Dresden Files vs X-Files.

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Re: Dresden Files vs X-Files.

Post by MKSheppard »

Lord of the Abyss wrote:I have this image of them getting about halfway though this scenario, before Gentleman Johnny Marcone shows up, hands the commanding MiB a cell phone and says "Your boss wants to talk to you, by the way. Oh, and tell him I'll be a bit late for golf tomorrow" and walks out of the scene. And after much MiB hair pulling at the other side of the conversation the assault is called off.
I'm afraid you don't know just how X-Files MIB operate, specifically C.G.B. Spender (Cancer Man/Cigarette Smoking Man). He's basically at the top; and can basically order just about anything -- he for example shot Kennedy, then Martin Luther King personally as a younger agent.

His jurisdiction is essentially unlimited. Basically, the only reason Mulder and Scully aren't disappeared is because CGB has a soft spot for Bill Mulder's son.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Lord of the Abyss
Village Idiot

Post by Lord of the Abyss »

I was just making a joke.

Now, if you want to talk about what would actually happen? The CSM gets turned into a grease spot by the Blackstaff, if Dresden or some other supernatural doesn't do it himself. Or eaten by a vampire. Or something of the same nature. Yes, yes, the MiB types are dangerous in the X-Files - when they are fighting some underequipped FBI agents. Not when fighting wizards who can knock down buildings and vanish into the Nevernever. Not to mention all the other supernaturals. A MiB force by it's conspiratorial nature lacks the greatest advantage that the Dresdenverse mortals have that makes the supernaturals wary of them: vastly superior numbers. There won't be a "billion black helicopters"; this isn't the full force of the US army. And the CSM and friends can afford to be dragged into the open a whole lot less than the wizards can.

Actually, the most likely bad ending for such a scenario would that he gets offered a Denarius.
"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." - John Rogers
Bakustra
Sith Devotee

Post by Bakustra »

MKSheppard wrote:
Lord of the Abyss wrote:I have this image of them getting about halfway though this scenario, before Gentleman Johnny Marcone shows up, hands the commanding MiB a cell phone and says "Your boss wants to talk to you, by the way. Oh, and tell him I'll be a bit late for golf tomorrow" and walks out of the scene. And after much MiB hair pulling at the other side of the conversation the assault is called off.
I'm afraid you don't know just how X-Files MIB operate, specifically C.G.B. Spender (Cancer Man/Cigarette Smoking Man). He's basically at the top; and can basically order just about anything -- he for example shot Kennedy, then Martin Luther King personally as a younger agent.

His jurisdiction is essentially unlimited. Basically, the only reason Mulder and Scully aren't disappeared is because CGB has a soft spot for Bill Mulder's son.
To be frank, he's probably in tight with some of the supernaturals already. There's no reason for him to make a wizard disappear if he can just tell his buddy the Merlin, "Hey, one of your punks in Chicago is becoming a problem. Rein him in for me, will ya?" At the very least, he's probably aware of the Red Court and White Court vampires, who tend to get involved in government for security reasons.

Of course, how far does his jurisdiction spread? Does he have the same level of influence worldwide? The wizards themselves appear to be mainly based in Europe (and possibly Asia), with only a handful in the Americas and their major safehouses in Europe and Africa.
If you like, I can run down the likely sizes and fighting capabilities of the supernaturals.

Lord of the Abyss: To be honest, the wizards would avoid fighting if possible. The majority of the White Council, who are the top dogs as far as wizarding is concerned, are nowhere near the level of Harry when it comes to fighting. Based on the Spoiler
casualties
from Dead Beat, the wardens at their height had maybe three hundred members, generously. Above them are the Senior Council, which only has seven members, of which at most six have any combat abilities (Jim Butcher has said that Ancient Mai lacks any real fighting abilities) and probably less. Further, only one of their members can actually kill a human with magic. Granted, there are forces well above the ability of the CSM to handle, like Ferrovax, the Fairy Courts, and maybe the Denarians, but the wizards can very well be driven underground. It's not like they hide themselves that well - Dresden's in the phone book! Furthermore, why would the wizards be able to link the CSM to anything? He rarely gets involved personally at this stage in his life.
Invited by the new age, the elegant Sailor Neptune!
I mean, how often am I to enter a game of riddles with the author, where they challenge me with some strange and confusing and distracting device, and I'm supposed to unravel it and go "I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE" and take great personal satisfaction and pride in our mutual cleverness?
- The Handle, from the TVTropes Forums
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

Bakustra wrote:
MKSheppard wrote: Lord of the Abyss: To be honest, the wizards would avoid fighting if possible. The majority of the White Council, who are the top dogs as far as wizarding is concerned, are nowhere near the level of Harry when it comes to fighting. Based on the Spoiler
casualties
from Dead Beat, the wardens at their height had maybe three hundred members, generously. Above them are the Senior Council, which only has seven members, of which at most six have any combat abilities (Jim Butcher has said that Ancient Mai lacks any real fighting abilities) and probably less. Further, only one of their members can actually kill a human with magic. Granted, there are forces well above the ability of the CSM to handle, like Ferrovax, the Fairy Courts, and maybe the Denarians, but the wizards can very well be driven underground. It's not like they hide themselves that well - Dresden's in the phone book! Furthermore, why would the wizards be able to link the CSM to anything? He rarely gets involved personally at this stage in his life.
I don't know, they may not try to actively hide in a bush all the time, but neither do they advertise themselves at all. Dresden is, if I recall correctly, the only member of the White Council who publicly advertises what he is to the world, as you say, in the phone book. The only other one who does it is his old ex-girlfriend/step-sister(whatever you want to call the relationship), who purposely failed the White Council tests(?) for membership because she wanted nothing to do with the group.
Bakustra
Sith Devotee

Post by Bakustra »

Gaidin wrote:
Bakustra wrote:
MKSheppard wrote: Lord of the Abyss: To be honest, the wizards would avoid fighting if possible. The majority of the White Council, who are the top dogs as far as wizarding is concerned, are nowhere near the level of Harry when it comes to fighting. Based on the Spoiler
casualties
I don't know, they may not try to actively hide in a bush all the time, but neither do they advertise themselves at all. Dresden is, if I recall correctly, the only member of the White Council who publicly advertises what he is to the world, as you say, in the phone book. The only other one who does it is his old ex-girlfriend/step-sister(whatever you want to call the relationship), who purposely failed the White Council tests(?) for membership because she wanted nothing to do with the group.
The point is that, while they don't really operate openly, there's no real secrecy concerning the existence of magic if you really look. Wizards et al stay hidden because few people take them seriously. The fact that Dresden can put his name in the phone book and distribute informational pamphlets shows that there is no rule about practicing openly, and nothing suspicious about it, or Morgan would have made an issue about it. Now, vampires, ghouls, and the fairies don't do so, mainly because they're far more likely to be attacked or hated than wizards.
I mean, how often am I to enter a game of riddles with the author, where they challenge me with some strange and confusing and distracting device, and I'm supposed to unravel it and go "I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE" and take great personal satisfaction and pride in our mutual cleverness?
Sheridan
Youngling

Post by Sheridan »

Serafine666 wrote:Spoiler
True enough. Might have been fun to see a Denarian dice with Morgan who, on his own, was apparently equal to the biggest hitter in the entire Red Court plus any flunkies the King could throw at him but alas. Yanno, you learn to really hate Morgan but I was sorry to see Butcher kill him off... he was a good foil for Harry when the two were in the same place. On the other hand, Lash tells Harry that he is somehow uniquely capable against for-real demons (like He Who Walks Behind) and we have no reason to think she was lying so Harry may not be a good ruler to use to measure "nickelheads".
Glad you agree about Lasciel... for some strange reason, I grew extremely fond of the character. Then again, I thought that Harry's dark side was a swell guy too so I'm probably just screwed up. ;)
True that. Nicodemus seems to be highly durable, however (it's hard to imagine that he wandered through a couple thousand years with only one guy figuring out that the noose was his one weakness). Besides... the way Butcher wrote the Denarians makes it seem like they'll be reduced to annoyances if he kills off Nicodemus since Nick seems to be the only one with the vision to dice in a serious way with other big players.
Spoiler
Fair enough, but Harry is specifically stated to be "...probably the most talented and powerful of your" (Dresden's) "generation," by The Gatekeeper in Turn Coat. I don't really think that comparing Dresden to anyone's average mook (no matter how powerful that average mook is compared to other redshirts), even the Nickleheads', is very fair. He's gonna come out on top (for values of "top"; not all outcomes will be neccessarily happy, just survivable) due to talent, power, or sheer guile and planning. Just my opinion, though.
Lord of the Abyss wrote:<snip>
Actually, the most likely bad ending for such a scenario would that he gets offered a Denarius.
Now, that's a scary thought. Let's take the guy who has managed to navigate the labyrinthene (sp?) politics of the FBI and other TLA (Three-Letter Acronym) organizations so well that he gets away with pretty much anything he wants to and then give him a demon from before time began in his head to help advise him. Hmm...not so good...
Bakustra
Sith Devotee

Post by Bakustra »

Sheridan wrote:
Serafine666 wrote:Spoiler
True enough. Might have been fun to see a Denarian dice with Morgan who, on his own, was apparently equal to the biggest hitter in the entire Red Court plus any flunkies the King could throw at him but alas. Yanno, you learn to really hate Morgan but I was sorry to see Butcher kill him off... he was a good foil for Harry when the two were in the same place. On the other hand, Lash tells Harry that he is somehow uniquely capable against for-real demons (like He Who Walks Behind) and we have no reason to think she was lying so Harry may not be a good ruler to use to measure "nickelheads".
Glad you agree about Lasciel... for some strange reason, I grew extremely fond of the character. Then again, I thought that Harry's dark side was a swell guy too so I'm probably just screwed up. ;)
True that. Nicodemus seems to be highly durable, however (it's hard to imagine that he wandered through a couple thousand years with only one guy figuring out that the noose was his one weakness). Besides... the way Butcher wrote the Denarians makes it seem like they'll be reduced to annoyances if he kills off Nicodemus since Nick seems to be the only one with the vision to dice in a serious way with other big players.
Spoiler
Fair enough, but Harry is specifically stated to be "...probably the most talented and powerful of your" (Dresden's) "generation," by The Gatekeeper in Turn Coat. I don't really think that comparing Dresden to anyone's average mook (no matter how powerful that average mook is compared to other redshirts), even the Nickleheads', is very fair. He's gonna come out on top (for values of "top"; not all outcomes will be neccessarily happy, just survivable) due to talent, power, or sheer guile and planning. Just my opinion, though.
Spoiler
Bear in mind that although Harry might not be the only person to figure it out, he is one of the only people to successfully resist the influence of and destroy a fallen angel's shadow, and all without abandoning magic. That was the main reason he was able to choke Nicodemus. I suspect that high-end wizards could take down any individual Denarian except Nicodemus and maybe Tessa with ease, since none of them appear to be particularly strong wizards. They may have the benefit of age, but age didn't help Snakeboy too much. I think that we'll get one more book that will settle a bit more about Denarians, and then they'll pop up for the end, much like how Changes is set to tell us more about the Red Court.
Sheridan wrote:
Lord of the Abyss wrote:<snip>
Now, that's a scary thought. Let's take the guy who has managed to navigate the labyrinthene (sp?) politics of the FBI and other TLA (Three-Letter Acronym) organizations so well that he gets away with pretty much anything he wants to and then give him a demon from before time began in his head to help advise him. Hmm...not so good...
Spoiler
On the other hand, would they? It's not like they provide Denarii to world leaders. It seems that, for all their bluster about world domination, the Denarians prefer to give coins only to people they think will make great evildoers, and to send a political message to other supernaturals. I doubt they care about politics. Granted, the CSM might fit in under some definitions, but...
Sheridan
Youngling

Post by Sheridan »

Bakustra wrote:Spoiler
Bear in mind that although Harry might not be the only person to figure it out, he is one of the only people to successfully resist the influence of and destroy a fallen angel's shadow, and all without abandoning magic. That was the main reason he was able to choke Nicodemus. I suspect that high-end wizards could take down any individual Denarian except Nicodemus and maybe Tessa with ease, since none of them appear to be particularly strong wizards. They may have the benefit of age, but age didn't help Snakeboy too much. I think that we'll get one more book that will settle a bit more about Denarians, and then they'll pop up for the end, much like how Changes is set to tell us more about the Red Court.
That's...actually a really good point. I wouldn't put it past them to be involved in more than one novel between now and then, though. They're just too lovable and fuzzy for Harry to leave 'em alone when they're in town.
On the other hand, would they? It's not like they provide Denarii to world leaders. It seems that, for all their bluster about world domination, the Denarians prefer to give coins only to people they think will make great evildoers, and to send a political message to other supernaturals. I doubt they care about politics. Granted, the CSM might fit in under some definitions, but...
Spoiler
Except that Harry directly states in Small Favor that it's likely the Denarians would be using the Archive to get to things like nuclear launch codes in order to bring about Armageddon. Methinks they'll have quite a bit to do with the proposed two-novel end to the series.

The CSM would be a good figure for them to corrupt: he's experienced at moving through the various governmental bodies in Puzzle City (so he can get things done), he's not known to the general public (so, if something happens to him [like running up against Dresden and getting turned into a newt], it won't be a huge blow to the Nickleheads' reputation), and he shows little to no moral qualms about doing anything neccessary to further his goals. Those three qualities make him a likely candidate, in my opinion. The only thing that he seems to be missing is magical talent of his own--and, if I recall correctly, Bob states at one point (I think it was in the book where the Denarians were introduced originally) that some of the Nickleheads developed their own talents over the years because of the influence of the demons in the silver. Not good...
Bakustra
Sith Devotee

Post by Bakustra »

Sheridan wrote:
That's...actually a really good point. I wouldn't put it past them to be involved in more than one novel between now and then, though. They're just too lovable and fuzzy for Harry to leave 'em alone when they're in town.
Spoiler
Except that Harry directly states in Small Favor that it's likely the Denarians would be using the Archive to get to things like nuclear launch codes in order to bring about Armageddon. Methinks they'll have quite a bit to do with the proposed two-novel end to the series.

The CSM would be a good figure for them to corrupt: he's experienced at moving through the various governmental bodies in Puzzle City (so he can get things done), he's not known to the general public (so, if something happens to him [like running up against Dresden and getting turned into a newt], it won't be a huge blow to the Nickleheads' reputation), and he shows little to no moral qualms about doing anything neccessary to further his goals. Those three qualities make him a likely candidate, in my opinion. The only thing that he seems to be missing is magical talent of his own--and, if I recall correctly, Bob states at one point (I think it was in the book where the Denarians were introduced originally) that some of the Nickleheads developed their own talents over the years because of the influence of the demons in the silver. Not good...
Spoiler
I don't have Death Masks with me at the moment, but I believe that the demons themselves have their own supernatural abilities they can use. Keep in mind that if they wanted to bring about Armageddon, there are far more efficient ways they could go about it. Furthermore, in DM, their plan is merely to stir up panics and disorder around the world, rather than instituting megadeaths. Bear in mind that Harry is only guessing, and another motive, (possibly Tessa-prompted) would be the prospect of permanently corrupting the Archive, removing one of the White Council's more powerful allies and a semi-neutral party within the Accords, and converting her (and Marcone) to a Denarian ally. Plans within plans. As to your second point, Kincaid can take down Denarians with some ease, excepting Nick and Tessa (and maybe Deirdre and Ursiel, if they have similar regenerative abilities) and he's outwardly a normal human. His only apparent superhuman ability is near-perfect accuracy. Small arms can prove fatal to a demonized Denarian, which makes sense with Snakeboy as a barometer.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

MKSheppard wrote: I'm afraid you don't know just how X-Files MIB operate, specifically C.G.B. Spender (Cancer Man/Cigarette Smoking Man). He's basically at the top; and can basically order just about anything -- he for example shot Kennedy, then Martin Luther King personally as a younger agent.
So some of Mulder's contacts (specifically The Lone Gunmen) claimed. I don't think it was ever confirmed weather that was really what happened. Just rumors after the fact.

It is true that the Cigarette Smoking Man has a lot of power and wide reaching authority, but he's not above everyone else. Even at the height of his authority, he had to take orders from other members of the conspiracy, and for most of Season Five and in Season Seven onward (when the original coverup had been destroyed and replaced by another organization), his authority was, to my best recollection, basically nil.
Well, the official reason is that he doesn't want to turn Mulder into a martyr by killing him, but I don't know how plausible that is. He was also being blackmailed by Mulder and Scully's boss back in season three, but I forget how long that lasted.

Edit: Finally, Lord of the Abyss is right that it would be a losing fight for the conspirators. They can't risk exposure, and since as I recall one of the reasons that Dresden originally kept Murphy in the Dark about the White Council is that they might kill her if they found out she knew, I imagine the same would be true ten times over for CSM and company.

Of course, if the aliens who are ultimately behind the coverup get involved, all bets are off. The wizards would be facing down Supersoldiers, shapeshifting bounty hunters, and the Black Oil creature, among other things. Not sure how that would turn out.
Lord of the Abyss
Village Idiot

Bakustra wrote:Lord of the Abyss: To be honest, the wizards would avoid fighting if possible.
True, but MKSheppard postulated an attack upon them by the CSM and friends, and the wizards would defend themselves.
"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." - John Rogers
Serafine666
Jedi Knight

Post by Serafine666 »

The Romulan Republic wrote: Edit: Finally, Lord of the Abyss is right that it would be a losing fight for the conspirators. They can't risk exposure, and since as I recall one of the reasons that Dresden originally kept Murphy in the Dark about the White Council is that they might kill her if they found out she knew, I imagine the same would be true ten times over for CSM and company.
Out of curiosity, why do you think that the White Council doesn't seem to care that "Gentleman Johnny" Marcone is extremely in the know? Even before he Spoiler
gets in on the Accords
, he is an amazingly well-informed man and seems to be entirely unsurprised by anything that Harry tells him (whether knowingly or not). I mean, a fairly normal human (albeit one that is apparently exceptionally brilliant) acts incredibly blasé about such things as having the door to his club blown off its hinges, traveling through the Nevernever, werewolves, faeries, and Super Regenerating Uber-Zombies© but Harry is worried that they'll kill Murphy if he tells her anything?
"Freedom is not an external truth. It exists within men, and those who wish to be free are free." - Paul Ernst

The world is black and white. People, however, are grey.

When man has no choice but to do good, there's no point in calling him moral.
Lord of the Abyss
Village Idiot

Serafine666 wrote:I mean, a fairly normal human (albeit one that is apparently exceptionally brilliant) acts incredibly blasé about such things as having the door to his club blown off its hinges, traveling through the Nevernever, werewolves, faeries, and Super Regenerating Uber-Zombies© but Harry is worried that they'll kill Murphy if he tells her anything?
Well, Harry didn't realize at the start just how much Marcone was clued in. And also; Marcone is a criminal, who has magical defenses Spoiler
courtesy of Miss Gard and Monoc Securities.

While Murphy lacks such defenses, and is a member of law enforcement - and involving human authorities is a big no-no, compared in-universe to using nuclear weapons. They aren't afraid of Marcone - but they are afraid of the full power of the government, which a government official potentially has backing them.

Plus, if the Council decided to fry Marcone, Dresden wouldn't really care. He does care about Murphy.
Bakustra
Sith Devotee

Post by Bakustra »

Serafine666 wrote:
The Romulan Republic wrote: Edit: Finally, Lord of the Abyss is right that it would be a losing fight for the conspirators. They can't risk exposure, and since as I recall one of the reasons that Dresden originally kept Murphy in the Dark about the White Council is that they might kill her if they found out she knew, I imagine the same would be true ten times over for CSM and company.
Out of curiosity, why do you think that the White Council doesn't seem to care that "Gentleman Johnny" Marcone is extremely in the know? Even before he Spoiler
gets in on the Accords
, he is an amazingly well-informed man and seems to be entirely unsurprised by anything that Harry tells him (whether knowingly or not). I mean, a fairly normal human (albeit one that is apparently exceptionally brilliant) acts incredibly blasé about such things as having the door to his club blown off its hinges, traveling through the Nevernever, werewolves, faeries, and Super Regenerating Uber-Zombies© but Harry is worried that they'll kill Murphy if he tells her anything?
Harry is stupidly paranoid about the White Council at the time. Remember, these are the people that have had him under thin probation for self-defense and have had their police harass him. Also, there's a difference between somebody figuring something out on their own (and Marcone is very good about concealing his disbelief or incredulity) and somebody being told about an organization. On the gripping hand, Murphy is a police officer, and most supernaturals fear the human authorities; remember Harry expressly comparing police intervention to the supernatural equivalent of a nuke? Finally, the existence of the supernatural seems to be obvious to anybody who keeps their eyes open in the Dresdenverse, even if they deny what they see, or else the Alphas and Spoiler
Rawlins
wouldn't have gotten involved with Harry.

EDIT:Well, even though LotA beat me to it, I still have some other points.
Lord of the Abyss wrote:
Bakustra wrote:Lord of the Abyss: To be honest, the wizards would avoid fighting if possible.
True, but MKSheppard postulated an attack upon them by the CSM and friends, and the wizards would defend themselves.
Yeah, but... it's Shep. :P
Anyways, I seriously think that Shep is exaggerating the ability of the CSM to even find the White Council. They tend to live low-profile lives and blend in well in the US. In Europe, they'd be even harder to find, especially if they kill their only leads to Edinburgh. On the other hand, only one wizard is allowed to kill people using magic, and the majority of older Wardens prefer the use of fairly archaic weapons from what we see, and Spoiler
prior to the war, the older ones are what we've got.
The Romulan Republic wrote:
MKSheppard wrote: I'm afraid you don't know just how X-Files MIB operate, specifically C.G.B. Spender (Cancer Man/Cigarette Smoking Man). He's basically at the top; and can basically order just about anything -- he for example shot Kennedy, then Martin Luther King personally as a younger agent.
So some of Mulder's contacts (specifically The Lone Gunmen) claimed. I don't think it was ever confirmed weather that was really what happened. Just rumors after the fact.

It is true that the Cigarette Smoking Man has a lot of power and wide reaching authority, but he's not above everyone else. Even at the height of his authority, he had to take orders from other members of the conspiracy, and for most of Season Five and in Season Seven onward (when the original coverup had been destroyed and replaced by another organization), his authority was, to my best recollection, basically nil.
Well, the official reason is that he doesn't want to turn Mulder into a martyr by killing him, but I don't know how plausible that is. He was also being blackmailed by Mulder and Scully's boss back in season three, but I forget how long that lasted.

Edit: Finally, Lord of the Abyss is right that it would be a losing fight for the conspirators. They can't risk exposure, and since as I recall one of the reasons that Dresden originally kept Murphy in the Dark about the White Council is that they might kill her if they found out she knew, I imagine the same would be true ten times over for CSM and company.

Of course, if the aliens who are ultimately behind the coverup get involved, all bets are off. The wizards would be facing down Supersoldiers, shapeshifting bounty hunters, and the Black Oil creature, among other things. Not sure how that would turn out.
What kind of jurisdiction does the CSM have? Is he restricted to the US, or does he have international scope? Further, how would the White Council find out about the CSM? Does he regularly participate in field operations? Finally, does the X-Files ever reveal any of the aliens' motivations?
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Bakustra wrote: What kind of jurisdiction does the CSM have? Is he restricted to the US, or does he have international scope?
I'm not sure, but probably international. The Conspiracy had operations in Africa and Antarctica in the first movie, and CSM was at both sites. According to Mulder's Season One contact inside the conspiracy, their was also an international agreement to kill any captured aliens from crashed ships. If I recall Season 4 correctly, however, the Russians had their own program.
Further, how would the White Council find out about the CSM? Does he regularly participate in field operations?
Yes he does. Sometimes accompanied by a bunch of commandos who do the grunt work, but the show has featured him personally acting as a sniper and setting fire to the X-files office. So yeah, he gets his hands dirty. :)

Though I don't know if he'd become involved here at all, given that the conspiracy is mainly concerned with aliens, not some wearwolves.
Finally, does the X-Files ever reveal any of the aliens' motivations?
Colonization of the Earth and using humans as hosts.
Bakustra
Sith Devotee

Post by Bakustra »

The Romulan Republic wrote:
Bakustra wrote: What kind of jurisdiction does the CSM have? Is he restricted to the US, or does he have international scope?
I'm not sure, but probably international. The Conspiracy had operations in Africa and Antarctica in the first movie, and CSM was at both sites. According to Mulder's Season One contact inside the conspiracy, their was also an international agreement to kill any captured aliens from crashed ships. If I recall Season 4 correctly, however, the Russians had their own program.
The wizards and the vamps all have major operations outside the US, and in the case of the wizards and Red Court and Black Court vamps, most of their strength lies outside the US. This makes it less likely that he'll be able to track them down, since the wizards and vamps hide themselves fairly well outside of the US (and the vamps hide themselves regardless). Of course, there's always the possibility that the conspirators are already involved in the supernatural, assuming we fuse the universes somewhat, but that would complicate matters further, likely by adding another interested party to the mix already within the Dresdenverse.
Further, how would the White Council find out about the CSM? Does he regularly participate in field operations?
Yes he does. Sometimes accompanied by a bunch of commandos who do the grunt work, but the show has featured him personally acting as a sniper and setting fire to the X-files office. So yeah, he gets his hands dirty. :)

Though I don't know if he'd become involved here at all, given that the conspiracy is mainly concerned with aliens, not some wearwolves.

Hey, it's Shep. I think he's legally obligated to comment in every thread involving modern-day wizards regarding the death and destruction of all that is magic. Dresdenverse is already pretty aware of the danger of guns with regards to wizards and other supernaturals, though. The FBI was already involved in the case in the book, providing one set of werewolves. If he regularly shows up as a field commander, then the wizards are far more likely to be able to take him out.
Finally, does the X-Files ever reveal any of the aliens' motivations?
Colonization of the Earth and using humans as hosts.
Then, yeah, pretty much everybody important (excepting maybe the fairies) will fight against the aliens, if only to prevent them from upsetting the balance of power and the Spoiler
vamp-Black Council alliance.
If you'd like, I can provide a rundown of the major players in the book, and in the universe specifically.
Duckie
Sith Marauder

Post by Duckie »

So, what's preventing Spoiler
the blackstaff
from finding where CSM is and Spoiler
decommissioning another soviet satellite on his head?
Bakustra
Sith Devotee

Post by Bakustra »

Duckie wrote:So, what's preventing Spoiler
the blackstaff
from finding where CSM is and Spoiler
decommissioning another soviet satellite on his head?
Not knowing where he is? Spoiler
Ortega's
location was known, since he was a public figure and the Spoiler
Blackstaff
presumably has access to all White Council intel on their enemies.
That's probably the only thing stopping him, apart from the White Council's preference for reaction.
Lord of the Abyss
Village Idiot

Spoiler
Given that the Blackstaff can break all the laws of magic, including the one against mind control; and given that the CSM is part of an organization I think that the Blackstaff can find the CSM if he's motivated enough to shred a few brains and work his way up the hierarchy.
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

At that point the Blackstaff wouldn't really be worried about the CSM. The CSM is a field operative in the end. Given the Blackstaff avoids breaking laws except in extreme cases, if he was worried about the CSM that much he'd be more worried about who the CSM is working for.
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

Bakustra wrote: Lord of the Abyss: To be honest, the wizards would avoid fighting if possible. The majority of the White Council, who are the top dogs as far as wizarding is concerned, are nowhere near the level of Harry when it comes to fighting. Based on the Spoiler
casualties
Lacking any "real" fighting abilities may be relative. Ancient Mai and Injun Joe did fight off Spoiler
the spiders
in Turn Coat.

One should also note that Dresden himself makes the claim in Dead Beat that Spoiler
he is the top 30-40 strongest wizard on the Council, but lacks the finese/training of more experienced members
Power isn't everything though, since in White Night, Elaine was capable of managing feats such as Spoiler
permable fireproof barrier
, something that Dresden says he can't handle on the fly.

One SHOULD also note that there may be a reason for Dresden fluctuations in power. In White Night, he Spoiler
says it would had been difficult for him to vapourise a trashcan, yet, he was capable of freezing a lake by moving and drawing off heat in a flame spell.
Perhaps there is a difference when wizards draw power from the surrounding as opposed to from themselves. Afterall, we already see this in Storm Front. Indeed, it is "suggested" that Spoiler
Dresden powered the dinosaur in dead beat via a ley line in Small favour.
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

Lord of the Abyss wrote:
Oh yes. Yes they would. In the Dresdenverse bringing mortal authorities into a conflict is the equivalent of a nuclear assault. If the equivalent of another inquisition occurs, the wizards are not going to sit idly by and let it occur. A military base for example would not be in good shape after demons are summoned into it. To say nothing of how easy it would be for a wizard to start using thaumaturgy on someone, particularly if the Laws of Magic were... suspended in defense which would probably occur.
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Bakustra
Sith Devotee

Post by Bakustra »

Alyrium Denryle wrote:
Lord of the Abyss wrote:
Oh yes. Yes they would. In the Dresdenverse bringing mortal authorities into a conflict is the equivalent of a nuclear assault. If the equivalent of another inquisition occurs, the wizards are not going to sit idly by and let it occur. A military base for example would not be in good shape after demons are summoned into it. To say nothing of how easy it would be for a wizard to start using thaumaturgy on someone, particularly if the Laws of Magic were... suspended in defense which would probably occur.
You really have no basis to assume that the Laws of Magic would be suspended under any circumstance. The dogma of the White Council is that the use of black magic drives you insane and makes you evil. Now, there is some room for debate about this, both in and out of universe, but it's worth noting that the best sentence you can get for killing someone in self-defense via magic is still a one-strike-you're out policy, and McCoy had to Spoiler
volunteer himself as a guardian for Dresden to get that sentence rather than an execution.
The White Council wouldn't rescind the laws under the current Merlin. Further, while summoning demons isn't illegal under the Laws of Magic, compelling them through magic is, and would be required in order to use demons for tactical purposes. Further, the abilities of Dresden shouldn't be taken as the average for the White Council, as he is one of the most powerful members outside of the Senior Council, with years of experience with combat/offensive magic giving him abilities in excess of the typical member of the White Council.

Frankly, given the small size of the White Council, I think that the vampires and fairy courts are far more likely to be a major threat to the world, given the Spoiler
infiltration of the Red and White Courts into world governments and the sizes of the Fairy Courts as being in the millions, with large numbers of those being available for military purposes.
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

They're pretty damn forgiving for killings that can be construed as defensive though.
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

You really have no basis to assume that the Laws of Magic would be suspended under any circumstance. The dogma of the White Council is that the use of black magic drives you insane and makes you evil. Now, there is some room for debate about this, both in and out of universe, but it's worth noting that the best sentence you can get for killing someone in self-defense via magic is still a one-strike-you're out policy, and McCoy had to
If their existence is threatened they would not have a choice.

The Merlin had Morgan try to provoke Harry into killing him, and they were willing to remove Harry's status in order to prevent their own destruction. Maybe black magic might drive them insane, but they are obviously not possessing moral qualms with killing their own, let alone those wanting to kill them.
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est