SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

adam_grif
Sith Devotee

Re: Avatar review thread - NO SPOILERS UNTIL FRIDAY

Post by adam_grif »

Except Earth didn't have unobtainium just a few decades beforehand ; That's not enough time to become dependent on it, since it's not at all like oil: oil is an energy source, unobtainium at best allows more efficient energy distribution. There's no way they could've rewired the entire electrical grid with unobtainium wires within a few decades, and even if they did, it's not like it will collapse the moment unobtainium dries up. The analogy to oil is flawed.
So the answer is "No, they aren't dependent on it, and the people claiming they were was wrong".
Many private companies today are actually allowed to operate machinery that could kill off entire cities ; Chemical plants, for example, would be able to depopulate gigantic areas with their waste products alone. A single oil tanker's load could completely wipe out local ecosystems, commercial airplanes can be used as missiles, not to mention LPG tankers and their potential use as gigantic fuel-air bombs if deliberately set up for such. How about biological research labs? Their equipment can be used to make superbugs which could wipe out millions of people.

Yet, the government allows these companies to operate all that equipment, and nobody tries to argue they should be legally allowed to own tanks, bombers and nuclear weapons, too.
But the RDA already owns mech suits with comically large knives, heavy machine-guns, its own private army, helicopter gunships with missiles etc. They also already have improvised weapons of mass destruction, too. This isn't really on the same level as "well, if they went out of their way to do bad stuff with it, it could be bad", and the destruction caused by a 0.7 C ship with a 500 tonne mass is not even remotely similar to the level of destruction wrought by an oil tanker.

Your analogy there is flawed because it's all stuff that is being re-tasked for bad things, whereas the RDA literally does have advanced military tech, the sole purpose of which is blowing shit up. They can even build as much of it as they want, limited by resources and the speed at which their in-situ factories can pump crap out. The only improvised weapon was the bomber in the film, and if they'd had enough time and known they would need it in advance, they probably could have just built their own dedicated one too.

What was the prior discussion about? Were people saying they wouldn't be allowed to have a strike fighter or something? I'm lost here. Help me out.
A scientist once gave a public lecture on astronomy. He described how the Earth orbits around the sun and how the sun, in turn, orbits around the centre of a vast collection of stars called our galaxy.

At the end of the lecture, a little old lady at the back of the room got up and said: 'What you have told us is rubbish. The world is really a flat plate supported on the back of a giant tortoise.

The scientist gave a superior smile before replying, 'What is the tortoise standing on?'

'You're very clever, young man, very clever,' said the old lady. 'But it's turtles all the way down.'
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

adam_grif wrote: What was the prior discussion about? Were people saying they wouldn't be allowed to have a strike fighter or something? I'm lost here. Help me out.
People are bitching that the RDA did not have strike fighters and tanks and artillery etc. on hand for the final assault. There was even some comical bitching about how "helicopters" would be better then the helicopters shown in film. (which were mistakenly compared to Ospreys).

Frankly, considering what assets regular American military forces in Somalia had *on hand* for the battle of Mogadishu, it doesn't even seem all that unrealistic. Utility and light attack helicopters and humvees. Where were the M1s? The M2s? The M109s?
Last edited by AniThyng on 2010-02-04 07:44am, edited 1 time in total.
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
adam_grif
Sith Devotee

Post by adam_grif »

AniThyng wrote:
adam_grif wrote: What was the prior discussion about? Were people saying they wouldn't be allowed to have a strike fighter or something? I'm lost here. Help me out.
People are bitching that the RDA did not have strike fighters and tanks and artillery etc. on hand for the final assault. There was even some comical bitching about how "helicopters" would be better then the helicopters shown in film. (which were mistakenly compared to Ospreys).
I hardly think that has anything to do with government restrictions given the hardware they do have. More like that they didn't think they would need them so they made do with the already monstrous tech advantage they had over the Na'Vi.
A scientist once gave a public lecture on astronomy. He described how the Earth orbits around the sun and how the sun, in turn, orbits around the centre of a vast collection of stars called our galaxy.

At the end of the lecture, a little old lady at the back of the room got up and said: 'What you have told us is rubbish. The world is really a flat plate supported on the back of a giant tortoise.

The scientist gave a superior smile before replying, 'What is the tortoise standing on?'

'You're very clever, young man, very clever,' said the old lady. 'But it's turtles all the way down.'
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

adam_grif wrote:
AniThyng wrote:
I hardly think that has anything to do with government restrictions given the hardware they do have. More like that they didn't think they would need them so they made do with the already monstrous tech advantage they had over the Na'Vi.
I don't think anyone actually said RDA would be explicitly denied strike fighters, it's just the WMDs. Regardless, strike fighters (and tanks) would be too single purpose to be in the budget. The VTOL gunships at least do not require extensive runways and such. (Ok, so maybe they could have VTOL strike fighters. At which point they might as well make do with the gunships which obviously share components with the utility vtols and thus are more economical.).
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

adam_grif wrote: But the RDA already owns mech suits with comically large knives, heavy machine-guns, its own private army, helicopter gunships with missiles etc. They also already have improvised weapons of mass destruction, too. This isn't really on the same level as "well, if they went out of their way to do bad stuff with it, it could be bad", and the destruction caused by a 0.7 C ship with a 500 tonne mass is not even remotely similar to the level of destruction wrought by an oil tanker.
Of course it's not on the same level as an oil tanker, because the technology at their disposal is way more advanced. I was directly adressing the point about them having a starship which could, potentially, be used in an improvised way to kill off planetary life: it does not automatically lead to the conclusion that they therefore must have access to all sorts of other weapons, since private corps on Earth also can use equipment with WMD potential without having access to any weapons at all. There's nothing preventing the government from saying "well, you can have the ships and helicopters and ex-military goons, but nothing else, we're watching you".
adam_grif wrote: Your analogy there is flawed because it's all stuff that is being re-tasked for bad things, whereas the RDA literally does have advanced military tech, the sole purpose of which is blowing shit up. They can even build as much of it as they want, limited by resources and the speed at which their in-situ factories can pump crap out. The only improvised weapon was the bomber in the film, and if they'd had enough time and known they would need it in advance, they probably could have just built their own dedicated one too.
Except that's not the point I was making ; The argument I was adressing was that it's ridiculous to think the RDA won't be allowed to bring Su-25 frogfoots and nuclear weapons, while at the same time being allowed to operate potentially planet-killing starships. Even if a chemical company has a security detachment armed with top of the line personal gear and armored cars, it doesn't automatically translate into them having access to tanks and artillery and bombers, etc, so it's a rather poor argument. Yours is much better, actually.

That argument is completely separate from others pointing out likely logistical reasons why the RDA didn't devote resources toward maintaining a completely separate force of 1960s fixed-wing airplanes, even if they were allowed to have some (and I agree, there was probably nothing legally stopping them from doing that, if they could have the Dragon)
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

adam_grif wrote:2. Yes, Earth was doing just fine without Unobtanium, just like it was doing just fine prior to Oil. But once society has become dependent on something, it takes a lot of effort to completely 180 the economy, does it not? Again, not sure if we know whether or not it is dependent on it or not, but if it was, claiming that they don't need it just because there was once a time when the planet didn't is not a compelling argument. It's true that 18th century Earth did just fine without petroleum products, but if you suddenly clicked your fingers and the supply unexpectedly tried up tomorrow, people would die, society would collapse and so on. Although invading another people and relocating them to get some more is not a preferred course of action, when you're contrasting it against your own people suffering and dying without it, it suddenly stops being so black and white.

This still hinges on the idea that it would be equivelant to losing our oil supply. I heard someone say that, but again, is there any official word?
Suffering and dying because of it? Does that somehow justify the sheer extent of "American foreign interest" in places like the Middle East, propping up inhumane regimes and true fuckers and funding proxy wars, just because some commodity becomes so useful that America's fatasses become too dependent on it that losing it would become an inconvenience? How many atrocities can "item X's" value justify? Would it be justifiable to put the Na'vi in reservations? Enslave them to pick unobtanium from the cotton fields? Put them in ovens? Or blow the crap out of them from orbit?

Does funding America/humanity's socioeconomic excesses and luxuries, which you regard as vital to your civilization (when even this is debatable), justify the immoral act of killing? So you can sit there cushy in front of your internet computers arguing with people over the internet about some stupid capitalist movie that rakes in billions of dollars while poor people in shitholes like Africa starve to death without tasting anything remotely near your obscene standards of well-being? ( ;) :D )
3. Are people still talking about slagging the planet seriously or are you just exaggerating here? I thought the other guy was bringing up the planetkiller drives as a counterpoint to the idea that they were banned from using serious military hardware? It'd be like letting private citizens own knives, rocket launchers and nuclear weapons but forbidding them from owning handguns. I didn't see anybody actually proposing that we nuke them from orbit.
Perhaps that's why they weren't sanctioned at all to use the "planetkiller" drives at all, then.

A private individual can own an airplane with a planetkiller drive jet engine. If you use maths, a planetkiller drive jet engine probably has more raw energy than a mecha/helicopter/Quarritch machine gun. I mean, geeze, you could fly a jet airplane into the Home Tree Trade Center and killfuck three thousands of Na'vi or something. But today, people CAN own and operate jet aircraft but are NOT allowed access to assault rifles. Presumably this has something to do with goddamn Democrats, and I presume Avatar has Space Democrats which is why Quarritch didn't throw a Tunguska at the Na'vi - as "unrealistic" as this is.

And yes, people have been proposing nuking the Na'vi from orbit months before the movie even aired!
adam_grif wrote:So the answer is "No, they aren't dependent on it, and the people claiming they were was wrong".
Yes.
Your analogy there is flawed because it's all stuff that is being re-tasked for bad things, whereas the RDA literally does have advanced military tech, the sole purpose of which is blowing shit up. They can even build as much of it as they want, limited by resources and the speed at which their in-situ factories can pump crap out. The only improvised weapon was the bomber in the film, and if they'd had enough time and known they would need it in advance, they probably could have just built their own dedicated one too.
Those in-situ factories are NOT Star Trek replicators. They're not a no-limits-fallacy. Did the RDA bring with them blueprints for more advanced and specialized weapons systems? Probably not. Why would they have to? If there's government regulation, don't you think there'd also be regulations on what kind of blue prints and designs the RDA could bring with them? Lol, perhaps their in-situ factories are even programmed to obey Space EPA and Space Californian state carbon emissions standards. :lol:
What was the prior discussion about? Were people saying they wouldn't be allowed to have a strike fighter or something? I'm lost here. Help me out.
[/quote]

People are bitching and moaning that Avatar sucks because the RDA didn't use xyz-"intelligent" military weapons platforms from the 1950s that so would've turned the tide of the war. People are bitching about why Avatar had space helicopters instead of space fixed wings. People are bitching about why the RDA had to have Blackhawks ferry their Rangers instead of using Su-25s to attack the Somalians in Pandora. People are bitching about why the RDA relied on Hueys in the Vietnam War. Or something like that.

Because, lol, stupid weapons systems nobody gives a fuck about totally makes or breaks a movie's believability.
This. And those in-situ factories can't build anything just because you say "earl grey, hot" or whatever. The RDA might not have programmed them with blueprints for fighter planes or tanks. Why? Because they WEREN'T SENT THERE TO WAGE WAR. They were sent there to mine shit out of the ground and stuff.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Blayne
On Probation

Re: Avatar review thread

Post by Blayne »

Sweet, I'm not arguing alone for once.
Except Earth didn't have unobtainium just a few decades beforehand ; That's not enough time to become dependent on it, since it's not at all like oil: oil is an energy source, unobtainium at best allows more efficient energy distribution. There's no way they could've rewired the entire electrical grid with unobtainium wires within a few decades, and even if they did, it's not like it will collapse the moment unobtainium dries up. The analogy to oil is flawed.
Your forgetting that technological growth progresses at an accelerated pace, oil took 2 centuries to get to the point we have it now, having the world economy rely on computers only took 2 decades, how long really would using room temperature superconductors take off in widespread use? Probably less then 6 years.
Samuel
Sith Marauder

Post by Samuel »

Your forgetting that technological growth progresses at an accelerated pace, oil took 2 centuries to get to the point we have it now, having the world economy rely on computers only took 2 decades, how long really would using room temperature superconductors take off in widespread use? Probably less then 6 years.
Except this isn't dictated by technological growth but captial replacement. It depends on how quickly it takes to replace the current systems with the newer ones, how long until they break down and how much their projects depend on the continued improvement of the infrastructure.

Not to mention that we are talking about spaceship full loads of this material- it will not ever be in widespread use. Heck, if worse comes to worse they can simply recycle the unobtanium.
Blayne
On Probation

Post by Blayne »

I think its progressed to a good point if at the time of Avatar people from Zimbobway could take a Maglev train to new york work for a shift and get back home in the same day.
Xess
Jedi Knight

Post by Xess »

Given that Avatar humans can actually build and maintain regular trips with anti-matter star ships it makes absolutely no sense that they can't manage to move people around cheaply without superconducting hypersonic maglevs. The fluff states that the star ships get refueled at Pandora with locally manufactured anti-matter over a year, it makes no sense that Sol system plants couldn't do the same. Since you get equal parts matter and anti-matter when manufacturing it you can't be more than 50% efficient. Which means it takes at least 1.79x10^17 Joules to manufacture 1 kg of anti-matter. The starships probably don't use less than 100 tons of it as fuel which means a production energy of 1.79x10^22 Joules, or 567 TW of time average power over a year. In 2008 the global usage was 15 TW, Avatar uses at least 37.8 times more energy than modern Earth just making anti-matter to get more unobtanium. If they used that to cool low-temp superconducters instead I think they could still manage their maglev network. If the ship has 700 tons anti-matter fuel (if 1/2 of the propellant is also anti-matter fuel with a mass ratio of 4), they use 3970 TW a year making starship fuel, 264 times more than modern Earth. Avatar Earth should logically have no problems solving their problems if they just stop trying to get more unobtanium!
Image[
Xon
Sith Acolyte

Post by Xon »

Superconductors are the holy grail of material sciences, something like unobtainium would completely revamp how everything from computers, power generation and distribution, transportation and even medicine is done.

The question is not what unobtainium is used for, but what isn't it used for because there isn't enough of it.
"Okay, I'll have the truth with a side order of clarity." ~ Dr. Daniel Jackson.
"Reality has a well-known liberal bias." ~ Stephen Colbert
"One Drive, One Partition, the One True Path" ~ ars technica forums - warrens - on hhd partitioning schemes.
adam_grif
Sith Devotee

Post by adam_grif »

Xon wrote:Superconductors are the holy grail of material sciences, something like unobtainium would completely revamp how everything from computers, power generation and distribution, transportation and even medicine is done.

The question is not what unobtainium is used for, but what isn't it used for because there isn't enough of it.
You mean room-temperature superconductors right? I could have sworn that superconductive materials already existed, but only at near-absolute-zero temperatures.
Suffering and dying because of it? Does that somehow justify the sheer extent of "American foreign interest" in places like the Middle East, propping up inhumane regimes and true fuckers and funding proxy wars, just because some commodity becomes so useful that America's fatasses become too dependent on it that losing it would become an inconvenience? How many atrocities can "item X's" value justify? Would it be justifiable to put the Na'vi in reservations? Enslave them to pick unobtanium from the cotton fields? Put them in ovens? Or blow the crap out of them from orbit?
Assuming Earth pulls a miracle out of its ass in this hypothetical dependency situation and everybody instantly agrees to stop using Unobtanium in future products, it's still going to take years to wean off it, to recover from companies going out of business because of it, economic fallout etc. People don't work that way of course.

The other thing we've got to consider is whether Pandora, specifically, was vital to the continuation of Earth's socio-cultural wellbeing. Is it just a situation where they were getting more, better, faster from Pandora, or was it like the only place they were getting reasonable quantities of it?

To answer your question more directly, going Cold-Turkey on a super-commodity like this isn't feasible, and if they suddenly stop getting shipments from their most lucrative mine there will be serious repercussions. Whether it's justifiable or not can be determined by evaluating how many Na'Vi lives would be lost by a forced relocation, and compare this with the number of lives lost, ruined etc on Earth by the fallout of this. We can only estimate obviously, but if there's a clear advantage to doing it, it should become apparently. There are added complications too, like "is one Na'Vi life equal in value to one Human life?"
which you regard as vital to your civilization (when even this is debatable)
It's a "what if", as far as I can tell we've established that it's probably not.
justify the immoral act of killing?
It's a determining the lesser evil situation. Economic collapses aren't cushy.
A private individual can own an airplane with a planetkiller drive jet engine. If you use maths, a planetkiller drive jet engine probably has more raw energy than a mecha/helicopter/Quarritch machine gun. I mean, geeze, you could fly a jet airplane into the Home Tree Trade Center and killfuck three thousands of Na'vi or something. But today, people CAN own and operate jet aircraft but are NOT allowed access to assault rifles.
Are you implying that private companies don't have access to assault rifles?

You're familiar with PMC's aren't you? Various private security firms probably do, as well.
Presumably this has something to do with goddamn Democrats, and I presume Avatar has Space Democrats which is why Quarritch didn't throw a Tunguska at the Na'vi - as "unrealistic" as this is.
They probably have Space-Obama in power, too, and his space-healthcare reforms were destroyed by additions and compromises made by space-special interest groups and space-Republicans. You can tell because the government clearly isn't footing the bill for Jake's space-surgery to repair his spine.

Also, the obvious reason why you wouldn't throw an improvised RKV at them (aside the ethical ones) would be that it would totally ruin your mining site and kill all your crew on the ground.
Those in-situ factories are NOT Star Trek replicators. They're not a no-limits-fallacy. Did the RDA bring with them blueprints for more advanced and specialized weapons systems? Probably not. Why would they have to? If there's government regulation, don't you think there'd also be regulations on what kind of blue prints and designs the RDA could bring with them? Lol, perhaps their in-situ factories are even programmed to obey Space EPA and Space Californian state carbon emissions standards. :lol:
Well they brought a whole bunch of military equipment with them that they shouldn't have if somebody sane was planning a mining operation (armed gunships, mechs with massive machine guns, etc), and it's not implausible for them to have some kind of blue-print database on hand. I ain't sayin' that they necessarily did, but if they'd wanted to build them they could have requested the schematics, or brought them with them when they came. As I said before, the most likely reason is that they never fathomed that they would ever need such a thing. By all rights, helicopter gunships and mechs should have been enough to slaughter the Na'Vi, human turncoats or no. I can't fault them for not realizing that they were the villains in a dances with wolves remake.

Sky Captain
Jedi Master

Post by Sky Captain »

Given that RDA had one operational Dragon gunship and another one in construction and some 20 - 30 Scorpion gunships I think it`s safe to say that they expected relations with natives might go to hell and open war break out at some point. Just for protection against occasional attack from wild animals that force is a massive overkill especially the Dragon. To defend against random pterodactyl in the air machine guns mounted on their regular transport choppers should be sufficient. Missile armed Scorpions and Dragon are overkill for that task.
Bluewolf
Dishonest Fucktard

Post by Bluewolf »

I am really amused that people still love justifying genocide still. Way to go guys. :roll:
adam_grif
Sith Devotee

Post by adam_grif »

Bluewolf wrote:I am really amused that people still love justifying genocide still. Way to go guys. :roll:
Relocation isn't Genocide. I don't see anybody saying we should exterminate them.

Bluewolf
Dishonest Fucktard

Post by Bluewolf »

It's still amusing to see people side with greedy corperate assholes eitherway.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Sky Captain wrote:Given that RDA had one operational Dragon gunship and another one in construction and some 20 - 30 Scorpion gunships I think it`s safe to say that they expected relations with natives might go to hell and open war break out at some point. Just for protection against occasional attack from wild animals that force is a massive overkill especially the Dragon. To defend against random pterodactyl in the air machine guns mounted on their regular transport choppers should be sufficient. Missile armed Scorpions and Dragon are overkill for that task.
There were at least one highly territorial species with natural armor that couldn't be penetrated by machine guns. The Draqon could also be used for quickly transporting AMP suits and other heav(-ier) equipment around, which would be far more convenient than having to drive them back to Hell's Gate on ground vehicles for maintenance, shortening the time they're not providing security to mining operations away from the base.

How did you arrive at 20-30 Scorpions? The gunships were less than 50% half of their total force, at least the one comitted to escorting the mining shuttle. The rest were transport helicopters with some missile hardpoints.

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Sky Captain
Jedi Master

Post by Sky Captain »

PeZook wrote:
Sky Captain wrote:Given that RDA had one operational Dragon gunship and another one in construction and some 20 - 30 Scorpion gunships I think it`s safe to say that they expected relations with natives might go to hell and open war break out at some point. Just for protection against occasional attack from wild animals that force is a massive overkill especially the Dragon. To defend against random pterodactyl in the air machine guns mounted on their regular transport choppers should be sufficient. Missile armed Scorpions and Dragon are overkill for that task.
There were at least one highly territorial species with natural armor that couldn't be penetrated by machine guns. The Draqon could also be used for quickly transporting AMP suits and other heav(-ier) equipment around, which would be far more convenient than having to drive them back to Hell's Gate on ground vehicles for maintenance, shortening the time they're not providing security to mining operations away from the base.

How did you arrive at 20-30 Scorpions? The gunships were less than 50% half of their total force, at least the one comitted to escorting the mining shuttle. The rest were transport helicopters with some missile hardpoints.
It would still make more sense to have at least some AMP suits armed with RPG`s for dealing with occasional titanothere especially since choppers would be ineffective for providing security in the jungle and may not always be available.

While Dragon can be useful for transportation a dedicated transport version of it armed with few machine guns for defense against pterodactyls would make more sense since a bunch of heavy weapons = more weight, less payload and more maintenance.
I think I for some reason also counted regular transports, I just checked the relevant screen shot and there seem to be ~10 Scorpions. Still if the RDA security force is supposed to only provide security and not to attack natives Scorpions are unnecessary.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Sky Captain wrote: It would still make more sense to have at least some AMP suits armed with RPG`s for dealing with occasional titanothere especially since choppers would be ineffective for providing security in the jungle and may not always be available.
We don't know if AMP guns can penetrate titanothere armor, it's entirely possible they can.

Gunships would obviously not always be available, but the places they'd be circling would be big-ass open pit mines, not random spots in the jungle.
Sky Captain wrote:While Dragon can be useful for transportation a dedicated transport version of it armed with few machine guns for defense against pterodactyls would make more sense since a bunch of heavy weapons = more weight, less payload and more maintenance.
Well, yeah. It was Quaritch's baby and could double as a C&C bird, so they probably felt it required some extra weapons than the bare minimum.
Sky Captain wrote:I think I for some reason also counted regular transports, I just checked the relevant screen shot and there seem to be ~10 Scorpions. Still if the RDA security force is supposed to only provide security and not to attack natives Scorpions are unnecessary.
A dozen gunships would give you the ability to maintain 2-4 on constant deployment, or a pair for the mine and Hell's Gate each. This is a great boost to security, and they don't waste transport capacity while doing that. They could also escort Samsons if something Really Bad happens (or when they're unable to defend themselves, such as when they're transporting mobile labs), or be used to kill previously undiscovered Nasty Beasties that show up all of a sudden.

Xon
Sith Acolyte

Post by Xon »

adam_grif wrote:You mean room-temperature superconductors right? I could have sworn that superconductive materials already existed, but only at near-absolute-zero temperatures.
It's a two part statement, the first part explaining that they are highly desirable. The second part explaining what can be done with them if you have above room temperature, non-toxic superconductors which are trivial to handle.

Understanding superconductors is hard. RL superconductors breakdown horribly if too much current is pumped through them, they aren't even ductile and are highly brittle, they are in general highly toxic and require extremely volatile cooling to even work. RL superconductors are little more than than research toys, and other very very expensive ventures.

Something like unobtainium would literially be used in almost every roll you can think of using copper in if they had enough of the stuff.
"Okay, I'll have the truth with a side order of clarity." ~ Dr. Daniel Jackson.
"Reality has a well-known liberal bias." ~ Stephen Colbert
"One Drive, One Partition, the One True Path" ~ ars technica forums - warrens - on hhd partitioning schemes.
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

adam_grif wrote:Also, the obvious reason why you wouldn't throw an improvised RKV at them (aside the ethical ones) would be that it would totally ruin your mining site and kill all your crew on the ground.
See, this is why you throw the RKV at the site before you land. Carefully judged so that the impact crater is just deep enough to expose the juicy ore veins. Sets up your mine and your multi-mile deforested kill zone in one quick operation! You can even send your Avatars out offering humanitarian aid to the poor native tribes affected by this horrible natural disaster.

That's how the Centauri would do it. ;)

NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Reminder folks; nothing demonstates that this Unobtanium is used for anything essential. It could be milled down and snorted for all that's said in the canon.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

NecronLord wrote:Reminder folks; nothing demonstates that this Unobtanium is used for anything essential. It could be milled down and snorted for all that's said in the canon.
Well, it is a room-temperatur superconductor. And we know how usefull those would be.
IIRC, such superconductors are required for their spacetravel, too.

But the sheer fact that they could get to Pandora in the first place means that they can use other materials for that role.#
They may be more expensive, require coolants etc. - but they can do it.
SoS:NBA GALE Force
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The world owes you nothing but painful lessons" - CaptainChewbacca
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Divine Administration - of Gods and Bureaucracy (Worm/Exalted)
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Serafina wrote: Well, it is a room-temperatur superconductor.
According to a spuriously canon website that features Dr Lovecraft the human experimentor who made avatars by developing psychic machineries.

I say it's space crack until I see some official statement canonising that as more than a promotional tool.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Starglider wrote:See, this is why you throw the RKV at the site before you land. Carefully judged so that the impact crater is just deep enough to expose the juicy ore veins. Sets up your mine and your multi-mile deforested kill zone in one quick operation! You can even send your Avatars out offering humanitarian aid to the poor native tribes affected by this horrible natural disaster.

That's how the Centauri would do it. ;)
I am now enjoying the image of the Shadows turning on the RDA, as they turn on all the races they manipulate to fight eventually (see also giving the League worlds the power to fight back against the Centauri) by setting up Na'vi technomages. It's not a fair test if you actually favour one side all the time, after all.