Mass Effect 2 Gameplay

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

adam_grif
Sith Devotee

Re: Mass Effect 2 Gameplay

Post by adam_grif »

Stark wrote:Well the answer is they don't use missiles in the ME universe. You have to ignore the exclusively missile-based combat. Some guy in the codex says so!

Just like how it says that heat mags replace cooldown, and you just throw mags away. Even though... they'd be cool enough to reuse in a few seconds. UH OH. :)
I especially love how the totally isolated community of that downed ship in Jacob's loyalty mission all have weapons that use Thermal clips, even though they've been stranded for 8 years and thermal clips were only introduced in the past 2 years.
A scientist once gave a public lecture on astronomy. He described how the Earth orbits around the sun and how the sun, in turn, orbits around the centre of a vast collection of stars called our galaxy.

At the end of the lecture, a little old lady at the back of the room got up and said: 'What you have told us is rubbish. The world is really a flat plate supported on the back of a giant tortoise.

The scientist gave a superior smile before replying, 'What is the tortoise standing on?'

'You're very clever, young man, very clever,' said the old lady. 'But it's turtles all the way down.'
Andrew_Fireborn
Jedi Knight

Post by Andrew_Fireborn »

Insanity Rant Addendum:

It would seem that the majority of my issue with Insanity is the enemies over scaling.

I started a new character, and thus far it's VASTLY easier. This could be related to making this one an inflitrator, but it doesn't account for the entirety of the difficulty drop.
Rule one of Existance: Never, under any circumstances, underestimate stupidity. As it will still find ways to surprise you.
adam_grif
Sith Devotee

Post by adam_grif »

Andrew_Fireborn wrote:Insanity Rant Addendum:

It would seem that the majority of my issue with Insanity is the enemies over scaling.

I started a new character, and thus far it's VASTLY easier. This could be related to making this one an inflitrator, but it doesn't account for the entirety of the difficulty drop.
Infiltrators are reportedly the most powerful class in the game. I heard that you can one-hit-kill the Thresher Maw if you have the super sniper rifle + tactical cloak for extra damage, but I haven't confirmed this for myself.
A scientist once gave a public lecture on astronomy. He described how the Earth orbits around the sun and how the sun, in turn, orbits around the centre of a vast collection of stars called our galaxy.

At the end of the lecture, a little old lady at the back of the room got up and said: 'What you have told us is rubbish. The world is really a flat plate supported on the back of a giant tortoise.

The scientist gave a superior smile before replying, 'What is the tortoise standing on?'

'You're very clever, young man, very clever,' said the old lady. 'But it's turtles all the way down.'
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

I'll be sure to check that out, as I'm building an Infiltrator to play Insanity with (a replay of my very first Mass Effect 1 character).
Pulp Hero
Jedi Master

Post by Pulp Hero »

Question: I'm doing my second playthrough as an Infiltrator. I didn't pick up the super-sniper on my first playthrough, can I get it this time on the IFF mission, or am I stuck?

Weird off topic question: When I meet Garrus, there is a Renegade interrupt moment that happens when he hands me his rifle to spot over the bridge. Shepard sees LOKI robots and has the interrupt option to pull the trigger and headshot one. Why exactly is this "Renegade"? Because I used a bullet that Garrus paid for?
I can never love you because I'm just thirty squirrels in a mansuit."

"Ah, good ol' Popeye. Punching ghosts until they explode."[/b]-Internet Webguy

"It was cut because an Army Ordnance panel determined that a weapon that kills an enemy soldier 10 times before he hits the ground was a waste of resources, so they scaled it back to only kill him 3 times."-Anon, on the cancellation of the Army's multi-kill vehicle.
open_sketchbook
Jedi Master

Post by open_sketchbook »

You don't actually get any renegade points for it. I think it's renegade just because the "fire" button and the renegade button are the same.
1980s Rock is to music what Giant Robot shows are to anime
Think about it.

Cruising low in my N-1 blasting phat beats,
showin' off my chrome on them Coruscant streets
Got my 'saber on my belt and my gat by side,
this here yellow plane makes for a sick ride
adam_grif
Sith Devotee

Post by adam_grif »

Pulp Hero wrote:Question: I'm doing my second playthrough as an Infiltrator. I didn't pick up the super-sniper on my first playthrough, can I get it this time on the IFF mission, or am I stuck?
You're stuck. When you get up to that point again you won't get any choices.

Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

adam_grif wrote:
Pulp Hero wrote:Question: I'm doing my second playthrough as an Infiltrator. I didn't pick up the super-sniper on my first playthrough, can I get it this time on the IFF mission, or am I stuck?
You're stuck. When you get up to that point again you won't get any choices.
Really? That blows. I was hopping to get the assault rifle on my second playthrough. So far, that is the only one that you don't seem to get anywhere else in the game.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Grandmaster Jogurt
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grandmaster Jogurt »

Is the "super-sniper" the anti-materiel rifle? Can Shepard use the one you pick up off the ground in that one mission but not the one you can build or something?
Aaron
Blackpowder Man

Post by Aaron »

Grandmaster Jogurt wrote:Is the "super-sniper" the anti-materiel rifle? Can Shepard use the one you pick up off the ground in that one mission but not the one you can build or something?
Yes and yes. You can build it for Legion but not yourself.
M1891/30: A bad day on the range is better then a good day at work.
Grandmaster Jogurt
Jedi Council Member

That's pretty dumb. Couldn't they have edited the flavour text so that this version didn't explicitly say that humans would never be able to use it? Was there at least some indication Shepard could use it that I missed? I wanted it but figured a new weapon slot was worth more than getting Legion his gun for free.

Oh well, I think I saved before that mission if I figure it's worth going back for.
Aaron
Blackpowder Man

Post by Aaron »

Well there is, buried in the upgrades and the opening. They put a lot of robotic bits in Shep when they rebuild him but some of the upgrades (the heavy bone weave and such) are stated to be cybernetic implants that enhance your strength.
adam_grif
Sith Devotee

Post by adam_grif »

I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite thread on the Citadel.

Kind of lame how he gives identical endorsements to every shop.

Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

adam_grif wrote:I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite thread on the Citadel.

Kind of lame how he gives identical endorsements to every shop.
Yeah, the renegade discount options are much more fun. Not as much fun as punching reporters in the face, but better than one canned line.
neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

Though it would have been neat if it came back to bite him in the ass.
Member of the BotM. @( !.! )@
Aaron
Blackpowder Man

Post by Aaron »

I have one achievement left; the insanity one. That difficulty level really highlights just how fucking stupid your squadmates are. They regularly break from cover and get gunned down, or stand on top of a box in a firefight. Once Zaeed stood not five feet in front of a heavy mech, blasting away with his rifle and promptly got killed.

I suppose the bright spot is that they don't try and drill holes through walls anymore. :roll:
Grandmaster Jogurt
Jedi Council Member

I noticed my squadmates last considerably longer if I put them all on sniper rifle duty, assuming there's not some incoming zombie wave at the moment or something like that. Has anyone tried anything like that on Insanity? I'm curious if it's actually effective or if it's just luck on my part.
Joviwan
Jedi Knight

Post by Joviwan »

A quick note for biotics users: At least on Normal, A maximum level Pull (I chose AoE pull, so this might not be true for both specializations) instantly kills Husks, both the charging and explosion types. This made zerg-rushes much, much easier for me.
Drooling Iguana: No, John. You are the liberals.
Phantasee: So extortion is cooler and it promotes job creation!
Ford Prefect: Maybe there can be a twist ending where Vlad shows up for the one on one duel, only to discover that Sun Tzu ignored it and burnt all his crops.
Andrew_Fireborn
Jedi Knight

I found Shockwave to do the same.

I wonder if any similar skill will do so, or if it's just biotics.
Rule one of Existance: Never, under any circumstances, underestimate stupidity. As it will still find ways to surprise you.
Agent Fisher
Rabid Monkey

Post by Agent Fisher »

Maxed out heavy shockwave is where it's at for tossing aside a horde of husks that are rushing you.
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

Shockwaves are just FUN.
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Aaron
Blackpowder Man

Post by Aaron »

Grandmaster Jogurt wrote:I noticed my squadmates last considerably longer if I put them all on sniper rifle duty, assuming there's not some incoming zombie wave at the moment or something like that. Has anyone tried anything like that on Insanity? I'm curious if it's actually effective or if it's just luck on my part.
I haven't, but I will after I grab Garrus.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Fuck's sake, even with near full Renegade, I can't use the Renegade dialog option in the Tali/Legion faceoff. Fucked - only option is to lie to Tali by telling Legion to transmit anyway after she leaves.

A lot of people complain about this. Bug?
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Andrew_Fireborn
Jedi Knight

Seems that you need something like 80% to resolve it the first time...

and 100% if you can't during the fight... :roll:
Steven Snyder
Jedi Master

Post by Steven Snyder »

Vympel wrote:Fuck's sake, even with near full Renegade, I can't use the Renegade dialog option in the Tali/Legion faceoff. Fucked - only option is to lie to Tali by telling Legion to transmit anyway after she leaves.

A lot of people complain about this. Bug?
I noticed the same thing, I was just a hair under maxed out Renegade and couldn't do it...