The Salvation War: Pantheocide. Part Eighty One Up

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Jamesfirecat
Padawan Learner

Re: The Salvation War: Pantheocide. Part Forty Seven Up

Post by Jamesfirecat »

Wonder if XY Executive Solutions might at any time have been related to a company named Dark Liquid....
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

how are the angels going to dry up a river and set off a quake. If It's biblical they are probably aiming for 12 on the richter scale. If the hailstones and earthquake cause enough damage an invasion might work. Also, we don't know the power of the dragon
Setzer
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Setzer »

Jamesfirecat wrote:Wonder if XY Executive Solutions might at any time have been related to a company named Dark Liquid....
XE and Executive Outcomes. In fact, I think Blackwater changed their name to XE.
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

Setzer wrote:
Jamesfirecat wrote:Wonder if XY Executive Solutions might at any time have been related to a company named Dark Liquid....
XE and Executive Outcomes. In fact, I think Blackwater changed their name to XE.
The commercial sounded like one of the smaller, second string PMCs. If Xe and the other big PMCs still exist (meaning they haven't been folded up into the military proper) they've probably got a lot more important things to do for the government than spending time on what essentially amounts to bounty hunting.
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.
Peptuck
Is Not A Moderator

Post by Peptuck »

I'm willing to bet that the last Bowl will simply involve the angels opening very high-elevation portals over major population centers and tossing big rocks through.

I'm also willing to bet that DIMON will start countering Michael's use of Heaven->Hell->Earth portals by setting up a Hell-wide network of portal monitoring stations, though they'll need to cover a lot of ground to pull that off.
X-COM: Defending Earth by blasting the shit out of it.

Writers are people, and people are stupid. So, a large chunk of them have the IQ of beach pebbles. ~fgalkin

You're complaining that the story isn't the kind you like. That's like me bitching about the lack of ninjas in Robin Hood. ~CaptainChewbacca
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

If I lived downstream of the Atatürk Dam, I’d be getting mighty nervous about that next bowl of wrath.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
tim31
Sith Devotee

Post by tim31 »

Hell Skim, why not include the Aswan, the Three Gorges, the Hoover...
lol, opsec doesn't apply to fanfiction. -Aaron

PRFYNAFBTFC
CAPTAIN OF MFS SAMMY HAGAR
ImageImage
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

tim31 wrote:Hell Skim, why not include the Aswan, the Three Gorges, the Hoover...
I wonder if the Sixth Bowl involves using portals to reroute the water. It would probably be too risky to try to dump the Euphrates on say, Damascus but flooding Hell with water is going to be at least a minor annoyance (if nothing else, think of the environmental damage that would be caused by drying up rivers messing with riparian ecosystems and saltwater getting all over the place).
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

tim31 wrote:Hell Skim, why not include the Aswan, the Three Gorges, the Hoover...
Because those aren’t on the Euphrates? If I started thinking about other dams, the Mosul dam would be next on my list because not only is it already ready to collapse on its own, but its collapse could and totally halt Iraqi oil production besides all the people it killed. No oil from Iraq be a huge blow to the world war economy. The Atatürk dam failing would have a similar effect, though not as a total, but it would also cause far more other destruction as it demolished the cascade of other dams downstream. Concrete dams like Three Gorges would be much harder to destroy then earth ones, and I don't think its too likely the angles can come up with a way to do it, unless they can open portals inside solid rock.

The reason I suspect dams will fall is because while that doesn’t make a river run dry up front, in Iraq it would mean the Euphrates would nearly dry up in the summers. Those dams were built to control the natural drought-flood cycle after all.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
tim31
Sith Devotee

Post by tim31 »

I guess; although you've got to admit that the annihilation of population centres along the lower Nile by a surge of water would be good drama.
lol, opsec doesn't apply to fanfiction. -Aaron

PRFYNAFBTFC
CAPTAIN OF MFS SAMMY HAGAR
ImageImage
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

It would be, but Egypt is frankly, expendable to the human cause. They don’t produce much and they have no vital resources other then the Suez Canal, which would be unaffected. So it seems much more likely that an attack would be directed at a place that it would do more useful damage. Destroying the Three Gorges Dam would be ideal, since it would wipe out so much Chinese industry and kill even more people then Aswan, but it’s hard to see a way it could be knocked out being an absurdly giant mass of concrete.

Earthen dams would be easier to destroy, because the angles could do something simple but deadly to, them, like open a portal that dumps a river flow onto the face of the dam, quickly eroding a breach. Then the dams own water can takeover the job of destroying it and unleashing a huge flood. Our only defense against this would be to close the portal before a fatal level of damage is done, but that could be only a matter of minutes.
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

One thing I noticed; Ted Kennedy died and was no longer legally a senator. Any chance that will change anytime soon? Or that deceased representatives can serve out their term via teleconferencing.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Omega Scythe
Redshirt

Post by Omega Scythe »

The way I see it, the Sixth Bowl looks like it's going to be a particularly ripe setting for conflict between Yahweh and Michael-Lan, with attack-effectiveness clashing with Yahweh's need to stick to the book. Either way, I'm still praying it turns out to be a dud of a bowl, simply because I want to see Michael grind his teeth for once, instead of being the cunning evil mastermind behind it all. I have yet to see Michael experience the first true feelings of defeat, and I eagerly await to see how he takes it.
SCRawl
Has a bad feeling about this.

Post by SCRawl »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:One thing I noticed; Ted Kennedy died and was no longer legally a senator. Any chance that will change anytime soon? Or that deceased representatives can serve out their term via teleconferencing.
I can't see that changing. Once a person is dead (or, rather, on his "second life") they really don't have to interface much with the first-lifers. It's difficult to know that a senator would take the concerns of his constituents quite as seriously if they no longer even share the same plane of existence. Death seems a reasonable place to end a person's employment.
73% of all statistics are made up, including this one.

I'm waiting as fast as I can.
Sean Mulligan
Padawan Learner

Post by Sean Mulligan »

That Guardian Angel ad sounds like a scam. Why would the military allow a bunchof armed civilians to go in front of them and get in their way?
Land Phish
Redshirt

Post by Land Phish »

So once the bowls of wrath have finished Jesus is supposed to come back to lead the fight against "evil" right? From what I've seen of the dude that is potentially the worst move Yahweh could make in this entire war.
Stuart Mackey
Drunken Kiwi Editor of the ASVS Press

Post by Stuart Mackey »

Lamb Beast? Oh no! Is NZ to be pestered to death by a huge hungry bleating lamb? or are our 30 million or so sheep about to revolt?
Via money Europe could become political in five years" "... the current communities should be completed by a Finance Common Market which would lead us to European economic unity. Only then would ... the mutual commitments make it fairly easy to produce the political union which is the goal"

Jean Omer Marie Gabriel Monnet
--------------
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

Sean Mulligan wrote:That Guardian Angel ad sounds like a scam. Why would the military allow a bunchof armed civilians to go in front of them and get in their way?
Of course its a scam. There is no way to demonstrate the identity of a supposed guardian angel that was supposed to be protecting you but was negligent in its duties, so at no point does the company have to do anything. Well, other than collect premiums from the stupid. However, fraud is one of the corner stones of the free market and people have never let things like a war stop them from profiteering on human misery.
"Show me an angel and I will paint you one." - Gustav Courbet

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
Jamesfirecat
Padawan Learner

Post by Jamesfirecat »

Gil Hamilton wrote:
Sean Mulligan wrote:That Guardian Angel ad sounds like a scam. Why would the military allow a bunchof armed civilians to go in front of them and get in their way?
Of course its a scam. There is no way to demonstrate the identity of a supposed guardian angel that was supposed to be protecting you but was negligent in its duties, so at no point does the company have to do anything. Well, other than collect premiums from the stupid. However, fraud is one of the corner stones of the free market and people have never let things like a war stop them from profiteering on human misery.
Lisa, I'd like to buy your magic rock!

(Home Simpsons, purchasing a "magic rock" which "keeps tigers away" because there aren't any nearby while his daughter holds it)

Edit: On a more philosophical note, one could argue what is war but seeking to make a profit from human misery....
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

Stuart Mackey wrote:Lamb Beast? Oh no! Is NZ to be pestered to death by a huge hungry bleating lamb? or are our 30 million or so sheep about to revolt?
I'd be more worried about Scotland. It's possible that the sheep there could storm a RAF or RN base and steal themselves a pair of nukes.

Seriously I think that either the Lamb or Dragon is going to be unleashed on a major industrial area, like the Pearl Delta River region, the factories around Omsk or some petrochemical facilities.
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Post by Ritterin Sophia »

You're a right bastard Stuart! Wait until right after I go to bed to post a new chapter. Image
A Certain Clique, HAB, The Chroniclers
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Very nice. Now that I think of it, the situation the humans are facing in Pantheocide is rather cool - the complete opposite of what happened in Armageddon. Instead of destroying the enemy with ease, humanity's stuck twiddling its thumbs while Heaven throws shit at us with impunity. Damn!
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:Very nice. Now that I think of it, the situation the humans are facing in Pantheocide is rather cool - the complete opposite of what happened in Armageddon. Instead of destroying the enemy with ease, humanity's stuck twiddling its thumbs while Heaven throws shit at us with impunity. Damn!
However, aside from regional misery, all Heaven is managing to do is piss humankind off more.
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
Ilya Muromets
Jedi Knight

Post by Ilya Muromets »

Now those rocks could really be a big annoyance. Depending on the size, even nuclear-tipped SAMs would just break them up into a rain of a lot of now-radioactive smaller rocks. Pretty much the same real life problem the nuke-to-an-incoming-asteroid scenario faces, on a less cosmic scale.

"Like I said, I don't care about human suffering as long as it doesn't affect me."
----LionElJonson, admitting to being a sociopathic little shit

"Please educate yourself before posting more."
----Sarevok, who really should have taken his own advice
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Where and how the hell do the angels get a rock that big, carry it up, and throw it down a portal?
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!