The Salvation War: Pantheocide. Part Eighty One Up

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

JN1
Padawan Learner

Re: The Salvation War: Pantheocide. Part Forty Five Up

Post by JN1 »

Nice work, Stu; good points about us humans not knowing quite when to stop when building engines of destruction, and about how much progress that can be made in as little as twenty years.
We call this the Edward The Second treatment. A human king once upset his nobles so they killed him that way.
Ouch! I believe some historians dispute that is how Edwards II died.
'Fire up the Quattro!'
'I'm arresting you for murdering my car, you dyke-digging tosspot! - Gene Hunt.
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

:shock: Salaphael had no clue. My guess azrael or Chammy are the ones who arranged the nuke, and that azy works for the others. Also, I think that Lemy will be horrified, try to warn yah yah, almost get killed, and then when his warnings are dismissed, joins the humans; through talks with some of the humans, he comes to terms to his shattered world view, and eventually denounces yahweh. (I pmed stewart a calling out speech where an angel denounces yahweh and spits on him, and stew said he knew exactly who could use it.) Lemy will also give the humans a portal into heaven, causing mikey to undergo the mother of all villianous breakdowns.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Stuart wrote:You missed this bit

"His hands secured by golden shackles, his mind by the dogma he had taken for granted all his life"

yes, he could break those golden shackles easily, just as easily as he could break the shackles that hold his mind prisoner. All he has to do is start questioning the words handed down to him as holy writ. But he doesn't do either even though both are easily within his capabilities. He's holding himself prisoner by not using his physical and mental abilities to the full.
Understandable, but if I were Michael I'd want to put my prisoners in shackles I knew would at least be difficult for them to break. It's all very well to rely on the prisoner's indoctrination to make sure he won't try, but... Still.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Hofner1962
Redshirt

Post by Hofner1962 »

Simon_Jester wrote:
Stuart wrote:You missed this bit

"His hands secured by golden shackles, his mind by the dogma he had taken for granted all his life"

yes, he could break those golden shackles easily, just as easily as he could break the shackles that hold his mind prisoner. All he has to do is start questioning the words handed down to him as holy writ. But he doesn't do either even though both are easily within his capabilities. He's holding himself prisoner by not using his physical and mental abilities to the full.
Understandable, but if I were Michael I'd want to put my prisoners in shackles I knew would at least be difficult for them to break. It's all very well to rely on the prisoner's indoctrination to make sure he won't try, but... Still.
They were described as golden - not gold. It could be that they were of some sort of unobtainium that angels can't break. Of course with Stuart weighing in it is much harder to argue this point.
R011
Youngling

Post by R011 »

JN1 wrote:Ouch! I believe some historians dispute that is how Edwards II died.
Even if it isn't, Michael's not obligated to be completely accurate speaking to one of his prisoners.
DAVE AAA
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

R011 wrote:
Even if it isn't, Michael's not obligated to be completely accurate speaking to one of his prisoners.
I've heard other names for the 'treatment' though. I thought Michael would have probably come up with another name for it.

Lemuel's family could easily push him to do interesting things. What if he decides to bring his wife in (people in bad domestic situations do pretty weird things).
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

I think the point is that Michael wanted his victims to break out if they had the will, wanted them to openly rebel against the authority of the League to give him a lever to use on their psyches with time.
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

OK, now that makes sense. Also the idea that the shackles are gold leaf beaten onto something stronger- at least something that would resist being broken, even if it's still breakable should the prisoner try to use his full strength.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Jamesfirecat
Padawan Learner

Post by Jamesfirecat »

Nice to see that "Fluffy" won't be gearing up for another go at Earth, so that means scratch two of the four beasts.

That said, I'm surprised by how even the balance of power is in Lemurile's relationship. Given that Yahweh seems to have some serious issues with women I'm surprised that an angel can get "banished to the couch" by his wife, and he is left with no choice but to accept it...
Ted C
Sith Marauder

Post by Ted C »

Jamesfirecat wrote:That said, I'm surprised by how even the balance of power is in Lemurile's relationship. Given that Yahweh seems to have some serious issues with women I'm surprised that an angel can get "banished to the couch" by his wife, and he is left with no choice but to accept it...
I daresay that Yahweh would approve if Lemuel just beat his wife into submission, but since Lemuel is actually a more moral being than Yahweh, that's not the sort of relationship he wants with is wife. Unfortunately, actually talking with her and working out what they need to do to repair their marriage is such an alien concept to Angels that it simply hasn't occurred to Lemuel, and the idea of a competent marriage counselor in Heaven is just unimaginable.
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."
-- The King of Swamp Castle, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

"Nothing of consequence happened today. " -- Diary of King George III, July 4, 1776

"This is not bad; this is a conspiracy to remove happiness from existence. It seeks to wrap its hedgehog hand around the still beating heart of the personification of good and squeeze until it is stilled."
-- Chuck Sonnenburg on Voyager's "Elogium"
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

bring on the lamb and dragon
Stuart
Sith Devotee

Post by Stuart »

Indeed so; in fact some historians believe he wasn't killed at all but was exiled and died in Northern Italy.
pelranius wrote:I've heard other names for the 'treatment' though. I thought Michael would have probably come up with another name for it.
You're probably right but the Eddie-Two is one that most people will get right away so its a better choice for telling a story.
Nations do not survive by setting examples for others
Nations survive by making examples of others
UnderAGreySky
Jedi Knight

Post by UnderAGreySky »

Both TBO and Armageddon have been a nice set of tales through which I've gotten to know about human history...

....that said, the exact method of Edward II's death was something I wouldn't have minded not knowing :shock:
Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies,
Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earth-bound misfit, I
Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

Would love to see an "angelic interest" scene from Onniel's point of view. I wonder what Lemuel's idea of reconciling with his wife is? I'm guessing that it's deeper than him simply having been away for so long due to his undercover work with the League...

... unless she's been in Michael-lan's pay all along? :shock:
"Yee's proposal is exactly the sort of thing I would expect some Washington legal eagle to do. In fact, it could even be argued it would be unrealistic to not have a scene in the next book of, say, a Congressman Yee submit the Yee Act for consideration. :D" - bcoogler on this

"My crystal ball is filled with smoke, and my hovercraft is full of eels." - Bayonet

Stark: "You can't even GET to heaven. You don't even know where it is, or even if it still exists."
SirNitram: "So storm Hell." - From the legendary thread
Jamesfirecat
Padawan Learner

Post by Jamesfirecat »

Ted C wrote:
Jamesfirecat wrote:That said, I'm surprised by how even the balance of power is in Lemurile's relationship. Given that Yahweh seems to have some serious issues with women I'm surprised that an angel can get "banished to the couch" by his wife, and he is left with no choice but to accept it...
I daresay that Yahweh would approve if Lemuel just beat his wife into submission, but since Lemuel is actually a more moral being than Yahweh, that's not the sort of relationship he wants with is wife. Unfortunately, actually talking with her and working out what they need to do to repair their marriage is such an alien concept to Angels that it simply hasn't occurred to Lemuel, and the idea of a competent marriage counselor in Heaven is just unimaginable.

Good point, there sometimes is a difference between what is allowed and what one wants. Still, given that she seems to be giving him such a powerful version of the silent treatment I wonder how long it will be till they're drawing a line straight down the middle of the house....
Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

Judging by their characterizations in the last chapter, I think it already exists.
"Yee's proposal is exactly the sort of thing I would expect some Washington legal eagle to do. In fact, it could even be argued it would be unrealistic to not have a scene in the next book of, say, a Congressman Yee submit the Yee Act for consideration. :D" - bcoogler on this

"My crystal ball is filled with smoke, and my hovercraft is full of eels." - Bayonet

Stark: "You can't even GET to heaven. You don't even know where it is, or even if it still exists."
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

Jamesfirecat wrote:
Good point, there sometimes is a difference between what is allowed and what one wants. Still, given that she seems to be giving him such a powerful version of the silent treatment I wonder how long it will be till they're drawing a line straight down the middle of the house....
She might have powerful in laws who could get offended if someone started smacking their favorite little girl around.
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.
Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

I swear, if Onniel and Lemuel make it out of this intact (physically), they need to appear on some sort of postwar reality TV show...

LoofahBoy
Redshirt

Post by LoofahBoy »

My my, these conspiracies run so deliciously deep. Throughout all this, through all the wars and events since the beginning of this saga, I have this gut feeling that somewhere, far from the eyes of any Angel, Demon, and Man, sits a shadowy figure by the name of Loki, laughing all the while... :twisted:

Either that or good ol' Tzeentch of Warhammer fame is pulling the strings. :)
Baughn
Padawan Learner

Post by Baughn »

It.. would be very like Loki, yes.

Both the playing with mortals, and the playing with fire; he's no stranger to doing things that can backfire. On the other hand, he's also very, very good at talking himself out of trouble.

Tze'entch, though.. well, I'm definitely hoping he doesn't show up. If a god like that is needed, an out-and-out lovecraftian one would fit better, I think.
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

Baughn wrote:It.. would be very like Loki, yes.

Both the playing with mortals, and the playing with fire; he's no stranger to doing things that can backfire. On the other hand, he's also very, very good at talking himself out of trouble.

Tze'entch, though.. well, I'm definitely hoping he doesn't show up. If a god like that is needed, an out-and-out lovecraftian one would fit better, I think.
The thing with Lovecraftian "deities" is that they usually don't give a whit about what humans are doing, we're just in their way. Though there are exceptions like Nyalathorep.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

I like this, more Heavenly dickeries! :D

I hope Dumah ends up alright, maybe even with THE AMNESIA that will cause her HEEL FACE TURN and transformation into SPACE/HEAVENLY LUGA! If she's amnesiac, she could end up re-learning Heaven's ways and ending up doubting them or something!

I like her, she's like Luga - a whore! Whores are god's most beautiful creatures!
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Emerson33260
Youngling

Post by Emerson33260 »

Shroom Man 777 wrote: I like her, she's like Luga - a whore! Whores are god's most beautiful creatures!
"Beautiful" is stretching it, but as one of my friends remarked many years ago during a port call in Subic Bay, "Basic commercial sex is about the only relationship between men and women where both sides know what is going on."
"I have never had anything to do with duels since. I consider them unwise and I know they are dangerous. Also, sinful. If a man should challenge me now I would go to that man and take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet spot and kill him" -Mark Twain
Ted C
Sith Marauder

Post by Ted C »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:I like her, she's like Luga - a whore! Whores are god's most beautiful creatures!
Are we channeling Frank Miller today?
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."
-- The King of Swamp Castle, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

"Nothing of consequence happened today. " -- Diary of King George III, July 4, 1776

"This is not bad; this is a conspiracy to remove happiness from existence. It seeks to wrap its hedgehog hand around the still beating heart of the personification of good and squeeze until it is stilled."
-- Chuck Sonnenburg on Voyager's "Elogium"
Flameblade
Youngling

Post by Flameblade »

Ted C wrote:
Shroom Man 777 wrote:I like her, she's like Luga - a whore! Whores are god's most beautiful creatures!
Are we channeling Frank Miller today?
This is Shroomy. He doesn't channel Frank Miller, Frank Miller channels him.

On-topic, the story is continuing to be just as enthralling as ever, Stuart. I look forward to the day I can buy the dead-tree books.
"Saying science is retarded on the internet is like dissing oxygen out loud." --- Rye
The plural of anecdote is not data and the plural of datum is not proof.
The act of burning up in the Earth's atmosphere is simply your body's effort to dispute the Earth's insistence that you travel at the same speed. The ground is the Earth's closing argument.