The Salvation War: Pantheocide. Part Eighty One Up

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Blayne
On Probation

Re: The Salvation War: Pantheocide. Part Forty Three Up

Post by Blayne »

I think thats a case of him needing to be a necessary asshole otherwise he might lose his trademark on Oots and infringe on his ability to make a living off of it.

He probably wants fan translations to be possible just can't do so the way that would be convenient.
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Blayne wrote:I think thats a case of him needing to be a necessary asshole otherwise he might lose his trademark on Oots and infringe on his ability to make a living off of it.
If it's solely a trademark or copyright issue he can (1) register and (2) grant limited rights.
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

Simon_Jester wrote:Burlew's problem is that by tradition, he releases two or three comics a week. So when he goes four days without a release, people start harassing him.

Anyone on this thread ought to know better; Stuart posts at long irregular intervals and always has, so far as I can tell.
Until readers from outside this forum and HPCA start asking Stuart for more. Waiting is part of the fun of reading, actually.

I had a dream about Cybele a few nights ago. I don't remember why, it was pretty trippy.
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.
Blayne
On Probation

Post by Blayne »

phongn wrote:
Blayne wrote:I think thats a case of him needing to be a necessary asshole otherwise he might lose his trademark on Oots and infringe on his ability to make a living off of it.
If it's solely a trademark or copyright issue he can (1) register and (2) grant limited rights.
I think it might be iffier then that, I've read its something he has already discussed with his lawyers and this is what they determined.
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

care to describe your dream pelranius?
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

It involved me walking around in a Roman temple during, I think it was the reign of Hadrian. I talked to an idol of Cybele which talked back to me and we ended up arguing if force feeding geese and ducks was cruel. I think I was arguing that it was, which makes it weird since I'm not really too big on animal rights. Then we started talking about the lack of traffic lights in Hsinchu, Taiwan. It seemed to make so much sense at the time.
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.
Vanzetti
Youngling

Post by Vanzetti »

if Israel just lost a large part of Tel-Aviv, wouldn`t it be smart tp build a new city for all those who died (name it Hell-Aviv :twisted:) and lay claim to a piece of Universe Two in the process? Preferably a piece with lots of minerals and oil.

Then they could start inviting all the dead jews to come there...
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

damn. that's far more fucked up then any of my dreams
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

Vanzetti wrote:if Israel just lost a large part of Tel-Aviv, wouldn`t it be smart tp build a new city for all those who died (name it Hell-Aviv :twisted:) and lay claim to a piece of Universe Two in the process? Preferably a piece with lots of minerals and oil.

Then they could start inviting all the dead jews to come there...
Given that there probably is already a zone for Jews in the next life, it would probably be convenient to name that New Tel Aviv, if there isn't already a city with that name.
Darth Yan wrote:damn. that's far more fucked up then any of my dreams
Some of the other ones I've had veer into not family friendly territory.
Jamesfirecat
Padawan Learner

Post by Jamesfirecat »

I'm sorry that my last post seemed to have sparked so much contraversy.

Stuart I'm glad to see that you're back, having just lost my Ipod and being near the point of wretching over it, the knowledge that if nothing else, I can still count on there being more Salvation War in the future puts a warm glow in my cockular region (the region located around the cockles of my heart) and lets me know that there's more to the future than the painful writing of letters telling relatives how I used all those nice checks they sent me for Christmas to pay for a mistake that could have been prevented if I'd been smart enough to put a little scotch tape on the top of my ipod holder to make sure that the thing didn't fall out....

You know that would be a good idea to look at from an abstract point of view sometime "great moments in history and how they could have been affected by a few strips of scotch/duct tape" since sometimes fate really does seem to be that fickle.

I guess the moral of the story is I'm probably not living the healthiest life imagianble when dropping my ipod causes me about as much mental suffering an angst as whatever poor bastard ended up dropping Special Order 191.

Sorry for making all of you read my self indulgent rant and I'll take this down if anyone wants me to....
Blayne
On Probation

Post by Blayne »

Probably best to apologize via pm, we all make mistakes.

Hey you said a Turtledove reference! *take a drink*
Mayabird
Storytime!

Post by Mayabird »

Argh. *sigh* Enough spam, people. I am seriously annoyed that my attempts to tell people not to spam lead to people spamming the thread up. Have something story-related to discuss or find something else to do with your life until the next update, because I'd like to keep this thread less bad than the previous one.
DPDarkPrimus is my boyfriend!

SDNW4 Nation: The Refuge And, on Nova Terra, Al-Stan the Totally and Completely Honest and Legitimate Weapons Dealer and Used Starship Salesman slept on a bed made of money, with a blaster under his pillow and his sombrero pulled over his face. This is to say, he slept very well indeed.
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

Couldn't you just lock it until Stuart posts the next installment?

On the story, it looked like they were fairly close to coming up with portals into Heaven based on the data gathered from the Burmese, which inevitably brings up the question of how they're planning their first strike. So my question for Stuart is, "how much does the human government already know about Heaven in terms of mapping, etc?" I would imagine that they've interrogated some of the higher-up, older demons (particularly Aginor) about everything they know about where stuff is, but memory can be unreliable, and the demons probably have a pre-modern view on maps.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

The most likely option would be to probably send in a combination of high speed fighters like the F-22A and MiG-31, complemented by various UAVs. The next step would be thunder runs by armored and mechanized units.
JBG
Padawan Learner

Post by JBG »

Guardsman Bass wrote:Couldn't you just lock it until Stuart posts the next installment?

On the story, it looked like they were fairly close to coming up with portals into Heaven based on the data gathered from the Burmese, which inevitably brings up the question of how they're planning their first strike. So my question for Stuart is, "how much does the human government already know about Heaven in terms of mapping, etc?" I would imagine that they've interrogated some of the higher-up, older demons (particularly Aginor) about everything they know about where stuff is, but memory can be unreliable, and the demons probably have a pre-modern view on maps.
You and Mayabird are right. Stuart has much on his plate. When he posts he posts and it is entirely up to him. No-one on HPCA is complaining that Lion Resurgent and Decimating the Diodachi have gone on holiday.

The thunder run idea though is most interesting. Clearly we need better intel about heaven. The thunder run into Baghdad was aided by good street maps. The thunder run into hell was over a plain. Putting to one side the issue of where the portal will end up, much recce has to be done otherwise humans will just beat up some place out the back of nowhere.

At the least what is required is recce by drones to work out some simple, local topography. Preferably close to the heavenly city.

After all that, who to send through. Hooters and the US Army have had their place in the sun, Given the state of Israel's two major cities, I see an Israeli battlegroup going on the first "charge in and shoot up whatever moves and does not move" incursion into heaven space. Also, there's only non-friendlies there so blue on blue issues are of lesser significance.
Blayne
On Probation

Post by Blayne »

I would love to see the Merkerva in action.

We should be very careful though, Heaven is large and appears to have almost a billion angels each one capable of at-will using sonic booms to destory stuff, I imagine these could mission kill tanks.

This will be bloody like a hypothetical invasion of the home islands of Japan.
Vanzetti
Youngling

Post by Vanzetti »

Its Merkava, not Merkerva. 8)
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Blayne wrote:I would love to see the Merkerva in action.

We should be very careful though, Heaven is large and appears to have almost a billion angels each one capable of at-will using sonic booms to destory stuff, I imagine these could mission kill tanks.

This will be bloody like a hypothetical invasion of the home islands of Japan.
The sonic attacks are going to be way more effective against planes than against solidly built, heavily armored tanks. Tanks are designed to shrug off things that would reduce aircraft in flight to confetti.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

JBG wrote: After all that, who to send through. Hooters and the US Army have had their place in the sun, Given the state of Israel's two major cities, I see an Israeli battlegroup going on the first "charge in and shoot up whatever moves and does not move" incursion into heaven space. Also, there's only non-friendlies there so blue on blue issues are of lesser significance.
Well, there are all those humans in Heaven already, but I doubt that their well being is really high on anyone's list right now. "Sucks to be them", to quote General Casey.
Vanzetti
Youngling

Post by Vanzetti »

IDF should do a thunder run with those:

When you have D9, you don`t need maps. :twisted:
Saint_007
Youngling

Post by Saint_007 »

Well, there are 1 billion angels in Heaven -

But aren't 75% of those civilians? Okay, sure, they can use sonic screams, but unless Yahweh is pulling a National Redoubt, I don't think those civilians will be able to do much with that sonic scream in the face of artillery and heavy firepower.

Actually, know what? Yahweh might just try to do that. Order his faithful to die in droves for him - something which Michael is desperately trying to avoid.

EDIT: And on general principle, I'm avoiding this thread until the next installation comes along. No sense in getting worked up over old news and speculation.
Proud Member of the Myrmidons
Blayne
On Probation

Post by Blayne »

Vanzetti wrote:IDF should do a thunder run with those:

When you have D9, you don`t need maps. :twisted:
Put a 200mm cannon on it and your half way to a Lemon Rus.
Vanzetti
Youngling

Post by Vanzetti »

Blayne wrote: Put a 200mm cannon on it and your half way to a Lemon Rus.
Well, I guess you could combine it with the 2S4 Tyulpan.
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

Personally I think a 30mm GAU-8 Gatling cannon would be preferable. Or several (might be a good idea to add on some sort of cooling system and jury rig in more ammo storage, since Heaven is probably going to be pretty target rich).
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner
Location: Louisiana... or Dagobah. You know, where Yoda lives.

Post by Einhander Sn0m4n »

Pelranius wrote:Personally I think a 30mm GAU-8 Gatling cannon would be preferable. Or several (might be a good idea to add on some sort of cooling system and jury rig in more ammo storage, since Heaven is probably going to be pretty target rich).
I suspect past a certain point it's better to give each gun its own dedicated hull than try to cram two or more into a single bigger more vulnerable hull with a new magazine and a new cooling system, and possibly a new engine. We could just take the KISS route and put dozer blades and new targeting software on our already existing SPAAGs and IFVs for a pittance, assuming things like the Shilka, Tunguska, and Flakpanzer Gepard actually have the requisite mount points or can be modified eaily, otherwise they go without. It's still wanktastic to imagine self-propelled Goalkeeper 'dozers of doom on the Heaven thunder run, but they still have the unfortunate disadvantage of needing to be designed, engineered, and built. :lol:
Image Image