Dragon Age is out

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Re: Dragon Age is out

Post by Vympel »

Just finished the Landsmeet. Cool, but
Spoiler
I expected the fight with Loghain to be harder. I'm playing on Easy, and fighting his flunky, Ser Cautherine, was uber long even though I ran into the corridor behind the room where she tries to arrest you. Taking Loghain out with my dual wield warrior was easy though.

Should I have let Alistair do it? It seems more appropriate somehow.

And is there anyway to actually get Alistair and Anora to marry? They agreed to do so, but it broke down when I accepted Loghain's surrender but Alistair insisted he die. I let Alistair behead him.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Aaron
Blackpowder Man

Post by Aaron »

Spoiler
Really high persuade/intimidate skill I would assume. I haven't been able to do it as I always leave cunning at the minimum level required for the talent. To me there are better things to spend my points on, I will try it this go around just to see.

Just for the record, I have the same problem at Honleath. I can't convince the guy to just tell me the code for the Golum, I always have to rescue his daughter.
M1891/30: A bad day on the range is better then a good day at work.
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Vympel wrote:Just finished the Landsmeet. Cool, but
Spoiler
I expected the fight with Loghain to be harder. I'm playing on Easy, and fighting his flunky, Ser Cautherine, was uber long even though I ran into the corridor behind the room where she tries to arrest you. Taking Loghain out with my dual wield warrior was easy though.

And is there anyway to actually get Alistair and Anora to marry? They agreed to do so, but it broke down when I accepted Loghain's surrender but Alistair insisted he die. I let Alistair behead him.
Spoiler
Anora will not marry who kills her father. To get Alistair to marry her, persuade them beforehand, then you have to either have Logain live(and thus Alistair leaves the party but will marry Anora in the ending), or kill the fucker yourself.
I will admit after the third playthrough on hard, and exploiting CC out the nose...the end fights are only annoying because you need a lot of AoE and CC, and thus your alternate group is kinda fucked in some ways.

Though I can see where the second game is leading too, even if I never gave the wench the salami....she still is rumored to be with a special bun. So what...I was magical dream fucked?

Still not getting return to Ostagar unless I hear from a friend or three that it's worth it. OOoooh a new armor, new weapons, possible extra? You go Bioware! I always wanted my horse with barding.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Vympel wrote:Just finished the Landsmeet. Cool, but
Spoiler

Spoiler
Anora will not marry the person who killed Loghain, be it you or Alistair, deal or no deal
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

When does Return to Ostragar come out anyway? And it's only going to be $5. That's not even money.
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Vympel wrote:When does Return to Ostragar come out anyway? And it's only going to be $5. That's not even money.
Who knows, and it's not really a matter of money as much as it's basically $5 for...what they claim as 30 minutes for the newbie. It smacks too much of Bethesda and giving one barding for the horse. After Fallout 3...I expect at least a little more to DLC regardless of price.

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Well, finished the game. Awesome experience, lots of tough choices to make, and at the end of the game you find out of the conequences of your choices.
Spoiler
I was genuinely surprised at how badly things went at Ozrammar given what a genuinely good person Harrowmont was. I knew he was somewhat conservative, but I did not see that as justifying letting a fucking snake like Bhelen get on the throne after he most likely killed the heir to the throne and blamed his elder brother (YOU in the dwarf noble origin, as I understand it). But hey, he was a scumbag with genuinely great ideas.

Same goes with opening a Chantry in Ozrammar.

Needless to say, I took Morrigan's deal, since I was romancing her anyway. I was disappointed that I couldn't find her again. Yet?
Anyway, time to start again. Though as a rule I don't play anything other than warriors- ever - I'm considering playing a city elf rogue, just to see what it's like. However, I'm going to do human noble again, sword and board, making different choices, before I do so. Warm up run is over. Now its achievement mongering.

I wonder what the 'canon' ending is. Did Spoiler
the Grey Warden live, or not?
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Ending thoughts?

I am saying no.
Spoiler
Like I said...I did fuck Morrigan and in another ending did not fuck her and both times she was preggers? I'm guessing you are the Grey Warden that bites it, and like so does Logain. Alistair becomes king, Anora Queen...but for the rest more or less iffy.

The biggest debate is what does Morrigan do with the child really.
It was fun, but some of the choices are kinda meh, though others aren't bad in their choices of what does happen to who and where.

wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Vympel wrote:Just finished the Landsmeet.
Ditto
Vympel wrote:Well, finished the game.
Hmm.. I guess I'm pretty close in finishing the game as well then :(
dragon
Sith Marauder

Post by dragon »

Almost finished myself, but whats really cool is how much room there can be for new stuff. Look at the map that bioware has on their website.
We've only gotten to play with a portion of area down in the lower right.
"There are very few problems that cannot be solved by the suitable application of photon torpedoes
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

dragon wrote:Almost finished myself, but whats really cool is how much room there can be for new stuff. Look at the map that bioware has on their website.
We've only gotten to play with a portion of area down in the lower right.
I sure hope that they expand on it - i LIKE the background, and think it has a lot of potential.
SoS:NBA GALE Force
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The world owes you nothing but painful lessons" - CaptainChewbacca
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Divine Administration - of Gods and Bureaucracy (Worm/Exalted)
Aaron
Blackpowder Man

Post by Aaron »

I'm sure there will be a sequel, it seems to have gotten good reviews and the ending (if you opt to live) heavily hints at one.
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Hell, this game is akin to Mass Effect in design in some ways. It's meant as a starter, except the villain isn't quite "Oh, I am one of MANY!!!", more like "You don't know the truth!!!".

So yes, I easily see a sequel.

Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

It's called Dragon Age: Origin for Christ's sake. With a name like that of course they're planning sequels.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

Hmm. Is there a way to Spoiler
live if you play a female character?
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

White Haven wrote:Hmm. Is there a way to Spoiler
live if you play a female character?
Yes, have another of the Grey Wardens do it. It just requires a high persuade skill and them at friendly.

charlemagne
Jedi Knight

Post by charlemagne »

Spoiler
Or you persuade Alistair to boink Morrigan.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

How is that an "or"?
charlemagne
Jedi Knight

Post by charlemagne »

Vympel wrote:How is that an "or"?
Ha, sorry, I misunderstood :D I thought there maybe was an option to Spoiler
just tell Alistair to deliver the final blow so you can live.
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

charlemagne wrote:
Vympel wrote:How is that an "or"?
Ha, sorry, I misunderstood :D I thought there maybe was an option to Spoiler
just tell Alistair to deliver the final blow so you can live.
Spoiler
There is. My game glitched though so while i had alister and anora agreed to marry, i let alister sacrifice himself because i wanted to continue boinking leliana. The epilogue they used was the alister+anora married one though, even though the actual coronation and victory celebration cutscenes wre correct.
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

How do you get to fight Flemeth? I went to the hut but nothing there
Aaron
Blackpowder Man

Post by Aaron »

wautd wrote:How do you get to fight Flemeth? I went to the hut but nothing there
Spoiler
Find Flemoth's grimore in the First Enchanters office (the Circle). Give it to Morrigan and it will unlock the quest to get the true one. Morrigan will talk about it in camp. Leave her behind when you go. When you get to her hut, she will offer to bargain with her. You can accept her offer, fight her or accept and then fight her after you take it out of the house.
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Cpl Kendall wrote:
wautd wrote:How do you get to fight Flemeth? I went to the hut but nothing there
Spoiler
Find Flemoth's grimore in the First Enchanters office (the Circle). Give it to Morrigan and it will unlock the quest to get the true one. Morrigan will talk about it in camp. Leave her behind when you go. When you get to her hut, she will offer to bargain with her. You can accept her offer, fight her or accept and then fight her after you take it out of the house.
Oh right, don't take morrigan with you. Got it
Darth Quorthon
Jedi Knight

Post by Darth Quorthon »

Finished the game last night. I enjoyed the game, although I'll probably wait until Return to Ostagar is released before doing another playthrough.
Spoiler
I took Morrigan's deal so that I could live and presumably continue my adventures with Leliana at my side, unlocking chests and disarming traps for me. I still have a saved game file just before I talk to Anora after I rescued her, I might go back and see how Leliana reacts if I try and court Anora.

It was disappointing that Harrowmont's rule went so poorly. Since my next playthrough will be as the "evil asshole" I'll be supporting Bhelen. I'll also help Branka get the Anvil so I can summon Golems during the Battle of Denerim.

I executed Logain, his moving speeches would not save him! He was actually pretty convincing in some of his arguments, I could see how in his mind the Grey Wardens were responsible for Cailen's death, since Cailen trusted in them so deeply. However, his complicity in Howe's murder of my family in the human noble origin was another matter.

I picked Anora to rule alone as Queen, although her refusal to remarry could cause troubles down the road, but it had the bonus of stopping Alistair's bitching about not wanting to be king.
"For the first few weeks of rehearsal, we tend to sound like a really, really bad Rush tribute band." -Alex Lifeson

"See, we plan ahead, that way we don't do anything right now." - Valentine McKee

"Next time you're gonna be a bit higher!" -General from Birani

"A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin." - H. L. Mencken

He who creates shields by fire - Rotting Christ, Lex Talionis
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Spoiler
To be fair to Bhelen, it's not hard for Lord Aedeucan to be harbouring plans for fratricide against his elder brother anyway. There are dialogue options where the player character can alludes to the idea of murder to further himself, and Bhelen just uses this to his advantage. This sort of backstabbing madness is apparently pretty typical of dwarven politics: Bhelen was just the better dwarf. That said, it would have been interesting to actually travel back to the city having used the dwarf noble origin, just to see the little bastard shit himself. :)
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.