Listen to music while writing?

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Shinova
Emperor's Hand

Listen to music while writing?

Post by Shinova »

Do you guys listen to music while writing? Does it help or is it a detriment?
What's her bust size!?

It's over NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAND!!!!!!!!!
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Always, right now im working on Chapter 3 of my current Fanfic and i'm listening to "Tonight, Tonight" by Smashng Pumpkins. Also on the playlist we have "Machine Head" by Bush, "Angel" by Stabbing Westward, Yoko Kanno's "Blue", "Time of your Life" by Green Day, "Yesterday" by the Beatles and just to make things interesting "Fifth of Beethoven" and "Mr blue Sky" by ELO.

Tonight Tonight is just completely amazing to me right now, it's like i'm hearing it for the first time all over again.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Re: Listen to music while writing?

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

Shinova wrote:Do you guys listen to music while writing? Does it help or is it a detriment?
Most assuredly it is a blessed assistance. Sountracks include The Fall of the Roman Empire, Ben Hur, Gladiator, 55 Days in Peking, Star Trek, The Last Starfighter, Babylon 5, Battlestar Galactica, Robotech, Airwolf, Dune (Original movie), Stargate, and of course Star Wars; metal such as Metallica, ManOwaR, and Iron Maiden. For classical music, compositions by Tchaikovsky, Rimsky-Korsakov, Edward Elgar, Jean-Baptiste Lully, Bach, Handel, Beethoven, Holst, Strauss, Haydn and Ravel have all been used. Operas I've also listened to while composing have included Boris Godunov and Der Ring des Nibelungen epic, along with Rigoletto and The Flying Dutchman. Oh, and sometimes Sousa marches, too.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
Keevan_Colton
Emperor's Hand
Location: In the Land of Logic and Reason, two doors down from Lilliput and across the road from Atlantis...

Post by Keevan_Colton »

Most of my writing has a fantasy slant to it and for that the likes of Manowar and Blind Guardian are both wonderful choices to listen to.
"Prodesse Non Nocere."
"It's all about popularity really, if your invisible friend that tells you to invade places is called Napoleon, you're a loony, if he's called Jesus then you're the president."
"I'd drive more people insane, but I'd have to double back and pick them up first..."
"All it takes for bullshit to thrive is for rational men to do nothing." - Kevin Farrell, B.A. Journalism.
BOTM - EBC - Horseman - G&C - Vampire
haas mark
Official SD.Net Insomniac

Post by haas mark »

I prefer silence, simply for the fact that I compse music in my head while writing. However, classical music and instrumental soundtracks (as DoZ has suggested) are very helpful in some instances.. I know a LotR soundtrack would help greatly with my False Queen fanfic, and SW/ST/B5 sdtrk would help with The Invasion
Robert-Conway.com | lunar sun | TotalEnigma.net

Hot Pants à la Zaia | BotM Lord Monkey Mod OOK!
SDNC | WG | GDC | ACPATHNTDWATGODW | GALE | ISARMA | CotK: [mew]

Formerly verilon

R.I.P. Eddie Guerrero, 09 October 1967 - 13 November 2005

Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Just about anything.

The music doesn't influence the writing but I particularly like noise...more just as something going on in the background.

Silence is when I'm doing work
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Kelly Antilles
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kelly Antilles »

Music good. I can't stand silence.

In fact. Battle of Hoth is a huge inspiration for combat scenes.
Grand Admiral Thrawn
Ruthless Imperial Tyrant

Post by Grand Admiral Thrawn »

"Imperial March" is great for battle scenes. "Duel of the Fates" is great for well, duels.
"You know, I was God once."
"Yes, I saw. You were doing well, until everyone died."
Bender and God, Futurama
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Either or. I always have something one, sometimes news on the TV, or newsradio, and sometimes I have music. The Asteroid Field from ESB is good for alot of scenes. :D
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
2000AD
Emperor's Hand

Post by 2000AD »

For listening to Duels: Sarabande by Handel (AKA that tune from the Levi's ad)

A good tune to listen to during scenes which involve building up of forces is Palladio (can't trmember who composed it)
Ph34r teh eyebrow!!11!Writers Guild Sluggite Pawn of Chaos WYGIWYGAINGW so now i have to put ACPATHNTDWATGODW in my sig EBC-Honorary Geordie
Hammerman! Hammer!
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

"Path" by Apocalypta never fails for any sort of combat
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

I listen to techno/rave/trance music.
JADAFETWA
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Sometimes. I can't tell if it helps or hurts though. Generally I just have the TV on.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Depends on what I'm writing.

For instance, when writing major duels between characters (things like lightsaber duels), I prefer "Duel of the Fates", "Liberi Fatali" (from Final Fantasy VIII), "One-Winged Angel" (from Final Fantasy VII), or "Dance of Curse" (From Vision of Escaflowne). Sometimes "Dragon God" (from Chrono Cross) works as well.

When writing major combats with multiple participants, I prefer Zimmer or Gregson-Williams music more often than not. Excerpts of "Devoe's Revenge" and "The Chase" from the "Peacemaker" score, "The Battle" and "Barbarian Horde" from Gladiator, and various tracks from "The Rock". For some battles, "No Surrender No Retreat" by Franke (For the B5 ep of the same name) works. A couple tracks from Ace Combat 4's score, including "Whiskey Corridor", also work. And if the battle has "good guy" reinforcements saving the day, I might cue the overture to "The Patriot", or "Summon the Heroes" (the 1996 Olympic theme) for the occasion.

You may laugh, but I also like the final battle music from the Aladdin score for this stuff.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
haas mark
Official SD.Net Insomniac

Post by haas mark »

end of something: Neptune

Suspense: Kokopelli or Palladio or Furiant from Dvorak's Symph. No. 6

Happy: Spring, Summer, or Autumn

Could go on and on, but pulling an all nighter.
Robert-Conway.com | lunar sun | TotalEnigma.net

Hot Pants à la Zaia | BotM Lord Monkey Mod OOK!
SDNC | WG | GDC | ACPATHNTDWATGODW | GALE | ISARMA | CotK: [mew]

Formerly verilon

R.I.P. Eddie Guerrero, 09 October 1967 - 13 November 2005

Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Re: Listen to music while writing?

Post by Master of Ossus »

Shinova wrote:Do you guys listen to music while writing? Does it help or is it a detriment?
I watch TV, but almost everyone I know listens to music.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
2000AD
Emperor's Hand

Post by 2000AD »

Another good one for fight scenes is Devil Dance by Metallica.
Ph34r teh eyebrow!!11!Writers Guild Sluggite Pawn of Chaos WYGIWYGAINGW so now i have to put ACPATHNTDWATGODW in my sig EBC-Honorary Geordie
Hammerman! Hammer!
Setesh
Jedi Master

Post by Setesh »

Yes I liten to music. What depends on what I'm writing. My vs. fic I have the sound track to the five Star Wars movies, the Wrath of Khan soundtrack, and a burned disk containing a selection off of Comscan.net, the opening theme to every ST series, and 'JarJarBinks must die' (doesn't help the writing but is theraputic'

For fantasy I listen to 'Dragonlord' by Domine (songs are based on the Elric books)
"Nobody ever inferred from the multiple infirmities of Windows that Bill Gates was infinitely benevolent, omniscient, and able to fix everything. " Argument against god's perfection.

My Snow's art portfolio.
Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Post by Alferd Packer »

When I write, I usually have White/Rob Zombie blasting. For some reason, it really helps my 'fantasy' mindset. And, you know, Zombie's fucking cool. :mrgreen:
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." - Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, III vi.
Coaan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Coaan »

It depends what type of writing it is, if it's something soft....generally I'd put something instrumental, or if it's say a duel or a battle...something slightly heavier like stormwarrior or manowar, for all round fantasy music, blind guardian or the Demons and wizards cd are great
Xcom ; Standing proud and getting horrifically murdered by Chryssalids since 1994
LT.Hit-Man
Rabid Monkey

Post by LT.Hit-Man »

Fucking aye I do I find that it realy helps me to put feeling into my fics
Brotherhood of the Monkey: Rabid Sith Monkey from hell.
Mad scribbler of the Writer's Guild Headquarters
Grand Inquisitor of ASVS (ret) ASVS Vets Assc.

" poor bruised and mistreated? jesus Christ Iggy, you haven't been watching Voyager reruns again have you? " - Darth Fanboy