SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Gramzamber
Jedi Knight

Re: Avatar review thread - NO SPOILERS UNTIL FRIDAY

Post by Gramzamber »

Hey I'd buy all of that if the big bad corporate and military dicks in the movie weren't in fact dicks.
And good luck getting your exclusive footage of the big bad corporation bombing the natives without FTL comms.
"No it's just Anacrap coming to whine and do nothing." -Mike Nelson on Anakin Skywalker
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Gramzamber wrote:Hey I'd buy all of that if the big bad corporate and military dicks in the movie weren't in fact dicks.
The government typically has a bigger dick than any corporation. Why shouldn't the RDA be worried about said dick being used to ravage their asshole without lube? Of course, it depends on the political climate back home, but the space-government was opposed to happy colonialism enough to tie down the RDA with regulations about their conduct on Pandora.
Gramzamber wrote:And good luck getting your exclusive footage of the big bad corporation bombing the natives without FTL comms.
What are they going to do, wipe the memories of everyone involved? The government placed some strict regulations on the RDA, all it would take would be someone credible informing them about the atrocities to spark a troublesome investigation.
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Darwin
Jedi Master

Post by Darwin »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:When did the glass impact shatter, anyway? During the combat scenes, none of the Na'vi got close enough to fire at them, they were too busy dying to break any cockpits. What shattered the Main Marine Bad Guy's cockpit canopy, again?
Jake ramming the same walker's hardened metal rifle bayonet through it with big leap and two-handed overhead smash?

Quite likely any wood/stone implement created by the na'vi would simply have shattered/skipped off.
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

Gramzamber wrote:Hey I'd buy all of that if the big bad corporate and military dicks in the movie weren't in fact dicks.
And good luck getting your exclusive footage of the big bad corporation bombing the natives without FTL comms.
So using WMDs is okay if it takes a while for the news to get around? Or could it be that you know, even the Corporate Guy was feeling bad after the bombing, based on his (and everyone in the control center's) expressions when the hometree was falling? Or how about when the next ship goes home, and half the passengers mention that they did something horrible?
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Darwin wrote:
Shroom Man 777 wrote:When did the glass impact shatter, anyway? During the combat scenes, none of the Na'vi got close enough to fire at them, they were too busy dying to break any cockpits. What shattered the Main Marine Bad Guy's cockpit canopy, again?
Jake ramming the same walker's hardened metal rifle bayonet through it with big leap and two-handed overhead smash?

Quite likely any wood/stone implement created by the na'vi would simply have shattered/skipped off.
Remember, too, that the final strike that broke the windshield was not the first hit on that windshield, which was already showing some damage/wear by that time. Beat on anything hard enough and long enough it will break, that doesn't make the material delicate and fragile.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Gramzamber
Jedi Knight

Post by Gramzamber »

Okay horrible as opposed to what, engaging in a ground war with mechs vs. natives? Either way you kill them and look like colonial imperialist assholes, at least bombing them wholesale lessens the casualties on the human side.
Yes I know that's what the whole Avatar thing is supposed to avoid but I find it an unlikely prospect at best that the natives will just be convinced to move.
"No it's just Anacrap coming to whine and do nothing." -Mike Nelson on Anakin Skywalker
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

Gramzamber wrote:Okay horrible as opposed to what, engaging in a ground war with mechs vs. natives? Either way you kill them and look like colonial imperialist assholes, at least bombing them wholesale lessens the casualties on the human side.
Yes I know that's what the whole Avatar thing is supposed to avoid but I find it an unlikely prospect at best that the natives will just be convinced to move.
You know, PR went to shit the instant military force was applied, because you're going to look like (and be) militant colonial assholes either way.

The point is: By deciding that you're going to that site anyway, you've already gone over the edge of 'militant colonial asshole'. RDA could have worked other sites. From that point on, it's damage control on how bad you're going to look. Bombing the hometree was bad, but MOABing the refugees and a holy site can only make it look worse.
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

Finally saw it last night.

Thoughts:
Effects wise, the landscapes were spectacular. The mechs and creatures less so in some sequences, especially in the beginning of the movie, they were too bright and a bit cartooney. The animals were spectacularly done though, and the Nav'i looked good, if a bit too "bright"/luminescent. (Glowy, you know what I mean?).

Plot wise:
The Nav'i were sickeningly ecofriendly, I mean we get it, they're the native americans and the good guys, but did he really have to make them like the goddamn
Ferngully forest fairies? Even Pocahontas had less super nice one with nature aboriginals!
Humans in the movie were borderline Weyland-Yutani dicks, I was expecting the Colonel to start eating puppies by the third act. Spoiler
The Colonel was one stupendously hard to kill badass :D.
The movie deserved a better class of video game, it has "Level up your mount!" ("horse"-Banshee[SPOILERS!]Spoiler
-Tamakta, Banshee-Cat-lion thing, etc'), and lots of multi stage boss fights (The Colonel).
The movie was surprisingly brutal (not just in the way that [SPOILERS!] Spoiler
so many characters were killed, but in terms of nameless Nav'i casualties), especially considering the early emphasis on trying to get the natives to leave peacefully going into "We'll nuke them and their culture" with exponential speed.
The movie flew by, and didn't drag on at all.

I have to agree with Stas Bush, if you didn't know that the Unobtanium was needed for interstellar flight, then you have the corporation going out [SPOILERS!] Spoiler
to slaughter the Nav'i and only holding back due to looking for an easier solution.
And to the idiots wanking about orbital bombardment - Did you miss the part where the bulldozers were extremely close to the tree? Or that even the whole main human base was less than 200 kilometers from it? Just how accurate do you think guiding an asteroid from orbit is :P.
And that's ignoring the fact that we didn't even see if they have any spaceships capable of that -
We saw the Earth-Pandora ship (which certainly didn't look capable of it, and wasn't even necessarily in the Pandora star system/Alpha Centauri) and the shuttles inside the planets atmosphere - We have shuttles on Earth today which can ferry people from orbit to the ground, that doesn't mean we can get asteroids from the other end of the solar system to rain down on a deposit full of valuable minerals we want to be able to mine. (and that's ignoring the fact that the [SPOILERS!] Spoiler
rockets worked perfectly fine for that, and for wiping out the Nav'i).
Overall a very good movie, and I regret not being able to see it in 3d.

* - Was I the only one disturbed by the whole Spoiler
"Stick your tentacle into any animal and it'll obey your every command"
thing?
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
adam_grif
Sith Devotee

Post by adam_grif »

Was I the only one disturbed by the whole
It's like a slashfic writer's wet dream.
A scientist once gave a public lecture on astronomy. He described how the Earth orbits around the sun and how the sun, in turn, orbits around the centre of a vast collection of stars called our galaxy.

At the end of the lecture, a little old lady at the back of the room got up and said: 'What you have told us is rubbish. The world is really a flat plate supported on the back of a giant tortoise.

The scientist gave a superior smile before replying, 'What is the tortoise standing on?'

'You're very clever, young man, very clever,' said the old lady. 'But it's turtles all the way down.'
Darwin
Jedi Master

Post by Darwin »

The Grim Squeaker wrote: * - Was I the only one disturbed by the whole Spoiler
"Stick your tentacle into any animal and it'll obey your every command"
thing?
To me, it's just more evidence that Pandora is an engineered system for.. something. An ecosystem that interconnected just doesn't come about on its own.
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

adam_grif wrote:
Was I the only one disturbed by the whole
It's like a slashfic writer's wet dream.
More like a wet dream.
It was especially hilarious when Neytiri was yelling at him to stick it Spoiler
into his Banshee so that it'd become one with him
. Connotations much? :D
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
adam_grif
Sith Devotee

Post by adam_grif »

More like a wet dream.
That's exactly what I said.
A scientist once gave a public lecture on astronomy. He described how the Earth orbits around the sun and how the sun, in turn, orbits around the centre of a vast collection of stars called our galaxy.

At the end of the lecture, a little old lady at the back of the room got up and said: 'What you have told us is rubbish. The world is really a flat plate supported on the back of a giant tortoise.

The scientist gave a superior smile before replying, 'What is the tortoise standing on?'

'You're very clever, young man, very clever,' said the old lady. 'But it's turtles all the way down.'
Nyrath
Padawan Learner

Post by Nyrath »

The Grim Squeaker wrote:More like a wet dream.
It was especially hilarious when Neytiri was yelling at him to stick it Spoiler
into his Banshee so that it'd become one with him
. Connotations much? :D
Worse than that, there was an example of lamp shade hanging in the scene where Spoiler
Jake Sully is fresh in his avatar body, sitting on his bunk while examining his plug-in. Dr. Augustine tells him "don't play with that, you'll go blind...." Har, har, it is to laugh.
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

I watched the movie, and I could have sworn someone was busy reading Frank Herbert's Dune. The similarities are too close to ignore. From the Messiah complex, to the way Sully was "accepted into the tribe" to just about a lot of plot points, sheesh... you could say this was Dune set in a slightly different setting, only this time in a huge jungle.
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

So if there's anything at all like a similarity between one story and another, then the author must have been cribbing from one of them?

Wow. Star Wars was such a Trek rip-off. I mean, both have space capital ships, just SW's are bigger and shinier. One could easily say it's just a more militant take on Trek set in a different part of space.
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Highlord Laan wrote:So if there's anything at all like a similarity between one story and another, then the author must have been cribbing from one of them?

Wow. Star Wars was such a Trek rip-off. I mean, both have space capital ships, just SW's are bigger and shinier. One could easily say it's just a more militant take on Trek set in a different part of space.
Wow, look at the strawman.

If you want to actually construct a retort, a better way is to demonstrate the differences of Fingolfin_Noldor's thoughts on Messiah Figure, how the main protagonists were accepted into the tribe, and other plot points.

But if you can't then, you are proving his point better then anything he has to say otherwise.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Geeze, I really don't think it had anything to do with Dune. Come on, there are binillions of movies where the white man foreigner gaijin protagonist got accepted by a strange and mystical noble culture of simpler but more spiritual folk. TOMO-KURUZU (Tom Cruise) did this in The Last Samurai, and so did Julie Roberts in The Last Inuit. This happens a whole lot in movies about Indians, Noble Savages, and stuff like that. Hell, if you want White Mangs being accepted as Messiahs, you can see that in films like The Road to El Dorado. What other plot points are there? Riding monsters, and Sandworms? That's not really too Dune-ish seeing as instead of dancing without rhythm or whatever, Avatar dealt with it via neural nets and we see more Native American in the taming of horses and pterodactyls.

It's not only on the desert world of Akkaris, known as Dune, where the spice melange flows and where the White Man is accepted by the mystical natives.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:I watched the movie, and I could have sworn someone was busy reading Frank Herbert's Dune. The similarities are too close to ignore. From the Messiah complex, to the way Sully was "accepted into the tribe" to just about a lot of plot points, sheesh... you could say this was Dune set in a slightly different setting, only this time in a huge jungle.
I agree with Shroom here; yeah they share some themes, but so do a lot of books/movies/stories in a setting where the author/story teller is regressing some 'modern' person into a simpler, older culture. Lots of movies, and god knows how many books, use these themes.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

Great movie other than the fact that the corporates were being dicks for the sake of emulating captain planet villains. Their crappy little army was clearly full of improvised weapons. Their laughable mechs looked like futuristic forklifts modified to mount guns. Their strategic bomber was a cargo shuttle with people pushing crates of mining explosives out of the open ramp. They either did not have or were not allowed to own any tanks, artillery, jet aircraft, nukes etc weapons of war. They were attacking an entire sentient planet with this shit just to lose and prove that evil never pays.
I have to tell you something everything I wrote above is a lie.
Nyrath
Padawan Learner

Post by Nyrath »

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:I watched the movie, and I could have sworn someone was busy reading Frank Herbert's Dune. The similarities are too close to ignore. From the Messiah complex, to the way Sully was "accepted into the tribe" to just about a lot of plot points, sheesh... you could say this was Dune set in a slightly different setting, only this time in a huge jungle.
Ummmmm, I take it you never saw the movie "Laurence of Arabia?"
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

I was slightly disturbed by the whole "taming the bird-thing" sequence where Sully first gets his flying mount. You know, the whole "jump on it, wrestle it down, then shove my head tentacle USB port into it until it gives up and submits to my will".
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Sarevok wrote:Great movie other than the fact that the corporates were being dicks for the sake of emulating captain planet villains.
Hey, if corporate Captain Planet villains killed off natives to steal their resources and colonize their land, or hired warlords who enslave women and children in conflict zones to have them mine blood diamonds for them, or had mercenaries in places like Iraq shoot up civilians and kidnap people and put them in secret prisons to be tortured, or screw people over with lousy health insurance deals or real-estate bubbles or Wall Street bankers, then it's pretty much realistic. Not just realistic, but grim and gritty too! :D
Their crappy little army was clearly full of improvised weapons. Their laughable mechs looked like futuristic forklifts modified to mount guns. Their strategic bomber was a cargo shuttle with people pushing crates of mining explosives out of the open ramp. They either did not have or were not allowed to own any tanks, artillery, jet aircraft, nukes etc weapons of war. They were attacking an entire sentient planet with this shit just to lose and prove that evil never pays.
They didn't know that the entire planet was sentient, and they seemed to be doing fine slaughtering the Na'vi. Hey, don't be sore that they weren't allowed to own tanks, artillery, jete aircraft or nukes or fractional orbital bombardment tactico-strategic dynamic soaring cruise control systems, mang. It's not like Blackwater has any of those either and they're actually assigned to an actual-factual warzone.

I doubt Blackwater contractors would fare any better if their guys got stampeded by like a thousand wildebeest in Africa or something. It's not like modern fighters or bombers can withstand the unmatched fury of mother nature when their jet engines suck in a seagull either.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

You know, thinking about it - how did the Eywa/Planetmind connect to all the various animals running around and tell them to attack the humans? At least with the na'vi, it seemed like they needed to "plug in" to various creatures in order to connect with them and control them. I thought the trees were connected by their roots.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Just saw the movie today.

I really liked it, the acting was great, the effects were spectacular (Spoony claimed that the film was outdone by 2012, which I find simply insane) and overall it was a great return for James Cameron to directing after an unfortunate absence.

He also certainly knows how to direct action - you always know exactly what's going on, with none of that jump-cutty bullshit that plagues other effects movies.

However, there were certain parts of the movie that bugged me.

* The plot wasn't anything special. It's like Pochahontas on an alien planet, with a tweeeest. It is elevated by just how technically excellent it is, but still, the plot didn't blow me away.
* Given the plot didn't blow me away, the running time was excessive given the story. It was pretty tightly written and there was an absence of really glaringly obvious plot holes, but I just couldn't help but think they could've easily trimmed 20-30 minutes from the running time and have come up with something a bit more efficient.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Does anyone know the super religious Movie review website? I would LOVE to read their review of Avatar concerning the movie clear has "tampering in Gods Domain" issues.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!