Ridiculously Over-The-Top Christmas Decorations 56K Nay Nay

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Count Chocula
Jedi Council Member
Location: You've asked me for my sacrifice, and I am winter born

Ridiculously Over-The-Top Christmas Decorations 56K Nay Nay

Post by Count Chocula »

We've all seen them, and wondered "WTF were they thinking? Well, I am guilty as charged, and my only excuse is that I have a five-year old son and he loves this shit. I present Exhibit A, my house:

Straight shot from the front. Six inflatables, two light trees, three deer, a penguin, candy canes, flickering candles, "gift" lights, and I don't know how many lights. Oh, and a poinsettia:
Click here for full size. How the hell do you post thumbnail pics, anyway?

Here's a little closer shot of the front. Yes, my car has lights and yes, they blinky-blink when I'm moving down the road! Inverters are cool.
Click here for full size.

Of course, no yard's complete without a six-foot-tall baby wearing a top hat:

I looked for a larger Santa, but the biggest one I could find after exhaustive shopping one my wife found is only 12 feet tall :cry: :

My son can count UP pretty well, so of course he needs a learning aid to help him count DOWN. And nothing says "I'm teaching my child numbers!" like Snoopy on his doghouse:

Sometimes you flub a shot and it turns out OK. I tried the "night" setting on my Canon EOS for a perspective shot, and it made all the lights look like they're flaring to burnout. I liked it.
Click here for larger image.

Merry Christmas to all!
The only people who were safe were the legion; after one of their AT-ATs got painted dayglo pink with scarlet go faster stripes, they identified the perpetrators and exacted revenge. - Eleventh Century Remnant

Lord Monckton is my heeerrooo

"Yeah, well, fuck them. I never said I liked the Moros." - Shroom Man 777
Simplicius
Jedi Council Member

Re: Ridiculously Over-The-Top Christmas Decorations 56K Nay Nay

Post by Simplicius »

For clickable thumbnails, if your image host doesn't do it for you:

Code: Select all

[url=full-size-image-url-with-no-BBCode-tags][img][url-of-thumbnail-image][/img][/url]
You'll need to make a thumbnail-sized image and host it alongside, though.
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Count Chocula wrote:Well, I am guilty as charged, and my only excuse is that I have a five-year old son and he loves this shit.
That's the best reason to do it. :)

Anyway, this isn't my place, I just found it on the tubes:

Executor32
Jedi Council Member
Location: In a Georgia courtroom, watching a spectacle unfold

Post by Executor32 »

Here's the extent of my festive decorations:

A single string of USB-powered LED Christmas lights around my monitor. :D
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
Long ago in a distant land, I, Aku, the shape-shifting Master of Darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil,
but a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me. Before the final blow
was struck, I tore open a portal in time and flung him into the future, where my evil is law! Now, the fool
seeks to return to the past, and undo the future that is Aku...
-Aku, Master of Masters, Deliverer of Darkness, Shogun of Sorrow
El Moose Monstero
Moose Rebellion Ambassador
Location: The Cradle of the Rebellion... Oop Nowrrth, Like...

Post by El Moose Monstero »

Just to be briefly scroogeish, I went to a talk last year on the carbon footprint of Christmas, and lights were the biggest offenders in terms of cost and CO2, unsurprising given that the lights are on for the longest period, but still. Turns out that if we (the world) lived like we did during Christmas, then we'd need 80 Earth's to support the resources involved. We all tutted, shook our heads at the extravagance and then went to our mulled wine evening, turned on our christmas lights and played awful music. Go us!
"...a fountain of mirth, issuing forth from the penis of a cupid..." ~ Dalton / Winner of the 'Frank Hipper Most Horrific Drag EVAR' award - 2004 / The artist formerly known as The_Lumberjack.

Evil Brit Conspiracy: Token Moose Obsessed Kebab Munching Semi Geordie
Count Chocula
Jedi Council Member

Post by Count Chocula »

I tried Simplicius' code, and it worked!
That's pretty slick. Thanks, mang.

Try to land on my house, will you? I got something for that! Oh wait...
The only people who were safe were the legion; after one of their AT-ATs got painted dayglo pink with scarlet go faster stripes, they identified the perpetrators and exacted revenge. - Eleventh Century Remnant

Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

:D Chocula, I think your house can be seen from outer space now.

And to stay in the mood, I went on the Internet and I found this:

SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

How do you pay for all those decorations, CHOCLA? It looks expensives!
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:How do you pay for all those decorations, CHOCLA? It looks expensives!
After Xmas sales in the 26th-30th feature tons of Christmas lights on massive discount (Retails hate having lights left over after Xmas, the holidy things can still sell for awhile but Xmas lights are just dead weight on shelves after the 24th). I know we decorated our tree when I was younger with all the lights and bulbs we bought on the 27th which my mother had calculated as the day where the truly massive discounts had (50%-80%) but before everything was gone. This was a more reliable tradition then spending Xmas with the rest of the family as during my first 17 years we only spent Xmas with the family about six times. But I have memories of 6-16 of going out on the 27th of December like clockwork to hit every mall in a forty mile zone to carry whatever she needed carrying.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Count Chocula
Jedi Council Member

Post by Count Chocula »

Shroomy, it's what Bean said. Plus my wife's got a nose for bargains like a shark has for tasty blood in the water. Last year we had an 8-foot Santa popping out of a chimney (had it for 3 years, actually, but high winds burned out the relays last year); it was selling for $99 before Christmas, but my wife got it after Christmas for 25 dollars! Ditto for the other pop-ups. Light strings are stupid cheap, too, something like $1.50 for 100 lights.

Plus, we didn't go out and get them all at once. We've been buying on sale for 5 years now, and that's the only reason I can obscure my lawn in such an obnoxious fashion. :lol:

[R_H]
Sith Devotee

Post by [R_H] »

It ain't Christmas if there's no snow on the ground :P. Nice decorations though. Have a merry Christmas.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

[R_H] wrote:It ain't Christmas if there's no snow on the ground :P. Nice decorations though. Have a merry Christmas.
Given his location, I think if he had snow, Christmas would be cancelled in favour of the apocalypse.
Questor
Jedi Council Member

Post by Questor »

Vendetta wrote:
[R_H] wrote:It ain't Christmas if there's no snow on the ground :P. Nice decorations though. Have a merry Christmas.
Given his location, I think if he had snow, Christmas would be cancelled in favour of the apocalypse.
It has snowed in central Orange County (although Chocula is in San Diego as I recall). I hear tell that it was about 20 years ago. We came within a few degrees of it this year as well.

In fact we actually had ice on our walkways a couple of days this year.