Let's see your city!

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Simplicius
Jedi Council Member

Let's see your city!

Post by Simplicius »

As the title suggests, show off your city, town, neighborhood, etc. in photographs, paintings, sketches, wee models, or any other visual media. I don't travel much but I am always curious to see what other places look like, and in some ways there is no perspective like that of a native.

Guiltily, I have few photos of my own town that I haven't already posted, so I (regrettably) can't chip in until I've gone out and taken some. But in the meantime, show off whatever you like (or don't) about the place where you live.

For photographers: if you want to make an exercise of it, "Your city in six" is a classic assignment: Six photos that you feel best capture the character of your home turf.
salm
Rabid Monkey

Re: Let's see your city!

Post by salm »

Stuttgart is pretty boring and rather ugly. However there are two really cool characters roaming the streets.

One of them is Big Tom Yardly, an aging Hippie who likes to hang out in bars and discos. He ususally leaves his clothes - including his underwear - at the coat check and hangs out naked at the bar.
Interestingly he´s totally accepted and people, not even women, don´t care about his hobby.

The second image shows the parrot man. He usually plays saxophone in the streets and allways has his parrot on his head which, according to the parrot man, only understands Polish and therefore can´t answer questions asked by pedestrians.

[R_H]
Sith Devotee

Post by [R_H] »

salm wrote: One of them is Big Tom Yardly, an aging Hippie who likes to hang out in bars and discos. He ususally leaves his clothes - including his underwear - at the coat check and hangs out naked at the bar.
Interestingly he´s totally accepted and people, not even women, don´t care about his hobby.
Woah. Security lets him stay there buck naked?
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Toronto is weird. If I showed you the next 2 photos you'd never guess that this is a metropolis with something like 2.5 million people, and about 5.5 million in the Greater Toronto Area. You think it's some quiet suburb with a few tens of thousands, or maybe 100k tops.

But if I go east about 20 minutes from where the above pictures were taken, I'm right in downtown, and there's probably close to half a million people in the office & residential buildings below.

I can also walk from a run down ghetto or shady abandoned industrial area like this one...

...to a luxury beachfront condo development in about 5 minutes.

Oh yeah, and we have cool street parties.

aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

God, I just love how your suburb has so many trees! And how they're turning golden brown. I just love the trees. It must be awesome to have so many of them providing lots of shade on those wretchedly hot sunny days! :D
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
charlemagne
Jedi Knight

Post by charlemagne »

Sadly, I practically never walk around my hometown with a camera ready and the same watchful eye for nice pictures you get when on vacation. I've browsed my photos and there's just a handful that capture Regensburg in maybe a bit more than just a snapshot-manner. Still, I had to cheat and google this first picture that shows what probably is the most famous motive - St. Peter cathedral in the back, Salzstadl and Steinerne Brücke (the bridge) in the foreground.

The cathedral dominates the "skyline" from pretty much everywhere you look, just to give you an idea of how much taller it is than everything else in the old part of town, here's a picture taken from another church tower:

Something else to notice there is that ugly cube (with the Bücher Pustet sign on it) that totally clashes with all the hundres-of-years-old buildings around it. There are a few eyesores like that in Regensburg, built in the 50s and 60s when not much thought was given to preservation of old buildings.

Your perspective when walking the narrow streets of Regensburg would be something like this

or this:

And here's a view from one of the squares where you can sit down, have a cup of coffee in one of the many, many cafes or bars and enjoy summer days. This is on Bismarkplatz with the town theater in the background.

salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

[R_H] wrote:
salm wrote: One of them is Big Tom Yardly, an aging Hippie who likes to hang out in bars and discos. He ususally leaves his clothes - including his underwear - at the coat check and hangs out naked at the bar.
Woah. Security lets him stay there buck naked?
Nobody messes with Big Tom. :)
Thirdfain
The Player of Games
Location: Never underestimate the staggering drawing power of the Garden State.

Post by Thirdfain »

I live in Union City, NJ, which is not much to look at! Your average street is just standard lower/middle class urban sprawl with only a handful of nicer old brick residential structures.

In fact, this strange abandoned building is right across the street from my apartment:

Union City is heavily Catholic and Hispanic. One set of streets will be Columbian, the next Venezualan, and so on- different bars and businesses cater to one particular country or another. My neighborhood itself is very ethnically mixed, but if I walk 3 blocks away I wind up in an area where you need to know a little spanish just to order a meal!

There are a number of large Catholic churches in Union and Jersey City, and I've noticed a distinct red brick construction which I haven't seen in Catholic churches elsewhere.

Union City used to be fairly industrial, but that is no longer the case. This factory used to produce soap. Now only a single small part of the factory is still open (they make custom doors.) It is a little depressing to see at night, because only one set of windows is lit up, the rest is dead and empty.

Of course, Union City has far and away the best view for miles around. Every night before bed I can look out my window and see this:

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite.
John Kenneth Galbraith (1908 - )
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Hope we see some more participation with this thread! If not for the rain and lousy weather that has been lingering, I'd grab up some shots too. Soon as it clears up I'll see what I can get.

Good stuff so far.
Aaron
Blackpowder Man

Post by Aaron »

If the rain lets up today then I can get out and take some pics of small town Ontario. Just be warned that I am a shitty photographer.
M1891/30: A bad day on the range is better then a good day at work.
Aaron
Blackpowder Man

Post by Aaron »

Well despite the rain, I did it anyways.

I live in Renfrew, Ontario. A small town (8500) in the Ottawa Valley, about an hour from Ottawa. Formerly a town of the old lumber barons (the guys who raped Ontario of pine trees), it's now a town in decay. A local once told me that everyone leaves after HS and comes back to die. I picked buildings and areas that I thought best encapsulated that.

The old Stemco building:

A typical section of the "old part of town." THe small house on the left is from what the locals call "wartime housing", built for the local boys coming back from WWII:

The Mill, one of the oldest buildings in town, if not the oldest. Originally it was a Grist Mill, now a museum:

Probably the most modern area in town, the National Archives of Canada. The building is immense and the grounds occupy a large area. The place has about 8 folks working in there.

The back end of the dam that the town relies on for power:

Fire Station. The towns original bell is located between those two trees out front.
M1891/30: A bad day on the range is better then a good day at work.
J
Kaye Elle Emenopey

Post by J »

Toronto. I've tried to get some pictures of less well known stuff.

The Toronto Necropolis. This is where most of our city founders and famous dead people are buried.

Fort York, complete with a Red Coat, with the city skyline in the background. The fort was built to defend against the Americans, it wasn't entirely successful.

Distillery District. This is a historic area of Victorian era industrial buildings, the whole place was owned by a brewing & distillery company, then abandoned, and finally converted into a collection of art galleries, cafés, and shops.

Dominion Public Building. This was our main Customs clearing house, it's now the offices of the taxman.

Royal Bank Plaza and TD Centre. Yes, the building on the left really is made of gold, truly a great way to proclaim "we are filthy rich and made of money".
This post is a 100% natural organic product.
The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects

I'm not sure why people choose 'To Love is to Bury' as their wedding song...It's about a murder-suicide
- Margo Timmins

When it becomes serious, you have to lie
- Jean-Claude Juncker
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Post by Phantasee »

From what I understand, they put the gold in the window panes. It's unrecoverable, though, so there's no point in stealing it. It has the side-effect of reducing the buildings cooling costs in the summer, while increasing the cooling costs for the neighbouring buildings...which are also owned by banks, IIRC. Specifically, their competitors.
XXXI
Cosmic Average
Jedi Knight

Post by Cosmic Average »

Bricktown Canal. No idea why the water looks green there.

Bricktown in December.

Downtown Halloween parade.

Downtown. No idea why old fashioned cars are there.

Downtown Library.

Ice Skating. No idea why the trees have green leaves.

I've fallen down on that thing so many times and it's hell on the ankles.. :o :)
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Post by Phantasee »

I'm going to cheat and give you a link to a webcam that shows downtown Edmonton from (I believe) the University of Alberta, facing the North Saskatchewan River. You can see the LRT bridge crossing the river below the High Level Bridge.

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/index. ... e=CMAB0015

There's a couple other cameras you can see from the drop-down menu, but they don't show anything worth seeing.
XXXI
Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

A bit belated, but here are photos of the Bath and Bristol area.

Bristol:

Broadmead:

The Mall:

Plaza and Harbour:

And Bath:
'Alright guard, begin the unnecessarily slow moving dipping mechanism...' - Dr. Evil

'Secondly, I don't see why "income inequality" is a bad thing. Poverty is not an injustice. There is no such thing as causes for poverty, only causes for wealth. Poverty is not a wrong, but taking money from those who have it to equalize incomes is basically theft, which is wrong.' - Typical Randroid

'I think it's gone a little bit wrong.' - The Doctor
Modax
Padawan Learner

Post by Modax »

Some random pictures of Edmonton's parks during the summer

The Muttart Conservatory in Winter

A panorama shot of the downtown skyline at night, taken from near the last photo but facing north. I stole this from somewhere on google, as you can see from the watermark. So sue me.Image

The view from downtown, facing southeast. I used to live on the top (21st) floor of the sixth building from the left. I now live about two blocks south of it, which is about a 20 minute walk from the university. The barely visible short building nearby was once an old mill, which has since been converted into a restaurant.

We have a rather large "shopping mall" with a rather large "water park". I haven't been there in years; it's quite pricey and on the opposite end of the city from me. One of my best friends used to work there, he got to stand around in a bizarre mascot suit and talk to tourists.
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

I'll go out and shoot some more stuff, but for now, some old shots of Bumfuck, Belgium:

Frank Hipper
Overfiend of the Superego

Post by Frank Hipper »

Sights of the burg that spawned me; Hamilton, Ohio.

Railway viaduct and bridge; viaduct circa 1860, bridge circa 1955

Viaduct arch and keystone:

From the other side:

Cut log house, circa 1810-20? Note satelite dish...

Butler County Courthouse, 1886; original cupola lost to fire on March 14, 1912. Image
My grandmother's birth certificate was lost in that fire, as were two firefighters:
Original appearance:

Grotesque ornamentation:

Soldier's, Sailor's, and Pioneer's Monument; Civil War Memorial of 1906:

Avian art critics:

Facade:

"Who controls the British Crown, who keeps the metric system down, we do, we do..."

Hamilton has some decent art deco; detail view of the First National Bank And Trust building of 1930:

A bit more of the building:

Rather nice Italinate arched windows:

Detail view:

The lovelier Second National Bank right down the street:

My long shot of this building was typically blurred, but at least here's the Eagle finial I managed to crop off in the above shot:

The old Opera House:

Detail of 19th century Italinate goodness:

I love this; an original late 19th century Classical Revival facade, with an Art Deco remodeled window, and a hideous, hideous, hideous 1950's monstrosity of a facade, all in a state of decay. An exquisite testament to the nature of this town:
Life is all the eternity you get, use it wisely.
Simplicius
Jedi Council Member

Post by Simplicius »

That Civil War monument...I really don't know what to make of it. It's almost grotesque in its bulk.

About the gaudiest monument you'd see in this neck of the woods is a granite soldier on a plinth, maybe one or two feet over life-size, at Order Arms or casually leaning on his musket. And if the history of the town of Boothbay is any indication, towns were mighty reluctant to pay even for that.

The courthouse is wicked nice, though, and thanks for including the Deco because I'm a real sucker for that style.
J
Kaye Elle Emenopey

Post by J »

Gooderham & Worts building. The administrative headquarters building for the distillery district buildings in my previous post.

Old City Hall. The detail work on this building is incredible, I could spend days taking pictures of it and still miss things.

Closer view of Old City Hall

Art Gallery of Ontario. The original building was eaten by the new extension.

Judging by the architecture, I'm guessing this was a bank building before it was converted into retail.

Hockey Hall of Fame. This is the most holy building in Canada.

Canada Permanent Building. You can tell it's a bank building from the gold inlays on the lettering. Built during the Great Depression.

Close-up view of the entranceway detail from the photo a day thread

The old Bank of Montreal building

Commerce Court North. Yup, it's another Depression era bank building.
This post is a 100% natural organic product.
The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects

I'm not sure why people choose 'To Love is to Bury' as their wedding song...It's about a murder-suicide
- Margo Timmins

When it becomes serious, you have to lie
- Jean-Claude Juncker
Pulp Hero
Jedi Master

Post by Pulp Hero »

Nothing will sum up this town better than this photo:

Liquor, tattoos, and pay-day loans.

I can never love you because I'm just thirty squirrels in a mansuit."

"Ah, good ol' Popeye. Punching ghosts until they explode."[/b]-Internet Webguy

"It was cut because an Army Ordnance panel determined that a weapon that kills an enemy soldier 10 times before he hits the ground was a waste of resources, so they scaled it back to only kill him 3 times."-Anon, on the cancellation of the Army's multi-kill vehicle.
Raesene
Jedi Master

Post by Raesene »

Vienna's city center is now illuminated, mostly thanks to various Christmas Markets...

the neo-gothic City Hall:
(mobile phone picture)

same during summer:
(borrowed this picture from a friend)

street illumination:
(mobile phone picture)

more street illumination:
(mobile phone picture)

some shops also put up their own lights:
(another mobile phone picture)

what's for sale at these markets ? Christmas tree decorations, gift items, spiced mulled wine, punch and lots of various foodstuff and sweets...

"In view of the circumstances, Britannia waives the rules."

"All you have to do is to look at Northern Ireland, [...] to see how seriously the religious folks take "thou shall not kill. The more devout they are, the more they see murder as being negotiable." George Carlin

"We need to make gay people live in fear again! What ever happened to the traditional family values of persecution and lies?" - Darth Wong
"The closet got full and some homosexuals may have escaped onto the internet?"- Stormbringer

Dahak
Emperor's Hand

Post by Dahak »

salm wrote:Stuttgart is pretty boring and rather ugly.
I tend to disagree :)
It's quite a nice city, compared to a lot of other cities I have seen. Schloßplatz, Altes Schloß, Neues Schloß, the parks, Wilhelma, Mercedes-Benz Museum...
Sadly, my photos are at my home computer, while I am 400km away in Mönchengladbach, which *is* fugly...
Great Dolphin Conspiracy - Chatter box
"Implications: we have been intercepted deliberately by a means unknown, for a purpose unknown, and transferred to a place unknown by a form of intelligence unknown. Apart from the unknown, everything is obvious." ZORAC
GALE Force Euro Wimp
Human dignity shall be inviolable. To respect and protect it shall be the duty of all state authority.
The_Saint
Jedi Knight

Post by The_Saint »

Will get some photos when I get back from a yacht race that happens this time of year in these parts but for now there's a handy webcam that shows off Hobart. The CBD is just off the shot to the left and I just off to the right on the skyline.
All people are equal but some people are more equal than others.