What are you reading right now?

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Re: What are you reading right now?

Post by His Divine Shadow »

Reading Stephen Baxters "Transcendent". I'm about half way through and the Tom character is seriously grinding on my nerves. Hope he stops being a cunt by the end.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
Sinewmire
Padawan Learner

Post by Sinewmire »

Bernard Cornwall's newest, "The Burning Land" another story of Uhtred of Bebbanburg. I luke Uhtred, he's a horrible git, arrogant, warlike hostile and blustering.
"Our terror has to be indiscriminate, otherwise innocent people will cease to fear"
-Josef Stalin
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Let me know what you think of that Temeraire series as it's on my shortlist for "next fiction series to look at".
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

On to R.A. Salvatore's Exile, book two in the Drizzt biography. Next in line is Sojourn
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Bob the Gunslinger
Has not forgotten the face of his father

Post by Bob the Gunslinger »

Broomstick wrote:On to R.A. Salvatore's Exile, book two in the Drizzt biography. Next in line is Sojourn
Are these the books known collectively as "The Icewind Dale Series"?

I, also, am curious about Temeraire.
"Gunslinger indeed. Quick draw, Bob. Quick draw." --Count Chocula

"Unquestionably, Dr. Who is MUCH lighter in tone than WH40K. But then, I could argue the entirety of WWII was much lighter in tone than WH40K." --Broomstick

"This is ridiculous. I look like the Games Workshop version of a Jedi Knight." --Harry Dresden, Changes

"Like...are we canonical?" --Aaron Dembski-Bowden to Dan Abnett
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

Dartzap wrote:Just finished My Shit Life So Far, Frankie says at the end that he intends to get out of the buisiness in the next year, which is pretty shit.

Just got aload of 40k/WHF book, as well as the first His Majesties Dragons book, which I hear good things about.
Frankie's quitting comedy? Oh, man, now who's going to make myself and all my mates roar with laughter at those dirty, dirty scots?
"Doctors keep their scalpels and other instruments handy, for emergencies. Keep your philosophy ready too—ready to understand heaven and earth. In everything you do, even the smallest thing, remember the chain that links them. Nothing earthly succeeds by ignoring heaven, nothing heavenly by ignoring the earth." M.A.A.A
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

I'm reading Andrew Bacevich's The New American Militarism, and William Easterly's White Man's Burden. I'm not too far into the first one, but unlike the other Bacevich writings I've read, it's not been a complete snooze at least to the point I'm at. Easterly is, of course, interesting - think of him and Jeffrey Sachs as being opposite poles of the Foreign Aid Mechanism planet.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Raesene
Jedi Master

Post by Raesene »

weemadando wrote:Let me know what you think of that Temeraire series as it's on my shortlist for "next fiction series to look at".
The one with the dragon ? Not really challenging literature (I'd compare it to the Potter-series), but fun to read due to the setting's premise (which I loved).

"In view of the circumstances, Britannia waives the rules."

"All you have to do is to look at Northern Ireland, [...] to see how seriously the religious folks take "thou shall not kill. The more devout they are, the more they see murder as being negotiable." George Carlin

"We need to make gay people live in fear again! What ever happened to the traditional family values of persecution and lies?" - Darth Wong
"The closet got full and some homosexuals may have escaped onto the internet?"- Stormbringer

Eleventh Century Remnant
Jedi Council Member

Post by Eleventh Century Remnant »

On a lighter note, just found Dan Abnett's Titanicus in softback, read through it once for fun and now dissecting it for techie bits; more seriously, a secondhand copy of Gordon Craig's "The Politics of the Prussian Army", and being quite surprised (although I should have known better) that Gerhard von Scharnhorst was an enlightened liberal. Also Donald L. Miller's "Eighth Air Force."
The only purpose in my still being here is the stories and the people who come to read them. About all else, I no longer care.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Bob the Gunslinger wrote:
Broomstick wrote:On to R.A. Salvatore's Exile, book two in the Drizzt biography. Next in line is Sojourn
Are these the books known collectively as "The Icewind Dale Series"?
Nope! Homeland, Exile, and Sojourn are the "Dark Elf Trilogy". Icewind Dale is the second Drizzt Trilogy. (though it actually was the first three books published). Following that is the tetralogy, "Legacy of the Drow". There is also "Hunter's Blade Trilogy" and "Transitions" trilogy.

I don't normally read fantasy, but I was curious as to this character who managed to get so many books written about him. Staying power is not always indicative of quality (sometimes, it's just good marketing) but it can be an indication of such. Not sure I'll read every Drizzt book, but so far it's been a fun ride.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Bob the Gunslinger

If I were planning to read some of the Drizzt books, should I start with the first published series, Icewind Dale, seeing as it was obviously popular enough to launch the juggernaut, or start with the chronologically first, but maybe not as good, Dark Elf Trilogy?

"Unquestionably, Dr. Who is MUCH lighter in tone than WH40K. But then, I could argue the entirety of WWII was much lighter in tone than WH40K." --Broomstick

"This is ridiculous. I look like the Games Workshop version of a Jedi Knight." --Harry Dresden, Changes

Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

I just finished reading Savrola, a curious little novel written by Winston Churchill (yes, THE Winston Churchill, not the American writer with the same name). It is a pretty interesting look at imperialism, and has a nicely done bittersweet ending.
Lord Pounder
Pretty Hate Machine

Post by Lord Pounder »

At the behest of my beautiful girlfriend I started reading the Harry Potter books. Read the first 3 in the last few days. I never got caught up in the Harry Potter hype and have made a point of ignoring the movies yet I find myself hooked by them.
RIP Yosemite Bear
Gone, Never Forgotten
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Bob the Gunslinger wrote:If I were planning to read some of the Drizzt books, should I start with the first published series, Icewind Dale, seeing as it was obviously popular enough to launch the juggernaut, or start with the chronologically first, but maybe not as good, Dark Elf Trilogy?
:::shrug::: I don't know, I've only been reading Drizzt books about 4 days now myself. I started with Dark Elf. I suppose you can start with Icewind Dale which, presumably, is able to stand on its own. I have noticed that when the action/story might call for knowledge of prior events from before the current novel Salvatore does provide sufficient background in an unobtrusive manner. I suspect they're all, to greater or lesser degree, stand alone novels that could be reach in almost any order. Don't know for sure, but that's my impression.

Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

Just started re-reading Stainsław Lem's Eden in English. I enjoyed the Hungarian version, but did not understand some of the descriptions. I wonder with a slightly more mature mind and with what looks like an accurate English translation, whether I will get different results.

I took it in because I grew a bit tired of the non-fiction textbook style stuff I read but never go much beyond the first chapter, if to that at all.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Right now I'm reading Ian Kershaw's Fateful Choices.

It's not bad so far.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Jade Falcon
Jedi Council Member

Post by Jade Falcon »

Reading Clarksons latest, it's definitely not his best. Although his last few are basically collections of his newspaper columns these just aren't as interesting. Two of his best were Motorworld and I Know You've got Soul.
Don't Move you're surrounded by Armed Bastards - Gene Hunt's attempt at Diplomacy

I will not make any deals with you. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own - Number 6

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.
[R_H]
Sith Devotee

Post by [R_H] »

Armor, by Richard Ogorkiewicz. It hasn't been lent out for sometime, I found a due-date slip from 1981 in it.
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

Lord Pounder wrote:At the behest of my beautiful girlfriend I started reading the Harry Potter books. Read the first 3 in the last few days. I never got caught up in the Harry Potter hype and have made a point of ignoring the movies yet I find myself hooked by them.
They do tend to do that. Wait until you get to the later books. :D

I just finished Richard Morgan's The Steel Remains. I liked it, although the viewpoint characters start to sound alike after a while.

I'm about to start on Richard Preston's The Hot Zone - apparently I had the sucker sitting in my book pile and forgot about it. I'm also tempted to do a full re-read of Song of Ice and Fire, but I just know that doing so will just make me disappointed over the long wait for the fifth book all over again.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Lord Pounder
Pretty Hate Machine

Post by Lord Pounder »

Started reading Necroscope by Brian Lumly last night. Even though the setting is a little dated now it's a very good read and flows well. Love the creepy atmosphere, though dislike the card board cut out EVIL COMMIE RUSSIAN's.
RIP Yosemite Bear
Gone, Never Forgotten
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

Reading and Greatly enjoying "The Painted Man" by Peter V Brett.
Interesting, very well written and good realistic characters and world. Flows fast and well, without falling into any pitfalls.
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Bob the Gunslinger

The Grim Squeaker wrote:Reading and Greatly enjoying "The Painted Man" by Peter V Brett.
Interesting, very well written and good realistic characters and world. Flows fast and well, without falling into any pitfalls.
I second this selection, although in the US, it's called "The Warded Man". I thought the book was an open-ended stand alone when I read it, but it turns out that there is a sequel coming out soon, The Desert Spear.

I've finished the Mercy Thompson and Kitty Norville series and loved them both. The latest Kitty Norville even gets props for including a crazy fundie who hunts "inhuman monsters, such as witches, vampires, werewolves and atheists" and goes after a stand-in for Richard Dawkins. I'm starting Nightlife, re-reading Ciaphas Cain, finishing up Percy Jackson and the Olympions (on book 4 now), reading A Thousand Sons and picking up a Karen Chance novel to work into my schedule soon.

RazorOutlaw
Padawan Learner

Post by RazorOutlaw »

I was reading:

Finding Darwin's God by Kenneth Miller - During my first reading of Finding Darin's God I noticed a lot of the arguments against creationism had been used in the later Only a Theory. That was a bit disappointing. He also had, for a believer, very few arguments against the "Gods of Disbelief", like Dawkins and Dennet although he does devote a sizeable chapter to outlining how they use biology to justify their views. The later chapters on God and physics were thought provoking, to me at least, if a little dry. I didn't quite grasp everything that was said in relation to physics and his arguments were dense.

He only had a chapter or two justifying his beliefs in God and I ultimately felt underwhelmed. But maybe he had so little about God because of his integrity as a scientist and not his overwhelming need to be a Christian apologist.

I am reading:

Pragmatism by William James - I picked this up at the library. Interesting so far...he reminds me of the phrase "Can't we all just get along?" He grasps at the horns of the conflict between rationalism and empiricism from the get-go which piqued my interest. However, if there ever was a true conflict between the two philosophies, it must have existed in 1902...

The Courage To Be by Paul Tillich - I got this at the library too. He's a German theologian. I suspect I won't be walking away from this one a believer but, as I read more on philosophy, I nontheless found his ideas on God interesting. And it's nice to know what Protestant theologians think in contrast to everything I grew up with in the Catholic church.

The Selfish Gene by Richard Dawkins - Library again! Not what I expected because I kept thinking of his "The God Delusion", but Kenneth Miller said it was "the best book" on behavior ever written. So far it's only barely dry because Dawkins a very lucid writer.

The Witcher: The Last Wish by Andrezj Sapokowski - I've enjoyed every bit I've read so far and I actually own this one. I haven't really read fiction in over a year so reading about Geralt be a stud/assassin is a wonderful change of pace. The theme of evil in the last story I read was neat too and fit nicely into the philosophy books I've been reading.
Sig.
Bob the Gunslinger

Stark wrote:Eastern European (and Russian) fantasy is in my experience far better than western.
Can you please give us a few titles and authors besides Nightwatch and Lyubyenko (or whatever his name is)? I would be interested in reading such novels but I have no idea where to start.