Clone Wars season 2

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Knife
Emperor's Hand

Re: Clone Wars season 2

Post by Knife »

There's a lot of bitching about Obi Wan in this series and I rather like the character, makes a good counter to Anakin.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Yes, but he seemed so dismissive of what in this case were legitimate concerns from Anakin and the female Jedi (what was her name?) It seemed like he was treating the whole idea of having an alien worm crawl up your nose and control you like it was no big deal, which seemed a bit odd, to say the least. Like he was amused by their predicament. Now, Kenobi's always been confident, controlled, not one to panic or overreact, and that's good. But he seemed out of character this time.

I've had no major problem with Kenobi in the show thus far. To be honest I don't think I had a very strong impression of the character one way or another.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Yes, but he seemed so dismissive of what in this case were legitimate concerns from Anakin and the female Jedi (what was her name?) It seemed like he was treating the whole idea of having an alien worm crawl up your nose and control you like it was no big deal, which seemed a bit odd, to say the least. Like he was amused by their predicament. Now, Kenobi's always been confident, controlled, not one to panic or overreact, and that's good. But he seemed out of character this time.

I've had no major problem with Kenobi in the show thus far. To be honest I don't think I had a very strong impression of the character one way or another.
Dude, Kenobi was obviously playing it very cool, notice how at the last second he had the clones jump out and blind the Geonosians at the last moment before anything happened to Luminara.

I don't have any problems with Kenobi in the show either, and I think they've done a good job of having him be a semi-main character that isn't always in the center of attention but still has a presence.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Darth Fanboy wrote: Dude, Kenobi was obviously playing it very cool, notice how at the last second he had the clones jump out and blind the Geonosians at the last moment before anything happened to Luminara.

I don't have any problems with Kenobi in the show either, and I think they've done a good job of having him be a semi-main character that isn't always in the center of attention but still has a presence.
I know what the plan was. But Kenobi seemed too cavalier about it, especially from Luminara's point of view, as she wasn't in on the plan.

Based on the episode list on Wikipedia, the zombie worms are going to show up again next episode, so maybe Kenobi will still get his chance at a live specimen to study. :lol:
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Well, total rip off from Aliens aside, I thought it was all hamfisted and dumb.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
TC Pilot
Jedi Council Member

Post by TC Pilot »

They really need to learn what "klicks" means.

Also, interesting that there's at least a hint of the Republic using bio or chemical weapons in the initial attack.
"He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot, but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."

"Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero."
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

This episode was alright. The one part I thought was cool was using blaster fire to bring down rocky pillars/ supports/ roofs. The more they do that the more I like it.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Netko
Jedi Council Member

Post by Netko »

Vympel wrote:This episode was alright. The one part I thought was cool was using blaster fire to bring down rocky pillars/ supports/ roofs. The more they do that the more I like it.
The thing I didn't like is that those same blasters that blast apart rock only do pinprick holes on the zombies and are totally ineffective. Now, sure, "variable yields" - except that the regular blaster fire is ineffective so anyone with half a brain would dial it up if he can. And nobody can convince me that the organic skin of those zombies is more resistant to blaster fire then the rocks.

It was just a maddening illogical inconsistency.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

A possible rationalization is that the Clones don't want to be using their rock-blasting yields at such close range (it may endanger not just them but also the Jedi), and so only set their DC-15s to fire at the higher setting when it was safe (relatively speaking, as they were already in danger of causing tunnel collapses as it was) to do so.
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

Maybe the zombies were born with metal implants in their bodies. :P
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

I know Connor's just joking around, but don't the Geonosians breed some sort of special soldier class? Maybe they *have* been engineered with some kind of built-in carapace armor or something.
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

It's actually more likely that they were just trying to conserve ammo. rock blasting yields are great and all, but you don't know how much power they might consume, and underground like that and in a nasty situation they may want to try to conserve ammo as much as possible.

It's also quite likely that "high power" shots may carry other kinds of drawbacks. cooling issues with the gun, reductions in rate of fire are possible, etc. High power, high energy shots like the rock blasting incident might very well put some nasty strain on the guns for all we know.

One cannot also rule out some bizarre supernatural force wankery type stuff involved. Its not like SW isn't rife with biotech wankery either, so this sort of thing is hardly new.
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

I just figured It was some sort of built-in bio-armor because the impacts on the Geonosians have almost the exact same visual effect as impacts on armored clone troopers and battle droids, but either of those works too.
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

The newest episode was quite dark, though that's to be expected at this point. Their was some interesting foreshadowing of Order 66. To paraphrase one of the infected clones: "If there's one thing we clones know, its how to stop a Jedi." Also, Anakin Spoiler
used a Force Choke to interrogate Poggle.
I quite liked what they're doing with Ashoka's character: its clear in her talk with Barris that the war is having a psychological effect on her, without being too heavy-handed about it.
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Complete with awesome Darth Vader sound track

DarkAscendant
Redshirt

Post by DarkAscendant »

Dun, Dun, Dun, Dun-Da-Dun, Dun-Da-Dunnnnnnn!
VT-16
Sith Marauder

Post by VT-16 »

Let's see, more tech info on the Pelta-class frigate, a new tug boat, and a story that adds to the suspence by focusing mostly on characters who's fates are uncertain. Wow, wish most episodes were like that. :mrgreen:
TC Pilot
Jedi Council Member

Post by TC Pilot »

"Characters whose fates are uncertain"? Ashoka's the only one whose death hasn't already been recorded yet.

But still, very good episode.
"He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot, but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."

"Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero."
VT-16
Sith Marauder

Post by VT-16 »

Barriss was killed in the ROTS comic, the same comic that "killed" Quinlan Vos. Color me sceptic. :wink:
Old Plympto
Jedi Master

Post by Old Plympto »

I can't believe a second episode with a focus on Ahsoka and Barriss Offee and an invasion of the 1950s horror-movie brain worms of doom can be so bloody enjoyable. I hope we see more of the Elvistrooper and hell, now I want a Pelta-class frigate sourcebook / floorplans.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

I could've done without the dicking around in vents, they're an overused trope that needs to die. But yeah, this was a very cool episode. Anakin pulling a Vader was really awesome to see.

Re: "Elvistrooper" though - there's only so many things that Temuera Morrison can do with hair like. I hope they keep that in mind. :P
Old Plympto
Jedi Master

Post by Old Plympto »

Vympel wrote:Re: "Elvistrooper" though - there's only so many things that Temuera Morrison can do with hair like. I hope they keep that in mind. :P
I'm patiently awaiting the Jules-Winnfieldtrooper. :D
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Fuck, typo. I meant hair like that.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

So I watched the rerun of "Cargo of Doom" tonight (EDIT: Friday night, duh :oops: ), and I swear they edited the death of that Rodian Jedi Master. When Bane tells the droid to hit him with max power, you cut to the droid dialing down the meter, and you can hear it spooling down as well. And yet I'm 100% certain that not only did they show the power bar max out, they also showed the Rodian getting zapped. I also think they did something similar when Bane was zapping Ahsoka waiting for Anakin to come rescue her, but I'm less certain on that.

So, am I remembering wrong, or did CN censor it a bit?
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Post by Ritterin Sophia »

Vympel wrote:We already knew that from the movies - Destroyer droids push their guns through their own shields to fire. And last season, Ashoka sticks her lightsabre through the shield, then turns it on, to destroy one.

Still haven't seen the episode. It's aired twice this week, and no bastard's capped it.
I'm kind of perturbed about that, I always though if it had enough energy to stop a blaster it should have enough to fry you.
A Certain Clique, HAB, The Chroniclers