SGU 110: "Justice" (Spoilers)

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

How do you rate this episode?

5 - Ba'al, last of the goa'uld system lords, murderer of countless millions, these shall be your last words, speak!
47%
4 - For the crimes against the living host, and all those you have murdered and enslaved, the sentence is death.
39%
3 - According to our calculations, the Atlantis expedition is responsible – directly or indirectly – for the deaths of over two million people in this galaxy.
2%
2 - This Jaffa killed my father!
6%
1 - With it, he can revive Apophis even from death and torture him as long as he pleases. Surely a fate he justly deserves?
6%

Total votes: 49

NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

SGU 110: "Justice" (Spoilers)

Post by NecronLord »

Discussion for this week's episode of SGU.

Runner up quote for this week's poll was: "Fine. That sounds…fitting. We're going to hold a Mal Doran!"
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
DeTejas
Redshirt

Re: SGU 110: "Justice" (Spoilers)

Post by DeTejas »

i liked it
Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

Well..... :?

Gonna be consequences, somewhere along the line. And very likely not the wisest decision Young could have made -- what happens when Rush `returns from the dead` as it were? He got better? :P

Solid 4+
"Of course, what would really happen is that in Game 7, with the Red Sox winning 20-0 in the 9th inning, with two outs and two strikes on the last Cubs batter, a previously unseen meteor would strike the earth, instantly and forever wiping out all life on the planet, and forever denying the Red Sox a World Series victory..."
AndroAsc
Padawan Learner

Post by AndroAsc »

Fucking hell! Young, that bastard!!! Hey I knew Rush was a scheming bastard, never thought that Young could out-do Rush.

Obviously in the next episode(s), Rush will probably fix the spaceship and rejoins the destiny.
Kodiak
Jedi Master

Post by Kodiak »

AndroAsc wrote:Fucking hell! Young, that bastard!!! Hey I knew Rush was a scheming bastard, never thought that Young could out-do Rush.

Obviously in the next episode(s), Rush will probably fix the spaceship and rejoins the destiny.
I wouldn't necessarily think next episode, but more likely next season. I must say I'm liking Greer's character more and more as the show progresses.
Image PRFYNAFBTFCP
Captain of the MFS Frigate of Pizazz +2 vs. Douchebags - Est vicis pro nonnullus suscito vir

"Are you an idiot? What demand do you think there is for aircraft carriers that aren't government?" - Captain Chewbacca

"I keep my eighteen wives in wonderfully appointed villas by bringing the underwear of god to the heathens. They will come to know God through well protected goodies." - Gandalf

"There is no such thing as being too righteous to understand." - Darth Wong
Razaekel
Redshirt

Post by Razaekel »

I doubt he'll catch up in the next episode, it's more likely he'll catch up later on in the season. Still, I wouldn't want to be in his shoes.
Well, well, what do we have here?
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

this is not the last we've seen of him....

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

I was all meh about this episode, until the last 10 minutes or so, which just pushed it over the top in a good way.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Great mid-season finale. It's a more quiet cliffhanger than SG usually does, but I liked it a lot. Nice to see a number of things building since "Air" come to a head (Spencer, the Control Chair, the Rush/Young conflict).

5/5
Kodiak wrote: I must say I'm liking Greer's character more and more as the show progresses.

Yeah, he hasn't transformed into Ford 2.0 like everyone was afraid he would.
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

Senator's daughtor as the voice of reason on the tribunal....

wasn't bad either.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Tychu
Jedi Master

Post by Tychu »

Seeing as Rush has been hiding things from the crew before, I wouldn't be surprised that he knows the next few stops that the Destiny is going to make.

I can picture a Team arriving on planet and Rush waiting for them ready to give orders or yell at them for being extremely stupid
"Boring Conversation anyway" Han Solo

"What kinda archeologist carries a weapon........Bad Example" Colonel Jack O'Neil

"My name is Olo... Hans Olo" -Dr. Daniel Jackson

"Well you did make the Farmingdale Run in less than 12 parsecs" --Personal Quote

"Just popped out for lunch" - Rowan Atkinson as Mr. Bean
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

They left Rush next to a crashed alien ship, I can imagine that race coming to look for it and finding Rush. I'm sure he'll be back, he's a main castmember, and the freaking commercials show him in scenes that havn't happened yet.

Edit: What if he just fixed the alien ship and caught up with Destiny?
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
CaptJodan
Jedi Council Member

Post by CaptJodan »

A good episode all around. I figured Spencer would become some kind of major problem that the crew had to deal with, but instead he offs himself so we don't have to deal with him. I liked that they went the other direction with it. I also enjoyed that they gave you the answer right up front, but that this mystery of where the weapon went pushed it into an investigation.

Chloe got to do something useful this episode as well, which I liked. I do have trouble buying that she was the best candidate for the job, but her performance at that job seemed as competent as anyone, and she was able to lay into Wray on the morality what she was trying to do.

Wray, for her part, seems to be developing into only a semi-typical IOA bloodhound. Every time she talks to her contact back on Earth, she seems to me to be only a reluctant participant in their shenanigans. She does have ideas on how things should be run, but now that she's had experience in the big chair, she'll hopefully realize that her place really is as an adviser, not as a commander. Her bosses won't buy it, but I think she'll be more reluctant to try and split up the command structure as she's been ordered to.

Young was the consummate professional in this episode right up until he confronted Rush, but I'm not sure I can fully blame him for his actions. What he did was a dick move, but I don't think Young had any intention of leaving Rush on the planet until Rush uttered the lines "well never be done". At that moment, Young realized that Rush was going to oppose him at every turn and continue to try and remove him by any means necessary. Young's only real, competent choice at that point was to bring him back to the Destiny and lock him up, but I imagine that he thought that impractical (plus he was still pissed off about all that had happened, so emotion played into it). I'm not sure I can hate Young for his actions, even though I do fundamentally disapprove of those actions.

So far, that chair is definitely not people friendly. But then I didn't really expect it to be on the first go. I was still hoping it'd be more of a command chair than a headsucker but in chair form, but apparently they're really going for the headsucker angle.

Overall, I give this a solid or upper grade 4. Given the overall quality of the show thus far, I'm still expecting to see an episode that tops this one, and 5's are reserved for those episodes. However, this is the best episode since Light, and is really probably better than that episode. A mid-season finale that promises some interesting interactions later on down the road.
It's Jodan, not Jordan. If you can't quote it right, I will mock you.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Tychu wrote:Seeing as Rush has been hiding things from the crew before, I wouldn't be surprised that he knows the next few stops that the Destiny is going to make.
Or if he's carrying a Kino DHD as a precaution in case something like this happened. If not, then Chewie's right, he has handy dandy alien spaceship to figure out how to operate. Rush will obviously be back and the crew's reaction once they realize what Young did is going to be interesting. Rush is as universally disliked as Spencer -- and understandable given he stranded them there in the first place -- but seeing how the wind's blowing, the civilians may end up even more anti-military and lead to a potential mutiny that things eem to be building towards.
CaptJodan
Jedi Council Member

Post by CaptJodan »

JME2 wrote: ...but seeing how the wind's blowing, the civilians may end up even more anti-military and lead to a potential mutiny that things eem to be building towards.
This is something else that SGU seems to be making up for Atlantis in. The line I always heard when Atlantis began to air was that we'd see more conflict between military and civilian. Of course that rarely happened, and Weir eventually became John's bitch. Even McKay, who was always disdainful of the military warmed up pretty well. There was rarely that tension between the two sides. SGU is doing a better job with playing to that military vs. civilian angle, with a CO who refuses to turn the ship into a martial law situation. Good stuff.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

CaptJodan wrote:
JME2 wrote: ...but seeing how the wind's blowing, the civilians may end up even more anti-military and lead to a potential mutiny that things eem to be building towards.
This is something else that SGU seems to be making up for Atlantis in. The line I always heard when Atlantis began to air was that we'd see more conflict between military and civilian.
Yeah, that always dissapointed me about SGA too. The civilian-military relationship/conflict has been a key part of the franchise since the original movie. The Atlantis Expedition being cut off could have allowed for a much greater emphasis on that theme, which is what we're getting here.
Anguirus
Sith Marauder

Post by Anguirus »

How has nobody mentioned the mysterious "other" footage yet? I wonder if that played a role in Young's decision to abandon Rush. Of course, it's also totally in character for him, as we saw in the episode previous.

Also, anyone else wondering at a possible connection between the two alien ships we've seen so far? I can't tell if they are the same design.
"I spit on metaphysics, sir."

"I pity the woman you marry." -Liberty

This is the guy they want to use to win over "young people?" Are they completely daft? I'd rather vote for a pile of shit than a Jesus freak social regressive.
Here's hoping that his political career goes down in flames and, hopefully, a hilarious gay sex scandal.
-Tanasinn
You can't expect sodomy to ruin every conservative politician in this country. -Battlehymn Republic
My blog, please check out and comment! http://decepticylon.blogspot.com
Ruixituh
Redshirt

Post by Ruixituh »

I don't think this "new ship" will be the connector to Rush's return.
It might be a stupid idea but: Let's not forget that the Destiny can jump to FDL, travelling at "almost" the speed of light.
Do you think the ship that they found on the episode, has the capability of catching up? I don't.
I think Rush will spend his time investigating the ship, while the crew members in the Destiny try to find a way of bringing him back, while they keep keen on exploring and surviving.
Eventually, during the season, the guy who got drilled by the chair, while snap out of it, bringing with him tons of information that will allow them to rescue/help Rush.
Ok ok. I agree. The crew doesn't like Rush. Why the hell would they bring him back?
Well, for starters, they don't like leaving people behind because they don't like them. (example: Despite not liking Spencer, the crew wasn't fully composed until they knew who killed him). Also, they know that Rush is the person that will allow them to get to Earth, if they can even do it. Let's not forget that Rush is the most familiarized with the Ancient language and that he knows a lot more then he tells.

I liked the episode. It was better then previous ones, and left me wanting to know more. Shame that the season will only be back in April.
Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

It's interesting that Eli has become the defacto spy for Young, with him recording everything with those damned remotes -- not to mention having him checking everything Rush had been doing (ship's status, the gate experiment, etc etc) Young asking him for a copy of that footage and then deleting it, isnt probably the best move either. Just exactly who is he planning on blackmailing anyway ? A 'dead' man? CYA materiel in the event they ever make it home? Definite kudos to the writers though for this arc.

Gonna be a long wait for new episodes :)
"Of course, what would really happen is that in Game 7, with the Red Sox winning 20-0 in the 9th inning, with two outs and two strikes on the last Cubs batter, a previously unseen meteor would strike the earth, instantly and forever wiping out all life on the planet, and forever denying the Red Sox a World Series victory..."
Kodiak
Jedi Master

Post by Kodiak »

Burak Gazan wrote:Young asking him for a copy of that footage and then deleting it, isnt probably the best move either. Just exactly who is he planning on blackmailing anyway ? A 'dead' man? CYA materiel in the event they ever make it home?
To me it came across that Young is such a professional that he plans on making a full report to his superiors and in the end he'll use the footage to justify why he marooned Rush on that planet.
Image PRFYNAFBTFCP
Captain of the MFS Frigate of Pizazz +2 vs. Douchebags - Est vicis pro nonnullus suscito vir

"Are you an idiot? What demand do you think there is for aircraft carriers that aren't government?" - Captain Chewbacca

"I keep my eighteen wives in wonderfully appointed villas by bringing the underwear of god to the heathens. They will come to know God through well protected goodies." - Gandalf

"There is no such thing as being too righteous to understand." - Darth Wong
Jade Owl
Padawan Learner

Post by Jade Owl »

Kodiak wrote:
Burak Gazan wrote:Young asking him for a copy of that footage and then deleting it, isnt probably the best move either. Just exactly who is he planning on blackmailing anyway ? A 'dead' man? CYA materiel in the event they ever make it home?
To me it came across that Young is such a professional that he plans on making a full report to his superiors and in the end he'll use the footage to justify why he marooned Rush on that planet.
Given the fact that they didn’t tell Wray or anyone else what Rush did, I’m guessing that he ordered Eli to destroy the tape so they’d never find out. If anyone else found out what Rush did, all the doubts would come up again when the rest of the crew assumed (correctly) that Young marooned Rush on purpose. So Young’s making sure he’s the only one that has personal control of that evidence. He evidently trusts Eli and Scott to not say anything.
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.

Salvor Hardin, Isaac Asimov "Bridle and Saddle" (aka "The Mayors", in Foundation), 1942.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Jade Owl wrote:
Kodiak wrote:
Given the fact that they didn’t tell Wray or anyone else what Rush did, I’m guessing that he ordered Eli to destroy the tape so they’d never find out. If anyone else found out what Rush did, all the doubts would come up again when the rest of the crew assumed (correctly) that Young marooned Rush on purpose. So Young’s making sure he’s the only one that has personal control of that evidence. He evidently trusts Eli and Scott to not say anything.
Yeah. Scott's absolutely loyal to Young, but as to Eli...despite his civilian status, he's been in the military camp since the pilot and as "Darkness" emphasized. It's clear he was uncomfortable following Young's orders to destroy the evidence; I think he had a suspicion as to what really happened. This could end up planting seeds of doubt in Eli and driving him back into the civilian camp as we enter the second half of the season.
CaptJodan
Jedi Council Member

Post by CaptJodan »

Ok, slight rant I remembered I wanted to go into.

One thing I forgot to make clear in my review that continues to grate on me a bit is the lack of bringing someone competent to Destiny via the stones. I'm not exactly just speaking of McKay or Carter or various other competents, but rather just the damned obvious idea of bringing a real doctor every now and then on board to help TJ, and maybe even help train her (albeit still with obvious limits) to do more complex tasks medically. The fact that the show actually considered bringing in an expert to help determine if it was suicide or not, but still does NOT consider bringing in a medical expert when someone falls ill that is out of TJ's league is just annoying.

I understand the concept. If TJ was being rescued by some doctor on Earth all the time, then TJ becomes useless, and the struggles she's put through to keep the crew healthy are meaningless. The writers don't want her becoming almost useless, so people conveniently forget that they probably cam get ANY medical specialist they need on the phone/stone and make clear and concise diagnoses. So I understand their reasoning for it, but it's still a glaring issue.

I suppose it's the same issue others keep coming up with about using the stones to bring Carter or McKay aboard, but I'm actually more willing to forgive that than this. The two "smartest people in the world" might be busy somewhere else, and up until this point, Rush has at least SEEMED to know what he was doing. In addition, we did get an episode where supposed experts in ancienty stuff did arrive to help, and for all we know they knew what they were talking about.

I'm not saying TJ is doing a bad job...she seems to be doing a fantastic job given the circumstances. But if I had a choice between her and a real doctor, especially a doctor the caliber of Frasier or Lam who have experience with alien shit, I'd want them trying to treat me or at least giving TJ advice on how to try to treat me, rather than going with the medic.
Oskuro
Sith Devotee

Post by Oskuro »

It might be possible that TJ is consulting SGC specialists offscreen when she faces something she's not sure how to handle. I would be reasonable for them to try and have her do her job and improve her skills rather than depend on the stones, just in case an emergency comes up and the stones are not available.
unsigned
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Does Scott know what Rush did? I thought Eli said he was the only one who saw what happened.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage