Jedi/Dark Jedi vs Vampire from World of Darkness

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

lgot
Jedi Knight

Post by lgot »

Hmm... my last heavy play of Mage was first ed. Its my understanding that by third ed theyve been reduced to slightly-more-impressive Hedge Mages.
Frankly non-well explained loss of usefulness of spirit and move to umbra is beyond any good explanations.

We may never agree on WW vs SW HTH... but I think we can agree that both have gone downhill, in writing, over the years...
Oh, yeah. I loved for example books like Children of Inquisition or Kindred Most Wanted, or Chaos Factor, Vancouver by Night, Book of Worlds...recently the few books I enjoyed the reading are like the shifters books. Ratkin and Rokea are awesome in my opinion...

Xiophen:
By the way a 4th gen vampire can have level 9 in a discipline most generic 4th gen vamps I have seen as NPC and pcs have 7-9 points in a number of diciplines.
Yes he can. Only Shaitan had 9 in more than one disciplines and some like Helena, Neferiti, Tiamat and a few others dont even come close to that.
white wolf has some real bad background control though . they let too many interns write and rewrite the background with very limited control.
In the past they used to be good. The happenings there happened elsewhere, are easy to track, etc....now...
As for WW V SW in HH your any thing you throw at the higher levels of any WOD game from sw will get their butts kicked 9 times out of 10.
That is unlikely. Most things of White Wolf would not survive a hack-slash lightsaber. Of the list I put of 4th generation a lot of them would not even have fortitude to have a hope to do so. They would rather avoid than won the fight. Only the really top can have such "assured" won and I am of course letting Antidiluvians aside if you think a matter of single man combat.
Muffin is food. Food is good. I am a Muffin. I am good.
xiophen
Youngling

Post by xiophen »

lgot wrote:
Hmm... my last heavy play of Mage was first ed. Its my understanding that by third ed theyve been reduced to slightly-more-impressive Hedge Mages.
Frankly non-well explained loss of usefulness of spirit and move to umbra is beyond any good explanations.

We may never agree on WW vs SW HTH... but I think we can agree that both have gone downhill, in writing, over the years...
Oh, yeah. I loved for example books like Children of Inquisition or Kindred Most Wanted, or Chaos Factor, Vancouver by Night, Book of Worlds...recently the few books I enjoyed the reading are like the shifters books. Ratkin and Rokea are awesome in my opinion...

Ive been glancing through the books latly none of them have really caught my intrest I was disappointed they havnt done more since Ravnos woke and baba yaga was killed.

Xiophen:
Yes he can. Only Shaitan had 9 in more than one disciplines and some like Helena, Neferiti, Tiamat and a few others dont even come close to that.

most 4 th gens have at least on 9th. though tiamat one of those that the players are meant to fight so she was relativly tamed. but take any of those and you'll see stacked 7 point, 8 points and at least one 9 point disciplines.

The point being that once you get above 4 or 5 point in a discipline you get to power levels that most mortals can hardly ever come close to lasting a few minutes in combats with low gen vamps. I seriously doubt a jedi could match a vampire at high levels with any of a number of disciplines. low gens it will be a nice fight due to the fact that the jedi's one savior is the lightsabre to make up for the relative un agressive nature of their power sorry jedi';s wielding the force are no where near as threatening as a raging LUpine. A sith is a little more frightening but still a lupine is a more potent threat to a kindred.
In the past they used to be good. The happenings there happened elsewhere, are easy to track, etc....now...
Bad control of background material its prevailent in almost every Gaming company, WW, GW, Wizards of the coast all suffer from it in one fashion or another. Though Palladium doesnt have to worry about it cause they have funky background control as it is :lol: and steve jackson games dont bother with much background since they are still truer to the make your own world phillosophy.
That is unlikely. Most things of White Wolf would not survive a hack-slash lightsaber. Of the list I put of 4th generation a lot of them would not even have fortitude to have a hope to do so. They would rather avoid than won the fight. Only the really top can have such "assured" won and I am of course letting Antidiluvians aside if you think a matter of single man combat.
A hack and slash of a light sabre? BS and you know it the Lightsabre is the only thing that gives your jedi a hope against a low gen WOD creature. be it mage, Garu or kindred. The force just evens the playing field out a little makes it so a your jedi doesnt get raped nine ways to hell and back the lightsabre makes it so they can fight the above up until you through in the various weapons and equipment anything from white wolf can have. Weapon fetishes, magical equipment that make Lightsabre look weapon. Gun and then some sorry I doubt a jedi would be fast enough to stop brujah on celerity or a garuo raging from ripping him to shreds. the defined difference is Garu and kindred can survive damage that a lightsabre can dish out short of maybe a direct decapitation. your jedi have in cannon never shown a fraction of that resiliance. Everything your jedi has a garu of kindred can match in spades and beat. and Im sorry nothing jedi or sith will ever compare to a 4th gen charcater of a rank 5 garu both of which can dismatle cities if they wanted.
Dooey Jo
Sith Devotee

Post by Dooey Jo »

xiophen wrote: A hack and slash of a light sabre? BS and you know it the Lightsabre is the only thing that gives your jedi a hope against a low gen WOD creature. be it mage, Garu or kindred. The force just evens the playing field out a little makes it so a your jedi doesnt get raped nine ways to hell and back the lightsabre makes it so they can fight the above up until you through in the various weapons and equipment anything from white wolf can have. Weapon fetishes, magical equipment that make Lightsabre look weapon. Gun and then some sorry I doubt a jedi would be fast enough to stop brujah on celerity or a garuo raging from ripping him to shreds. the defined difference is Garu and kindred can survive damage that a lightsabre can dish out short of maybe a direct decapitation. your jedi have in cannon never shown a fraction of that resiliance. Everything your jedi has a garu of kindred can match in spades and beat. and Im sorry nothing jedi or sith will ever compare to a 4th gen charcater of a rank 5 garu both of which can dismatle cities if they wanted.
You do know what precognition is, right? It is something that vampires don't have, but the Jedi/Sith does. This means that they can know what the vampire will do before he does it. Maybe even before the vampire knows what he will do.

Joruus C'baoth used the Force to screw a guy's mind up so bad that the guy died. A Sith could use that ability to kill the vampire, or atleast do some serious damage to his head.

A good Jedi could use force push to keep the vampire away and throw his lightsabre at him. The Jedi can also move very fast (60-80 mph, Wong made a post about it some time ago), accelerate at over 100 G's and turn invisible. And I think there was a Sith once who made a star go nova and that's way beyond the powers of any Antediluvian.

And if the vampire can use shotguns and stuff, who says the Jedi can use thermal detonators, heavy blasters or maybe an UV-light :twisted: ?
"Nippon ichi, bitches! Boing-boing."
Mai smote the demonic fires of heck...

Faker Ninjas invented ninjitsu
Dahak
Emperor's Hand

Post by Dahak »

Dooey Jo wrote:
You do know what precognition is, right? It is something that vampires don't have, but the Jedi/Sith does. This means that they can know what the vampire will do before he does it. Maybe even before the vampire knows what he will do.

Joruus C'baoth used the Force to screw a guy's mind up so bad that the guy died. A Sith could use that ability to kill the vampire, or atleast do some serious damage to his head.

A good Jedi could use force push to keep the vampire away and throw his lightsabre at him. The Jedi can also move very fast (60-80 mph, Wong made a post about it some time ago), accelerate at over 100 G's and turn invisible. And I think there was a Sith once who made a star go nova and that's way beyond the powers of any Antediluvian.

And if the vampire can use shotguns and stuff, who says the Jedi can use thermal detonators, heavy blasters or maybe an UV-light :twisted: ?
Yawn...
All those funky thinks a vampire with the right disciplines can do, and do it better.
Telekinesis, yawn.
60-80 km/h? Yawn.
Invisibility? Yawn.

Your average low-gen vamp will toast the Jedi.
Great Dolphin Conspiracy - Chatter box
"Implications: we have been intercepted deliberately by a means unknown, for a purpose unknown, and transferred to a place unknown by a form of intelligence unknown. Apart from the unknown, everything is obvious." ZORAC
GALE Force Euro Wimp
Human dignity shall be inviolable. To respect and protect it shall be the duty of all state authority.
xiophen
Youngling

Post by xiophen »

Dooey Jo wrote:
xiophen wrote: A hack and slash of a light sabre? BS and you know it the Lightsabre is the only thing that gives your jedi a hope against a low gen WOD creature. be it mage, Garu or kindred. The force just evens the playing field out a little makes it so a your jedi doesnt get raped nine ways to hell and back the lightsabre makes it so they can fight the above up until you through in the various weapons and equipment anything from white wolf can have. Weapon fetishes, magical equipment that make Lightsabre look weapon. Gun and then some sorry I doubt a jedi would be fast enough to stop brujah on celerity or a garuo raging from ripping him to shreds. the defined difference is Garu and kindred can survive damage that a lightsabre can dish out short of maybe a direct decapitation. your jedi have in cannon never shown a fraction of that resiliance. Everything your jedi has a garu of kindred can match in spades and beat. and Im sorry nothing jedi or sith will ever compare to a 4th gen charcater of a rank 5 garu both of which can dismatle cities if they wanted.
Ohhh yes and we have seen them use this once maybe twice in cannon? You did know vampires on averae fight at combat speeds that is faster then any exhibited by jedi's or sith in cannon. and good move you know they vampire is firing a gun at you that has a rate of fir that is several times above that of a blaster, or just simply fires a shot gun at you the has an area affect sorry jedi's are goid but area affect has shown to beat that nifty lightsabre and since jedis do have Light sabre I assume WOd creatures have their own toys.
TK funny Vampires have that as well as a discipline and funnily enough get resitances to said atack sorry bludgeoning damage wont kill vampire.

going 80-80 mph thats only 3 time s the speed of a normal humans vampires can go upwards of 5 to 10 time human speed. Invisibility no problem certain vampires can see invisible creatures and become invisible themself. Yep a sith lord did but they need help with alot artifacts if I recall right. Can a sith lord or jedi survive a nuke strike? how about multiple ? an antedeluvian can.

Jedi already has a freebie weapon ala the light sabre with out it they would be toast even quicker with it you have a shot. as standard vampires on standard have a variety of weapons they can employ shotguns explosive etc.

Not to meantion boiling a persons blood, making them catch on fire, Rotting a persons limb off are just examples of attacks a jedi would have no defense for.
Marcus
Padawan Learner

Post by Marcus »

Varations Great
People Rooting for Own Team Win
Confusing

((In short, lets pick ONE Jedi, from Cannon, and ONE Cainite from Cannon, and let them have a fight. Both should be serious but not unique examples of the breed))
Skelron
Jedi Master

Post by Skelron »

Marcus wrote:While biblically appropois, Skelron, im not sure that the 'Mark of Caine' is enforced in WW, and thus may not translate to this debate.

Its always been tacitly assumed within the WW system that (assuming Caine exists) hes so many orders of magnitude beyond the player characters that no meaningful conflict is possible.
In the book that I Can't Spell, the Ericlyes Fragments. (Vampire Dark Ages Book of Nod), said to have been written by Caine himself, at least the early bits, mentions God placing the Mark on him, The Revelation's of the Dark Mother, (Lilith's Version of the Book of Nod) also mentions it. This the Holy work of Caine's Enemy, says no man can hurt him or else God will lay the smack down on that man. Rumours in the books that it never says Woman... only Man. It's in the Fluff.
From a review of the two Towers.... 'As for Gimli being comic relief, what if your comic relief had a huge axe and fells dozens of Orcs? That's a pretty cool comic relief. '
Dooey Jo
Sith Devotee

Post by Dooey Jo »

Dahak wrote: Yawn...
All those funky thinks a vampire with the right disciplines can do, and do it better.
Telekinesis, yawn.
60-80 km/h? Yawn.
Invisibility? Yawn.

Your average low-gen vamp will toast the Jedi.
Can the vampire make a star go nova? No he can't.

Dooey Jo
Sith Devotee

Post by Dooey Jo »

xiophen wrote:
Dooey Jo wrote:
Ohhh yes and we have seen them use this once maybe twice in cannon? You did know vampires on averae fight at combat speeds that is faster then any exhibited by jedi's or sith in cannon. and good move you know they vampire is firing a gun at you that has a rate of fir that is several times above that of a blaster, or just simply fires a shot gun at you the has an area affect sorry jedi's are goid but area affect has shown to beat that nifty lightsabre and since jedis do have Light sabre I assume WOd creatures have their own toys.
We saw them use it quite a lot in Aotc.
And it doesn't matter how fast the vampire moves, read the Mace vs Agent Smith thread. If the Jedi knows what the vampire will do, he just have to move his lightsabre to the place where the vampire will be a few moments later.

TK funny Vampires have that as well as a discipline and funnily enough get resitances to said atack sorry bludgeoning damage wont kill vampire.
They only have resistance if the caster is of a lower level. Who says the Jedi's attack is weaker?
going 80-80 mph thats only 3 time s the speed of a normal humans vampires can go upwards of 5 to 10 time human speed. Invisibility no problem certain vampires can see invisible creatures and become invisible themself. Yep a sith lord did but they need help with alot artifacts if I recall right. Can a sith lord or jedi survive a nuke strike? how about multiple ? an antedeluvian can.
Vampire invisibility isn't true invisibility, they just mess with the surrounding people's minds so they think that they don't see anything.
They didn't mention any artifacts. And I don't know what kind of artifacts they could have been, are there any in SW?

No he can't but the vampire doesn't have any nukes so that doesn't matter anyway. An antedeluvian can't survive sunlight but a Sith/Jedi can.

Jedi already has a freebie weapon ala the light sabre with out it they would be toast even quicker with it you have a shot. as standard vampires on standard have a variety of weapons they can employ shotguns explosive etc.

Not to meantion boiling a persons blood, making them catch on fire, Rotting a persons limb off are just examples of attacks a jedi would have no defense for.
They have to touch the person in order to make his flesh rot, and I'm pretty sure they have to concentrate for a while to make a persons blood boil.

Skelron
Jedi Master

Post by Skelron »

Dooey Jo wrote:
xiophen wrote:
Dooey Jo wrote:
We saw them use it quite a lot in Aotc.
And it doesn't matter how fast the vampire moves, read the Mace vs Agent Smith thread. If the Jedi knows what the vampire will do, he just have to move his lightsabre to the place where the vampire will be a few moments later.
Sorry erm no the Precog is good but not that good, a Vamp can litterally with Celerity be striking in one place, which the Jedi will need to have his Saber at, and within miliseconds striking at a completly different area, IT'S THAT FAST, and then again else where, and again elsewhere. so the Jedi knows where to move the Saber too next, big deal, he's got to get it there, faster than the Vampire can, and trust me he's not going to!
They only have resistance if the caster is of a lower level. Who says the Jedi's attack is weaker?
By lower level what do you mean, lower level on the path, lower level on the Generation, I'm sorry I'm unsure what is being debated here, but by the words used I'd say on Generation.... Thats a very specific thing if it is, and the Jedi is not Kindred.
Vampire invisibility isn't true invisibility, they just mess with the surrounding people's minds so they think that they don't see anything.
They didn't mention any artifacts. And I don't know what kind of artifacts they could have been, are there any in SW?

No he can't but the vampire doesn't have any nukes so that doesn't matter anyway. An antedeluvian can't survive sunlight but a Sith/Jedi can.
Not True here at all. A Thautmatergy Ritual, level nine, allows the caster to operate for twentyfour hours with no adverse affects in the Sunlight. The Supernatural Creatures of the WoD are the custodians of Nukes, what you think the Kindred sit around and let the Mortals own and maintain weapons cabable of destroying their food source and them.... They have access to the White House, direct access, as in 'Oh yes Sir of course the President will see you, go right through, no to you sir no apoinment is neccersary.' And anyway the example of the Anti Taking three Nukes, it was the Technocracy who arranged that, and they had concentrated the power of the Blast directly onto Ravno's who took that but was then not able to take the sunlight that came soon afterwards.

The Invis of Obfuscate does relie on mind tricks but hay, what a mind trick, mask entire groups of people, disapear in Public sight, change the way people see you, it's more than a simple trick to overcome, it takes more than a strong mind to overcome it. (So it would take a specfic Jedi Abilty that is similar to Auspex in nature...)

They have to touch the person in order to make his flesh rot, and I'm pretty sure they have to concentrate for a while to make a persons blood boil.
Touching yes that requires Touch, Blood Boiling is I believe one Temp Will Power Point to cast, Pass a Willpower test on normal Willpower, and can burn as much off as you are willing to spend, (On a one point from the Tremere for Two Points from the target.) Either that or can use it as many times as you spend the Blood Burn the Successes on the will power roll from the persons Blood Pool, and if the Tremere casting it has less than Nine Points of Willpower then he's not a Tremere :shock:
From a review of the two Towers.... 'As for Gimli being comic relief, what if your comic relief had a huge axe and fells dozens of Orcs? That's a pretty cool comic relief. '
white_rabbit
Jedi Council Member

Post by white_rabbit »

Can the vampire make a star go nova? No he can't.

can a Sith make a Star go nova ?

No, he can't.....unless he has.....

A Space ship

and

A specific Sith amulet

AFAIK, the only Sith star killings were performed by Naga Sadow and Exar Kun.

Both were performed while on board a space vessel...not from a planet obviously, and were performed utilising a specific, and apparently unique Sith artifact.

And it appears that Exar Kun, and possibly even Sadow achieved their exalted station not through their own abilities, but by using the Artifact, Kuns powers were massively amplified when he took possession of it, which leads me to believe that without the Artifact, Sith Starkilling, and the power needed to do it, or the focus, is a one-off, and not really a standard Sith ability.
Dahak
Emperor's Hand

Post by Dahak »

It will hurt a jedi if you suck his blood out of him, and with Thaumaturgy, you can do it with Path of Blood from 50 feet away.
Or Obtenebration, and can engulf him in utter darkness, and choke him with it...
There are multiple...interesting ways...
Great Dolphin Conspiracy - Chatter box
"Implications: we have been intercepted deliberately by a means unknown, for a purpose unknown, and transferred to a place unknown by a form of intelligence unknown. Apart from the unknown, everything is obvious." ZORAC
GALE Force Euro Wimp
Human dignity shall be inviolable. To respect and protect it shall be the duty of all state authority.
lgot
Jedi Knight

Post by lgot »

xiophen:
Ive been glancing through the books latly none of them have really caught my intrest I was disappointed they havnt done more since Ravnos woke and baba yaga was killed.
oh, yeah. New WW books are so bad for those who also enjoyed the background of the setting, not only the play...
most 4 th gens have at least on 9th. though tiamat one of those that the players are meant to fight so she was relativly tamed. but take any of those and you'll see stacked 7 point, 8 points and at least one 9 point disciplines.
The only stat abouve 6 she had was one discipline she did herself. And no one ever talked about. like I said, a bad written adventure. I believe (they actually say it) she would get a bost and they them only posted her recently awakened topor stats...It is even more plausible if we look her childe , A 5th Ventrue that is found in the same book I think and have much better stats. After all she have a cool background and needed a bit more, not to be worse than Helena "I am pretty, duh" or Neferiti "Use me Set"...
Bad control of background material its prevailent in almost every Gaming company, WW, GW, Wizards of the coast all suffer from it in one fashion or another. Though Palladium doesnt have to worry about it cause they have funky background control as it is and steve jackson games dont bother with much background since they are still truer to the make your own world phillosophy.
what is most dislike is the new philosophy of the new writters that "I do not like it, kill" or "Good for battle, good for the game"...
A hack and slash of a light sabre? BS and you know it the Lightsabre is the only thing that gives your jedi a hope against a low gen WOD creature.
Of course and that is why I said that Jedi would always fight with that, because it is not a hope, but a HELL of hope. It can be only absorved with Fortitude and that is something not all vampires have. That means against sabers they lost the regeneration advantage and also the high stamina.
Wanna see ?
Kemintiri have only 4 of celerity and Fortitude. She is kick ass Settite, 4th generation (she can do other stuff), but with those she have not that superiority in combat that you claim (Hence you said a Jedi can move at 3 times the speed of human and she will only have 4 dices to absort damage. And She does not have discipline to gave agravated damage). Or Petaquina, a great 5th Generantion Malkavian who deals among Black Spirals and have neither Celerity or Fortitude. She stands no chance in close combat. Or even Tariq, a clood murderer, Assamite, 5th, only 3 of celerity and 4 of fortitude.
Like people pointed it is relative. I know one would murder Jedis like ants...In the same book there is the Enkidu, 4th Generation Gangrel with 7 of Celerity, 8 of Fortitude, 7 of Potence, already with 9 of Strength and Stamina, And even 6 of Vicissitude and 8 of Protean which could be used to raize his physical power even more.

be it mage, Garu or kindred. The force just evens the playing field out a little makes it so a your jedi doesnt get raped nine ways to hell and back the lightsabre makes it so they can fight the above up until you through in the various weapons and equipment anything from white wolf can have.
I am not, you know why ?
A Jedi can have much better equipaments. Lukes come with a X-wing (and the powerful r2 ; ) and Darth come with a Star Destroyer. That would go in a ridiculous path.
A vampire does not have equipament as requiriment. Not all vampires carry bombs, weapons and actually, later generations vampires avoid such things. All Jedis have a lightsaber in other hand. That is primary.
and Im sorry nothing jedi or sith will ever compare to a 4th gen charcater of a rank 5 garu both of which can dismatle cities if they wanted.
I never seen any of the rank 5 Garou do anything like that. Gogol is pathetic and cannt even turn the tide of the war in Amazon, the one in Russia never have even been able to kill a minon of importance of Baba Yaga. The black spiral woman of rank 5 either.
And you forget something, dont ? A Jedi build up a Intergalatic Empire. He does not messed up with one city, But with several solar systems.
Trying to make Jedis look powerless and just above the normal human is just not easy.

Ohhh yes and we have seen them use this once maybe twice in cannon?
oh, please, It is not because they do not talk before any action "I feel like this will happen" does not mean they did not use (If they did, that would become DBZ ^^). Anakin uses it a lot, even without training to won the race. Qui-Jon uses also (how many times he says he senses that something will happen to Obi-wan), The council of Jedi predicts the danger of Anakin, and there is prophecie about him. Darth feel about Luke and that they would help each other. The Emperor feels the danger of luke. There goes...
The Supernatural Creatures of the WoD are the custodians of Nukes, what you think the Kindred sit around and let the Mortals own and maintain weapons cabable of destroying their food source and them....
This is a bit too much. Washington by night is a book published. They have no access to the president there and such powers there belonged to the other faction , Technocracy. This faction hold nukes and stuff. But again, there is no need to go to those equipaments, will make the debate ridiculous. It is normal we assume the Jedi have a saber. Because that is something all of them have.
Muffin is food. Food is good. I am a Muffin. I am good.