Orkish Ogre or Ogrish Ork?

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

TheMuffinKing
Jedi Council Member

Orkish Ogre or Ogrish Ork?

Post by TheMuffinKing »

Here's a little fantasy something I sketched out over the past few days. I might put more work into it, I might not...it is a mystery. What do you think I can do to spruce it up?

loomer
Sith Marauder

Re: Orkish Ogre or Ogrish Ork?

Post by loomer »

My immediate thought is 'big ass stick in right hand', as well as examining the mouth closely. It feels a bit too small and delicate - the entire head seems that way a little, but the mouth especially.
"Doctors keep their scalpels and other instruments handy, for emergencies. Keep your philosophy ready too—ready to understand heaven and earth. In everything you do, even the smallest thing, remember the chain that links them. Nothing earthly succeeds by ignoring heaven, nothing heavenly by ignoring the earth." M.A.A.A
phred
Jedi Knight

Post by phred »

Same here on the head. The mouth looks... wrong, and the eyes are something you would expect on, I want to say, an elf or something. Other than that, nice job.
"Siege warfare, French for spawn camp" WTYP podcast

It's so bad it wraps back around to awesome then back to bad again, then back to halfway between awesome and bad. Like if ed wood directed a godzilla movie - Duckie
TheMuffinKing
Jedi Council Member

Post by TheMuffinKing »

Yeah, I'm having problems getting the mouth just right. I drew it about five times before I got frustrated and just did what I did. I was thinking of changing hings around by adding a thick brow ridge and maybe an open mouth with pointy teeth. Fortunately it's still in pencil so changing it won't be a problem.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Work on the hind/right leg. Give it a little more length and give him a wider, more stable stance. It looks like he is gong to fall forward.
Work on the left arm musculature since it is so prominent in the drawing. Increase the size of his shoulder and maybe decrease the tricep size a bit.
Possibly try to work in a right arm, but I'm not sure on that.
Give his tattoo some curvature since it is not on a flat surface.
Bring his mouth back just a tad (i.e. widen it.) It looks good otherwise as you don't want it to look exactly human.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
TheMuffinKing
Jedi Council Member

Post by TheMuffinKing »

I've implemented some of the suggestions and will try to get all of them in soon. Thanks for your guys' input!

Vastatosaurus Rex
BANNED

Post by Vastatosaurus Rex »

What a wonderful improvement!
And lo, the beast looked upon the face of beauty. And it stayed its hand from killing. And from that day, it was as one dead.
---Old Arabian Proverb
Sinewmire
Padawan Learner

Post by Sinewmire »

The second drawing makes it look very different! It's almost draconic, with that jaw and flattened snout/nose, but still distinctively orc/ogrish with the pointed ears. I like it, I like it a lot.

Only comment is that the pectorals look a bit too close to the neck. Is his head jutting forward and looking down?
"Our terror has to be indiscriminate, otherwise innocent people will cease to fear"
-Josef Stalin
The Cooler King
Padawan Learner

Post by The Cooler King »

Very cool. I love the proportions; my only problem is with the shoulder closest to the viewer seems oddly out of joint, but that's easily fixed with a few lines. Overall, it looks brutal and very tough to beat.
I don't like being a bastard, but they leave me no choice.

-Marshal Law, "The Hateful Dead"
TheMuffinKing
Jedi Council Member

Post by TheMuffinKing »

Sinewmire wrote:The second drawing makes it look very different! It's almost draconic, with that jaw and flattened snout/nose, but still distinctively orc/ogrish with the pointed ears. I like it, I like it a lot.

Only comment is that the pectorals look a bit too close to the neck. Is his head jutting forward and looking down?
I was going to have him headbutt something, so his head would be both I suppose!
The Cooler King wrote:Very cool. I love the proportions; my only problem is with the shoulder closest to the viewer seems oddly out of joint, but that's easily fixed with a few lines. Overall, it looks brutal and very tough to beat.
Thanks! I'll look at the shoulder again soon.