Clone Wars season 2

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

VT-16
Sith Marauder

Re: Clone Wars season 2

Post by VT-16 »

Yeah, he kicks an extra lot of ass around Mandalorians. Taking out one of the airborne troops by throwing a spare jetpack and shooting it was pretty cool.
And another instance of Jedis using guns when they have no other option. 8)
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

VT-16 wrote:Pre Viszla, using an ancient stolen lightsabre and backed up by three armored guards, can't defeat Obi-Wan without resorting to missiles. That's how they are matched.
Except for his initial capture by two Mandos of course.

Anyway, I loved the Mandalorian city. Absolutely beautiful. I also liked what to me was pretty obvious romantic tension between Kenobi and the Governor. Keep up the hypocrisy, Jedi. :)

Also, the episode was somewhat lacking in resolution. Death Watch has escaped, and the crisis isn't really resolved. This episode just begs for a sequel.
Srelex
Jedi Master

Post by Srelex »

Incidentally, has there been any crying over the whole 'Mandalorian pacifism' thing yet elsewhere, like on TFN?
"No, no, no, no! Light speed's too slow! Yes, we're gonna have to go right to... Ludicrous speed!"
VT-16
Sith Marauder

Post by VT-16 »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Also, the episode was somewhat lacking in resolution. Death Watch has escaped, and the crisis isn't really resolved. This episode just begs for a sequel.
They have promoted this as a trilogy of episodes, you know. :wink:
Srelex wrote:Incidentally, has there been any crying over the whole 'Mandalorian pacifism' thing yet elsewhere, like on TFN?
Yes, much anguish and villification of Lucas. I like how the press releases imply the EU depictions of the Mandalore culture and history is essentially "fan debates". :P
Srelex
Jedi Master

Post by Srelex »

VT-16 wrote:Yes, much anguish and villification of Lucas. I like how the press releases imply the EU depictions of the Mandalore culture and history is essentially "fan debates". :P
How much involvement did Lucas have with this particular episode or the depiction of the Mandalorians? I can imagine one Lucasfilm employee cackling in his office while he thinks of the best ways to get the Fandalorians red-faced... :wink:
"No, no, no, no! Light speed's too slow! Yes, we're gonna have to go right to... Ludicrous speed!"
VT-16
Sith Marauder

Post by VT-16 »

There really was a big involvement from Lucas on these episodes in particular. According to Dave Filoni, Lucas produced an outline of the story, as he's apparantly done for all the season 2 episodes. He then laid out his look on the Mandalorian warrior culture and how to create some conflict when that culture is changed by pacifists. He even made and named the "Darksabre" when he didn't like the vibroblade weapon Vizsla was originally fighting with.
Srelex
Jedi Master

Post by Srelex »

Ah, I see. So, let's hate Lucas for this addition to his list of crimes--making the Mandos something other than a 2D Proud Warrior Race! :roll: :wink:
Old Plympto
Jedi Master

Post by Old Plympto »

"The peaceful ways of the locals wore me out a bit."

That just cracked me up. So very Obi-Wan.
TC Pilot
Jedi Council Member

Post by TC Pilot »

The Romulan Republic wrote:I also liked what to me was pretty obvious romantic tension between Kenobi and the Governor. Keep up the hypocrisy, Jedi. :)
:lol:

I take it you mean the Duchess, not the governor (the leader of Death Watch)?
"He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot, but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."

"Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero."
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

TC Pilot wrote:
The Romulan Republic wrote:I also liked what to me was pretty obvious romantic tension between Kenobi and the Governor. Keep up the hypocrisy, Jedi. :)

Meh, somebody'll write a fic about it, people on the internet are weird like that.

As for the hypocrisy angle, IIRC while Jedi are apparently tossed out of the order for forming long-term commitments, they aren't above having an occasional dalliance now and then. Obi-Wan has also been "romantic" with Siri Tachi, Adi Gallia's apprentice. They may be retconning the "no love" thing slightly, and even if they did loosen the rules a little bit, Anakin and Padme's "relationship"( :roll: ) could still be a no-no because he's a Jedi and she's a Senator.
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Darksider wrote:Is it just me or was Obi-Wan made of win and awesome in that episode?

Barring the initial incident of getting captured by a pair of Mandalorians, (everyone has a bad day) he completely owned everyone.
He took down more than a few in hand to hand combat. Hand to hand combat. So much for the vaunted beskar armor? Oh, and all the uber-Mando HtH in Betrayal. That and the capital on Mandalore was probably the most beautiful planetside location I've seen in SW. So much for the poor, downtrodden Mandalore I read about in Order 66.

No wonder Traviss quit. :razz:
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

VT-16 wrote:They have promoted this as a trilogy of episodes, you know. :wink:
No I didn't, but I'm glad to here it. Nor am I really surprised, given how this show is unusual in being more multi-episode arcs than stand-alone episodes.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

TC Pilot wrote:

Yeah, I meant the the Duchess. :oops:

Also, sorry for the double post.
SylasGaunt
Sith Acolyte

Post by SylasGaunt »

So the second part played Friday, anyone catch it?

Those assassin droids are entirely too much like a recent experience I had with a spider at home (arachnophobe here).

Also I noticed they managed to sneak the vader music in again.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

SylasGaunt wrote:Also I noticed they managed to sneak the vader music in again.
Oh? What scene was this? I didn't notice Anakin doing anything too Vaderish and I must've missed the music.

I rather liked this episode. So we're up to...two traitors in the Senate? And again the Senate Commandoes go down like punks. heh...

What was up with the 1800s naval captain guy? Some Republic uniform or a Mandalore thing?
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Darwin
Jedi Master

Post by Darwin »

RogueIce wrote:
SylasGaunt wrote:Also I noticed they managed to sneak the vader music in again.
Oh? What scene was this? I didn't notice Anakin doing anything too Vaderish and I must've missed the music.

I rather liked this episode. So we're up to...two traitors in the Senate? And again the Senate Commandoes go down like punks. heh...

What was up with the 1800s naval captain guy? Some Republic uniform or a Mandalore thing?
When he stabbed the traitor senator from behind.

The mandalorian guard actually were deflecting and in some cases reflecting blaster fire from the SBDs. I was impressed. Perhaps they use force sensitives? (Not being strictly a member of the Republic, they would be able to do what they wanted with any force sensitives discovered in the population)

The big ship's wheel was awesome.
VT-16
Sith Marauder

Post by VT-16 »

Nice that the trilogy doesn't end Mandalorian involvement in the series, Spoiler
Vizsla just gets told by Dooku to halt his invasion of Mandalore due to the lack of indigenous support. Many nice visuals too, like the nebula behind the CIS fleet, the Manarai peak with Ralph McQuarrie's café designs surrounding it, the extensive amount of Aurebesh adverts (hopefully they're translatable) and Mon Mothma making a cameo.
8)
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

And once again Palpatine runs circles around everyone in the political arena Spoiler
(at least until the very end of the episode).
On the other hand, actually trying to Spoiler
frame Duchess Satine for murder
seemed a bit too obvious.

I liked how they actually portrayed Satine and her people's pacifism as a legitimate system worth upholding; my experience in the past has been that when pacifism is portrayed on action-oriented TV shows, it is usually portrayed as foolish and naive. It was nice to see an exception to that.

Also, the episode did a great job at maintaining some suspense. Spoiler
There were moments that I really thought Duchess Satine might not make it to the end of the episode, and she was a sympathetic enough character that I think I really would have cared if she died.
Visuals were good as VT-16 observed (the opening shots of Coruscant and the Senate especially caught my notice), and we got some nice Mandalorian vs Kenobi fighting again. Plus some more glimpses of Coruscant law enforcement, including police/Clone equipment that I hadn't seen before- the little flying droid used by the Coruscant police, and the big shields (comparable to those used by riot cops, perhaps?) that the Clones on Coruscant were carrying.

Despite some minor flaws, this was a decent episode. Not my favorite of the series, but decent.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Also - this is the third episode in the series where we have seen people accomplish similar things that jedi manage, either through biology and/or training.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
VT-16
Sith Marauder

Post by VT-16 »

Spoiler
That jump from the crash landing was insane. The speed they were going at, not to mention the height they fell should have caused more damage. I guess the armored guards shielded the Duchess and took most of the blow.

That scene was the second I can remember which uses a cool POV shot. When they're heading for the skyscraper and see a platform, you could really sense the speed they were going at.
I had a similar reaction to the "exiting hyperspace" shot from Grievous Intrigue, going past the fighting ships. Cool that they're expanding the film techniques as well. :D
Srelex
Jedi Master

Post by Srelex »

/What was the name of the episode, just to clarify?
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

VT-16 wrote:Spoiler
That jump from the crash landing was insane. The speed they were going at, not to mention the height they fell should have caused more damage. I guess the armored guards shielded the Duchess and took most of the blow.
Yes, they surrounded her like a cocoon. Still, the kinetic energy alone should have killed all of them unless their armour somehow absorbs it. These royal guards clearly are no ordinary guards - either they have power armour or they are force-sensitive.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
VT-16
Sith Marauder

Post by VT-16 »

The fact that they can block/deflect laser bolts in Voyage of Temptation hints at the second.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

I'm not sure about that, given that we see non-force sensitive Imperial Royal guardsmen like Kir Kanos doing the same thing.
------------
------------
My LPs
VT-16
Sith Marauder

Post by VT-16 »

Ah.

I notice that one of the holofeed messages in Lightsaber Lost actually mentions Kuat Drive Yards. Something about them being awarded a contract or something ("award") was the only thing I made out next to the name before it cut off. Nice.