Godzilla vs Cloverfield

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

hongi
Jedi Council Member

Godzilla vs Cloverfield

Post by hongi »

If this isn't suitable for this board, punt away to an appropriate location.

Godzilla (any version you like) vs Cloverfield are at each others throats in NYC. Who wins?
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Re: Godzilla vs Cloverfield

Post by Ritterin Sophia »

The power of a nuclear blast in a ray form and regeneration that allows Godzilla to revive from corpses, sometimes even single cells. Let's not even get into the hide that can survive a nuclear blast.
A Certain Clique, HAB, The Chroniclers
Oskuro
Sith Devotee

Post by Oskuro »

Cloverfield was at least able to survive direct bombardment from the US military, unlike Zilla (the American Godzilla). The original Godzilla, though, is another matter.

Although the Cloverfield monster is supposed to be an infant, so its adult form might be an interesting match to Godzilla's awesomeness.
unsigned
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

the real Godzilla will rip Cloverfield to bits, and not even worry about the effort.

Godzilla has gone claw to whatever with some of the biggest powerhouses in fiction, and either won or survived.

In the Toho Movies;
He has been hit with nuclear weapons.
He has destroyed Alien spacecraft
He has beaten up Alien technology Cyborgs and Robots designed specifically to kill him.
He has survived being frozen
In one movie, he had the ability to 'fly' by leaning back on his tail and lifting his legs up. I think that was the one with Megalon in it. Yes, I even watched that Godzilla movie.

He is also about 328 feet tall (Wiki) and weight 60,000 tons or so (wiki)

In the Marvel Universe, Godzilla went against the Avengers (Which included Thor), Fantastic Four and SHIELD, AT THE SAME TIME, and was winning until a little boy talked him out of beating the crap out of the Heroes. He also helped beat off an alien invasion of giant monsters (the Megans).
He is also listed in the Marvel Database has been able to pick up over 20,000 tons with EASE.

In Dark Horse comics Godzilla line, he apparently survived the impact of the Asteroid that wiped out the dinosaurs.

According to the Cloverfield wiki, It's roughly 350 feet tall (240 - 300 when hunched over) and Weighs about 5800 tons.
It's also supposed to be 1200 feet long.

Godzilla would beat the living tar out of Clover without any real effort. Odds are, Clover would roar at him, Godzilla would hit him with his breath weapon, pound the crap out of him until Clover stopped moving (possible with more Breath Weapon shots), grab him by his tail, and fling the burning carcaus back into the ocean. He'd then proceed to rip apart New York for not being able to handle Clover without his help.

Adult Cloverfield specimens might be more challenging, but we have no firm information on the things.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Anguirus
Sith Marauder

Post by Anguirus »

Both these characters are in the Kaijuphile.com monster-fighting tournament. Clover is...rarely favored. He's big and strong, but that only counts for so much when you have monsters that can blast you to a cinder or punt you a couple of miles.
"I spit on metaphysics, sir."

"I pity the woman you marry." -Liberty

This is the guy they want to use to win over "young people?" Are they completely daft? I'd rather vote for a pile of shit than a Jesus freak social regressive.
Here's hoping that his political career goes down in flames and, hopefully, a hilarious gay sex scandal.
-Tanasinn
You can't expect sodomy to ruin every conservative politician in this country. -Battlehymn Republic
My blog, please check out and comment! http://decepticylon.blogspot.com
Serafine666
Jedi Knight

Post by Serafine666 »

I'm with the peanut gallery: Coverfield gets its... uhh... whatever is attached to whatever part of it is the ass... kicked and kicked hard. For the strangest reason, though, the highlight of Cloverfield's debut was seeing it gets bombed by B2s. :D I have no clue why that made my day...
"Freedom is not an external truth. It exists within men, and those who wish to be free are free." - Paul Ernst

The world is black and white. People, however, are grey.

When man has no choice but to do good, there's no point in calling him moral.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Godzilla has, on occasion, been able to throw similarly-sized monsters into the sky so far and so fast that they go out of visual range. He has also used similarly-sized monsters in football. Godzilla would so Final Wars Clover. :twisted:
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Wing Commander MAD
Jedi Knight

Post by Wing Commander MAD »

Wasn't the american Godzilla retconned out as something else and Americans are just stupid or something? I seem to recall seeing it during Final Wars. It may not be necessary to quantify Godzilla as the not American crappy version anymore.

Even if the Cloverfield monster was as strong as Godzilla (I kinda doubt it). It is nowhere near the as durable as Godzilla. I haven't seen all (probably not even half of the Godzilla movies), but I can really only recall Godzilla being beaten a few times, and AFAIK it has only died in the original film and whatever movie it was that it gets so radioactive it blows up or something and is replaced by the Godzilla Jr. (Heisei era I think, personally I prefer the Showa era). It lost during King Kong vs Godzilla, which is the only time I ever really recall it losing in the end and not dieing, mind you I'm not sure how that works as big hairy monkey vs giant lizard with fire breath doesn't sound like it'd go too well for Mr. Bananas. The Cloverfield monster died IIRC to conventional military hardware, while Godzilla has stood up to that and the funky futuristic Mazers, which seem to be some kind of directed energy weapon. Honestly, adult Cloverfield monsters are such an unknown that they are not even worth bringing up. I say this goes to Godzilla easily, and agree with Shroom, the Cloverfield creature ends up like all barring Anguirus, Rodan, and Mothera(?) in Final Wars :twisted: .
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

The American Godzilla shows up in FINAL WARS as 'Zilla', and gets its shit ruined in like fifteen seconds. I'm pretty sure it's the fastest defeat in the film, though not the harshest.
AFAIK it has only died in the original film and whatever movie it was that it gets so radioactive it blows up or something and is replaced by the Godzilla Jr. (Heisei era I think, personally I prefer the Showa era).
Godzilla vs. Destoroyah, in my opinion the best of the Heisei films. Godzilla spends the whole thing suffering from a 'nuclear heart attack' and at the end of the film melts, though as a result of this overdose of radioactivity he is basically at the peak of his powers for the era (man, Godzilla has the best science).
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
lord Martiya
Jedi Master

Post by lord Martiya »

Sorry to contradict you, but Clover wouldn't end like Anguirus, Rodan and Mothra, they could at least fight. And Mothra has that annoying habit of leaving an egg that will hatch in the exact moment of her death unleashing one or two larvae to defeat the now worn out Godzilla.
Frankly, I can't see the Cloverfield Monster resisting half of the time one of those monsters could do or at least still have something similar to a corpse after the battle...
Anguirus
Sith Marauder

Post by Anguirus »

Ok, give Clover a little respect. It knocked one New York skyscraper into another, and stomped a tank absolutely flat. Strange as it may seem, these are actually rare feats in the kaiju canon, so Clover's not lacking for strength.

This is the guy they want to use to win over "young people?" Are they completely daft? I'd rather vote for a pile of shit than a Jesus freak social regressive.
Here's hoping that his political career goes down in flames and, hopefully, a hilarious gay sex scandal.
-Tanasinn
You can't expect sodomy to ruin every conservative politician in this country. -Battlehymn Republic
lord Martiya
Jedi Master

Post by lord Martiya »

How can stomping a tank compare to destroy the Tokyo Tower by just collateral damage as Godzilla does every time he's in Tokyo, the destruction that a single larval Mothra provoked into her original movie or the routinely half-destruction of the Gotengo that Manda does every single time he meet that supership? I don't say that Clover is weak, I say that he's not as strong as Godzilla or Mothra, or even Manda.
Anguirus
Sith Marauder

Post by Anguirus »

How can stomping a tank compare to destroy the Tokyo Tower by just collateral damage as Godzilla does every time he's in Tokyo
He's only destroyed the Tokyo Tower once that I recall, and that with his blast. He's certainly not knocked it over by leaning on it or anything of the kind.
the destruction that a single larval Mothra provoked into her original movie
The first Mothra was on a totally different scale than the other monsters, not consistent with her later appearances. She's FUCKING huge. And even she puts her full weight on the Tokyo Tower and doesn't crush it completely.
routinely half-destruction of the Gotengo that Manda does every single time he meet that supership?
Manda got bitch-ass pwned by Gotengo both times. Manda wound up deader than dead and the ship had no damage (Atragon) or damage-by-exceeding-depth-and-heat-limits (Final Wars).

Clover would break Manda.

-Tanasinn
Wing Commander MAD
Jedi Knight

Post by Wing Commander MAD »

lord Martiya, I ment that it would end up dead like all the others in Final Wars bar those three, who only got beaten to within an inch of their life and were spared primarily as a show of respect by the producers of Final Wars for when they teemed up with Godizilla in the Showa era films.

I don't think the issue with the Cloverfield monster is so much strength, but its durability. It died to an amount of firepower seemingly comparable to which that Godzilla and company regularly shrug off without much if any ill effect. Really the fact that we're able to kill it at all doesn't speak particularly well for its ability to take a beating, that or it points out how rediculously freaking tough Godzilla and the other Toho guys are. Take your pick. I don't really recall humans ever killing any monsters in the Godzilla films, barring use of seemingly one-off super weapons like the oxygen destroyer.
SylasGaunt
Sith Acolyte

Post by SylasGaunt »

Wing Commander MAD wrote:Wasn't the american Godzilla retconned out as something else and Americans are just stupid or something? I seem to recall seeing it during Final Wars. It may not be necessary to quantify Godzilla as the not American crappy version anymore.
There was a dig to that effect in one of the other millennium movies. I want to say it was Godzilla x Mechagodzilla but I could be wrong.

And since Zilla's owning has been mentioned.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oX27v3yjbQQ

Not to mention Final Wars goji survived a blast that created a hideously large crater seemingly unharmed. Couldn't find the clip where he blows the shit out of gorrath but you can see him standing in the resultant crater in this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hi6pw5qZum0
lord Martiya
Jedi Master

Post by lord Martiya »

Wing Commander MAD wrote:lord Martiya, I ment that it would end up dead like all the others in Final Wars bar those three, who only got beaten to within an inch of their life and were spared primarily as a show of respect by the producers of Final Wars for when they teemed up with Godizilla in the Showa era films.
And in fact I said that they could at least put a fight, not that they can beat Godzilla. Apart Mothra with her little trick, but that's something we could call cheating...
Plekhanov
Sith Marauder

Post by Plekhanov »

Wing Commander MAD wrote:lord Martiya, I ment that it would end up dead like all the others in Final Wars bar those three, who only got beaten to within an inch of their life and were spared primarily as a show of respect by the producers of Final Wars for when they teemed up with Godizilla in the Showa era films.

I don't think the issue with the Cloverfield monster is so much strength, but its durability. It died to an amount of firepower seemingly comparable to which that Godzilla and company regularly shrug off without much if any ill effect. Really the fact that we're able to kill it at all doesn't speak particularly well for its ability to take a beating, that or it points out how rediculously freaking tough Godzilla and the other Toho guys are. Take your pick. I don't really recall humans ever killing any monsters in the Godzilla films, barring use of seemingly one-off super weapons like the oxygen destroyer.
Did the Cloverfield monster definitely die? I don't recall seeing it die, didn't we just hear an explosion and a scream? It's hardly as if it never screamed before.
Losonti Tokash
Sith Devotee

Post by Losonti Tokash »

Plekhanov wrote:Did the Cloverfield monster definitely die? I don't recall seeing it die, didn't we just hear an explosion and a scream? It's hardly as if it never screamed before.
It most definitely was not killed. At the end of the credits is a radio transmission that says "It's still alive."
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

Plekhanov wrote:

Did the Cloverfield monster definitely die? I don't recall seeing it die, didn't we just hear an explosion and a scream? It's hardly as if it never screamed before.
It probably didn't. It got hit with the "Hammer Down" from the US military (which that soldier dude described as likely to devastate Manhattan, i.e. it's heavily implied it's not the conventional weaponry used so far), and at the end that radio message says it's still alive.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
doan_m
Redshirt

Post by doan_m »

Solauren wrote: In one movie, he had the ability to 'fly' by leaning back on his tail and lifting his legs up. I think that was the one with Megalon in it. Yes, I even watched that Godzilla movie.
That's not the only way he flew. :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cjfJKMX11g
Plekhanov
Sith Marauder

Post by Plekhanov »

Rye wrote:It probably didn't. It got hit with the "Hammer Down" from the US military (which that soldier dude described as likely to devastate Manhattan, i.e. it's heavily implied it's not the conventional weaponry used so far), and at the end that radio message says it's still alive.
Does that message at the end definitely say 'it's still alive' I couldn't really make it out.

Anyway it would seem the Cloverfield monster is rather more durable than has been suggested surviving what was quite possibly a nuke or similar. So far as I recall most of the conventional fire it took in the film annoyed it a little and it was floored for a moment by the large conventional bombs the b2 dropped on it.
lord Martiya
Jedi Master

Post by lord Martiya »

According to J.J. Abrams, the Hammerdown, whatever it was, killed it. According to the message, it's still alive. Until we get a sequel, I tend to consider it dead.
Plekhanov
Sith Marauder

Post by Plekhanov »

lord Martiya wrote:According to J.J. Abrams, the Hammerdown, whatever it was, killed it. According to the message, it's still alive. Until we get a sequel, I tend to consider it dead.
Why would you take a comment in a media interview over the actual film?
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Plekhanov wrote:
lord Martiya wrote:According to J.J. Abrams, the Hammerdown, whatever it was, killed it. According to the message, it's still alive. Until we get a sequel, I tend to consider it dead.
Why would you take a comment in a media interview over the actual film?
Actually, the ending of the movie was intended to close it both ways

If we get a sequel; it the weapon didn't kill Clover.
If we don't; the weapon killed Clover, and there is no more story to tell.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

doan_m wrote:
Solauren wrote: In one movie, he had the ability to 'fly' by leaning back on his tail and lifting his legs up. I think that was the one with Megalon in it. Yes, I even watched that Godzilla movie.
That's not the only way he flew. :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cjfJKMX11g
Most fans would rather forget about Hedorah *puke*
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.