SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Re: Avatar review thread - NO SPOILERS UNTIL FRIDAY

Post by fgalkin »

adam_grif wrote:It seems obvious to me that if the Earth really is in dire trouble without the Unobtanium (I can't believe they actually called it that), that forcefully driving a people out of their homes is an acceptable thing to do. Obviously xenocide is not the preferred means to do it, but if it's going to come down to us or them, I have no moral qualms nuking them from orbit, if that's the only way to be sure (figuratively, not literally, since I assume that would destroy the deposits too)

Billions of human lives are worth far more to me than however many roid-smurfs are living on top of this mine. I haven't seen the movie, so correct me if I'm wrong, but I absolutely do not see the dilemma here. They won't clear out, we need the stuff badly.
It seems obvious to me that if the China really is in dire trouble without the water, uranium, farmland and ores, that forcefully driving a people out of their homes is an acceptable thing to do. Obviously genocide is not the preferred means to do it, but if it's going to come down to us or them, I have no moral qualms nuking them, if that's the only way to be sure (figuratively, not literally, since I assume that would destroy the farmlands too)

A billion of Chinese lives are worth far more to me than however many pox-skinned white monkeys are living on top of this natural resources. I haven't seen the movie, so correct me if I'm wrong, but I absolutely do not see the dilemma here. They won't clear out, we need the stuff badly.

What's wrong with this statement?

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Ghost Rider wrote:
Broomstick wrote:
JointStrikeFighter wrote:Yeah and Base Delta Zero events don't exist either because they weren't in the Star wars movies :banghead:
If they weren't in the Star Wars movies no, they didn't happen as far as I'm concerned (and, in fact, I've never heard of them before) and neither did they happen for all the other millions of people who only saw the movies. The vast majority of people who see Avatar will look only at what's on screen, they aren't all going to rush home and Google the movie and the additional "fluff". The important and relevant stuff has to be on screen.
Okay, before we go into what isn't and is canon. In this respect Broom, you could be right or wrong. That depends solely on what the creators considers canon.
Yes, the creator(s) dictate cannon, but if the creation is a movie it's a dickhead move on the creators part to require people to buy additional stuff, such as books, or do internet research, in order to get the essential parts of the story.

But I wasn't, strictly speaking, talking about cannon - most people have never read/seen the non-movie parts of Star Wars all they know are the movies. One of the flaws of the The Phantom Menance is the reference to things like "midi-clorians" which were entirely absent from the originally release trilogy and had people unaware of the "expanded universe" going "WTF? In the first movie we saw Obi-Wan said the force was a sort of energy field and now it's germs?" Midi-clorians might be canon, but until that point a lot of people willing to see Star Wars movies had never heard of them. Then again, Lucas has re-done his own creation so often, tinkered with it so much, that it's become largely a joke anyhow.
So really, yes...the movie is important but don't be a fucking idiot and claim others are wrong for using outside material without demonstrating that is what the creator has said for his work.
The vast majority of the millions of people going to see Avatar this week are completely unaware of this additional material. If the movie itself does not contain the essential and important elements of the story then there has been a failure in communication. There may be a wonderful stack of background material in existence for this movie, we may even see a more fully fleshed out vision of the fictional universe in sequels, but if the movie does not contain the necessary information for the audience in front of it, it's a failure to one degree or another. Cannon that isn't communicated to the audience is pretty worthless.

FTL communication is not essential to the story as seen so far. It might or might not be an essential plot point in a future installment. Nothing was said about how Hell's Gate communicates with Earth in the movie, all we know is that it does.

So, really, I was referring to what was actually in the movie - gee, in fact, I actually said as much in my post. Or is there some problem with the statement "I'm going by what's in the movie"?
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Serafine666
Jedi Knight

Post by Serafine666 »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:Yeah, maybe I'm too harsh. Sorries. My perception has been colored since other parties have really been too eager to militaristically massacre thousands of people oh so conveniently just so they can dance around the corpses of a bunch of undeveloped aliens while shoveling expensively price-tagged shit rocks from the ground, and I've found it very grating since apparently it seems like their definition of entertainment is just killfuck and nothing but killfuck.
Ah, but killfuck is fun as long as you have a BFG gripped in your maniacal little hands. :twisted:
Shroom Man 777 wrote:Thing is, though. The fact that the home-tree not just sits on top of a big pile of unobtanium, but also a forest of bioluminescent trees that are a big part of the planet's world-brain, makes the home-tree and the assorted bits of planetary organism physiology just as vital to the natives as unobtanium is to us - if not more so. The fact that this crucial planetary physiological feature is not just part of the Na'vi's culture, but also part of their extended ecological network, means that as much as some people would hate to admit it, the brain-trees are more valuable than the unobtanium. Unless humans can somehow physically interface with unobtanium and make it a part of their extended physiological processes, by shoving it in a convenient orifice in their anatomy. :P
According to outside material ("Avatar: An Activist's Guide"), the most concentrated and massive deposits of the stuff aren't anywhere near the worldtree thingy. They're part of a geographical feature called the "floating mountains" which has so much unobtanium that the strange magnetic properties of the metal cause tons of rock to float around in midair. Others are probably right--the worldtree deposit is probably the closest and most easily-accessed. Still, if the alleged problems with mining unobtanium are what that book says, mining the deposit around the tree shouldn't be hard at all.
Shroom Man 777 wrote:See, this kind of thinking makes me want to make a more relevant and topical movie with the same ecological anti-nazi message as Avatar. In the future where global warming has made all the ice melt, the US military discovers oil in the Antarctic and sends the USMC Hooah to secure the resources. But Micheal Moore gathers all the native penguins and through tap-dancing, they overwhelm America's military might with the power of love and happy feet and after a climaxing nunchaku duel on top of The Last Glacier in Antarctica, Donald Rumsfeld or General Pretaeus can end up getting eaten by a walrus or an Antarctic hippo. With its military supremacy assfucked by a bunch of gay hippie penguins, America ends up exploding and the penguins end up performing an epic tapdancing number at the end of the movie just like Slumdog Billionaire. But with more furry yiff.
:wtf:
"Freedom is not an external truth. It exists within men, and those who wish to be free are free." - Paul Ernst

The world is black and white. People, however, are grey.

When man has no choice but to do good, there's no point in calling him moral.
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

PeZook wrote:At 0.7C the time dilation factor is about, what, 1.5? That's rather significant.
The Lorentz factor 1.4 or so at 0.7c. That means even if they jumped up to 0.7c travelled the distance, and stopped, if they experienced 5 years on the ship or so, Earth has experienced 7 years. That's nice, but not huge. For time dilation to really kick in, you've got to scrap the bottom of "c".

However, keep in mind that they have to accelerate UP to 0.7 first, then turn around and accelerate back down again. Depending on how good their acceleration is and how long they can maintain it, that could mean a hunk of those five years is accelerating up to 0.7c with a considerably less tau working for them.
"Show me an angel and I will paint you one." - Gustav Courbet

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

However, keep in mind that they have to accelerate UP to 0.7 first, then turn around and accelerate back down again. Depending on how good their acceleration is and how long they can maintain it, that could mean a hunk of those five years is accelerating up to 0.7c with a considerably less tau working for them.
Going by the site:
Mission Profile: 0.46 year initial acceleration @ 1.5 g to reach 0.7 c; 5.83 years cruise @ 0.7 c; 0.46 year deceleration; 1 year loiter in orbit around Pandora; 0.46 year acceleration @ 1.5 g to 0.7 c for return trip; 5.83 years cruise; 0.46 year final deceleration @ 1.5 g to go into orbit around Earth.

Mission Duration: 6.75 + 1.0 + 6.75 = 14.5 Earth years. However, relativistic effects shorten the time onboard ship to slightly less than 6 years each way.
Darwin
Jedi Master

Post by Darwin »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:(Hey, has it been established if the Avatar-verse humans have encountered other non-Pandoran alien lifeforms yet? Like, if another bunch of corporate/milwank douchebags happened upon a colony of acid-blooded extraterrestrials or something? :D)
well The Company is pretty much Weyland-Yutani, though it was never explicitly mentioned as such. Tech level is below that in the first Alien movie (though not much).
adam_grif
Sith Devotee

Post by adam_grif »

fgalkin wrote:blah
Are you really telling me that you wouldn't support the Chinese driving monkeys out of their land if the Chinese were going to die if they didn't? You don't think that's a reasonable course of action for them to take?
A scientist once gave a public lecture on astronomy. He described how the Earth orbits around the sun and how the sun, in turn, orbits around the centre of a vast collection of stars called our galaxy.

At the end of the lecture, a little old lady at the back of the room got up and said: 'What you have told us is rubbish. The world is really a flat plate supported on the back of a giant tortoise.

The scientist gave a superior smile before replying, 'What is the tortoise standing on?'

'You're very clever, young man, very clever,' said the old lady. 'But it's turtles all the way down.'
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

adam_grif wrote:
Are you really telling me that you wouldn't support the Chinese driving monkeys out of their land if the Chinese were going to die if they didn't? You don't think that's a reasonable course of action for them to take?
I would support the Chinese driving out Australian "monkeys" out of their land anyway, to be honest, if only because there are certain specimens like yourself amongst them. Note how it's "driving out" the "monkeys" as opposed to "committing genocide" on "Australians." I support the right to have Lebensraum when it's at the expense of stupid people.

In any case, humans clearly would not die without the resource- I did not see the movie, not even the trailer, but the fact that we are just fine right now without this unobtanium shows that we don't actually need it to survive.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Darwin wrote:
Shroom Man 777 wrote:(Hey, has it been established if the Avatar-verse humans have encountered other non-Pandoran alien lifeforms yet? Like, if another bunch of corporate/milwank douchebags happened upon a colony of acid-blooded extraterrestrials or something? :D)
well The Company is pretty much Weyland-Yutani, though it was never explicitly mentioned as such. Tech level is below that in the first Alien movie (though not much).
How is it lower than the Alien or Aliens movies? Both 'verses seem to rely on sublight propulsion to travel to nearby star systems, with passengers going into cryonic stasis or whatever. Both 'verses seem to rely on old-school gunpowder firearms, ala Pulse Rifles or the hardware these guys have. Both 'verses seem to have VTOL-capable gunship aircraft, though the Dropship from Aliens seems to be more advanced in that it's capable of orbital reentry and combat ops (unlike the firmly atmospheric helicopter-ish craft we see in the film) but the Shuttle in Avatar seems to have those features except it's bigger and not a military vehicle. The Aliens loadlifters are actually clunkier than the much-maligned mecha Walking Humvees in Avatar. The only significant difference there is, ah, we don't see android Bilbo Baggins or a "Mother" AI computer in Avatar.

Fgalkin:

Lusy-chan would support that option.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
GrayAnderson
Padawan Learner

Post by GrayAnderson »

Ghost Rider wrote:
Broomstick wrote:
JointStrikeFighter wrote:Yeah and Base Delta Zero events don't exist either because they weren't in the Star wars movies :banghead:
If they weren't in the Star Wars movies no, they didn't happen as far as I'm concerned (and, in fact, I've never heard of them before) and neither did they happen for all the other millions of people who only saw the movies. The vast majority of people who see Avatar will look only at what's on screen, they aren't all going to rush home and Google the movie and the additional "fluff". The important and relevant stuff has to be on screen.
Okay, before we go into what isn't and is canon. In this respect Broom, you could be right or wrong. That depends solely on what the creators considers canon.

Thus for Avatar, you may be right. He may consider what is on screen as the only truth. But Star Wars, your opinion is incorrect and your logic of others follow this same idealogy with you is fucking fallacy and you know this. Sure it's yours to keep but is the same value as calling the sky green. So really, yes...the movie is important but don't be a fucking idiot and claim others are wrong for using outside material without demonstrating that is what the creator has said for his work.
Technically speaking, all he's doing is adhering to strictly G-canon. I've seen much more invalid things done with SW canon before.
fgalkin wrote:
adam_grif wrote:
I would support the Chinese driving out Australian "monkeys" out of their land anyway, to be honest, if only because there are certain specimens like yourself amongst them. Note how it's "driving out" the "monkeys" as opposed to "committing genocide" on "Australians." I support the right to have Lebensraum when it's at the expense of stupid people.

In any case, humans clearly would not die without the resource- I did not see the movie, not even the trailer, but the fact that we are just fine right now without this unobtanium shows that we don't actually need it to survive.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
-We're going to go all around the mulberry bush on this one, but you committed a fallacy in that last paragraph: Humans 300 years ago would have done just fine if all of the oil in the world up and vanished (and was replaced by a material that filled in the underground caverns in its place which was inert). Humans today would die if all of the oil in the world up and vanished. Not all of us, but you would get fairly wide-spread starvation in urban areas if we up and ran out of oil tomorrow.

I offer this point merely to outline the simple fact that some needs change. Some remain the same (food, water, shelter, etc.), but some do change (mainly having to do with how we get the aforementioned items).
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Unless the fluff contradicts it, I don't remember anything in the movie that said that humans were dying off in poverty and death because the corporate milwankers hadn't blown up the home-tree and killfucked the natives to mine some unobtanium over there yet.
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

Based on the trailer, they weren't so fucked as to not enjoy drinking, playing pool, and watching soccer, or futbol, on the big screen TV.
Member of the BotM. @( !.! )@
dragon
Sith Marauder

Post by dragon »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:Unless the fluff contradicts it, I don't remember anything in the movie that said that humans were dying off in poverty and death because the corporate milwankers hadn't blown up the home-tree and killfucked the natives to mine some unobtanium over there yet.
All that was said in the movie was at the end when the humans were boarding the ship to go back.

They said that that all but a select few were being sent back to a dying world. But they didn't say why the world was dying.
"There are very few problems that cannot be solved by the suitable application of photon torpedoes
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

Dying can mean a lot of things. It doesn't necessarily means 'we're all doomed!' but could just mean 'The environment goes downhill every year', and soforth. By some standards, modern day Earth is 'dying'.
neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

There's no green on the world anymore according to Jake. Then again, it could look like Coruscant. If it's mainly for space travel and trade between worlds, how important is Earth for them anyway?
Last edited by neoolong on 2009-12-22 02:30am, edited 1 time in total.
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:
Darwin wrote:
How is it lower than the Alien or Aliens movies? Both 'verses seem to rely on sublight propulsion to travel to nearby star systems, with passengers going into cryonic stasis or whatever. Both 'verses seem to rely on old-school gunpowder firearms, ala Pulse Rifles or the hardware these guys have. Both 'verses seem to have VTOL-capable gunship aircraft, though the Dropship from Aliens seems to be more advanced in that it's capable of orbital reentry and combat ops (unlike the firmly atmospheric helicopter-ish craft we see in the film) but the Shuttle in Avatar seems to have those features except it's bigger and not a military vehicle. The Aliens loadlifters are actually clunkier than the much-maligned mecha Walking Humvees in Avatar. The only significant difference there is, ah, we don't see android Bilbo Baggins or a "Mother" AI computer in Avatar.

Fgalkin:

Lusy-chan would support that option.
Aliensverse has FTL, it just has reverse time dialation. So while you may spend a few months in realspace time to transit dozens of lightyears, it could take the ship subjectively decades, which is why they cryo. Also, Aliensverse has multiple interstellar colonies, while Avatarverse goes through a lot of time and expense for 12 ships to service Alpha Centauri, with 13 year round trips.

Meanwhile, Aliensverse has planetwide terraforming even on middle of nowhere hellholes like LV426.
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

dragon wrote:
Shroom Man 777 wrote:Unless the fluff contradicts it, I don't remember anything in the movie that said that humans were dying off in poverty and death because the corporate milwankers hadn't blown up the home-tree and killfucked the natives to mine some unobtanium over there yet.
All that was said in the movie was at the end when the humans were boarding the ship to go back.

They said that that all but a select few were being sent back to a dying world. But they didn't say why the world was dying.
Even then we can't discount hyperbole from the dude who just went nature nuts native. We know that Earth isn't a Coruscant type planet with some dialogue between Jake and the Colonel in the movie where Jake says he did some time in South America in the Marines and the Colonel said it was mean bush, but not as mean as the bush on Pandora. Jake saying Earth was a dying world may have been more philosophical, in terms of where earth was in industrialization and where Pandora was; furthering the noble savage bit the movie was pushing with the Na'vi.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Nephtys wrote:Aliensverse has FTL, it just has reverse time dialation. So while you may spend a few months in realspace time to transit dozens of lightyears, it could take the ship subjectively decades, which is why they cryo. Also, Aliensverse has multiple interstellar colonies, while Avatarverse goes through a lot of time and expense for 12 ships to service Alpha Centauri, with 13 year round trips.
I NEVER KNEW THAT! They had FTL? It didn't seem like FTL at all. Man.
Meanwhile, Aliensverse has planetwide terraforming even on middle of nowhere hellholes like LV426.
Oh, yes. The atmospheric processors. I totally forgot about those. :P
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Darwin
Jedi Master

Post by Darwin »

Shroom Man 777 wrote: How is it lower than the Alien or Aliens movies? Both 'verses seem to rely on sublight propulsion to travel to nearby star systems, with passengers going into cryonic stasis or whatever. Both 'verses seem to rely on old-school gunpowder firearms, ala Pulse Rifles or the hardware these guys have. Both 'verses seem to have VTOL-capable gunship aircraft, though the Dropship from Aliens seems to be more advanced in that it's capable of orbital reentry and combat ops (unlike the firmly atmospheric helicopter-ish craft we see in the film) but the Shuttle in Avatar seems to have those features except it's bigger and not a military vehicle. The Aliens loadlifters are actually clunkier than the much-maligned mecha Walking Humvees in Avatar. The only significant difference there is, ah, we don't see android Bilbo Baggins or a "Mother" AI computer in Avatar.
Points mentioned before re:terraforming, FTL and such, The Aliens dropship could do space-surface-space without boosters or refueling, which is a Big Deal. the cargoloaders are clunky cause they don't have to be otherwise and aren't combat vehicles. Displays in Avatar are of course shinier, but maybe Sulaco was just built to be miner-proof.

As for the Unobtanium (Jeezus couldn't they have even TRIED coming up with a better name) it seems to be mostly used as a drive component and used for its room-temperature superconducting properties. Nifty, yes, important, yes, but not in any way vital to the survival of Humanity.
neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

I don't think comparing the dropships to the RDA gunships is really fair, since they're intended for different purposes.

And unobtanium is a real term, even if it is stupid.
GrayAnderson
Padawan Learner

Post by GrayAnderson »

Knife wrote:
dragon wrote:

Even then we can't discount hyperbole from the dude who just went nature nuts native. We know that Earth isn't a Coruscant type planet with some dialogue between Jake and the Colonel in the movie where Jake says he did some time in South America in the Marines and the Colonel said it was mean bush, but not as mean as the bush on Pandora. Jake saying Earth was a dying world may have been more philosophical, in terms of where earth was in industrialization and where Pandora was; furthering the noble savage bit the movie was pushing with the Na'vi.
To be fair, I think Jake is a very suspect narrator at the end. That said, to some extent we're being given information that is either biased or incomplete; I get the feeling of an "Alma Problem" on Sully's description of Earth: We don't have much else to go on that's clear, and Sully may or may not be reliable.

I can see his statements being literal (no more trees, etc., period), quasi-literal (limited to areas he wouldn't regularly have exposure to/wouldn't have seen in a while/greenhouses), or figurative (he means the environment is a wreck). Likewise, a "dying world" could mean "we're running out of energy and we're headed for a train wreck with people dying off in large numbers" or something more philosophical along the lines you suggested.

Absent directorial fiat, my inclination is to go with "quasi-literal" on the trees/green stuff (still a broad category, but I can't nail it down much more), and "deep, deep trouble and running out of affordable energy" on the state of the Earth. Note that for these purposes, I mean "can get food to the average human worker at a price that said person can afford", not "can fill up one's SUV at $1 a gallon". "Affordable" and "standard of life" are wonderfully flexible terms that can be bent to suit one's interests and point of view, I would note.

----------------------------------------------------

Moving along, I would like to make clear some of my thoughts on "director's intent" in general. Cameron clearly intended a fairly straight-up fight where the humans are the bad guys (sans Sully and Co.) and the Na'vi are the good guys. The honest truth is that I generally go into a movie not giving a crap who the director wants me to like, and I often find myself getting frustrated at directors who have their antagonists kick dogs for the hell of it just to make clear who the antagonist is. Call it "evil for the sake of evil." Too much of that and I'll walk out of a movie.

To his credit, Cameron did not go over the top in this regard with Avatar. Yes, he made it quite clear who the audience is supposed to side with, but (to cite an example given elsewhere in the thread) he wasn't having Selfridge line Na'vi up at the edge of a mass grave or engage in other behavior for the sake of it. There was not the evil for the sake of evil that often shows up.

The hangup he ran into with his parallel is this: He made Earth out to be a train wreck to strengthen the nature-industry parallel, but he also failed to make clear just how bad that situation was getting, the consequences of mission failure, etc. In this regard, I think he may have overshot his intended goal with some of us: Instead of the comments coming across as "the humans have wrecked Earth irreparably and don't deserve the resources they're taking from this pristine environment at the cost of damage to it", he gave off what certainly felt like an existential dilemma for the human race to a couple of us. That sort of a situation messes with the mechanics of the story in a way I don't think it was intended to.

Obviously, there's not enough clear information in the film to decide one way or another on some of these points, so we're getting clashing assumptions and interpretations. A lot of the arguments are effectively if-then statements. In my view, if there is an existential dilemma presented to it, humanity has rights which it does not absent that dilemma insofar as ensuring its survival and the survival of individual humans. If an Unobtanium shortage would cause a major, if not catastrophic, breakdown in the global distribution of goods, food included, then it is more important than if it merely keeps the trains running on time. And so on.

------------------------------------------------

I would like to point out that, for all of the remarks about quarterly statements, the fact that Unobtanium shipments are capped out at a set level for the time being at a couple of hundred tons/year. Selfridge jamming production through the roof for the sake of doing so brings RDA no benefit unless:
A) The market price is fixed; or
B) RDA can find a way to "swallow" any excess consumption.

A glut of Unobtanium would simply cause a run on any unobtanium contracts (if they exist and are publicly traded) or otherwise cause pressure to lower prices on an expected production increase. Bear in mind that while RDA has a monopoly, it is also clearly a regulated monopoly (as shown by their inability to simply shut off any bad press despite being light years away from Earth...Wal-Mart has had an easier time keeping the unions out/under control than these guys seem to have had with the media, not to mention the leash they're on, weapons-wise). Producing more than just under 350 tons per year (the shipping capacity for unobtanium...12 ships, 14-year cycle) just doesn't make sense.

Even absent that, there's another little problem:
Each Hometree is located above a rich deposit of unobtanium, putting the Na'vi in quite the quandary when it comes to the RDA's interests in the value of said mineral. In Avatar, the Hometree of the Omaticaya clan was obliterated by the RDA's security forces, forcing the remaining Na'vi to relocate.
Source: http://james-camerons-avatar.wikia.com/wiki/Kelutral

I am prepared to set this aside upon request (it's a wiki, after all, and no sources are listed), but this both seems to confirm the link between Unobtanium deposits and the big trees. This also raises two obvious follow-on questions:
1) Do the trees exist over most (or all) substantial deposits? By "substantial", I mean "practical to mine". It's not worthwhile to dig a big hole to get twenty grams of the stuff.
2) Are those trees inhabited like the one in the film?

As to mining around the trees, it is quite possible that mining around the tree might not be possible without triggering the tree's collapse into the mine if they have to get close to the tree while mining it. Just a possibility there.

Finally, as to the deposits in the mountains...there's enough trouble running Jake, Grace, etc. out to a base in the mountains (radar is dead, they're on VFR, compasses don't work, etc.) that mining them is even more of a morass. Also, given that these are floating mountains, lifting the equipment onto them may be a stretch, and avoiding the loss of that equipment if a mountain breaks up due to mining might be impossible. This might well be a case of the corporate office being able to say "We looked at it and it didn't work."
Playerofeve
Redshirt

Post by Playerofeve »

To get off the milwanker subject I have one small question to ask :!:

I saw the movie on the 18th and thought it was a good movie, only thing that had me was the scene of a Na'vi putting an arrow through the canopy of one of the choppers, looked cool but kind of odd, so I was wondering what a 12 foot tall Na'vi giant firing 6ft+ long arrows could do to bullet proof glass at almost point blank range, it's well known that medieval longbows could pierce iron and weaker steel armors at least until about the 14th century, I did find a site about the English longbow and it states that a longbow can pierce plate armor at ranges of less than 100 yards, and the Na'vi was way closer than that, so I was wondering if everything was scaled up to size, would what happened in that scene actually be possible :?:

edit: here's the site: http://www.archers.org/longbow.htm
adam_grif
Sith Devotee

Post by adam_grif »

fgalkin wrote: I would support the Chinese driving out Australian "monkeys" out of their land anyway, to be honest, if only because there are certain specimens like yourself amongst them. Note how it's "driving out" the "monkeys" as opposed to "committing genocide" on "Australians." I support the right to have Lebensraum when it's at the expense of stupid people.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Oh yes, very nice.

If you can point to one single instance of me saying I supported their actions without also qualifying it something like "...so long as it's vital to our survival" or "if it means saving lots of human lives", then yay for you. But that's not what I'm arguing at all. The problem as it was initially presented made it sound as though they were at stake.

It seems the case that it's not, so I don't support it. That's what I've been saying for pages, but a couple of you people seem too dense to be comprehending the words I'm writing.
A scientist once gave a public lecture on astronomy. He described how the Earth orbits around the sun and how the sun, in turn, orbits around the centre of a vast collection of stars called our galaxy.

At the end of the lecture, a little old lady at the back of the room got up and said: 'What you have told us is rubbish. The world is really a flat plate supported on the back of a giant tortoise.

The scientist gave a superior smile before replying, 'What is the tortoise standing on?'

'You're very clever, young man, very clever,' said the old lady. 'But it's turtles all the way down.'
adam_grif
Sith Devotee

Post by adam_grif »

neoolong wrote: And unobtanium is a real term, even if it is stupid.

It being stupid is why people are complaining.

It'd be like the next Trek movie had a brand new WMD that ran on "Handwavium" or "technobabble". And the weapons were made by Doctor MacGuffin, who they have to rescue, which drives the plot. These are real world terms for describing stuff they do, actually calling it by those terms kind of takes you out of it. It's not like there's a law saying you can't do it, but I find it really jarring, and I'm not the only one.

GrayAnderson
Padawan Learner

Post by GrayAnderson »

adam_grif wrote:
neoolong wrote: And unobtanium is a real term, even if it is stupid.

It being stupid is why people are complaining.

It'd be like the next Trek movie had a brand new WMD that ran on "Handwavium" or "technobabble". And the weapons were made by Doctor MacGuffin, who they have to rescue, which drives the plot. These are real world terms for describing stuff they do, actually calling it by those terms kind of takes you out of it. It's not like there's a law saying you can't do it, but I find it really jarring, and I'm not the only one.
"Red matter"

More seriously, though, I understand the idea...at the same time, I can also see a situation where the name "Unobtanium" actually sticks to something and, while it gains a technical name and everything, people just don't care what it's really called.