Snow in the UK

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Artemas
Padawan Learner

Re: Snow in the UK

Post by Artemas »

Phantasee wrote:
It's refreshing to see a Calgarian talk about the dark side of those lovely chinooks you guys get. All I ever hear is "lol -40C? we've got chinooks".
Well now that you've been refreshed, I should say that it has been 5 above for the past week. But at least i'm not from Victoria. There are some smug assholes right there.
"-30? Oh, well it's 20 above and the flowers are blooming. Aren't the flowers blooming there?"

Chinooks are like a night on the town. Fucking fantastic at the time, but then you wake up and realize that she isn't at all attractive your front walk is a skating rink. For some its doubly accurate because they also get headaches.

EDIT: A search for calgary herald chinooks brings up a lot of pictures of a Sarah Palin lookalike in a bikini. Also helicopters.
Shrooms: It's interesting that the taste of blood is kind of irony.
Isolder74
Official SD.Net Ace of Cakes

Post by Isolder74 »

Glocksman wrote:IMHO it all depends, as others have said, on what you're used to.
Down here in the ass end of Indiana, we get brutal summers (90°F+ with high humidity) and fairly severe winters.
Nothing like Toronto or Calgary, but we do get enough severe snowstorms that I really don't care about about storms less than 4 inches (10.16cm) or so.

More than that and I'm reluctant to go out in it before the county road crews have plowed and salted unless I have to.

Though as I said previously, I'd rather deal with 6 inches of snow than an inch of freezing rain.
There are too many assholes around here that seem to believe four wheel drive exempts them from sliding on ice and drive accordingly.
Protip: It does not.
I lived through a freezing rain storm while I was living in Chicago. It was rather amazing how many people got out ice skates to get around that morning. It was the biggest pain in the neck to get anywhere or do anything but it sure was pretty with an half inch of ice coating everything.

and i don't that that there is a type of car that can actually drive on that stuff that isn't used by James Bond!
Hapan Battle Dragons Rule!
When you want peace prepare for war! --Confusious
That was disapointing ..Should we show this Federation how to build a ship so we may have worthy foes? Typhonis 1
The Prince of The Writer's Guild|HAB Spacewolf Tank General| God Bless America!
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Post by Phantasee »

Artemas wrote:
Phantasee wrote:
It's refreshing to see a Calgarian talk about the dark side of those lovely chinooks you guys get. All I ever hear is "lol -40C? we've got chinooks".
Well now that you've been refreshed, I should say that it has been 5 above for the past week. But at least i'm not from Victoria. There are some smug assholes right there.
"-30? Oh, well it's 20 above and the flowers are blooming. Aren't the flowers blooming there?"

Chinooks are like a night on the town. Fucking fantastic at the time, but then you wake up and realize that she isn't at all attractive your front walk is a skating rink. For some its doubly accurate because they also get headaches.

EDIT: A search for calgary herald chinooks brings up a lot of pictures of a Sarah Palin lookalike in a bikini. Also helicopters.
It's been pretty nice here as well, it was 2-5 above for a couple days, and then it dipped just below freezing, which made the roads very slippery where they were cleared, and very deep slush where they hadn't been. But I got around with just a sweater so it was nice. It was -10 or so this morning but I think it's closer to 0 now, which makes me a little thankful I got stuck with only afternoon classes this semester.

I can't help you with the Palin look-a-like.
XXXI
Vastatosaurus Rex
BANNED

Post by Vastatosaurus Rex »

As someone who is not exactly ecstatic about the windy chill we get here in Monterey, CA every winter (and most of the year for that matter), I'd hate to suffer the conditions that both Zac and Mike have to endure.
And lo, the beast looked upon the face of beauty. And it stayed its hand from killing. And from that day, it was as one dead.
---Old Arabian Proverb