pretty screwed either way.

Oni's idea about incapacitating Azazel isn't actually a bad one: while killing the host might be easier than capturing the host, capturing the host is the only way to ensure that Azazel isn't moving into another body. This will give me time to find somewhere isolated where I can kill Azazel. Of course, Oni's idea of then moving Azazel's spirit into another body is poor: I honestly doubt that he'd be willing to get into another body. Only option that I can think of is to tie up the host, and then "accidentally" let my cat brush against him, so that he moves into the cat's body. Even then, though, that requires me to be able to tell when Azazel has entered/left a host's body, and I'm not sure I'm willing to risk that.

I think it might be fairly easy to lure Azazel out somewhere remote though, since his favourite final method of screwing his victim's life over seems to be possessing his victim and then using their body to commit countless murders.

As for the morality of killing some poor schmuck who merely had the misfortune of being possessed by the demon: it's necessary. Hobbes wasn't the first person who Azazel decided to torment this way, and he won't be the last. While I doubt that I'd actually be able to succeed at outwitting him, I feel there is a moral obligation to try.
"I would say that the above post is off-topic, except that I'm not sure what the topic of this thread is, and I don't think anybody else is sure either."
- Darth Wong
Free Durian - Last updated 27 Dec
"Why does it look like you are in China or something?" - havokeff