SW vs 40K

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Re: SW vs 40K

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

PainRack wrote: The point being raised by Shroom was that Imperium pyskers are superior to high end force users, and to do so..... he points to Daemonhosts?
In the last post of page 1, Fingolfin mentioned daemonhost and so my reply in the first post of page 2 talked about Daemonhosts. :P
I'm not disputing that the Imperium pyskers outnumber force-users. I'm questioning Shroom implication that there exists a large core of high end Imperium pyskers capable of manifesting warp combat powers via the Black Ships. The density of combat pyskers isn't as high as Shroom implies. Most of them are tied up in the clerical aspects of keeping the Imperium running.
In the Wars movies, I only saw two people who could throw lightning at people. I don't know how frequent they are in the EU. Whereas in 40k, it seems like guys who throw stuff like lightning and fire and ice occur more frequently even as mooks. Now, I can't exactly quantify worth shit, but it seems like there are more Inquisitors, Sanctioned Psykers, and Librarians who can throw offensive powers out there than the paltry few depicted so far in what I've seen of Star Wars.

Even if the vast majority of psykers get used as sacrifices or as communications equipment (and they are used so), the sheer numbers of psykers employed in 40k means that even a microscopic minority percentage of combat-capable fireball-throwing psykers will measure up to a lot of individuals.

Besides, how many Force users does the CIS have? How many Jedi circa the Prequels actually do manifest offensive powers?
All of these CAN"T manifest warp powers. They are able to use pyschic attacks and they are expected to be able to defend against telepathy and other pyschic attacks but that's it. And they're more along the lines of Force Suggestion, Minor mind control and etc than anything, if they do manifest any such offensive powers.
The Imperium afterall frowns on the training and the use of such capabilities.
Inquisitors routinely have such powers, or at least have a few in their retinue who do. Some of the Inquisitors are powerful enough to take on Daemonhosts (and die).

Now the number of psykers who do manifest powers might be in the minority, but just the sheer numbers of psykers used in the Imperium (from everything like ritual sacrifice to insterstellar communications) means that even as a minority, these numbers are still going to be staggering.
Sanctioned psykers to the IG are combat capable. HOWEVER, alone, these "no name" pyskers aren't able to manifest warp powers in the extent of throwing around fireballs and etc on their own.
I don't know about the IG psykers, but quite a bunch of no name unremarkable badguy mooks in 40k have thrown around fireballs and ice balls by their lonesome. Some kid in Innocence Proves Nothing killed a few people by hurling ore at them, and the Inquisitor's girlfriend there loves throwing fire at people. None of this is seen as remarkable in-universe, however.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

PainRack wrote:[
I'm not disputing that the Imperium pyskers outnumber force-users. I'm questioning Shroom implication that there exists a large core of high end Imperium pyskers capable of manifesting warp combat powers via the Black Ships. The density of combat pyskers isn't as high as Shroom implies. Most of them are tied up in the clerical aspects of keeping the Imperium running.
Every single Imperium warship/transport must have an astropath.
No they don't.
The Imperium transports may do without, but ships expected to go beyond normal routes and respond flexibly such as the Black Ships and etc have them too. Every single Imperial world requires one pysker for communications. The adminstration must have more simply just to handle the influx of data and logistics. Indeed, the scarcity of pyskers and intersteller communication does more to explain why the Imperium logistics network is inefficient and why Imperial Guard regiments aren't routinely built up with reinforcements from the homeworlds.
And then the Astronomican also require psykers in the numbers of thousands on Terra alone, and there are choir relay beacons scattered throughout the Imperium.
All of these CAN"T manifest warp powers. They are able to use pyschic attacks and they are expected to be able to defend against telepathy and other pyschic attacks but that's it. And they're more along the lines of Force Suggestion, Minor mind control and etc than anything, if they do manifest any such offensive powers.
Totally false. Astropaths are, in general, low end psykers. They exist in the billions, compared to the Jedi Order which at best reaches double digit thousands, and while many of them aren't much use as combatants, some of them possess formidable telepathic and telekinetic abilities.
The Imperium afterall frowns on the training and the use of such capabilities.
False. That's what psykers are good for. The Imperium encourages fear of witches to make sure all psykers are reported and controlled, not because they don't want their tame ones kicking enemy ass.
Sanctioned psykers to the IG are combat capable. HOWEVER, alone, these "no name" pyskers aren't able to manifest warp powers in the extent of throwing around fireballs and etc on their own.
False. You're using game mechanics where Sanctioned Psykers are organized into squads to generalize about the universe, which is like saying the C'tan aren't that bad because they only cost the same amount as a few platoons of guardsmen and a few lascannons can bring one down. Like many other entities, psykers are nerfed into the floor in table top. In universe, Sanctioned Psykers vary in power and experience and are managed as units because they are unusual and extremely powerful troops that require special handling. They can, and do, unleash all kinds of warpy hell on the enemy.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

In the Dawn of War games, individual sanctioned psykers can totally shoot lightning at people too. :)
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:Contrary to popular opinion, it's more likely Jerec would have burnt himself out using that much Force. Even the Emperor, for all his damn glory, couldn't contain the Dark Side Energies well that he had to have clone bodies by the dozens
"Contrary to popular opinion, and every single source, here's my opinion"

The sources imply quite strongly that Jerec's plan would work. There's no reason to think he, having attained omniscience, couldn't overcome that problem.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

I would like to point out that the 'fact' that Grievious could and would actually gut Palpatine preposterous. The idea that Palpatine didn't have a fail safe in place to prevent this, even if completely incapacitated, is asinine.

That said, carry on.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:I was just using that city to form a basis for the "standard" hive city.
Hive Sibellus is far from typical. While I can't blame you for not knowing this, the prescence of the Tricorn, with at least one squad of Grey Knights present, should have given that away. Beyond merely being the seat of the subsector Governor, Hive Sibellus is the capital of a somewhat beleagured (though not war torn) sector, and home of a major ongoing Inquisition prescence.

More importantly, for our needs, it was likely laid down by the Adranti, a technologically superior culture that was exterminated (presumably by numbers) during the Angevin Crusade; they also built Ambulon, one of the cities on Scintilla, which has legs and walks - Scintilla can't be taken as typical. Incidentally, there are many other Ambulons on Scintilla, but all are dead and skeletal, there are rumours of more operational ones on a dead, hostile world called Klybo, though cloud cover or other factors have prevented conclusive arguments.

Interestingly, despite its vast size, Sibellus can't have a population of more than twenty five billion (the population of Scintilla, including Hive Tarsus, Gunmetal City and Ambulon) which would imply that most of its thousand-mile wide bulk is probably empty; perhaps Scintilla suffered a major plague or disaster in comparatively recent times, or most of Sibellus is Adranti ruins.

Of course, really, this is just because the discriptions and the statlines are written by seperate people, and the latter appears to have been a minimalist.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Havok wrote:I would like to point out that the 'fact' that Grievious could and would actually gut Palpatine preposterous. The idea that Palpatine didn't have a fail safe in place to prevent this, even if completely incapacitated, is asinine.

That said, carry on.
Err, he also had no precautions in place to prevent the ship being accidentally destroyed, as would have happened had Anakin not been able to get it under control. The man was positively reckless with his personal safety, perhaps due to his foresight revealing how events would turn out ahead of time.
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

Imperial Overlord wrote: No they don't.
So, you're arguing that Imperial warships don't have an astropath on board? Evidence?
Totally false. Astropaths are, in general, low end psykers. They exist in the billions, compared to the Jedi Order which at best reaches double digit thousands, and while many of them aren't much use as combatants, some of them possess formidable telepathic and telekinetic abilities.
Using the rare exception to the norm does not show that the majority of these pyskers can fight in combat.
False. That's what psykers are good for. The Imperium encourages fear of witches to make sure all psykers are reported and controlled, not because they don't want their tame ones kicking enemy ass.
Really? Evidence that the Imperium ACTUALLY trains the majority of its pyskers to manifest warp powers? As it is, its explictly stated in the 2nd edition that a huge proportion of the Black Harvest is unsuitable for such combat due to the risk of chaos. Pyskers require deeper mental discipline so as to handle such powers.
False. You're using game mechanics where Sanctioned Psykers are organized into squads to generalize about the universe, which is like saying the C'tan aren't that bad because they only cost the same amount as a few platoons of guardsmen and a few lascannons can bring one down. Like many other entities, psykers are nerfed into the floor in table top. In universe, Sanctioned Psykers vary in power and experience and are managed as units because they are unusual and extremely powerful troops that require special handling. They can, and do, unleash all kinds of warpy hell on the enemy.
And in universe, most sanctioned psykers don't do shit. Let's start.
1. The pysker in Killing Grounds? Utterly cookoo and no combat manifestation of powers. She's sucks even as an intelligence agent.
2. Amberly pet pysker? Cain doesn't even trust her with a pistol, much less powers.
3. The Warmaster pet pyskers? AGAIN the same.

The list goes on and on. Show me evidence that the majority of sanctioned psykers attached to the IG DO manifest combat powers. If anything, I'm NOT using combat mechanics, where sanctioned pyskers do manifest warp powers.
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

PainRack wrote:
Imperial Overlord wrote: No they don't.
So, you're arguing that Imperial warships don't have an astropath on board? Evidence?
You didn't say warships, you said ships in general. Chartist vessels make up a large amount of Imperial shipping.
Using the rare exception to the norm does not show that the majority of these pyskers can fight in combat.
You said they can't. That some of them can proves your statement wrong.

Really? Evidence that the Imperium ACTUALLY trains the majority of its pyskers to manifest warp powers? As it is, its explictly stated in the 2nd edition that a huge proportion of the Black Harvest is unsuitable for such combat due to the risk of chaos. Pyskers require deeper mental discipline so as to handle such powers.
The unsuitable psykers are fed to the Emperor, power the Astronomican, and are soul bonded as Astropaths. Astropaths are trained and the others die within months. Any psyker out in the world is trained to manifest their powers and any powering the Astronomican is manifesting psychic abilities. Yes, they all are trained to use powers. If you meant not all of them are trained as combatants, then you are correct but that's not what you said.
And in universe, most sanctioned psykers don't do shit. Let's start.
1. The pysker in Killing Grounds? Utterly cookoo and no combat manifestation of powers. She's sucks even as an intelligence agent.
2. Amberly pet pysker? Cain doesn't even trust her with a pistol, much less powers.
3. The Warmaster pet pyskers? AGAIN the same.
Only in Death the psykers route an army without using any direct combat powers. There are other ways that psychic abilities are useful besides direct combat. Not that they're necessarily slouches in that department. Ravenor a single Gamma grade Sanctioned Psyker is flipping cars and blowing out windows across a hive block as a side effect of telepathic combat with Ravenor's avatar. I'm sure you don't need to be told how divination and telepathy can be more military useful that a few TK tricks. Sanctioned Psyker performance varies. Gamma isn't even close to top of the line.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
Lupercal
Redshirt

Post by Lupercal »

In the Ravenor series, the sub-sector trade agency in Eustis Majoris employs some pretty powerful psykers to chase after Ravenor and his retinue. Even a lowly cult manages to contract a fairly powerful psyker to get hold of a protodemon or something.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

PainRack wrote: 2. Amberly pet pysker? Cain doesn't even trust her with a pistol, much less powers.
Cain doesn't trust anyone with anything, man. The man is so goddamn paranoid and is such a colossal asshole that the stuff written in his POV is certainly not objective.

Besides, I was referencing the pet psyker girl in the Scourge the Heretic and Innocence Proves Nothing stories, also by Sandy Mitchell. She throws around pyrokinetics pretty well, and the firefight in a psyker prison break out, we see a whole bunch of unsanctioned psykers exhibiting offensive powers - and that's just from one paltry world's Black Ship quota.
Necron Lord wrote:Hive Sibellus is far from typical. While I can't blame you for not knowing this, the prescence of the Tricorn, with at least one squad of Grey Knights present, should have given that away. Beyond merely being the seat of the subsector Governor, Hive Sibellus is the capital of a somewhat beleagured (though not war torn) sector, and home of a major ongoing Inquisition prescence.
I was unaware of how prominent that particular sector was, and I assumed that many of the other 40k sector capitals in the many other sectors in the Imperium would be similar to Hive Sibellus - with big cities, lots of hubs of commerce, and even their own regional Inquisition HQ with assorted backup (such as the Knights).

Where does this background fluff on the Scintillan history come from? It wasn't mentioned in the Sandy Mitchell books.
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

Shroom Man 777 wrote: Besides, I was referencing the pet psyker girl in the Scourge the Heretic and Innocence Proves Nothing stories, also by Sandy Mitchell. She throws around pyrokinetics pretty well, and the firefight in a psyker prison break out, we see a whole bunch of unsanctioned psykers exhibiting offensive powers - and that's just from one paltry world's Black Ship quota.
And guess what? Her skills were entirely on par with what Kyp Duron HAD done as an untrained boy too. More importantly, how on earth does this mean that the majority of pyskers are capable of manifesting warp powers and fling fireballs, lightning and shit on the battlefield?

As for the second story, may I remind you that IIRC, unrestrainted use of warpcraft by untrained pyskers risks the taint of Chaos madness?
You didn't say warships, you said ships in general. Chartist vessels make up a large amount of Imperial shipping.
Excuse me.
You quoted me.
Every single Imperium warship/transport must have an astropath.
I even specifically stated in the second sentence that The Imperium transports may do without, but ships expected to go beyond normal routes and respond flexibly such as the Black Ships and etc have them too.
You said they can't. That some of them can proves your statement wrong.
That's...... nitpicking. My point of contention is that Shroom argument, that the Black Ship harvest= a lot of Imperium psykers can manifest warp powers is misleading, in particular, the flinging of fireballs.
The unsuitable psykers are fed to the Emperor, power the Astronomican, and are soul bonded as Astropaths. Astropaths are trained and the others die within months. Any psyker out in the world is trained to manifest their powers and any powering the Astronomican is manifesting psychic abilities. Yes, they all are trained to use powers. If you meant not all of them are trained as combatants, then you are correct but that's not what you said.
I need to make explicit that when I'm talking about warp powers, I'm not talking about manifestations of pyschic powers. That would be contradictory. I'm talking about fullscale manifestation of the warp, such as warpfire, throwing around lightning balls and etc.
Only in Death the psykers route an army without using any direct combat powers. There are other ways that psychic abilities are useful besides direct combat. Not that they're necessarily slouches in that department. Ravenor a single Gamma grade Sanctioned Psyker is flipping cars and blowing out windows across a hive block as a side effect of telepathic combat with Ravenor's avatar. I'm sure you don't need to be told how divination and telepathy can be more military useful that a few TK tricks. Sanctioned Psyker performance varies. Gamma isn't even close to top of the line.
And? No one is contending that Imperium pyskers can't do TK and Telepathy, although I will argue that Astropaths don't do it. My argument was that
1. Pyskers capable of combat aren't the majority of the Black Ship harvest, so, a huge number of pyskers isn't present in the Imperium, especially when one considers the scale of the Imperium.
2. No name pyskers manifesting warp powers are relatively rare in the Imperium. They outnumber SW for certain.

So far, your points are that hey, Imperium pyskers can use pyschic attacks. I already explictly stated that they can. Is this supposed to be another concession from me?
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

NecronLord wrote:
Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:Contrary to popular opinion, it's more likely Jerec would have burnt himself out using that much Force. Even the Emperor, for all his damn glory, couldn't contain the Dark Side Energies well that he had to have clone bodies by the dozens
"Contrary to popular opinion, and every single source, here's my opinion"

The sources imply quite strongly that Jerec's plan would work. There's no reason to think he, having attained omniscience, couldn't overcome that problem.
How so? Dorsk 81 died using that much Force. Why should it be different for Jerec?

If there's only one way for him to survive? Is to become something similar to Darth Nihilus, who happens to be more armor than man.
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

PainRack wrote:And guess what? Her skills were entirely on par with what Kyp Duron HAD done as an untrained boy too. More importantly, how on earth does this mean that the majority of pyskers are capable of manifesting warp powers and fling fireballs, lightning and shit on the battlefield?

As for the second story, may I remind you that IIRC, unrestrainted use of warpcraft by untrained pyskers risks the taint of Chaos madness?

That's...... nitpicking. My point of contention is that Shroom argument, that the Black Ship harvest= a lot of Imperium psykers can manifest warp powers is misleading, in particular, the flinging of fireballs.
Shroom Man 777 wrote:Now, I can't exactly quantify worth shit, but it seems like there are more Inquisitors, Sanctioned Psykers, and Librarians who can throw offensive powers out there than the paltry few depicted so far in what I've seen of Star Wars.

Even if the vast majority of psykers get used as sacrifices or as communications equipment (and they are used so), the sheer numbers of psykers employed in 40k means that even a microscopic minority percentage of combat-capable fireball-throwing psykers will measure up to a lot of individuals.

Besides, how many Force users does the CIS have? How many Jedi circa the Prequels actually do manifest offensive powers?

Now the number of psykers who do manifest powers might be in the minority, but just the sheer numbers of psykers used in the Imperium (from everything like ritual sacrifice to insterstellar communications) means that even as a minority, these numbers are still going to be staggering.
PainRack wrote:2. No name pyskers manifesting warp powers are relatively rare in the Imperium. They outnumber SW for certain.
Yes.

Whatever percentage of offensive-capable psykers are in the Imperium's service (be it minority or majority or minimajority or majorminority), they are still depicted as being far more commonly occuring than Jedi force-users who can throw around lightning and fireballs.
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

I was wondering something about psykers. Yes they are impressive but thats because they are people with superpowers. A federation shuttlecraft with phasers, shields, transporters, replicators etc has plenty of very potent "magic" powers as well yet its virtually worthless against SW foes. Now think of the psyker as a battlefield unit just like any infantry, tank or aircraft.Ask yourself the following question.How does a common psyker stack up against a droideka ? A droideka has deadly accurate blasters that probably are far more powerful than lightning outta your fingers and has got an impenetrable energy shield protecting them. A vanilla psyker is just a guy with a built in pistol that has shitty range up against a walking tank with long range rapid firing autocannons. And droidekas exist in limitless numbers. You could pit a hundred or a thousand or ten thousand droidekas against one psyker. Superior quality and mass production gurantees victory !
I have to tell you something everything I wrote above is a lie.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Your psyker can drop a big rock on a droideka, or maneuver his troops around it through clairvoyance or precog, or play bowling with a group of droidekas. Some psykers are talented in being able to dodge incoming fire, just like Jedi, but even without the assistance of lightsaber and just by hopping out of the way of concentrated fire. Others are good enough to deflect incoming KE projectiles.

A lot of them would just die when they get shot in the face, like Jedi.

The whole point of bringing up psykers is just to compare them to the Wars' equivalent, the Jedi. The whole point is that there are possibly more offensive-capable psykers than the Jedi, and certainly more psykers who can throw fire and lightning than Jedi/Force users.

But yeah. This is also why the CIS guaranteed victory by pitting thousands of droidekas against single Jedi. :P
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

Sarevok wrote:I was wondering something about psykers. Yes they are impressive but thats because they are people with superpowers. A federation shuttlecraft with phasers, shields, transporters, replicators etc has plenty of very potent "magic" powers as well yet its virtually worthless against SW foes. Now think of the psyker as a battlefield unit just like any infantry, tank or aircraft.Ask yourself the following question.How does a common psyker stack up against a droideka ? A droideka has deadly accurate blasters that probably are far more powerful than lightning outta your fingers and has got an impenetrable energy shield protecting them. A vanilla psyker is just a guy with a built in pistol that has shitty range up against a walking tank with long range rapid firing autocannons. And droidekas exist in limitless numbers. You could pit a hundred or a thousand or ten thousand droidekas against one psyker. Superior quality and mass production gurantees victory !
Well, it really depends on the psyker. E.g., Droidekas are not protected from Telekinesis, so a Telekine will have a fieldday with them. Numerous psykers have anti-tank or at least anti-vehicle-level psypowers, so they could take on a Droideka even with DET.
Thats if we are talking about the ordinary imperial combat psyker - farseers, librarians etc. can easily blast dozens of droidekas.

However, no one is proposing to use psykers as main combat units - they are force multiplieres.
This is of course true for all those support-powers, but also for the combat powers.
Psykers can easily eleminate enemy leaders, they can zap whole enemy squads and protect from enemy psypowers.
They are also an excellent terrorweapon.

So, a low-level combat psyker has the same function as specialised weapons - they are force multipliers for specific situations, depending on their powers. They won't win you a war, but they will help you win parts of the battle.
SoS:NBA GALE Force
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The world owes you nothing but painful lessons" - CaptainChewbacca
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Divine Administration - of Gods and Bureaucracy (Worm/Exalted)
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Variable, though. Some (many) psykers are easily susceptible to getting killed with bullets or lasers. They're not an end all be all, just another resource of the Imperium for them to use effectively or ineffectively.

How can terror weapons work on the CIS when its infantry are robots? Oh wait, those squeaky roger-rogers do also end up getting frightened too! :lol:
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

As for Psyker vs. Jedi:
Most psykers deployed in the field could just zap the Jedi from a distance - a lightsaber is a of little use against telekinetic bolts, mindrape or being set on fire.
Only more powerfull Jedi (e.g. Obi-Wan during AotC) can mount enough resistance to such direct attacks to deter them completely.
Most psykers would fall relatively fast in close combat against most Jedi. However, the more powerfull psykers of the Guard, Librarians, Eldar Pskyer etc. could propably hold their own against a Jedi.
They tend to have at least minor combat-enhancing powers and/or specialised combat training. Force-Weapons (or powerweapons in general) are not cuttable by lightsabers, so you would get an actual fight.
Given that most powerfull psykers have some kind of forcefield-generator (technological), they would also be better protected than the Jedi (some of those things can deter lascannons or melters, tough thats high-end stuff - but most of them protect well against melee attacks).

If we are talking about powerfull Jedi (RotS Obi Wan, Darth Vader, Yoda, Palapatine) in direct combat (where they do not use their Uber-powers), sufficiently trained&equipped psykers could be an actual threat to them.
Given the right power, they could actually die relatively fast, and they could hold a while in close combat (remember, they hace actual protection in the form of forcefields).
However, i am assuming that they could counter most psy-based attacks, and they could overwhelm most psykers in close combat, so the psykers would actually need superior numbers.

However, if we go into the realm of named&powerfull psykers, it get's really complicated.
Again, we have to determine if the psypowers are blocked. If they are not, then just about every SW-character is going to get killed by them.
If they are, things dissolve into close combat again. Remember that forceweapons match lightsabers and that forcefields offer protection even against lightsabers. So it comes down to skill, with an advantage for 40K (since they can acutally take hits).
Most psykers that do not enhance themself and are not Space Marines are more or less screwed against named SW-characters. However, quite a number of them can and do this. So it's pretty much a question of individual skill, and not really answerable.
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

Your psyker can drop a big rock on a droideka, or maneuver his troops around it through clairvoyance or precog, or play bowling with a group of droidekas. Some psykers are talented in being able to dodge incoming fire, just like Jedi, but even without the assistance of lightsaber and just by hopping out of the way of concentrated fire. Others are good enough to deflect incoming KE projectiles.
However Droidekas shields are strong enough to take most infantry weapons in SW. Which are already as powerful as small autocannons in real life IIRC. You will need a big rock traveling at speeds faster than a tank shell to have sufficient kinetic energy to kill a droideka. How many psykers can do that ? I was thinking about the average psyker here. High end ones I am sure will own droidekas.

Well the main problem here is that average psyker does not have too many tools at his or her disposal. As ranged weapons some limited telekinesis and elemental attacks are just a funky type of gun. It just happens to be built into a persons body instead of existing as a separate flamethrower, lightning gun or tractor beam projector. So a psyker is ultimately carrying a typical scifi video game gun with 3 alt-fire modes. It has less range and firepower than heavy weapons in SW used to combat Droideka like foes. To kill a Droideka a psyker will need the following.

1. Ability to shoot fireball / lightning several kilometers away since Droideka won't be polite enough to wait for the psyker to get close.

2. The bolts must be as strong as hand held anti armor missile weapons clonetroopers must use when facing droidekas without air or armored support.

3. And Psyker needs some kind of forcefield of his own. Two seconds in front of a droideka will turn anyone without shields or a lightsaber into a fast expanding vapor cloud.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

All those arguments can be equally applied to most Force users, who won't politely wait for Jedi to come close, who'll require anti-armor-grade (Force?) powers to destroy, and shielding to protect from their attacks.

But, ah, instead of throwing big rocks at them they could use their TK to throw the droidekas away instead. :)

Or get a Guardsman with a krak grenade, melta, missile launcher or lascannon to blow the droideka to scrap.
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

Well the fact Anakin just surrendered and Quigon and Obiwan just ran like the wind with Force Speed activated does not speak highly of Jedi effectiveness against Droidekas. :lol:

EDIT : Upon further reflection not a single droideka was killed by Jedi in the films. They must be highly badass.
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

Sarevok wrote:
However Droidekas shields are strong enough to take most infantry weapons in SW. Which are already as powerful as small autocannons in real life IIRC. You will need a big rock traveling at speeds faster than a tank shell to have sufficient kinetic energy to kill a droideka. How many psykers can do that ? I was thinking about the average psyker here. High end ones I am sure will own droidekas.

Well the main problem here is that average psyker does not have too many tools at his or her disposal. As ranged weapons some limited telekinesis and elemental attacks are just a funky type of gun. It just happens to be built into a persons body instead of existing as a separate flamethrower, lightning gun or tractor beam projector. So a psyker is ultimately carrying a typical scifi video game gun with 3 alt-fire modes. It has less range and firepower than heavy weapons in SW used to combat Droideka like foes. To kill a Droideka a psyker will need the following.

1. Ability to shoot fireball / lightning several kilometers away since Droideka won't be polite enough to wait for the psyker to get close.

2. The bolts must be as strong as hand held anti armor missile weapons clonetroopers must use when facing droidekas without air or armored support.

3. And Psyker needs some kind of forcefield of his own. Two seconds in front of a droideka will turn anyone without shields or a lightsaber into a fast expanding vapor cloud.
Conservation of Momentum.
It should make rock and pure telekinesis pretty effective even if they are stopped by the shields

Furthermore, we see Obi-Wan force-pushing shielded droidekas on the Malevolence - their shields do not work against direct telekinesis.
Weak telekinesis is avaiable to many psykers (some specialise in it, but most psykers have some). Ignore it's shields and disable the damn thing (or parts of it).

40K-handweapons are as strong (and some even stronger) than SW-weapons. Most psychic attacks are stronger than handweapons.
Even non-focussed psy-lightning can inceriate a human (focussed ones are stronger), and psykers generally unleash multiple bolts (if they have that power).

Where do you get "several kilometers" from? Are we pitching the Droideka against a psyker one one one on a flat plane?
Any realistic szenario is either in a confined enviorment, or a battle of larger forces - where the psyker is NOT alone.

Again, those attacks can be pretty strong - many battlefield-deployed psykers can take out 40K-tanks (which are again similar to SW-vehicles in strenght).

And as i said above, most psykers HAVE forcefield-generators. Which can be pretty strong, depending on the design.
Anyway, most of them are strong enough to withstand handheld weapons with ease and deter heavier weapons - often even anti-tank weapons.

Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Perhaps the complexity of manufacturing such small-scale shields for such a skinny-ass robot makes the Droideka quite expensive to manufacture, with high-grade electronics and such. Since if I were the CIS, I'd be replacing those shit B1s with a shitload of Droidekas.
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:Perhaps the complexity of manufacturing such small-scale shields for such a skinny-ass robot makes the Droideka quite expensive to manufacture, with high-grade electronics and such.
It does - obviously the reason why they are only deployed in small numbers as shocktroops, and why there are versions without shields.