Strongest humans in the Bible

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Bellator
Padawan Learner

Strongest humans in the Bible

Post by Bellator »

Seems fitting to put this in Fantasy.

Who are the strongest human beings in the Bible? Excluding angels and giants and other semi-devine creatures. Let's define it as who would win in 1 on 1 unarmed combat.

And how do they compare to (I assume lower tier) comicbook superheros?

Samson is prolly #1 (didn't he collapse a building while being tied to it?), but who else is there? Goliath? Or maybe Jacob, who wrestled with none other than God himself? Are there other human beings who accomplished great feats of strength?
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Re: Strongest humans in the Bible

Post by Majin Gojira »

Not that I can recall, most biblical miracles/super powers I can think of involve summonings, evocations and the like.

My personal favorite is "Summon Bears to destroy kids who mocked me for arbitrary reasons!" but I can'r recall where that one occured.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Lusankya
ChiCom

Post by Lusankya »

That was the prophet Elisha, the not-quite-so-stupendous-as-the-prophet-Elijah.

To be fair, those punk kids probably deserved it for calling him "baldy".

Oh, David was pretty tough. He could kill giants and once he went out and killed 200 Philistines and collected their foreskins just so he could marry some chick. (He only actually needed 100 foreskins, but that was too easy or something.)
"I would say that the above post is off-topic, except that I'm not sure what the topic of this thread is, and I don't think anybody else is sure either."
- Darth Wong
Free Durian - Last updated 27 Dec
"Why does it look like you are in China or something?" - havokeff
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

How can you quantify Goliath? He didn't do feats of strength aside from scaring away Hebrew/Israelite warriors before he had his shit ruined by David.

How bout Noah? He and a bunch of meddling kids built a zoo-boat big enough for all the animuls, while everyone was laughing at him. To be fair, in the cartoons it made it look like the animuls helped him out.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Didn't Moses out-wrestle God?
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
aieeegrunt
Jedi Knight

Post by aieeegrunt »

I think we can discount Jacob. He wrestled an angel for most of a night, but it ended with the angel tapping his leg and dislocating his hip, which it probably could have done at any point in the fight. It was wrestling with him to let him clear his head and realize something, or something like that. This seems pretty extreme, but people often do stuff like that. I always know that something is bothering my girlfriend when she goes out and runs herself into the ground.

Samson would be the one to go with, he did twist a lion's head off and collapse a building. I don't think we have anything comparable to that.
Bellator
Padawan Learner

Post by Bellator »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:How can you quantify Goliath? He didn't do feats of strength aside from scaring away Hebrew/Israelite warriors before he had his shit ruined by David.
Not that we know of, but wasn't he like 9 feet tall? Could he be an ancient Hong Man Choi, only bigger?
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

He could've been a skinny tall shit who the Canaanites propped with paper mache to scare the dumb Hebrews until David figured it out and threw a rock in his face.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

The most famous Biblical hero was Sampson, who could wrestle wild beasts, overcome any number of Philistines sent against him, and was nigh-invincible until Delilah —with whom he had taken up and in doing so reneged on his covenant with Yahweh— clipped his hair. He subsequently lost his strength, was taken by the Philistines, and was blinded. However, he was able to pull down the Temple of Baal calling upon Yahweh for one last feat of strength to humble the Philistines.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Don't Abram and Lot tag-team an army at some point? I seem to recall this is the case.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Been a long time since I studied it, obviously, but I do seem to recall that in the Bible the heroes of the Old Testament tended to rely upon A) divine intervention or B) wit and cleverness more than they did brute strength and force. But again it's been a while, I may be wrong.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

I heard it was something like Abraham rescuing Lot from three kings and their own armies by having an army of his own.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

Lonestar wrote:Didn't Moses out-wrestle God?
That was Jacob and they can seem to agree if he out wrestled God or an Angel.
"Show me an angel and I will paint you one." - Gustav Courbet

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Gil Hamilton wrote: That was Jacob and they can seem to agree if he out wrestled God or an Angel.
Ah, I was thinking of when God was about to whack Moses because he had a foreskin. Nvm.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Themightytom
Sith Devotee

Post by Themightytom »

My vote is for Sampson the Hebrew Hercules. Unless the opponents have knowledge of each other's weaknesses he is unstoppable unless hair pulling starts to go down.

he ripped a lion apart people, a Lion.

"Since when is "the west" a nation?"-Styphon
"ACORN= Cobra obviously." AMT
This topic is... oh Village Idiot. Carry on then.--Havok
Civil War Man
NERRRRRDS!!!

Post by Civil War Man »

If you are looking at combat skills, Samson still comes out pretty far ahead in the category of mortals.
Judges 15:15 wrote:Finding a fresh jawbone of a donkey, [Samson] grabbed it and struck down a thousand men.
Though verse 14 suggests that he may have been possessed by God when he did that particular feat.
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

For Samson to have lifted the gates of Gaza in one piece, he would have had to move several tons of masonry and carry them about forty miles to Hebron.

So... there's that.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

How can you quantify Goliath? He didn't do feats of strength aside from scaring away Hebrew/Israelite warriors before he had his shit ruined by David.
He carried 120+ pounds of armour for his torso alone, plus greaves and weapons (sword, shield, spear and javelin). For him to be nine feet tall and carry that sort of equipment, never mind fight in it, has got to count for something.
Bellator
Padawan Learner

Post by Bellator »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:He could've been a skinny tall shit who the Canaanites propped with paper mache to scare the dumb Hebrews until David figured it out and threw a rock in his face.
Why would the Philistines risk having Goliath exposed and thereby losing the entire battle, and why did they flee afterwards? If he wasn't as strong, why would it matter that David killed him by getting a lucky shot in?
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

Bellator wrote:Why would the Philistines risk having Goliath exposed and thereby losing the entire battle, and why did they flee afterwards? If he wasn't as strong, why would it matter that David killed him by getting a lucky shot in?
The Phillistines were Greek decended and Goliath was acting out in the best Greek tradition, IE, marching up and down the front of the battle lines calling out taunts to the strongest in the Hebrew army so they could square off before the battle and he could kill their best in front of them to demoralize them. Saul was supposedly the strongest of Hebrew army, but he refused to fight Goliath in single combat, which is how David ended up fighting him. This backfired when David cheated in the duel by using his sling to blind Goliath long enough to get hold of Goliath's sword and behead him.

The Phillistines knew this was a bad situation. If Goliath had successfully slain David, it would have been no triumph. After all, Goliath was their baddest dude, you expect him to be able to stomp a teenaged charioteer in single combat. Him LOSING to the single charioteer was devestating. If Saul had went out there and managed to kill Goliath, that would have been one thing, but Goliath dying at the hands of a boy? Ouch.
"Show me an angel and I will paint you one." - Gustav Courbet

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
Darth Hoth
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Hoth »

Lusankya wrote:That was the prophet Elisha, the not-quite-so-stupendous-as-the-prophet-Elijah.

To be fair, those punk kids probably deserved it for calling him "baldy".
Jewish and Christian apologists like to point out that the word translated as "boys" is somewhat ambiguous; at other points in the Bible it can refer to grown men and soldiers.

In later, non-canonical Jewish legends, they are portrayed as having really been merchants selling pure water to the people in Jericho who were angry with the prophet for spoiling their livelihood when he cleansed the well there, and sought to kill him.

As for the question, generally Samson is my bet here. Overall, as noted, in the Bible Israel tends to prevail through trickery or magic, though there are exceptions. Some other feats of extraordinary strength/resilience/combat prowess in the Bible:

*Shamgar, Son of Anath, does a mini-Samson by killing 600 Philistines with an ox goad in Judges 3.

*Various of "David's Heroes" do improbable things in 2. Samuel.

*Elijah the prophet outruns King Ahab's chariot in 1. Kings 18.

Though if you want superpowers, you might want to look at the Midrash legends. They are basically the EU for the Old Testament and uberwank everything. Samson, for example, there has the ability to tear mountains apart and (if I recall correctly) run faster than sound, Elijah is given Angelic powers and shapeshifts into a harlot to save a rabbi from persecution, and Sisera (the guy with the iron chariots who fought against Barak and Deborah in Judges) is given magical powers and commands an army of 4 billion (sic, 4,000,000,000) men . . .
"But there's no story past Episode VI, there's just no story. It's a certain story about Anakin Skywalker and once Anakin Skywalker dies, that's kind of the end of the story. There is no story about Luke Skywalker, I mean apart from the books."

-George "Evil" Lucas