Machinegun guy

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

TheMuffinKing
Jedi Council Member

Machinegun guy

Post by TheMuffinKing »

Here is a drawing of a machinegun using mercenary soldier. I'll come up with an elaborate background later. Feel free to comment and make suggestions!

Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Re: Machinegun guy

Post by Ryan Thunder »

The uniform is excellent.
SDN Worlds 5: Sanctum
adam_grif
Sith Devotee

Post by adam_grif »

The machinegun certainly appears to have a prominent shoulder-thing-that-goes-up
A scientist once gave a public lecture on astronomy. He described how the Earth orbits around the sun and how the sun, in turn, orbits around the centre of a vast collection of stars called our galaxy.

At the end of the lecture, a little old lady at the back of the room got up and said: 'What you have told us is rubbish. The world is really a flat plate supported on the back of a giant tortoise.

The scientist gave a superior smile before replying, 'What is the tortoise standing on?'

'You're very clever, young man, very clever,' said the old lady. 'But it's turtles all the way down.'
TheMuffinKing
Jedi Council Member

Post by TheMuffinKing »

adam_grif wrote:The machinegun certainly appears to have a prominent shoulder-thing-that-goes-up
Yeah, I was going for a reinforced armored pad for the left arm as I suppose it would more exposed. If that is too weak a reason, I just think it looks cool!
Ryan Thunder wrote:The uniform is excellent.
Thanks, I had a lot of inspiration from my time in the AOR and from pics online. Molle FTW!
JointStrikeFighter
Worthless Trolling Palm-Fucker

Post by JointStrikeFighter »

He looks like he is playing an electric guitar. GUITAR MACHINE GUN!
adam_grif
Sith Devotee

Post by adam_grif »

TheMuffinKing wrote:
Yeah, I was going for a reinforced armored pad for the left arm as I suppose it would more exposed. If that is too weak a reason, I just think it looks cool!

I was making an obtuse reference to the barrel shroud on the MG, but ok.
A scientist once gave a public lecture on astronomy. He described how the Earth orbits around the sun and how the sun, in turn, orbits around the centre of a vast collection of stars called our galaxy.

At the end of the lecture, a little old lady at the back of the room got up and said: 'What you have told us is rubbish. The world is really a flat plate supported on the back of a giant tortoise.

The scientist gave a superior smile before replying, 'What is the tortoise standing on?'

'You're very clever, young man, very clever,' said the old lady. 'But it's turtles all the way down.'
TheMuffinKing
Jedi Council Member

Post by TheMuffinKing »

JointStrikeFighter wrote:He looks like he is playing an electric guitar. GUITAR MACHINE GUN!
This was originally intended but I redrew the thumb, I felt it looked weird. I must practice drawing thumbs.
adam_grif wrote:
TheMuffinKing wrote:

I was making an obtuse reference to the barrel shroud on the MG, but ok.
I fail at reading comprehension. :oops: I apologize, as for the barrel, I like the look of aircraft machineguns and the story of a WW2 Marine who salvaged some aircraft fighter guns inspired me to draw a weapon such as this. I know it's really impractical but the rule of cool won that battle.
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Post by Phantasee »

I think he could use some more pouches, man.
XXXI
TheMuffinKing
Jedi Council Member

Post by TheMuffinKing »

Phantasee wrote:I think he could use some more pouches, man.
Should I go the Leifeld look? I started throwing ink down, so it might be a problem, although I might be able to do something in PS...
Phantasee

Post by Phantasee »

If you're inking, then leave it as is. Or if you can do a different version with little effort in PS, go for that instead.
XXXI
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

This one is as excellent as it is. If you want a Liefeld, then draw an ugly drawing with no feet and misshapen proportions, and then add the pouches.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Phantasee

Post by Phantasee »

Yeah, you'd have to crop the feet off for the whole look.
XXXI
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

And draw the gun like a bent dick.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

You should colour him digitally or something, give him a digital desert camouflage and colourful insignia and badges.
'Alright guard, begin the unnecessarily slow moving dipping mechanism...' - Dr. Evil

'Secondly, I don't see why "income inequality" is a bad thing. Poverty is not an injustice. There is no such thing as causes for poverty, only causes for wealth. Poverty is not a wrong, but taking money from those who have it to equalize incomes is basically theft, which is wrong.' - Typical Randroid

'I think it's gone a little bit wrong.' - The Doctor
TheMuffinKing
Jedi Council Member

Post by TheMuffinKing »

Big Orange wrote:You should colour him digitally or something, give him a digital desert camouflage and colourful insignia and badges.
I plan to and I expect it to be quite the exercise as I haven't touched photoshop in ages.
adam_grif
Sith Devotee

Post by adam_grif »

Dude is not nearly muscled enough to resemble a Liefeld.

phred
Jedi Knight

Post by phred »

Good drawing. I wish I could do people.

Is it just me or does he have an unusually long torso?
"Siege warfare, French for spawn camp" WTYP podcast

It's so bad it wraps back around to awesome then back to bad again, then back to halfway between awesome and bad. Like if ed wood directed a godzilla movie - Duckie
TheMuffinKing
Jedi Council Member

Post by TheMuffinKing »

phred wrote:Good drawing. I wish I could do people.

Is it just me or does he have an unusually long torso?
No, I noticed it too. Chalk it up to my inexperience in anatomical drawing as I was primarily a mech artist in the not so distant past. So, yeah I'll inevitably have some wonky proportions for a while as I get more experience. Thanks though, pointing it out gives me something to practice and improve upon.
TheMuffinKing
Jedi Council Member

Post by TheMuffinKing »

I threw some ink on this in preparation for coloring in photoshop. I work the Leefield angle soon enough, don't worry, your penis guns will not be denied.

Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

Why the cod piece?
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Cool, I guess. The way he holds the weapon, let alone the odd way the arms are posed so he can grip it that way, are like a sliver in my mind though. The way he is holding it, all the weight of the weapon is on his trigger finger, and he has a backwards grip on the handle thingie up top (or is it an extension of the scope?) It just looks so cumbersome and odd it is distracting.

The rest of it looks neat, though a bit blocky in the gear.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
TheMuffinKing
Jedi Council Member

Post by TheMuffinKing »

Beowulf wrote:Why the cod piece?
It's just your standard groin protector, now a common sight in the imagery I used for inspiration.
Knife wrote:Cool, I guess. The way he holds the weapon, let alone the odd way the arms are posed so he can grip it that way, are like a sliver in my mind though. The way he is holding it, all the weight of the weapon is on his trigger finger, and he has a backwards grip on the handle thingie up top (or is it an extension of the scope?) It just looks so cumbersome and odd it is distracting.

The rest of it looks neat, though a bit blocky in the gear.
Thanks, I'm still working on drawing people and I began without a clear premise for my design. The guy got drawn in sections had zero forethought into positioning for weapons, poses, or gear. :( As for being cumbersome, yeah it is, I thought a guitar pose would be neat.

Here is the color scheme I'm toying with, not that I'm not married to the colors and was wondering if I should color it plainly or if I should reach for the brass ring of camouflage:

Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Depends, what kind of role did you imagine? Future Army warrior? Space Marine?

Desert cammo or at least coloring would be neat on him. Kaki and shades of brown would pull it off nicely, but so would a black/grey combo for security or perhaps elite type uniforms, perhaps a spacey feel.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
open_sketchbook
Jedi Master

Post by open_sketchbook »

Hmm. My biggest recommendation is to put down a horizon line before drawing; establish an "eyeline" to give a sense of perspective to the drawing. The feet of the soldier should not be flat against the ground unless your eyeline is an inch from the floor, for example.
1980s Rock is to music what Giant Robot shows are to anime
Think about it.

Cruising low in my N-1 blasting phat beats,
showin' off my chrome on them Coruscant streets
Got my 'saber on my belt and my gat by side,
this here yellow plane makes for a sick ride
TheMuffinKing
Jedi Council Member

Post by TheMuffinKing »

Here is some more coloring, honestly I'm not happy with it and intend to go in a different direction but I do feel it was a good experience in getting a cartoon look.