At last! The AI robot girlfriend is here

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Vastatosaurus Rex
BANNED

Re: At last! The AI robot girlfriend is here

Post by Vastatosaurus Rex »

Sarevok wrote:People with the money to buy state of the art robotic mannequins will find no shortage of attractive human females.
That was exactly what I was going to say.
And lo, the beast looked upon the face of beauty. And it stayed its hand from killing. And from that day, it was as one dead.
---Old Arabian Proverb
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Singular Intellect wrote:I certainly think it would be creepy having the mentality of a child (and we haven't even gotten that far yet). Does the humanoid form of adulthood really turn the switch for some people with regards to mental capability?
On the other hand - a child-looking sexbot with a child's mentality might be enough to keep some pedophiles occupied and away from real children... which is arguably a good thing for society.
Themightytom wrote:That better be self cleaning.
Ew. Yes, please. Forget walking and talking, make it self-douching.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Sarevok wrote:I imagine a clone of a person of ones choice would be far far more fulfilling than a doll with microprocessors.
Except for the details that a human clone is a real human being with a real brain and personality, and that keeping a human clone as a sex toy is slavery... um, sure. Just don't worry about the ethics of such a thing.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Singular Intellect
Jedi Council Member

Post by Singular Intellect »

Broomstick wrote:
Singular Intellect wrote:I certainly think it would be creepy having the mentality of a child (and we haven't even gotten that far yet). Does the humanoid form of adulthood really turn the switch for some people with regards to mental capability?
On the other hand - a child-looking sexbot with a child's mentality might be enough to keep some pedophiles occupied and away from real children... which is arguably a good thing for society.
That's a goood point, Broomstick.

I could see some people suggesting that would only encourage the behavior though (retarded logic, but you just know it'll pop up).
"Now let us be clear, my friends. The fruits of our science that you receive and the many millions of benefits that justify them, are a gift. Be grateful. Or be silent." -Modified Quote
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

I imagine a clone of a person of ones choice would be far far more fulfilling than a doll with microprocessors.
Not if the doll acts realistically enough. An AI, for one, does not have the capacity to suffer and will find its own sexual exploitation by its owner a good thing. Thus it will actively SEEK and DESIRE to do it. An AI only has to act emotions, thus does not have the emotional requirements of a real person (then of course is the philosophic problem of what happens if the AI thinks that its emotions ARE "real").
The most deep problem would be enough refinement: I have little doubt that the sexdoll in the article will be highly improved by halfway this century (assuming GlobalWarming-NuclearWar-OilWars doesn't kill us all).

Meanwhile, for a human (which is what a clone is really) the same thing would be horrible and would be prostitution at best and rapist slavery at worst.
Yeah, but the problem is that then the pedophiles would then be encouraged to act on their destructive desire. It would only be a matter of opportunity for a paedophile to do what he normally does on a real, human child instead of a sexbot.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Zixinus wrote:
Yeah, but the problem is that then the pedophiles would then be encouraged to act on their destructive desire. It would only be a matter of opportunity for a paedophile to do what he normally does on a real, human child instead of a sexbot.
Hmm.... maybe if it was combined with some form of conditioning (or threat of punishment) to help focus urges on the sexbot rather than real children...

It may not work in all circumstances, but it might work in some. Not all pedophiles act on their urges, there are cases of men who remain entirely celibate because they know their sexual impulses are wrong and do not get in trouble with the law. There probably are a sub-group of pedophiles for whom sufficiently realistic sexbots would be acceptable outlet for their urges, thereby reducing the chances of them harming a real child. There are also, no doubt, some pedophiles who really are unrepentant monsters who must be kept locked up away from society, too.

Ariphaos
Jedi Council Member

Post by Ariphaos »

Starglider wrote: Doing that realistically would be difficult. Not AI-level difficult, but it's a significant engineering challenge. Even assuming you have two sex bots (one at each end, each morphologically close to the users) so that no VR is required, you need reliable full body motion tracking, ideally of naked people. There will inevitably be differences in geometry that prevent a direct motion mapping, plus sensor errors, so some smart interpolation will be required, plus assorted safety protocols to prevent injury when something inevitably crashes.

OTOH just making the bot controlled by some buttons on a web interface would be easy. If and when these things are common it will be easy for phone sex line companies to include 'sex bot driving' along with the dirty talk.
Difficult is fine. I'll take difficult over the legal and ethical issues surrounding cloning any day. I was talking about twenty years of additional research behind every conceivable field, after all.
Broomstick wrote:On the other hand - a child-looking sexbot with a child's mentality might be enough to keep some pedophiles occupied and away from real children... which is arguably a good thing for society.
I would much rather see a cure administered, honestly. There is a point at which mental issues are sufficiently disruptive that we should not, as a society, have to compensate for them, rather than solve them.
Give fire to a man, and he will be warm for a day.
Set him on fire, and he will be warm for life.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

That's a great sentiment, the main problem with it being there is no cure at present for pedophilia. We can offer only imprisonment or, if the individual has sufficient strength of will, complete celibacy in regards to those urges.

I agree, a cure would be much preferable but as we don't have one all we can offer, at best, is management of the problem. Until their is a cure, I don't have an issue with better management tools.

Ariphaos
Jedi Council Member

Post by Ariphaos »

Broomstick wrote:That's a great sentiment, the main problem with it being there is no cure at present for pedophilia. We can offer only imprisonment or, if the individual has sufficient strength of will, complete celibacy in regards to those urges.

I agree, a cure would be much preferable but as we don't have one all we can offer, at best, is management of the problem. Until their is a cure, I don't have an issue with better management tools.
There are no child-sized androids or gynoids, either. They are by nature going to be more difficult to produce, as well.
Give fire to a man, and he will be warm for a day.
Set him on fire, and he will be warm for life.